PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR star Kyle Busch to test Toyota F1 car in Japan

Giuseppe F1
16th May 2008, 19:37
This is going to be great to see.

As the report states the test will be in Japan, I imagine that this will take place at the Toyota Motorsports End of Year Festival at the Fuji Speedway which Toyota own.

Seems Kyle has a bit of the open-wheel bug.....IIRC, didnt he test a Champcar a few years back too?

If Toyota plan to extend this invitation to any more of their NASCAR drivers, would love to see Tony Stewart get a run in an F1 car finally......if he can fit that is! :p

------------------------------------------

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20361.html

MAY 16, 2008

NASCAR star Kyle Busch to test Toyota F1

MAY 16, 2008

Kyle Busch, the 23-year-old rising star of NASCAR, says that he will be testing a Formula 1 car later this year in Japan. Busch drives an M&M-sponsored Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing and it is anticipated that the test would be at the wheel of a Toyota Formula 1 car. The youngster has been racing in the NASCAR Sprint Cup since 2004 when he did six races with Hendrick Motorsports. He won his first Cup race a year later at the California Speedway, becoming the youngest-ever winner in the NASCAR Cup Series, at 20 years and 125 days. He followed that with a second victory two months afterwards at Phoenix and was named Rookie of the Year. In 2006 he was a frontrunner but ended the year 10th in the championship. He continued with Hendrick in 2007 but in July last year Hendrick announced it was signing up Dale Earnhardt Jr and he he found himself looking for work, ending up at Joe Gibbs. This year he has won three races to date.

He says that he would like to go to Formula 1 before he is 30 but the Nevadan understands that convincing an F1 team to take him seriously is going to require a lot of winning in NASCAR.

RaikkonenRules
16th May 2008, 19:55
Please tell me that arrogant little punk's not going to be in F1. Gee wins one nationwide road race and thinks he can be a F1 driver.

Tazio
16th May 2008, 23:27
If he joins f1 he'll need to learn how to speak Englishhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

millencolin
17th May 2008, 03:18
i am looking forward to this test actually... might be good for a laugh

aryan
17th May 2008, 05:58
Yep, it will be good for a laugh if they ever publish his times...

Jag_Warrior
17th May 2008, 06:22
Please tell me that arrogant little punk's not going to be in F1. Gee wins one nationwide road race and thinks he can be a F1 driver.

Sure. Why not? Darling Danica finally wins a pro race and she is close to getting an F1 test. He wins more races on the average weekend than she's won in her life. I think Kyle deserves at least a test.

I think he's a punk too. But he's a fast and rather talented punk. And he's a genuine NASCAR red, white & blue star. He may run it in the gravel on the out lap. But if Toyota can do anything with his talents and direct his aggression, I'd say they'll jump on it... unless he is a total goof in the test. If it works out, I think that'll work better than the affirmative action PR tour the IRL is pushing with Danica. Or the rotating Not Ready For Primetime lineup that Champ Car tried until its death. People are more likely to connect with a series if they can connect with some of the drivers.

wedge
17th May 2008, 14:43
Great

Nice to see some ignorant F1 fans.

cy bais
17th May 2008, 21:41
Toyota F1 is just not the place for Kyle. But like many, i'd be interested in seeing him make left and right turns.

POS_Maggott
17th May 2008, 23:47
A lot of open wheel guys that hop into stock cars say that they are the hardest things they have ever driven. Ex-F1 stars like Montoya agree. If Shrub can wheel a stock car the way he does, he might impress a lot of people when he tests (assuming its not just for publicity)

And it was Kurt Busch that tested the Champ Car back in 02 or 03. He was actually pretty quick and right up there with the Champ Car regulars during the test..

Placid
18th May 2008, 02:08
I would have gone with A-Jax.

anthonyvop
18th May 2008, 03:44
Seems Kyle has a bit of the open-wheel bug.....IIRC, didnt he test a Champcar a few years back too?

That was Kurt Bush, Kyle's more talented brother. Actually Kurt impressed more than a few people that day in a Champ Car. He posted some quick times in only a few short laps in what was just suppose to be a Publicity/Photo-op.

call_me_andrew
18th May 2008, 04:35
If he joins f1 he'll need to learn how to speak Englishhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

If by "English" you mean a constant stream of profanities and complaints: job done.

