PDA

View Full Version : Drive of the day, Turkey - Kovalainen?

AndySpeed
11th May 2008, 14:21
Seeing Heikki Kovalainen pass cars left right and centre this afternoon makes him my nomination for driver of the day. He's been on the pace all race and if it wasn't for an incident with Raikkonen I believe that he could have been on the podium.

That knock at the start of the race messed up his strategy such that he needed a late pit stop.

Top racing from Heikki. :up: (Congratulations to Massa also)

wedge
11th May 2008, 14:41
Heikki was most entertaining drive of the day.

Got to give it to Massa. A good attempt at squeezing Lewis on the back straight.

I think Lewis had a better chance of winning had he managed to overtake Massa during the first stint because LH showed stunning pace in the second stint - around 8s lead so if LH accumulated that over the race and 3 stops - a win was possible for Lewis.

BDunnell
11th May 2008, 14:52
Great scrapping from Kovalainen — and, to be fair, those he was scrapping with.

woody2goody
11th May 2008, 14:56
I think Lewis is probably Driver of the Day, but I can't help thinking a certain M Schumacher would have turned that into a win.

I have a few outside nominations:

Massa: great win under a fair amount of pressure

Heidfeld: good fifth place without great pace

Rosberg: good job getting into the points

Kovalainen: handicapped by being hit by Kimi at the start

Webber also did a good job. I thought it wasn't so great at first because I thought DC was one-stopping and on course to beat him. However once DC stopped again it turned out to be a lovely race from the Australian.

Also a decent performance from Alonso, although he was largely anonymous. Was strong in the first stint but faded quite a lot after that. Despite the different strategy, I'm still surprised that he let Kimi through as it wasn't a done deal that Raikkonen was going to get past.

Sleeper
11th May 2008, 14:57
Very entertaining race form Heikki. I'm 50/50 for my driver of the day between Massa and Hamilton, great driving from both of them.

F1boat
11th May 2008, 15:00
To me Massa is the Driver of the Day, because he won after being put on intense pressure by LH and because he drove better than his teammate in this race. Heikki was good but in the end finished 11th :(

Viktory
11th May 2008, 15:01
my vote goes to Lewis Hamilton.
Heikki Kovalainen did a good job.
Massa was strong.

ArrowsFA1
11th May 2008, 16:31
Heikki drove a great race :up: as did Massa :up: and Hamilton :up:

All in all, a very enjoyable race :cool:

aryan
11th May 2008, 16:44
I would have voted for Hamilton had he passed Massa much earlier and ran away with the race.

As it is, it was Massa's race so the honour goes to him.

I'm also impressed by Webber in the last 3 races he has had one 5th and two 7ths. Surely, that's the best the red bull can dream of at this point.

Nick, while not as fast as Kubica, seems to be a better racer than him. Everytime he starts far behing his teammate, he somehow manages to finish close enough to him.

Nikki Katz
11th May 2008, 16:51
I'd say that the collision between Kovalainen and Raikkonen was just a racing incident. Kovalainen got a bad start and then had to cut across Raikkonen's nose at the first corner, hence the contact. He was certainly the most entertaining driver this afternoon, but ultimately he was out of position at least in part due to his own driving.
Got to be between Massa and Hamilton for driver of the day really.

woody2goody
11th May 2008, 16:52
I would have voted for Hamilton had he passed Massa much earlier and ran away with the race.

As it is, it was Massa's race so the honour goes to him.

I'm also impressed by Webber in the last 3 races he has had one 5th and two 7ths. Surely, that's the best the red bull can dream of at this point.

Nick, while not as fast as Kubica, seems to be a better racer than him. Everytime he starts far behing his teammate, he somehow manages to finish close enough to him.

I agree fully :up:

Garry Walker
11th May 2008, 17:18
Hamilton.

yodasarmpit
11th May 2008, 17:18
I'd say it was between Massa and Hamilton, with Massa just pipping it.

Tazio
11th May 2008, 22:02
Although I think Hamilton drove a flawless race. I can't give it to him out right! When you are constantly running low fuel (3 stopper) you look faster than anyone else! I don't know for sure but I have a suspicion that kimi would have slotted in in front of Hamilton if his wing wasn't damaged. If (a big if) Kimi did, a Ferrari 1,2 would have deminished LH's strategy and race! The following drivers all deserve recognition for having superior races!

Hamilton
Massa
Kovlovian
Rosberg
Fred

jso1985
11th May 2008, 22:18
My vote goes to Hamilton and his team. great drive and strategy and a 2nd place ahead of a car faster than his.

woody2goody
11th May 2008, 22:29
Although I think Hamilton drove a flawless race. I can't give it to him out right! When you are constantly running low fuel (3 stopper) you look faster than anyone else! I don't know for sure but I have a suspicion that kimi would have slotted in in front of Hamilton if his wing wasn't damaged. If (a big if) Kimi did, a Ferrari 1,2 would have deminished LH's strategy and race! The following drivers all deserve recognition for having superior races!

