PDA

View Full Version : no wonder folks see this team as 'grid filler'...

veeten
14th May 2008, 12:49
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67397

reasons as to why fans like Super Aguri & Toro Rosso over these guys. :dozey:

Azumanga Davo
14th May 2008, 14:39
But he has rarely worn the same team shirt two years in a row. Colin's had four different sets of bosses to deal with. Bet if anyone on that chain hadn't shown up to offer their suitcases of money, he would be back in a dental practice faster than you can say "decay is after dejay." ;)

CNR
14th May 2008, 14:54
from Midland to Spyker and Spyker to Force India to who knows next year.

good to see spyker has bounced back.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126257

jens
14th May 2008, 19:12
I feel really sorry to Force India. Those guys are working really hard and doing a fantastic job considering their finances, but due to the tight competition in F1 they are really struggling to be competitive. In the last two circuits Fisichella's loss in qualifying has been less than 2 seconds to the best time. Just ten years ago a team with such loss would have been a respectable midfield team, but in the current state of F1 they are clearly the last ones. The last season, when any of this team's predecessor had such little loss per lap, was Jordan in 2002.

BDunnell
14th May 2008, 19:44
And that stigma of being the tail-enders in spite of their efforts is a hard one to get rid of, even with massive injections of cash.

aryan
15th May 2008, 09:36
I really respect this team. Despite their financial situation, and changind hand every year in the past couple of years, they remain competitve when you look at their times. Sure they are still the backmarkers, but as Jens pointed out, a decade ago they would have been midfield players considering their time differnce to the lead.

They are a respectable team, and I hope they can turn it around and become a real midfield player soon.

Valve Bounce
15th May 2008, 09:51
These guys are the ones who fought against customer cars - they are going to get a very rude awakening when Torro Rosso is no more, and they are left to guard the back of the grid race after race.

What do you tell your invited sponsors? You could try to put the blame on Harbhajan but the guy is a spinner, not a speedster. :rolleyes:

ioan
15th May 2008, 10:45
These guys are the ones who fought against customer cars - they are going to get a very rude awakening when Torro Rosso is no more, and they are left to guard the back of the grid race after race.

What do you tell your invited sponsors? You could try to put the blame on Harbhajan but the guy is a spinner, not a speedster. :rolleyes:

They allready got the end of the grid for themselves. And given that Torro Rosso finally got their up to date cars some more teams (Honda for sure and maybe Williams) might fall behind them now.

Valve Bounce
15th May 2008, 12:34
They allready got the end of the grid for themselves. And given that Torro Rosso finally got their up to date cars some more teams (Honda for sure and maybe Williams) might fall behind them now.

I'm talking about next year, no customer cars, no Torro Rosso, and I cannot see much improvement with Force India with their limited resources compared with every other team then.

aryan
15th May 2008, 14:48
I cannot see much improvement with Force India with their limited resources compared with every other team then.

Force India has some really talented people on the team, and if they can have a stable business environment, they can turn things around.

Money and resources are important, but they are not everything.

Valve Bounce
15th May 2008, 23:19
Force India has some really talented people on the team, and if they can have a stable business environment, they can turn things around.

Money and resources are important, but they are not everything.

No, seriously!! do they have a good wind tunnel and analysts??

ChrisS
16th May 2008, 00:14

They have a 50% wind tunnel, running 24 hours a day

gloomyDAY
16th May 2008, 00:26
Privateers are essential to motorsports. F1 is not an exception!

They have a 50% wind tunnel, running 24 hours a dayWhat do you mean?

gloomyDAY
16th May 2008, 00:48
Then we have people like Fry (http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=42655) who want to cut out privateers out of the mix. :mad:

Valve Bounce
16th May 2008, 01:06
They have a 50% wind tunnel, running 24 hours a day

Heck!! :eek: they must eat a lot of lentils and baked beans.

Valve Bounce
16th May 2008, 01:08
Then we have people like Fry (http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=42655) who want to cut out privateers out of the mix. :mad:

Wait until he consistently comes near teh tail end of the grid and Honda sacks him.

ChrisS
16th May 2008, 01:10
What do you mean?

big enough to run 50% scale cars

aryan
16th May 2008, 05:37

Jordan didn't originally have its own windtunnel. They hired the windtunnel in the University of Southampton and only had one aerodynamicist. In November 1996 Jordan bought the Ex-March tunnel in Brackley. In fact Adrian Newey used the same Southampton wind tunnel and designed the famous March-Judd 881 in that tunnel.

Unfortunately the tunnel had too much insulation so it got way too hot in the tunnel. The tunnel was 30% scale back then, and when Jordan bought the tunnel they upgraded it to 40%, and fixed the insulation problems.

And in this tunnel Jordan designed the 198 to the EJ14. I don't know about the EJ15 because Midland didn't buy the tunnel when they bought Jordan F1. They did that later, and updated it to 50% scale, but it was only running part of the time.

When Mallay bought the team last year, he poured enough resources to hire people and now the tunnel is operational 24/7. Finally, this team has a 24/7 50% windtunnel and I expect the outcome of this tunnel to show in the 2009 car, which they are designing right now as we speak.

They also hired two top guns in December. Mark Smith from Red Bull and previously Renault is now their design chief. Ian Hall has also joined them from Toyota and is the 2009 car project leader. Under Gascoyne, I think they have the necessary know-how to build a successful car.

When you look at the money Mallay has poured into this underinvested team, you can see that he's looking long term. That's why I have belief in this team and hope they can survive.

Valve Bounce
16th May 2008, 11:39
If they do, it will certainly be a triumph over many, many obstacles to date. Maybe this was one reason they hired Fisi who was driving for a top team last year.