PDA

View Full Version : Rain

NickFalzone
13th May 2008, 20:31
Does it ever stop raining in Indianapolis? I checked the weather for the next week and it's rain, rain, rain. May be a bright spot for practice on Fri but qualifying looks like it's going to be rained out. Wouldn't care as much in a normal year since it's the same for everyone, but I feel like the level of competition is being hurt by this. I was hoping for the new teams to really catch up in speed, and that's just not going to happen with lack of practice days. IMS/Barnhart need to do better to schedule new practice days when weather causes excessive rainouts. I know it's $$ to do this, but they could have been open today or yesterday to clear skies. Meanwhile Rahal, etc are off playing golf.

Champcar4life
14th May 2008, 04:30
Does it ever stop raining in Indianapolis? I checked the weather for the next week and it's rain, rain, rain. May be a bright spot for practice on Fri but qualifying looks like it's going to be rained out. Wouldn't care as much in a normal year since it's the same for everyone, but I feel like the level of competition is being hurt by this. I was hoping for the new teams to really catch up in speed, and that's just not going to happen with lack of practice days. IMS/Barnhart need to do better to schedule new practice days when weather causes excessive rainouts. I know it's $$ to do this, but they could have been open today or yesterday to clear skies. Meanwhile Rahal, etc are off playing golf.

In Indianapolis is either raining, or snowing, just depends on the time of day.

pitwall3
14th May 2008, 17:21
Question for the month of May.

How many cars do they run if it rains every day up until race day with only 11 qualified as of today?????

ezhop7
15th May 2008, 03:45
I just checked out the weather channel and it shows Fri thru Sunday clear with no rain in the forecast!

Jonesi
15th May 2008, 20:05
Weather.com which seems to have a good track record shows 30-40% chance of rain Saturday through Monday:
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/46222?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

Jonesi
15th May 2008, 20:50
Question for the month of May.

How many cars do they run if it rains every day up until race day with only 11 qualified as of today?????

There's a +99% probability they will start 33 cars for the race. The only question is how they get there. It's been years since I've seen what rules they publish, but what I think will happen is: If it rains over the weekend and the grid is not filled, then Monday is the rain day and they will try to do it then. (If Monday also is rained out, I don't recall if Tuesday is possible as a make up day.)
At some point they can/will declare "Force Majeure" a French legal term, which comes to us via FIA/ACCUS/IRL. It allows them to write new rules which fit the situation and get the race run. If you go to the live T&S page I think the priority list is already programmed. Below the qualified cars is in order bumped, failed, withdrawn, waved off, & no attempt (started but didn't take green flag). They will fill the grid behind the 1st 11, with bumped drivers (not already in), then failed drivers... etc. Any remaining spots would be filled based on practice speed and advise of the driver observers (Mears, Unser, etc)

MarcoCheever
15th May 2008, 21:08
get Donald Davidson STAT !