Hamilton
Massa
Kovlovian
Rosberg
Fred

I agree Alonso did well, but I expected him to be closer after a very fast first stint. He shouldn't have let Kimi go. Kimi wasn't exactly all over the back of him for the first few laps. Alonso wouldn't have beaten Kimi, but you'd think a 2 times World Champion wouldn't just give his position away to a man who was once his main nemesis.

Tazio
11th May 2008, 22:34
a 2nd place ahead of a car faster than his.That was damaged
If you watched the same race as me the only one that looked like they had a faster car was FM JMHO

Tazio
11th May 2008, 22:43
but you'd think a 2 times World Champion wouldn't just give his position away to a man who was once his main nemesis.I doubt that that was Freds thought process in the moment. Fred knows he's not going to beat Ferrari!
Whether you like him or not he has shown a cool head this season! I think he is overjoyed to be in the top 6 I think his goal was seven. And without jr bringing in any points, it appears to be up to Fred to earn the team WC Money! A solid race for Fred! P6 in that renault deserves credit JMHO

Valve Bounce
11th May 2008, 23:20
Massa - he drove fast and faultlessly. He beat Kimi, and kept Lewis Hamilton out.

Stirling effort.

mstillhere
12th May 2008, 00:58
Seeing Heikki Kovalainen pass cars left right and centre this afternoon makes him my nomination for driver of the day. He's been on the pace all race and if it wasn't for an incident with Raikkonen I believe that he could have been on the podium.

That knock at the start of the race messed up his strategy such that he needed a late pit stop.

Top racing from Heikki. :up: (Congratulations to Massa also)

I agree. Kova really worked hard. Massa too but I did not see him defending his position really hard. Actually I think he let him pass deliberatly knowing that he would pass him again anyway and there was not point in taking any chances. However......

woody2goody
12th May 2008, 01:33
I agree. Kova really worked hard. Massa too but I did not see him defending his position really hard. Actually I think he let him pass deliberatly knowing that he would pass him again anyway and there was not point in taking any chances. However......

I don't buy that. Now Fernando let Kimi through, but if Massa was letting Lewis through, he would have taken a better line into 12 and not lost time.

In fact Massa didn't know what Lewis was doin until over 30 laps had been raced. He said he 'was praying' that Lewis had to stop again.

aryan
12th May 2008, 02:00
Massa was the one who kep it cool. By that time he knew Lewis was on a 3 stopper, and didn't want to risk an unnecesary crash. He did close the line, but left just enough space for Lewis and didn't act overly protective.

Alonso on the other hand, jsut move over! That's different, and I wasn't expecting that from a 2xWDC.

truefan72
12th May 2008, 02:09
1. Massa - faultless execution
2. LH- brilliant driving especially the 2nd stint
3. HK - tenacity award and most entertaining of the day
4. Alonso - kept his car in the points and further aided Renaults efforts

Turkey of the Race "no pun intended"
Fisichella

pino
12th May 2008, 05:49
Poll added and my vote goes to Massa :D

aryan
12th May 2008, 08:03
Poll added and my vote goes to Massa :D

And you didn't think heikki was worthy of a nomination spot at least?

Tazio
12th May 2008, 08:38
Massa was the one who kep it cool. By that time he knew Lewis was on a 3 stopper, and didn't want to risk an unnecesary crash. He did close the line, but left just enough space for Lewis and didn't act overly protective.

Alonso on the other hand, jsut move over! That's different, and I wasn't expecting that from a 2xWDC.For the last time Fred knows who he is racing!

http://f1.automoto365.com/news/contr...&news_id=31140
Webber was disappointed not to have been able to take the fight to Renault and Fernando Alonso, the former two-times world champion beating the Australian off the line before pulling away comfortably as the race developed

I couldn’t stay with Fernando– I was expecting to do better and I’m disappointed really. Renault sh*t all over us. Of course, it’s good to get points but it’s disappointing we couldn’t take the fight to Fernando a little bit more but we weren’t quite quick enough.

Fred is the most calculating driver in show bussiness! He chose not to ruin his tyres, stint, and race by trying to fight a guy who he knows is going to finish ahead of him!

pino
12th May 2008, 09:03
And you didn't think heikki was worthy of a nomination spot at least?

Sorry I wasn't totaly awake...added now :)

Tazio
12th May 2008, 09:18
My vote goes to Hamilton and his team. great drive and strategy
That team strategy was actually imployed at the advice of Bridgestone as they were the ones that informed McLaren That they believed a 2 stopper would have not worked for Hamilton and his driving style!

