PDA

View Full Version : Official Young Guns (updated)

Pages : [1] 2

A.F.F.
11th May 2008, 11:43
I'd like to bring this thread up again.

Please name all the promising talents you think might shine in the future, no matter what the class is they're driving in. And if you more than just a name, please share it all :)

The forum is yours guys and gals.

kakus
11th May 2008, 12:25
Sebastien Ogier for sure. If Citroen support him for the futur.

Josti
11th May 2008, 12:53
Pretty unlikely till some 10 years ago, but there's been quite a shift in the support of Dutch rallydrivers on higher levels. There's the KNAF Talent First team in JWRC, but my hopes are up for Peter van Merksteijn Jr. (son of Sr. of course, known for his WRC outings in the Focus). This year, he drives several rounds of the Dutch championship in a Focus and WRC rallies in a Lancer, with Duval's very experienced codriver Eddy Chevaillier. He only started rallying last year I think, but he has shown great pace for a rookie.

We might see him in action in form of an M2 team next year.

GigiGalliNo1
11th May 2008, 13:47
Gigi Galli :p

Tomi
11th May 2008, 15:00
the same ones as last time.

Viking
11th May 2008, 16:24
The same ones as last time here also, Mikkelsen and Østberg.

Behind them? not sure, Bieltvedt maybe http://www.toolsrallyteam.no/ but he has to go the long way.

pettersolberg29
11th May 2008, 17:16
I'm gonna get slaughtered for this, but..............

Conrad Rautenbach?

urabus-denoS2000
11th May 2008, 17:34
Jaroslav Orsak

gloomyDAY
11th May 2008, 18:13
I'm gonna get slaughtered for this, but..............

Conrad Rautenbach?
Ummmm...... (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=471772&postcount=57)

Andreas is my choice. The kid has talent!

pettersolberg29
11th May 2008, 18:23
^ Maybe I have to agree-Mikkelsen will definately be a world champion one day.

pettersolberg29
11th May 2008, 18:24
And that's a good picture to sum up my comment...

A.F.F.
11th May 2008, 20:15
I personally want to hear news from Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain and eastern europe.

Fly
11th May 2008, 20:47
I personally want to hear news from Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain and eastern europe.

Fiesta trophy newcomer, winner of the Ford Contest, Thierry Neuville, 18, is quite promising but it's way too early to make any prediction.
Cedric Cherain and Alexandre Romain showed some speed for 2 or 3 years now but probably not enough for the top level.

bluuford
11th May 2008, 22:05
Well, Personally I just got astonished by one young Estonian. He just won group N in Tallinn rally.. and it was his second event in 4wd car and 1 event with new S14 :-) And he was faster than the current Estonian champion, faster than four times Estonian champion and faster than Toni Klemets and Aki Teiskonen and just missed out the overall win for Jukka Hiltunen (12.4 seconds). Hiltunen is driving Focus WRC03 by the way.
His name is Ott Tänak.
He has also done good job with 2wd until this year.

DonJippo
12th May 2008, 00:28
If it is up to backers then Jussi Tiippana has to be noted here. He is supported by KKK and Juha Repo so good advices should be available...

http://www.tiippana.com (http://www.tiippana.com/)

ST205GT4
12th May 2008, 04:07
I think Don Jippo is on the right track.

No backer no ride.

We won't see anyone out of Australia again in a hurry.

I read an interesting article the other day in some motorsport magazine, where the author questioned just how good the "best of the best" in motorsport really are because they come from such a small pool of people.

His example was to compare football with motorsport. If you make it to the top level in football you must be good because the pool of players that you msut compete against to get to that level is huge due to the low cost of competition. Compare that with motorsport where for you to shine you MUST have decent equipment and already you've pared away a large portion of the population through cost alone. As you go higher the cost of competition becomes higher and higher resulting in even more finanical selection. So you end up with the best of a much smaller sample of the population.

Who knows perhaps there are thousands of Loebs out there!

A.F.F.
12th May 2008, 06:32
Who knows perhaps there are thousands of Loebs out there!

Sometimes it feels there are thousand of Loebs in this forum alone :D

Roy
12th May 2008, 10:00
Pretty unlikely till some 10 years ago, but there's been quite a shift in the support of Dutch rallydrivers on higher levels. There's the KNAF Talent First team in JWRC, but my hopes are up for Peter van Merksteijn Jr. (son of Sr. of course, known for his WRC outings in the Focus). This year, he drives several rounds of the Dutch championship in a Focus and WRC rallies in a Lancer, with Duval's very experienced codriver Eddy Chevaillier. He only started rallying last year I think, but he has shown great pace for a rookie.

We might see him in action in form of an M2 team next year.

Peter Jr in M2 next year? I heard the same last year. Do you have info, source, or do you gamble? I doubt that would happen. But he has a lot of money, that will help.

ShiftingGears
12th May 2008, 10:08
Sometimes it feels there are thousand of Loebs in this forum alone :D

Come on, we aren't that scruffy...

Josti
12th May 2008, 13:33
Peter Jr in M2 next year? I heard the same last year. Do you have info, source, or do you gamble? I doubt that would happen. But he has a lot of money, that will help.

Well, I don't gamble. The team (van Merksteijn Motorsport) has high ambitions for Junior, let alone Jr. himself. This year he will drive several WRC rallies with the Evo along with Chevaillier, which isn't just a regular choise of codriver. Plus he's learning the Focus in national rallies. If it all goes well, I wouldn't be surprised to see them performing as an M2 team next year, but then again, nothing is certain at this moment. Money ain't the problem for sure.