That was Kurt Bush, Kyle's more talented brother.

I'm not sure how you decided that Kurt is more talented, but it certainly wasn't by the point system.

gloomyDAY
18th May 2008, 04:40
I'm not sure how you decided that Kurt is more talented, but it certainly wasn't by the point system.LOL!

Why are so many members offended by the presence of Kyle in an F1 car?
The kid is aggressive, potent and ready for the challenge.

Let him take a ride and see how he does!

dc10
18th May 2008, 11:47
LOL!

Why are so many members offended by the presence of Kyle in an F1 car?
The kid is aggressive, potent and ready for the challenge.

Let him take a ride and see how he does!

Agreed :)

anthonyvop
19th May 2008, 04:56
I'm not sure how you decided that Kurt is more talented, but it certainly wasn't by the point system.

WINS:
Kurt Bush 17
Kyle Bush 14

Top Tens
Kurt Bush 106
Kyle Bush 61

Cup Championships
Kurt Bush 1
Kyle Bush 0

xtlm
19th May 2008, 09:26
WINS:
Kurt Bush 17
Kyle Bush 14

Top Tens
Kurt Bush 106
Kyle Bush 61

Cup Championships
Kurt Bush 1
Kyle Bush 0

not sure where those numbers came from

look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NASCAR_drivers

their names are right next to each other

i would say they are almost as good as each other, with kurt having a slight edge....but this also may be due to the fact that he has more starts, and has been around longer

more digging into the drivers stats and history is needed....what teams they drove for when may play an account also

MAX_THRUST
19th May 2008, 12:01
I would assume this test is a token gesture and not alot else. Why go for him when there is a grid full of competent GP2 racers, who won't cost as much to run with, who are more experienced and groomed for F1 than a NASCAR driver, especially odd when there isn't even an F1 race in the States anymore, unless they are going to UTAH?

Good luck if it hapens, he can't do any worse than DAnica.

F1boat
19th May 2008, 12:03
A lot of open wheel guys that hop into stock cars say that they are the hardest things they have ever driven.

They struggle in DTM too, but on the other hand Albers weren't invincible in F1 either. It's huge risk to try something totally different, although it is exciting.

ArrowsFA1
19th May 2008, 12:36
Good luck to him if he gets the opportunity :up:

It was fun to see Montoya and Gordon swap cars (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2_IfM5X7QIU) at Indy a few years ago, and while Gordon hasn't yet made it to F1 we all know where JPM ended up.

aryan
19th May 2008, 12:53
not sure where those numbers came from

look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NASCAR_drivers

Nice to see that our American friends also have the same kind of debates we suffer from in the F1 forum ;)

BenRoethig
19th May 2008, 22:34
WINS:
Kurt Bush 17
Kyle Bush 14

Top Tens
Kurt Bush 106
Kyle Bush 61

Cup Championships
Kurt Bush 1
Kyle Bush 0

Kurt Busch Rookie Year 2001. Starts 267
Kyle Busch Rookie Year 2005. starts 125

Kurt Busch won 6.37% of races entered 39.7% top 10s
Kyle Busch won 11.2% of races entered 48.8% top 10s.

veeten
20th May 2008, 00:53
Good luck to him if he gets the opportunity :up:

It was fun to see Montoya and Gordon swap cars (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2_IfM5X7QIU) at Indy a few years ago, and while Gordon hasn't yet made it to F1 we all know where JPM ended up.

I remember that. 'Tradin' Paint', as it was called back in '03. Interesting thing was that Gordon was doing laps in the latter run that were just a few tenths off qualifying for the USGP grid. And that was with a car with no race or qually setup, just a neutral car. Not bad.

The whole thing with Busch is more of a promotional deal for Toyota, since Gibbs Racing will be bringing over their Sprint Cup car. Just hoping that Jarno & Timo will get a chance to drive it, in the same way that Montoya got to drive Gordon's car.

anthonyvop
20th May 2008, 04:24
Kurt Busch Rookie Year 2001. Starts 267
Kyle Busch Rookie Year 2005. starts 125

Kurt Busch won 6.37% of races entered 39.7% top 10s
Kyle Busch won 11.2% of races entered 48.8% top 10s.
Stats, Stats Stats.

Kurt drives for Penske Racing. That explains the drop in Stats.

