PDA

View Full Version : Aussies bending up the equipment

usgrandprix
16th May 2008, 21:47
Briscoe and Power tagged the wall today. Both are unhurt.

Briscoe's was the backup car. He's having a rough start to the season--though not all his fault. Showing good pace, but I think Roger might be losing patience. Lot of pressure on him in the race. And it's the premiere ride in the series, I think.

Power is struggling on ovals while Servia seems more consistent.

Both were running fast times and I'm sure Briscoe was in race trim.

NickFalzone
16th May 2008, 21:52
All I know is that some of the biggest practice wrecks have happened in backup or test cars, with ok setups that drivers push way past their limit. I understand the importance of having a backup, but trying to run a 223+ in it seems pretty aggressive.

ShiftingGears
17th May 2008, 02:38

I haven't seen any Indy results that have suggested this at all.
Gotta find the limit somehow ;)

millencolin
17th May 2008, 03:07

4th fastest... Beating AGR and othe IRL regulars... 6th fastest yesterday yeah he really seems to be struggling. If anything he is constantly improving, but this crash is going to be a setback

I hope that KV can get that car rebuilt because i believe he can easily qualify in the next 11 if that car is rebuilt.

As for Briscoe, he only crashed the spare, the main car is still intact. Plus he has shown some great speed this month.

I am really looking forward to this race. But its going to be a long night (Monaco gp on the same night, Webber's best chance of the success)

racer69
17th May 2008, 04:55
Worth remembering Power has run less than 5 oval races......

With Briscoe, Roger seemingly see's something worthwhile, Briscoe got the ride from driving Sportscars & after his awful 2005 season.

usgrandprix
18th May 2008, 00:28
I totally agree it's early days to judge Power, and I'm pulling for him, but the fact remains he finished last on his two ovals this year and then wrecked here the other day. It's all part of learning as he's pushing, and a good result will do him worlds. Continued bad results could wear on him. Wonder if Servia is good for him?

Briscoe needs to start producing if he wants to prove he's not the same driver who speared Patrick and Castroneves at Sonoma a few years ago. He's replacing Hornish. With one series anyone is fair game for a Penske ride now: Wilson, Power, Rahal, you name it. Who wouldn't jump on it? A good Indy will help a lot.

NickFalzone
18th May 2008, 02:55
Briscoe qualified on the front row of Indy, give the guy a little credit. Roger is not expecting 2006-7 Hornish performance out of Briscoe right off the bat. If Ryan is DNFing next season, or has a really bad end to this season, then I agree he's on thin ice. But all this talk is very premature considering he has shown some promise so far.

ShiftingGears
18th May 2008, 03:06
Briscoe is showing promise, so long as he doesn't crash. Would've got a good result in Homestead of Duno could drive. Was 5th in Indy last year.

nigelred5
18th May 2008, 03:27
Briscoe is showing promise, so long as he doesn't crash. Would've got a good result in Homestead of Duno could drive. Was 5th in Indy last year.

Unfortunately, Briscoe is picking up right where he left off with Ganassi.

usgrandprix
18th May 2008, 03:51
Unfortunately, Briscoe is picking up right where he left off with Ganassi.

I wonder, though. That was a rough year for Ganassi. Toyota engine was a dog and even Dixon looked average--which is some feat.

They had those cars so trimmed out just to finish a lap down--or in the wall.

But I did raise an eyebrow at his Sonoma brain fade where he was expected to show a bit better.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what I think. Penske makes the decision. That's all I'm saying here. I'm sure he'll get the year, but it might be back to the sports cars.