Wim_Impreza
12th May 2008, 14:17

In Belgium, we have 18 years Thierry Neuville who was very fast in East Belgian Rally and Rallye de Wallonie in the Ford Fiesta Sporting Trophy. Woman Melissa Debackere is still young, very fast and is driving a Toyota Corolla WRC. She was leading the 'Rallye de Wallonie', until she had a mechanical problem and retired.

In Germany, I predict Hermann Gassner junior.

From Italy, it is difficult to say as there are so much nice championships.

teufel
13th May 2008, 09:04
Jaroslav Orsak

He had very good pace in Eger Rally where he competed at first time against the much more experienced hungarians, so if his financial background is okay, the he might have a bright future! :up:

urabus-denoS2000
13th May 2008, 20:51
Forgot to add Jozef Bereš.

teufel:He also had very good pace in Saturnus,he was the second best Czech driver before he retired.The only men that were faster than him was Pech,two of the best Slovenians Kaučič and Peljhan,and Gassner.

Tomi
13th May 2008, 21:14
Forgot to add Jozef Bereš.

teufel:He also had very good pace in Saturnus,

Maybe it's because the gravity in Saturnus is something 0,9 times than what it is here on earth, that propably explaines the good speed ;)

Addicted
15th May 2008, 16:48
Esapekka Lappi. Not 18 yet and so haven`t done any rallies yet but in rallisprint`s he`s been dominating his class.

Earlier drove karting and won national title last year.

Fly
23rd June 2008, 10:46
It seems that 2006 Ford rally contest winner Viktor Henricksson is showing some speed up there in Sweden.

http://www.resultatdata.com/rally/resultat/totalresultat.jsp?tavling=268

Other question to Swedish members: who's Andreas Magnusson? He was setting very fast times before retiring. Young gun or old chap that never got a chance?

MTA
23rd June 2008, 21:31
It seems that 2006 Ford rally contest winner Viktor Henricksson is showing some speed up there in Sweden.

http://www.resultatdata.com/rally/resultat/totalresultat.jsp?tavling=268

Other question to Swedish members: who's Andreas Magnusson? He was setting very fast times before retiring. Young gun or old chap that never got a chance?

Andreas Magnusson is only 24 years old so he is one of the young guns in Grupp N.

kleisj
24th June 2008, 09:36
Bernardo Sousa! Aggressive flat out driving with some pretty competitive times. He is 20-21 and I think if he is able to control himself is going to have a bright future!

A.F.F.
24th June 2008, 12:11
I've been positively surprised of Matti Rantanen http://www.mattirantanen.net/

He is someone to follow in the NORF.

Roy
24th June 2008, 21:04
I've been positively surprised of Matti Rantanen http://www.mattirantanen.net/

He is someone to follow in the NORF.

Not bad ;) results I see. I'm impressed.
Nice to see in Sweden (post Fly) there is young fresh blood also. Nice!

Here in Holland we have Peter Merkstein jr. Don't mix up wit his dad sr. I think we see him already this year in a Focus WRC on selected WRC events.

nuno alves
24th June 2008, 22:01
I Think Bernardo Sousa

http://www.redbullrally.com/

A.F.F.
23rd October 2008, 21:25
Sebastien Ogier for sure. If Citroen support him for the futur.

This post turns out to be very topical, especially at the time Rally Wales starts.

What is a great performance for him? Speedwise or resultwise ? I'd say as a first outing with WRC, top six would be suberb, to the points very good.

N.O.T
23rd October 2008, 21:31
The competition this year in JWRC was sub par.....so although ogiers performance was very nice for his first year in the big stage he still needs to prove himself first on the Citroens telemetry data and then on the stages to get a seat.

Fly
11th December 2008, 11:54
Belgium's Mathias Boon won the Pirelli International Shootout.
He's 19 and showed some good speed this season.
With Thierry Neuville and a couple of other drivers, there is hope in Belgium.

Roy
11th December 2008, 12:19

You mean Fiesta shootout?

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3520&desc=Matthias%20Boon%20wins%20Fiesta%20shootout

Viking
11th December 2008, 12:21

Ford Fiesta SportingTrophy Shootout ;)

http://www.m-sport.co.uk/news/544

Juha
11th December 2008, 12:37
I rate him higher than Neuville. Boon was setting fastest times during his first year in rallying. Neuville was fast as well, but often too optimistic and spent too much time in the scenery.

Viking
11th December 2008, 12:49
And rumour has it that he is even better than Loeb...On a Mountainbike :)

Tomi
11th December 2008, 12:58
con graz to the guy, and its nice they have this kind of competitions, and now when the head is checked also, so nothing else but good luck on the choosed carreer.

farquar wrc
11th December 2008, 19:32
In Scotland,we have 21 year old David Bogie,Evo challenge winner and very quick in a WRC Corolla,18 year old Dave Weston jnr and 21 year old Ewan Thorburn front runners in N12,s in the Scottish and National Gravel Championships

DonJippo
11th December 2008, 20:09
Jaro Kinnunen is one to keep in mind for the future.

Fly
11th December 2008, 20:49
You mean Fiesta shootout?

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3520&desc=Matthias%20Boon%20wins%20Fiesta%20shootout

Of course, that's what I meant. Wrote it too fast. Thanks!

Fly
12th December 2008, 08:41
Jaro Kinnunen is one to keep in mind for the future.