Kurt is just a better driver.

Cozzie
20th May 2008, 06:45

Arrogant little punk? Have you seen Kyle race this year? He is absolutely remarkable, he drives a car like no one else in the series. This year Kyle has turned NASCAR on its head and has won a lot more than a nationwide road race, Talladega? Atlanta? Darlington? And he is leading the points.

Personally, while I think it is great to see Kyle getting this opportunity I hope it doesn't go any further because he is an incredibly exciting driver and the common denominator in F1 at the moment is that few of the drivers have personalities nor are they exciting to watch. I don't want Kyle in F1 for the fear that it would make him more careful and more dull. JPM was F1s Mr Personality, he is clearly more suited to NASCAR as those drivers are publicly a different breed. Motorsport needs more drivers like Kyle Busch.

wedge
20th May 2008, 12:58
Agree with you there Cozzie.

Kyle isn't exactly a fan favourite but he's a character.

It's funny how he was complaining about the COT last year and yet it was pure joy watching him at places like Atlanta driving a race car on the edge as if he was riding rodeo.

call_me_andrew
21st May 2008, 04:35
I would assume this test is a token gesture and not alot else. Why go for him when there is a grid full of competent GP2 racers, who won't cost as much to run with, who are more experienced and groomed for F1 than a NASCAR driver, especially odd when there isn't even an F1 race in the States anymore, unless they are going to UTAH?

Good luck if it hapens, he can't do any worse than DAnica.

I don't see what the location of the races has to do with the nationality of the drivers. For all of Kyle's arrogance, he has remarkable car control.

I think Williams was impressed with Jeff Gordon's results at Indy. But Gordon is too old for a major career change. Kyle is young enough to make such a transition.

Miller Motorsport Park can't afford FIA approval for a Formula One race. Tony George is currently looking for a title sponsor so he can afford to get the USGP back at Indy.

Racing is great because it combines cars and sports: the last two parts of life where blind regional hatred are socially acceptable.

truefan72
21st May 2008, 08:55
Great

Nice to see some ignorant F1 fans.

agreed :up:

Kyle bush is fas as heck and it should be interesting to see how he does.
After his performance I'll then be able to make an informed comment.

The last Nascar guy to test an F1 car was Gordon in Indy in 2003. After about 5 laps or so he was nearly up to pace. "Unofficial times for each driver had Montoya turning a fast lap of 1 minute, 39.9 seconds in the No. 24 DuPont Monte Carlo and Gordon turning a fast lap of 1 minute, 16.5 seconds in the HP Williams-BMW FW24. Montoya qualified fourth last year for the United States Grand Prix in the FW 24 at 1:11.414." (from allstate400atthebrickyard.com)

I think Busch might do a bit better than that

these guys are all race drivers after all.

Nicholas Morse
25th May 2008, 10:00
You can't use Wikipedia as a source for a position in an argument.

-Nic

Nicholas Morse
25th May 2008, 10:19
Starts:
--------
Kurt Busch - 267 starts
Kyle Busch - 125 starts

Average Finish:
---------------
Kurt Busch - 18.61
Kyle Busch - 18.84

Wins:
-----
Kurt Busch - 17
Kyle Busch - 7

Winning Percentage:
-------------------
Kurt Busch - 6.36%
Kyle Busch - 5.60%

Top-Fives:
----------
Kurt Busch - 57
Kyle Busch - 37

Top-Fives Percentage:
---------------------
Kurt Busch - 21.34%
Kyle Busch - 29.60%

Top-Tens:
---------
Kurt Busch - 106
Kyle Busch - 59

Top-Tens Percentage:
--------------------
Kurt Busch - 39.70%
Kyle Busch - 47.20%

Times Punched:
--------------
Kurt Busch - 1.5*
Kyle Busch - 0

Times Punched Percentage:
-------------------------
Kurt Busch - 0.05%
Kyle Busch - 0.00%

Championships:
--------------
Kurt Busch - 1
Kyle Busch - 0

-Interesting tidbit: The last time Kurt Busch won a championship was the season after Jimmy Spencer punched him in the face. (Spencer punched in 2003, Busch won in 2004) So if history and statistics prove to be a bearing for future NASCAR trends, Busch should be the 2009 Sprint Cup Champion.**

*The Stewart v. Busch incident in 2008 has yet to be verified if it was a punch or slap.
**If it turns out that Stewart only slapped Busch, than Busch will simply make The Chase and any promise of a championship is less assured.

