PDA

View Full Version : Caps, yet another unworkable rule

Knock-on
14th May 2008, 12:57
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67410

So, Honda will spent $10m developing a widget for "general" use and flog it to the F1 team for $50k

McLaren will develop a new suspension unit that doesn't fit in a road car and sell it to McLaren F1 for scrap and Ferrari will carry on as normal :laugh:

Tazio
14th May 2008, 13:09
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67410

So, Honda will spent $10m developing a widget for "general" use and flog it to the F1 team for $50k

McLaren will develop a new suspension unit that doesn't fit in a road car and sell it to McLaren F1 for scrap and Ferrari will carry on as normal :laugh:
:down: They never think these things all the way through!

Knock-on
14th May 2008, 13:19
:down: They never think these things all the way through!

Or, they never think these things part of the way through..

Or, they never think these things through at all..

Or, they just don't think.

Tazio
14th May 2008, 13:32
Or, they never think these things part of the way through..

Or, they never think these things through at all..

Or, they just don't think.Well put!
Cheers :beer:

jens
14th May 2008, 19:00
Solution? Team principal's salary is 100M $ and with that he organizes test drives. :D

V12
14th May 2008, 19:06
Stupid idea...Want to cut costs, well try ditching that silly new entry bond for starters. Teams will always spend what they have available to them, I think the key is to make it affordable to compete at entry level so that more tail end teams can join and pad out the grid, safeguarding against the departure of the free-spending major manufacturers in the future.

I'd also like to see an even distribution of prize and TV money, regardless of finishing position or "historical significance" :rolleyes:

Hawkmoon
15th May 2008, 00:06
A budget cap is a nightmare waiting to happen. What they need to do is find a way to make the amount of money that a team needs to spend, to be competitive, much smaller. That way it doesn't matter if Ferrari or McLaren or Toyota have money coming out of their backsides. They can spend it anyway they like and it won't make a lick of difference to their performance. Easier said than done I suppose.

There are a ways they can at least have a go at it:

- Testing restrictions. No inseason testing except for GP Fridays. Restricted testing in the offseason.

- Restrict the use of wind tunnels. Teams may only use 1 1/2 scale tunnel and they can only use it for 40 hours a week (this one is the FIA's idea and I like it. It may be impossible to enforce.)

- Restrict the number of team personnel allowed at the circuit. With parc ferme they don't need dozens of mechanics like they did in old days. What they need to do is ask the teams how many people they want and then halve that number. Should come out about right.

- Have a salary cap for drivers. Spread the talent around whilst keeping salaries in check.

-As much as I hate the idea of "long life" components I figure they've got a place in controlling costs so they probably have to stay.

The first thing they have to do is to spread the sports revenue evenly. Let the teams get as much sponsorship as they like. The revenue generated by the entity that is Formula 1, however, has to be split evenly as all the teams contribiuted to it's generation, not just the biggest or oldest teams.

gloomyDAY
15th May 2008, 03:22
More bureaucracy! Nice to know another useless committee is going to be developed in order to ensure everyone follows the budget caps. I'm sure someone is going to cheat and "it" will really hit the fan.

Placid
15th May 2008, 04:34
That will make things worse for another potential team willing to enter the grid. Next they will say, $150M, then $175M. That will be a huge problem for
teams making their new chassis.

And just wondering, what are the actual budgets for all the other categories?

Valve Bounce
15th May 2008, 05:49
The way I look at it, if footy teams can find ways to exceed the salary cap, how on earth can anyone control expenditure in something as complex as the manufacture, testing and running of an F1 team? There are a zillion parts made in different parts of the world; who is going to check on the costs and how? And currency variations on a daily basis just creates a ginormous headache.

This is always a great idea if the teams, Like Flav, can be encouraged to spend less than the salary cap; but controlling expenditure over dozens of component manufacturers just makes a nonsense of this. In the end, only audit accountants will benefit from this ridigilis rule. Not to mention lawyers when there is a dispute.

Ranger
15th May 2008, 06:57
A budget cap is a nightmare waiting to happen. What they need to do is find a way to make the amount of money that a team needs to spend, to be competitive, much smaller. That way it doesn't matter if Ferrari or McLaren or Toyota have money coming out of their backsides. They can spend it anyway they like and it won't make a lick of difference to their performance. Easier said than done I suppose.

There are a ways they can at least have a go at it:

- Testing restrictions. No inseason testing except for GP Fridays. Restricted testing in the offseason.

- Restrict the use of wind tunnels. Teams may only use 1 1/2 scale tunnel and they can only use it for 40 hours a week (this one is the FIA's idea and I like it. It may be impossible to enforce.)

- Restrict the number of team personnel allowed at the circuit. With parc ferme they don't need dozens of mechanics like they did in old days. What they need to do is ask the teams how many people they want and then halve that number. Should come out about right.

- Have a salary cap for drivers. Spread the talent around whilst keeping salaries in check.

-As much as I hate the idea of "long life" components I figure they've got a place in controlling costs so they probably have to stay.
I pretty much agree with all of that.

The first thing they have to do is to spread the sports revenue evenly. Let the teams get as much sponsorship as they like. The revenue generated by the entity that is Formula 1, however, has to be split evenly as all the teams contribiuted to it's generation, not just the biggest or oldest teams.

I think a two-tier system would work best for this part.

For the allocated TV revenue the teams receive:

A certain (preferably sizable) percentage is divided evenly among the teams. The rest of the money teams receive will be as is, based on the amount of points scored in the WCC. This would still give a performance-based incentive and probably diminish the political problems of having everything distributed evenly. Perhaps Bernie could give himself a paycut to help pay that massive CVC loan back as well as give back to the F1 teams... perhaps not.

Although in general, a budget cap is unenforcable and stupid on its own for the simple analogy knockie described.

Garry Walker
15th May 2008, 12:00
Good one FIA, Good one.

:rotflmao:

I sure am looking forward seeing how you will enforce this one and audit all the subsidiaries of companies like Honda or BMW.

tinchote
17th May 2008, 03:55
Let me see:

- qualifying with race-fuel
- rev-limited engines that have to last for two races
- gearboxes that have to last for four races
- spending cap

If I ever need to destroy a racing series, I have already being taught how :down:

Garry Walker
19th May 2008, 20:30
Let me see:

- qualifying with race-fuel
- rev-limited engines that have to last for two races
- gearboxes that have to last for four races
- spending cap

If I ever need to destroy a racing series, I have already being taught how :down:
You could also lot a learn from how rallying has been destroyed into a series of comedy