What about Tippana? I read he was good but I've been disappointed by his results. Is he slowly learning?

tmx
12th December 2008, 11:17
Many may have already know, but Evgeny Novikov driving the production class, I don't know if he could get the backing to take the big steps, but he is sure driving well against people with more experience. Shouldn't have been using that Subaru though.

Mirek
12th December 2008, 15:35
There are money behind Novikov in my opinion. They already tested C4 WRC...

ugriotti
18th December 2008, 08:20
anyone knows which PWRC and JWRC drivers already confirmed their plans for 2009?

Koppomsbo
18th December 2008, 08:56
With todays rally market where everything is about money back up i`ll guess Paris Hilton will be next years rising Young Gun.

Sami
20th December 2008, 14:14
Another good year for talent spotting, one of the best I can remember.

This year the expectations for Ogier and Novikov have become reality, both have shown huge potential and Ogier some unbelievable results too. So much that I even bet for him winning WRC Rally of Wales overall!

Novikov is so young that his mistakes and unconsistency are totally acceptable. His raw speed is something I haven't seen ever!

My answer to these talent threds have been Jarkko Nikara for some years now. his year he has shown amazing speed but really until Pirelli star driver competition his results have been disappointing. But the speed is there, and I'm looking forward to next year and his pwrc results.

About Tiippana, I don't have any faith, the same goes with Pinomäki and Miettinen. Ketomaa and Salo are really fast, but maybe too old already?

This year there is a totally new star in Finnish rallying. His name is Jaro Kinnunen (18 years old). I will quarantee that you'll hear about him in the future. His resuts and speed has been totally amazing this year, he drove 12 rallies with an old Honda Civic and matched the speed of some experienced national champions and 4wd cars. It is easy to admit that I'm one of the many many drivers he could easily beat. Comparing the in car videos it simple to see, he just drives faster and doesn't do those little mistakes I always loose time in. He is on the limits everywhere but never drove off. Not even once in 12 blind rally-competitions!

Esa-Pekka Lappi is even younger than Jaro, I 've seen his driving live only twice so I can't analyse him yet. Exceptionally fast kid he is!

So it looks bright for the future talent wise. Let's hope the economics allow these stars to shine!

A.F.F.
20th December 2008, 15:46
What is your opinion about Rantanen Sami?

A.F.F.
20th December 2008, 15:54
Double post.

Sami
20th December 2008, 21:56
Rantanen.

First of all I would like to say that he is really good.

But on the other hand, if you are not able to match the times of the fastest drivers nationally, how could you match or beat the fastest drivers internationally.

In World Championship rallying you have to be amazingly good in order to succeed, you have to be able to destroy your opposition on national level in order to go further. And that is not Rantanen.

If Ogier is now number one of the list of potential drivers, Östberg and Novikov are there right behind, Rantanen is somewhere outside of top ten.

Fly
1st February 2009, 11:09
Jocke Nyman (25y) was very fast this week-end on the roads of the Swedish rally, called Värmland Runt this year. http://www.swedishrally.com/varmlandrunt
OK, the level of the championship is not the same as their scandinavian neighbours, but I think he has a good potential. Don't know if he has money though.

Mirek
1st February 2009, 11:10
I saw Nyman on Rally Bohemia last year and was pretty much impressed by his driving :)

Fly
1st February 2009, 11:25
]I saw Nyman on Rally Bohemia last year and was pretty much impressed by his driving :)

On the Fiesta?
With no or few experience of 4wd, this week-end's performance is impressive.

Mirek
1st February 2009, 11:26
Yes, with Fiesta.

urabus-denoS2000
1st February 2009, 15:07
Marko Jeram from Slovenia,winner of Italian Fiesta Trophy 2007 and 2008

2003: Yugo Cup winner
2004 and 2005:Very fast with a GrN Clio,fastest 2WD,regulary mixing with N4s
2006: Front runner with Evo VIII,although 4WD (back then) didnt suit his style

2007:Fiesta Sporting Trophy Italy winner,was one of the fastest at the Shootout at M-Sport (lost on some interviews or somethig?)

2008:Fiesta Sporting Trophy Italy winner,testing with Focus WRC 08

2009:rumors are that he will drive Italian Clio R3 cup

Fly
30th October 2009, 13:44
Almost end of 2009 season in most championships.
Any new names to follow next year?
I mentioned Neuville as a young gun to follow 1,5 year ago and he's on the right track although still a long way to go.
Boon from Belgium as well needs to step up to level 2 in 2010. Then we can have a better idea of his potential.

bluuford
10th November 2009, 09:43
Almost end of 2009 season in most championships.
Any new names to follow next year?
I mentioned Neuville as a young gun to follow 1,5 year ago and he's on the right track although still a long way to go.
Boon from Belgium as well needs to step up to level 2 in 2010. Then we can have a better idea of his potential.

I think you should follow Ott Tänak who will be one of the Pirelli Star drivers next year. He plans to do some additional events as well, so probably he might be registered to PCWRC. He is now double Estonian GrN champion. He took part only in four rallies (due to the different reason) but won them all and became champion again.
He took part in NORF (With Subaru) where he was fourth in GrN behind 3 S2000 cars and in front of Flodin after 6 stages but on stage 7 he went of because after the jump something in steering broke and he went straight on into the trees on the next corner.
He also took part in Rally Portugal (his first ever WRC rally) During the penultimate stage of the first day he caught a car in front but while driving in the dust he damaged the steering a little and decided not to start for the last stage and got bit over 11 minutes penalty for that. He won also one stage in GrN and without that penalty he would have been fighting for the third place.