-Nic

Nicholas Morse
25th May 2008, 10:28
Part 3:

I think Ky. Busch would do well in F1, although he wouldn't be happy, and he wouldn't stay quiet about it either. He would tell Toyota that their cars suck and he would stand on top of his soapbox telling the world he would be better if he were in this car or that car, anything but Toyota's equipment in F1. I think he would improve the performance of Toyota in F1 with his driving style but if he is going to go to F1, he needs to get in a BMW, Red Bull-Renault, Renault, Ferarri, or McClaren. He is too good for Force India, STR-Ferarri, Honda, Toyota, and Williams-Toyota.

-Nic

dwboogityfan
25th May 2008, 17:06
As a fan of both F1 and NASCAR I think Kyle would do a good job in F1 (given time) but perhaps would be too outspoken for the politically correct F1 world.
Kyle seems to have more car control than about any driver I have seen and extremely fast so I'd be interested to see how the test turned out.

Tallgeese
25th May 2008, 17:11
Toyota F1 are poorly managed. To get Timo Glock (who today earned the 'spinner of the year' title) & can reasonably be charged with dangerous & erratic driving & to look for a NASCAR person is just appalling, & shows how desperate they are. If I was Toyota F1's principle I would look to cutting off Glock right now & try to sign up somebody like Fisichella.

jens
25th May 2008, 22:35
Toyota F1 are poorly managed. To get Timo Glock (who today earned the 'spinner of the year' title) & can reasonably be charged with dangerous & erratic driving & to look for a NASCAR person is just appalling, & shows how desperate they are. If I was Toyota F1's principle I would look to cutting off Glock right now & try to sign up somebody like Fisichella.

I don't think the hiring of Timo itself was a poor decision as he after all was a GP2 champion. Sure all the lower series champions won't become champions in F1, but until they haven't been hired, we'll never know and therefore need to find out. I have to say that by raw speed he is coming to the grips with the car by matching Jarno in the qualis, he just needs to start keeping the car on the track. I think he has potential (more than let's say Nakajima or Piquet Jr). Hopefully he can find his confidence and consistency during the rest of the season.

Chaparral66
26th May 2008, 05:45
Tony Stewart in an F1 car? He's been drinking way too many milkshakes in his hometown of Columbus, Indiana. I doubt he could fit in the safety car. I really don't think anyone should get an F1 test before Robby Gordon, whom I think would surprise everyone with how quick he would be. But if Kyle goes, I wish him the best of luck. Toyota won't stay down in F1 for long, and he may hit it at just the right time...

Tallgeese
26th May 2008, 10:50
I don't think the hiring of Timo itself was a poor decision as he after all was a GP2 champion. Sure all the lower series champions won't become champions in F1, but until they haven't been hired, we'll never know and therefore need to find out. I have to say that by raw speed he is coming to the grips with the car by matching Jarno in the qualis, he just needs to start keeping the car on the track. I think he has potential (more than let's say Nakajima or Piquet Jr). Hopefully he can find his confidence and consistency during the rest of the season.

He came 8th in ChampCar (which I actually found as an interesting potential feeder to F1 despite the spec-status) & 4th in his first year at GP2, followed by a first place. His performance has always been frought by luck. Glock is a danger to everybody & his 'performance' (or lack of) at Monaco was appalling. 3-spins, his recoveries could have caused dangers, & his other 'performances' (Australia for example) indicate that he's a danger to himself & other drivers. Even his GP2 win was not convincing. If I was Toyota F1 I would have made efforts to get somebody else & completely shun Glock.

As for his 'potential' I'd say that Nakajima (like all Japanese drivers) is very is very disciplined, but lacks initiative & or fire, whereas Piquet Jr. is still too raw for F1 & I personally think that it was a mistake for him to start in 2008 especially when Fisichella is the best second-driver Alonso has ever had & the two work well together. Yes, my Chinese horoscope is the Rooster & I believe in proven things rather than gambling.

ShiftingGears
26th May 2008, 12:34
Tony Stewart in an F1 car? He's been drinking way too many milkshakes in his hometown of Columbus, Indiana. I doubt he could fit in the safety car. I really don't think anyone should get an F1 test before Robby Gordon, whom I think would surprise everyone with how quick he would be. But if Kyle goes, I wish him the best of luck.