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=561007

Lewis Hamilton's style of driving triggered the concern about his tyres that cost him a possible Turkish Grand Prix win on Sunday, tyre maker Bridgestone said

A Bridgestone spokeswoman said the concerns were raised before Saturday's qualifying

Bridgestone advised McLaren on how long they felt the tyre was safe for the Briton to drive on and the team then decided he should make an extra stop as a precaution.

So it apears that Bridgestone are responsible for McLaren, and Hamiltons Brilliant strategy!IMHO Hamilton had no chance of beating Massa! and owe agreat deal of gatitude to Bridestone for his success!

Brilliant!!!

ArrowsFA1
12th May 2008, 10:01
So it apears that Bridgestone are responsible for McLaren, and Hamiltons Brilliant strategy!IMHO Hamilton had no chance of beating Massa! and owe agreat deal of gatitude to Bridestone for his success!
Why is there such a need to denigrate Hamilton?

His was a superb performance yesterday. Producing results like that is all about getting things right, and that is never about one thing, it's about a combination of factors. So Hamilton is harder on a front tyre than other drivers, so what? He, the team, and Bridgestone dealt with that and came up with a strategy that, while not ideal, was maximised by Hamilton.

Knock-on
12th May 2008, 10:09
Lewis obviously drives the car as hard as possible which compromised his race slightly by having to 3 stop.

Good race from Massa as well and HK was obviously entertaining.

Have to give it to Hamilton for dragging the car into 2nd and a good agressive race.

F1boat
12th May 2008, 11:11

His was a superb performance yesterday. Producing results like that is all about getting things right, and that is never about one thing, it's about a combination of factors. So Hamilton is harder on a front tyre than other drivers, so what? He, the team, and Bridgestone dealt with that and came up with a strategy that, while not ideal, was maximised by Hamilton.

Lewis drove very well, but I have noticed that he is extremely hard on tyres. Kudos to him, however, that he did a race which resembled great Michael Schumacher...

Hawkmoon
12th May 2008, 12:22
I'll give it to Kovalainen for putting on a show and helping to make this most enjoyable race of the year thus far.

555-04Q2
12th May 2008, 12:26
Massa :up:

Tazio
12th May 2008, 12:33

I acknowledged on anther thread that he drove a flawless race. I'm acknowledging here that it is because of his style Bridgestone stepped in and suggested very strongly what to do! (3 stopper) My link confirms that ‘stone stepped in and suggested very strongly what to do! (3 stopper) Hamilton drove brilliantly

Robinho
12th May 2008, 12:41
tough one as many drove very well.

Massa obviously a candidate, came out top, was quick all race and was up for the fight when tracked by Lewis.

Lewis drove incredibly hard every lap of the race, pretty much faultless, except that it is his hard driving that neccesitated the strategy, he did take the positives out of it and wrung the car out, including a great pass on track for the lead (how often does that happen?)

Kimi had a quiet one, but fastest lap with a damaged wing after a poor qualifiying was pretty good.

BMW's disappointed after their recent competitveness.

Webber had another great drive, glad to see him in a decent car that holds together - he's starting to look like the driver that a lot of fans have claimed he is for some time.

Kovy had some great battles and some great passes and neer gave up all race, really gutsy performace, and when in clear air was on the pace of the leasders.

but seeing as so many drove well, and Massa came out on top it'd be foolish not to give him the award IMO

Azumanga Davo
12th May 2008, 16:48
Kubica for me. It was an extremely quiet one for him, but again showing promise by having yet another strong finish. :)

weeflyonthewall
12th May 2008, 17:19
Massa - A brilliant 2 stopper
Hamilton - A brilliant 3 stopper
Heikki - A superb performance coming back from 18th.
Kubica - Solid.
DC - didn't hit anyone this week. :p

N. Jones
12th May 2008, 19:14
I think Hammy for DOTD. Drove a great race on a three-stop strat.

jens
12th May 2008, 20:35
My vote went to Alonso - strangely I'm the only one, who has voted to him so far.

Excellent performances by Massa and Hamilton too. Kovalainen did very well after his early stop and created some entertainment, but... that Turn1 incident, which caused a puncture, was probably at least partly his fault too and this reduces the mark (therefore he didn't show an excellent performance).

Rosberg was impressive too. Used his grid position and cleaner side perfectly to get a good start and snatch a point in a Williams, which is struggling a bit on aero circuits.

Tazio
13th May 2008, 01:45
My vote went to Alonso - strangely I'm the only one, who has voted to him so far.

It's a stretch but I think in a round about way Mark Webber endorsed Fred’s
performance in his words I consider this a vote if you translate it loosely

"Renault sh*t all over us"

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=561007
Considering the race that Jr had, I doubt the reference was to NP also
MW. Never one to mince words! :rotflmao:

stevie_gerrard
16th May 2008, 01:38
Gave my vote to Massa for his sheer consistency round this place, it's quite incredible how well he does around this track.

But for sheer consistency this season, Mark Webber deserves a shout for the wonderful job he is doing at red bull at the moment.