Sulland
10th November 2009, 12:26
In Norway the top talent that has been out in the world is still Mikkelsen and Østberg. Right behind them is Brynildsen.
All of them are planning to be in WRC, WC or IRC in 2010.

Still at the national level we have mr Grøndal A8, Bieltvedt N4, Hennings stepson Pontus Tiedemand,Subaru Cup (Swed but driving in Norway...), Trond Svenkerud, Subaru Cup, and maybe Marius Aasen Renault Clio N3.

As far as I remember no peak talent came up in 2009.

But will be interessting to see the first 3 next year, and hopefully Østberg in a new Car...

rx-guru
10th November 2009, 12:53
As far as I remember no peak talent came up in 2009.

Mats Lysen, – for the ERC at least. With 17 years of age the youngest European champion ever in RX. He drove an ex-Rautenbach Clio S1600 and I understood some people want him to switch to Rallying…

noel157
10th November 2009, 12:53
But will be interessting to see the first 3 next year, and hopefully Østberg in a new Car...

You forgot to knock over the tin of beans?

Sulland
10th November 2009, 14:47
You forgot to knock over the tin of beans?

What ? Pls explain ! :confused:

noel157
10th November 2009, 15:43
What ? Pls explain ! :confused:

Ok, sorry. Spill the beans about Ostberg's plans please.

JFL
10th November 2009, 17:44
No plans or rumours yet.. Some people wants to see him in another car... Thats all..

noel157
11th November 2009, 01:43
Ah, ok then. Keep us posted if he does have any plans for 2010.

teufel
11th November 2009, 07:26
Mats Lysen, – for the ERC at least. With 17 years of age the youngest European champion ever in RX. He drove an ex-Rautenbach Clio S1600 and I understood some people want him to switch to Rallying…

Had Rautenbach a Clio? I remember him only in Citroen...

Sulland
11th November 2009, 07:45
No plans or rumours yet.. Some people wants to see him in another car... Thats all..

Many of the norwegian petrolheads see the S14 as a project that will never succeed, and that he is waisting time, money and talent and would be better off in another car.

Mads is a very talented driver, but is on a side-track that is blind with the Subaru I am afraid !

bluuford
11th November 2009, 07:55
Had Rautenbach a Clio? I remember him only in Citroen...

He drove Clio S1600 in 2006 in 6 JWRC rallies.

noel157
11th November 2009, 09:28
Many of the norwegian petrolheads see the S14 as a project that will never succeed, and that he is waisting time, money and talent and would be better off in another car.

Mads is a very talented driver, but is on a side-track that is blind with the Subaru I am afraid !

I think many other people think that as well.Would be great to see him in another car.

efe-e
13th November 2009, 09:03
Emre Yurdakul (Turkish)

http://www.emreyurdakul.com/

Pinto
13th November 2009, 12:25

id i not read somewhere that hes to do a full campagin next year in the subaru

Pinto
13th November 2009, 12:28
ok maybe im biased young irish lad won all round him in the festias this year graig breen he plans to do the BRC next year in a festia S2000 and this i hope will be a steping stone to greater things,so if the festia will be a it hopes to be you could have a new irish name on the brc title,would also like to see him do a few wrc or irc rounds as well

Iskald
13th November 2009, 12:38

His father was a rally driver (Tommy Lysen) and he is living more or less in the middle of the forest - very close to classical stages used in the former ERC Rally Finnskog and also in Rally Norway. So he should have rallying in his blood. But for 2010 very doubtful, as the support system around him wants to see "their" young lad in Rallycross Div1 Supercars. He debuted in a Supercar at Lyngås track in september (having been given a dispensation from the age rules from the Norwegian ASN) and finished third, close behind Mikael Jernberg of Sweden and the Norwegian European champion, Sverre Isachsen. Among those Mats Lysen beat that day was Henning Solberg...
He is a talent, no doubt, extremely calm and focused to be only 17 years old. It would surely be very interesting to see him in a rally car.

Roy
13th November 2009, 14:30
ok maybe im biased young irish lad won all round him in the festias this year graig breen he plans to do the BRC next year in a festia S2000 and this i hope will be a steping stone to greater things,so if the festia will be a it hopes to be you could have a new irish name on the brc title,would also like to see him do a few wrc or irc rounds as well

Breen didn't drive a Fiesta S2000 but a fiesta R2!
http://www.fiestar2.com

He is very fast (in Fiesta group) indeed.

Mirek
13th November 2009, 14:52
I think You read it wrong, Pinto said that Breen plans to drive Fiesta S2000 NEXT YEAR ;)

Pinto
14th November 2009, 16:40
yes mirek that what i said

Roy
14th November 2009, 21:31
Ok :up:

pavlos_a
15th November 2009, 15:58
]I think You read it wrong, Pinto said that Breen plans to drive Fiesta S2000 NEXT YEAR ;)

He is fast and young. So we have to be patient and hope the best for him.

rx-guru
15th November 2009, 23:29
His father was a rally driver (Tommy Lysen) and he is living more or less in the middle of the forest - very close to classical stages used in the former ERC Rally Finnskog and also in Rally Norway. So he should have rallying in his blood. But for 2010 very doubtful, as the support system around him wants to see "their" young lad in Rallycross Div1 Supercars. He debuted in a Supercar at Lyngås track in september (having been given a dispensation from the age rules from the Norwegian ASN) and finished third, close behind Mikael Jernberg of Sweden and the Norwegian European champion, Sverre Isachsen. Among those Mats Lysen beat that day was Henning Solberg...
He is a talent, no doubt, extremely calm and focused to be only 17 years old. It would surely be very interesting to see him in a rally car.

http://www.rallycross.de/news/rxoarchive_pics/news_NBF2009prizegiving_01.jpg

And now they made him "Årets Bilsportsutøver 2009" (Norway’s Best Motor Sport Performer 2009).

