PDA

View Full Version : Rooting for Panoz!

bzcam
13th May 2008, 19:26
I see that two Panoz G-Force chassis are entered at Indy but both have TBD in the driver category. Personally, I would like to see both of these cars in the race for a couple of reasons. 1.) I like diversity and it would be nice if there was some in the IRL. 2.) The G-Force is a better looking car than the Dallara. 3.) There is no #3.

So, who is driving these tubs and what are their chances to qualify? Inquiring OW minds want to know. And, BTW, how can we be two weeks into qualifying at Indy and still have TBD drivers? How does that work?

bzcam

BobGarage
13th May 2008, 19:32
Phil Giebler is in one of the Panoz. The other is still TBD.

V12
13th May 2008, 19:39
I'd love it if Panoz, now that they are twiddling their thumbs DP01-wise with the demise of Champ Car, would put some resources into developing their IRL chassis over the next season and a half in preparation for the new formula. I worry that if the field is still all-Dallara come the end of 2009, it may make it easier for the IRL to mandate a spec formula for 2010 rather than having open competition :(

Wilf
13th May 2008, 19:58
I see that two Panoz G-Force chassis are entered at Indy but both have TBD in the driver category. Personally, I would like to see both of these cars in the race for a couple of reasons. 1.) I like diversity and it would be nice if there was some in the IRL. 2.) The G-Force is a better looking car than the Dallara. 3.) There is no #3.

So, who is driving these tubs and what are their chances to qualify? Inquiring OW minds want to know. And, BTW, how can we be two weeks into qualifying at Indy and still have TBD drivers? How does that work?

bzcam
Indy is pretty unique. The car is the entrant, not the team or the driver. It goes back to the old system of three attempts. The car can not attempt to qualify again but the driver can move to another car to qualify. It's not a big deal in today's climate but the fact remains, it is the car that is entered.

The panoz was a good chassis for Indy but I don't think they have put out any kits for a couple of years and they are not being run by top teams so their chance of winning is pretty slim.

nigelred5
13th May 2008, 20:04
Panoz does have quite a bit of other work than the DP01. Don't forget they own VanDiemen and produce Formula forda as well as produce the star Mazda cars, the sports car offerings, etc....

BobGarage
13th May 2008, 20:17
Panoz does have quite a bit of other work than the DP01. Don't forget they own VanDiemen and produce Formula forda as well as produce the star Mazda cars, the sports car offerings, etc....

and are currently trying produce a full field of DP09's ready for the start of the SuperLeague Formula season.

xtlm
13th May 2008, 23:30
also F1....gp2....