Of all people I would put in an F1 car I would not want someone who has as little control over his temper as Robby Gordon.

Toyota won't stay down in F1 for long,

Reckon they'll pull out soon? :p :

veeten
26th May 2008, 14:24
way too many posters are reading way too much into this. :crazy: ;)

It's just a promotional deal, that's all. :)

jens
26th May 2008, 18:56
He came 8th in ChampCar (which I actually found as an interesting potential feeder to F1 despite the spec-status) & 4th in his first year at GP2, followed by a first place. His performance has always been frought by luck. Glock is a danger to everybody & his 'performance' (or lack of) at Monaco was appalling. 3-spins, his recoveries could have caused dangers, & his other 'performances' (Australia for example) indicate that he's a danger to himself & other drivers. Even his GP2 win was not convincing. If I was Toyota F1 I would have made efforts to get somebody else & completely shun Glock.

Well. I agree that Glock was abysmal at Monaco, but I would give him time until the end of the season before making decisive conclusions. As I said - he has raw pace, just needs to minimize the amount of mistakes. If he crashes until the end of the season, then I agree he should be out.

About ChampCar. He drove for Rocketsports team, which was not very competitive. And in 2006 in GP2 he spent half of the season in one of the worst teams. After he had switched to iSport in midseason, his results were a match to Hamilton and Piquet for the rest of the season. I still remember a wonderful fight between Timo and Lewis at Istanbul. :up:

Oh and what luck are you talking about? :p : Last year guys were ramming him out (even on a warm-up lap!) and he had an awful amount of technical problems in GP2, which enabled di Grassi to stay in contention until the end. IMO Glock was clearly the best GP2 driver of 2007. Considering his showings in lower series I have constantly thought that he deserves another chance in F1. Now the key question is that how will he use his 'chance'.

Tallgeese
26th May 2008, 23:43
Well. I agree that Glock was abysmal at Monaco, but I would give him time until the end of the season before making decisive conclusions. As I said - he has raw pace, just needs to minimize the amount of mistakes. If he crashes until the end of the season, then I agree he should be out.

About ChampCar. He drove for Rocketsports team, which was not very competitive. And in 2006 in GP2 he spent half of the season in one of the worst teams. After he had switched to iSport in midseason, his results were a match to Hamilton and Piquet for the rest of the season. I still remember a wonderful fight between Timo and Lewis at Istanbul. :up:

Oh and what luck are you talking about? :p : Last year guys were ramming him out (even on a warm-up lap!) and he had an awful amount of technical problems in GP2, which enabled di Grassi to stay in contention until the end. IMO Glock was clearly the best GP2 driver of 2007. Considering his showings in lower series I have constantly thought that he deserves another chance in F1. Now the key question is that how will he use his 'chance'.

Don't agree ;) . The man is dangerous to himself :mad: & everybody else who competes with. Besides, I think it was Kovy he was dueling with, but to be honest, I think Glock can (& should) be investigated for dangerous driving. If I was the race marshal I would consider disqualifying him there, & at Monaco I would have disqualified him with a final warning, especially after that spinning stunt to recover, & that other one at the chicane after the tunnel.

POS_Maggott
27th May 2008, 01:05
The last Nascar guy to test an F1 car was Gordon in Indy in 2003. After about 5 laps or so he was nearly up to pace. "Unofficial times for each driver had Montoya turning a fast lap of 1 minute, 39.9 seconds in the No. 24 DuPont Monte Carlo and Gordon turning a fast lap of 1 minute, 16.5 seconds in the HP Williams-BMW FW24. Montoya qualified fourth last year for the United States Grand Prix in the FW 24 at 1:11.414." (from allstate400atthebrickyard.com)

And what you leave out of that is that when Montoya shook down the FW24 that day, he only did a 1:15, as they wanted a conservative setup in the car.

He did a surprisingly good job too, running a 1:16.54 on his final tour around the completely green track, which compared favorably to the 1:15.20 set by Montoya earlier in the day during car setup sessions for the event.

http://www.motorsport.com/magazine/feature.asp?C=OverTheWall&D=2003-06-13

Not bad, to be only a second off the guy who drove that car for an entire year, right?