Mitch555
16th November 2009, 01:05
Australia has some really good talent coming through at the moment.
Glen Raymond won his first ARC rally this year and finished second in the championship behind Simon Evans and in front of Neal Bates.

Brendan Reeves is also a great driver for his age (21), and has driven a variety of cars including Fiesta ST, Subaru and a virtually stock Mazda 3 MPS. Drives well on tarmac as well as gravel (8th in Tasmanian Tarmac Challenge in the Mazda 3 MPS, beating Skylines, Subies and Mitsus).

Eli Evans is fast but maybe his chance of WRC has gone. Did a year in the APRC with Les Walkden Rallying and has had a few big offs.

Nathan Quinn: Haven't seen much of him but is decently quick, only just got an Evo 9 after driving an ex. Atkinson Evo 5.

Ryan Smart: Another who drove an older car in 09 (Evo 6) but still was fast, but has a more powerful Corolla 4WD next year.

macksrallye
16th November 2009, 03:39
For anybody in australia reading this, look out for a guy named Travis White in the next few years. He's 21 but has unreal amounts of driving ability, in a recent WA championship round he only did the short event but would have been sitting 3rd outright behind a grp A GC8 & Evo9 (driving a deTomaso Charade) after the four stages it was comprised of. If he can get a chance to do national events in the next couple of years he could give Eli, Glen & Brendon a bit of a scare.

Zeakiwi
16th November 2009, 10:33
The NZ rally young fellas have their shootout at the end of November.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motorsport/news/article.cfm?c_id=66&objectid=10609196

(9 contestants listed)

Mitch555
16th November 2009, 11:33
For anybody in australia reading this, look out for a guy named Travis White in the next few years. He's 21 but has unreal amounts of driving ability, in a recent WA championship round he only did the short event but would have been sitting 3rd outright behind a grp A GC8 & Evo9 (driving a deTomaso Charade) after the four stages it was comprised of. If he can get a chance to do national events in the next couple of years he could give Eli, Glen & Brendon a bit of a scare.

Thats an awesome effort. Another guy similar is Sam Kirkland from Tassie. 18, only done a few rallies in a Mazda Familia 4WD. In the last two rounds of the Tasmanian Rally Series he's been setting really competitive times in and around the top 5.

rx-guru
21st November 2009, 14:44
But for 2010 very doubtful, as the support system around him wants to see "their" young lad in Rallycross Div1 Supercars.

Okay, understood today that his team took over the 2008 Ford Fiesta ST ERC of Marcus Grönholm from Andréas Eriksson. Good car, can take young Mats Lysen without any probs into B finals, possibly even into A finals… But for ERC A finals the grapes are hanging VERY HIGH these days… ;)

Zeakiwi
24th November 2009, 03:35
Barker, Jagger and Paddon won the 3 categories of the 2009 NZ Rally scholarships.

http://www.rallynz.org.nz/

michpetter
24th November 2009, 21:52
Who knows what happened to Jaan Mölder?? I haven't seen him on wrc stages for some time.

bluuford
24th November 2009, 22:28
Who knows what happened to Jaan Mölder?? I haven't seen him on wrc stages for some time.

I took a few beers with him couple of months ago and as far as I understood, everything was behind money as always. The economical situation in Estonia was not the best in last year and therefore you haven´t seen Jaan Mölder or Urmo Aava much in last year. But now it seems that everything is getting better and hopefully we can see them back in action next year. Jaan is currently studding in University.

PMM
25th November 2009, 07:50
Its early to say, but I'd like to throw two names in:

Esapekka Lappi - http://rallikuvat.1g.fi/2009/hamina/images/hamina_30.jpg
Mikko Pajunen - http://rallikuvat.1g.fi/2009/heinola/images/heinola_18.jpg

Here's an example (Yes, it's only one stage, and the top guys might have already been slowing)

SM Finnsco-Ralli:

SM2 - SS18 (25.32 km)

1.Lappi Esapekka 14:56,2
2.Pinomäki Kalle 0:01,1
3.Lindroos Joonas 0:01,9
4.Hautamäki Ville 0:03,1
(SC4 1.Pajunen Mikko 15:12,1)
5.Tahvanainen Toni 0:10,0
6.Korhonen Jukka 0:27,0
7.Tawast Anssi 0:29,9
8.Savolainen Jarkko 0:34,2
Hakulinen Janne 0:34,2
10.Kumpumäki Jussi 0:45,6
11.Teppo Jussi 0:47,5
12.Vainionpää Jussi 1:05,5
13.Harsia Toni 2:15,4
14.Yushin Andrey 2:31,1

Well, now you might ask what's so special about Pajunen. Well... He's driving 162HP Gr. F Kadett while SM2-cars are Gr. n cars.

Here is Mikko's wesite:
http://www.mikkopajunen.net/
Check the in-cars!!! http://arjy.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Mikko/Videot+ja+inkkarit+2009/

Iskald
26th November 2009, 21:09
Marius Aasen (17) is a very promising new name from Norway, and its highly possible he will debut in a WRC-event during Rally Sweden in february.

Fourteen days ago he experienced his greatest evening ever. During the Norwegian ASN Prize giving he was first presented with a Subaru Cup car from former Norwegian champion Birger Gundersen and veteran codriver Pål Iversen. Young Marius will use the car for free in 2010, and on top of that Mssrs. Gundersen/Iversen presented him with a check securing a running budget of appr. 50 000 Euros.
And as if that wasn`t enough, later in the evening Marius was crowned as the winner off the talent competition "Bilsporttalentet" (norwegian equivalent of the "Young driver of the year award" in Great Britain). The prize in the competition was worth a further 40 000 Euros for Marius Aasen. So he will do his first complete season in the norwegian championship and Subaru Cup next year, and he has the full budget already secured to do that and Rally Sweden in addition.

michpetter
1st December 2009, 11:24
Jaan is currently studding in University.

Do you know what he is studying? :)

As far I am concerned he is still the youngest ever driver to win the JWRC rally.
Despite wrc.com stating something different: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=5441&desc=J-WRC:%20Abbring%20becomes%20youngest%20J-WRC%20winner

bluuford
1st December 2009, 14:16
Do you know what he is studying? :)

As far I am concerned he is still the youngest ever driver to win the JWRC rally.
Despite wrc.com stating something different: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=5441&desc=J-WRC:%20Abbring%20becomes%20youngest%20J-WRC%20winner

I found from our university database that his curricula is called SL and it should be SOCIOLOGY.
He is still training to keep himself fit (playing basketball and running), In one day I met him when he decided to miss his lecture because the lecture room was too full and there were no places to stay and he went to run instead.
If I can see him I will talk to him and ask what are his plans.

Sami
2nd December 2009, 06:38
Its early to say, but I'd like to throw two names in:

Esapekka Lappi - http://rallikuvat.1g.fi/2009/hamina/images/hamina_30.jpg
Mikko Pajunen - http://rallikuvat.1g.fi/2009/heinola/images/heinola_18.jpg

Here's an example (Yes, it's only one stage, and the top guys might have already been slowing)

SM Finnsco-Ralli:

SM2 - SS18 (25.32 km)

1.Lappi Esapekka 14:56,2
2.Pinomäki Kalle 0:01,1
3.Lindroos Joonas 0:01,9
4.Hautamäki Ville 0:03,1
(SC4 1.Pajunen Mikko 15:12,1)
5.Tahvanainen Toni 0:10,0
6.Korhonen Jukka 0:27,0
7.Tawast Anssi 0:29,9
8.Savolainen Jarkko 0:34,2
Hakulinen Janne 0:34,2
10.Kumpumäki Jussi 0:45,6
11.Teppo Jussi 0:47,5
12.Vainionpää Jussi 1:05,5
13.Harsia Toni 2:15,4
14.Yushin Andrey 2:31,1

Well, now you might ask what's so special about Pajunen. Well... He's driving 162HP Gr. F Kadett while SM2-cars are Gr. n cars.

Here is Mikko's wesite:
http://www.mikkopajunen.net/
Check the in-cars!!! http://arjy.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Mikko/Videot+ja+inkkarit+2009/

I couldn't agree more, these two guys are our hope for the future, there was three amazing talents a year ago, Lappi, Pajunen and Jaro Kinnunen, all were superior in blind rallies, and as it typically happens, some of those are not at all fast on pace note -rallies. That happened to Jaro, he drives by what he sees and can't trust pace notes...

Pajunen should get a proper car, he is huge talent, look at these amazing clips and other on his webpage:

http://arjy.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Mikko/Videot+ja+inkkarit+2009/SM+Finnsco+Ralli+-+Hyvink%E4%E4/Ek1.wmv
-> After the roll he calmly asks: You have a cigarrette?

http://arjy.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Mikko/Videot+ja+inkkarit+2009/Pori+F-Cup+15.8.2009/pori_ek2.avi
-> this is a blind rally, check the way he enters the blind crests unaware what's behind. I admire that braveness. He just doesn't give up in the most hopeless situations. I was there spectating in that corner he almost rolls, that was really huge save as there was easily +100km/h speed there, he just kept it on wheels..

http://arjy.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Mikko/Videot+ja+inkkarit+2009/Volkswagen-ralli+F-Cup/Volkswagen+Ralli+-09+EK1+-+Pajunen.wmv
-> Great performance there too, blind rally this one too, but you hear typical co-driver work there, as he reads the road to driver the way he interprets what he sees...

Check the way he uses the accelerator, he never lifts the throtthle in corners, even in opposite lock he still keeps it nailed, amazing! Something Loeb mastered already in his early phases of career in Saxo.

Sami
2nd December 2009, 06:56
Interesting news about these two is, that they are now replacing Juho Hänninen, Jarkko Nikara and Matti Rantanen in Finnish Rally Coaching group. About Hänninen and Nikara, added with Jari Ketomaa, they are the three "group 1" super talents of Finland, Lappi and Pajunen are in my opinion group 2. The third member of the Coaching group is Jukka Korhonen, the F-Cup champion of this year

Jeppe
4th December 2009, 12:46
You´re right Sami. Those three young guys will be the new "AKK rallivalmennusryhmä" AKK Drivers Academy in english.

And according to rumours Mikko Pajunen might compete in BRC in 2010.

Sami
4th December 2009, 14:42
You´re right Sami. Those three young guys will be the new "AKK rallivalmennusryhmä" AKK Drivers Academy in english.

And according to rumours Mikko Pajunen might compete in BRC in 2010.

Which car?

Plus Finnish Championship too? Which car?

Sami
7th January 2010, 19:32
Nice 2009 season review video of Mikko Pajunen:

http://arjy.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Mikko/SLADIKOOSTE,+IN-CAR.wmv

All but the last roll on that video are from blind rallies, so no notes, even though the co driver reads the road for the driver, "seems to be going right, don't know, tightens!"

Iskald
7th January 2010, 20:42
Nice 2009 season review video of Mikko Pajunen:

http://arjy.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Mikko/SLADIKOOSTE,+IN-CAR.wmv

All but the last roll on that video are from blind rallies, so no notes, even though the co driver reads the road for the driver, "seems to be going right, don't know, tightens!"

Impressive stuff, and certainly impressive bravery from the codriver! He must be the ultimate optimist.

After 30 years of codriving, I`m too old for this, Sami! Will be interesting to follow the young chap further on in his career. I have a hunch that we will be hearing some more from him...

Co-FIN
2nd March 2010, 20:09

COD
3rd March 2010, 13:39
Also Rantanen and Nikara will be doing the British Championship in an R2 Twingo. More on the BRC website

Fly
26th March 2010, 12:30
This week-end in Belgium: young gun Mathias Boon (Impreza N14) VS Patrick Snijers (Impreza N12) at rally des Ardennes. We'll have a better idea of Boon's potential. He took part to this rally last year. Snijers has won the rally 9 or 10 times.
Boon was 2008 Fiesta shoot out winner but has still to confirm his potential.

Fly
29th March 2010, 12:53
British news:
- Good season start for Nikara and Pajunen.
- Cronin untouchable and Fisher fast before retiring (mechanical).
- Breen slower than Cronin before retiring as well.

Belgian news:
- Boon defeated Snijers by 15 sec on a tough rallye des Ardennes.

COD
6th April 2010, 20:48
A nice document on Finnish TV about Jarkko Nikara. In Finnish of course. Can be viewed a week in:

http://areena.yle.fi/video/878362

Tomi
6th April 2010, 21:28
A nice document on Finnish TV about Jarkko Nikara. In Finnish of course. Can be viewed a week in:

http://areena.yle.fi/video/878362

I did watch it from tv, it was quite realistic story about rally today, I know his manager, he did drive him self long time ago, he is a little like Välimäki, can not drive but good to find money, thats why I think he might take Nikara a long way.

Wasted Talent
7th April 2010, 18:33
So who is going to succeed in JWRC this year?

Burkart has a lot more experience than the rest - what does everyone think of the rest?

Kevin Abbring - second best experience but not the fastest?
Loic Mattei - France has backed winners in JWRC in the past
Todor Slavov?
Alessandro Broccoli - been around a while in Italy - best on tarmac?
Harry Hunt - well I'm British and don't really know anything about him....not had any PR big-guns reporting on him
Thierry Neuville - been competng in Belgium for a while, seems to have stepped up with the JWRC and some IRC drives this year - accident prone?
Karl Kruuda - not much experience?

WT

Mirek
7th April 2010, 18:43
On tarmac Neuville is fastest. On gravel it might be Abbring. Slavov is quite good on tarmac but has almost no experience on gravel. Broccoli is experienced driver and knows gravel also. We shouldn't forget Burkart again too. My favorite is Neuville.

alterdaxter
7th April 2010, 23:19
For Neuville: results (http://www.thierryneuville.be/Content/C_DokOhneSitebar.aspx?NID=5&SPR=4)

for 2009 + 2010 - 14 rally's with C2R2 Max:
* 8x 1st place R2
* 3x 2nd place R2
* 1x 4th place R2
* 1x out (mechanic)
* 1x out (accident)

hopefully gravel will suit him well (did already one in france and won his class last year), real talent for the next years if you ask me

Sso
9th April 2010, 06:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyyWnUAgMQ4

Kalle Rovanperä, son of Harri.
Not really a challenger yet, but it sure looks promising... :)

teufel
9th April 2010, 08:19
]On tarmac Neuville is fastest. On gravel it might be Abbring. Slavov is quite good on tarmac but has almost no experience on gravel. Broccoli is experienced driver and knows gravel also. We shouldn't forget Burkart again too. My favorite is Neuville.

My bet in on Neuville as well. Somehow i don't like Burkart's attitude, i don't see him being fast...

Wasted Talent
9th April 2010, 10:22
Found out that Harry Hunt has done two Fiesta rounds in UK - big step up to JWRC.

Thanks for the info on Neuville - he has done more rallies and had more finishes than I thought

Keep the info coming....

RICARDO75
9th April 2010, 14:04
]On tarmac Neuville is fastest. On gravel it might be Abbring. Slavov is quite good on tarmac but has almost no experience on gravel. Broccoli is experienced driver and knows gravel also. We shouldn't forget Burkart again too. My favorite is Neuville.

On gravel rallys, Yerai Lemes could be very fast.

br21
9th April 2010, 21:15

I agree, on tarmac Neuville is fastest and has tarmac suiting car - S1600 from very good team. On gravel definitely Abbring (on tarmac his car gives him no chances in this competition). Broccoli will be fast also I think. Also Burkart will be competitive and has very good car. Slavov could be fast in his home event.

br21
10th April 2010, 07:59
and I forgot about Weijs - I think on tarmac he could be equally fast as Neuville and has similar car.

Fly
16th August 2010, 10:49
Pirelli Star driver shootout northern selection was held in Sweden: Home favourite Fredrik Ahlin, 19 (Impreza GrN) won in front of Craig Breen, 20 (Fiesta S2000), Dave Weston Jr, 19 (Impreza GrN)and Esapekka Lappi, 19 (Civic GrN). Finnish rising star Lappi crashed and apparently destroyed his Honda.
Ahlin and Breen are both selected for the final round later this year.

vino_93
16th August 2010, 14:03
Have you news about others events ? (southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Central Europe, Baltic Countries, ... ?)

Mitch555
16th August 2010, 14:14
Found out that Harry Hunt has done two Fiesta rounds in UK - big step up to JWRC.

Thanks for the info on Neuville - he has done more rallies and had more finishes than I thought

Keep the info coming....

My guess is Harry Hunt, like Tom Cave has a lot of money to burn. Hunt did Monte and has done some IRC events plus WRC events. Thats a lot of money to find. Tom Cave, drove in Latvia before he was 17, must have cost a stack loads, and now he is pottering round in a Proton which would have also cost a tonne. Yet drivers like Cronin, Fisher, Bogie, Gass, Gould, Greer and Weston are all missing out dearly with Craig Breen the only one to get a real go with the Fiesta, and now Cronin in a Proton for a rally. Its the sad thing about the sport that drivers that good can get nothing (just like Wilks and Meeke a few years ago) yet have a stack of talent.

Mintexmemory
16th August 2010, 17:07
Burkart has the local knowledge for Germany but Weiss and Abbring have been doing a fair bit of Tarmac work recently and both looked very speedy at Ypres. I think both have the ability to step up to S2000 and one of them will win J-WRC
Thierry Neuville has already shown his S2000 suitability with his very good 3rd place (held back too!) at Ypres. Should be an interesting run in for J-WRC

Mirek
16th August 2010, 17:11
5 PSD competitors on Barum rally (don't ask me about rules) - Černý (CZ), Ondrej (SK), Neubauer (A), Sertic (HR), Chuchala (PL)

Rallytourist
16th August 2010, 17:24
http://www.kevin-demaerschalk.com/blog5.php/2010/03/24/rally-team

For the moment in Belgium for Me Kevin Demaerschalk is the great Talent . First year in the fiesta Trophy against De Cecco , Martin , Cherain and others and for the moment 3th in the championship .
20 years old

Mirek
16th August 2010, 17:26
Watching on stages he was really impressive in Ypres!

Fly
16th August 2010, 20:24
]5 PSD competitors on Barum rally (don't ask me about rules) - Černý (CZ), Ondrej (SK), Neubauer (A), Sertic (HR), Chuchala (PL)

Pirelli shootout rules are not clear, at least to me! Lappi was complaining before last w-e event about the fact that his Civic had no chance against the 2 Impreza's and 1 S2000. So is it just the times that matter? Who's your favourite for Barum shootout?

Tomi
16th August 2010, 20:43
Pirelli shootout rules are not clear, at least to me! Lappi was complaining before last w-e event about the fact that his Civic had no chance against the 2 Impreza's and 1 S2000. So is it just the times that matter? Who's your favourite for Barum shootout?

I remember reading from somewhere that Ketomaa was supposed to drive the Pirelli Cup thing this year, but he reached somekind of agreement with Pirelli, so that they sponsor him this year instead.
I rememberd wrong, he won the Pirelli Stardriver, so he would have got a free WRC event, but changed that for sponsoring instead.

COD
17th August 2010, 07:10
Pirelli shootout rules are not clear, at least to me! Lappi was complaining before last w-e event about the fact that his Civic had no chance against the 2 Impreza's and 1 S2000. So is it just the times that matter?

At least in the first year it was not only times that mattered, as Nikara was one of the two Europeans selected and he drove the shootout in Fiesta ST against Evo 9 Mitsus etc.

noel157
17th August 2010, 07:59
I read somewhere that although times were considered in the Snappane Rally drivers were also to be monitored along each stage to see what lines they took and how they approached possible hazards etc.

Mirek
17th August 2010, 10:15
Yes, last year I met Petter Solberg and Manfred Stohl on stage of Freistadt Shootout. They watched everyone and made notes about their style etc. I'm not sure if it's still same but especially how the nomination rounds work since last year selected ERC events counted (based on each stage positions or something like that).

vino_93
17th August 2010, 18:23

I think Cerny and Neubauer will be very fast, maybe Ondrej too, but I don't know Chuchala and the croatian driver :mad:

Does somebody know if there is something in western europe southern europe and eastern europe ? :/

harriswrc
17th August 2010, 19:57
I know that Sliven Rally is in the Pirelli shootout for eastern Europe.
Along with the best Bulgarian and Serbian pilots in Sliven Rally will take part pilots from Georgia, Greece, Russia, Serbia and Ukraine. The Pirelli Star Driver competition will be only during the first day of Rally Sliven. It includes eight special stages - 119.22 km.
http://www.rallysliven.com/indexen.php?mod=new&id=2

vino_93
18th August 2010, 10:20
Thank you :)

Juha_Koo
18th August 2010, 11:56
Maybe not the ideal thread for this but close enough... Could our Swedish members tell a bit about Ramona Karlsson/Miriam Walfridsson? ( http://www.ramonarallying.com )

Not only do they represent the Swedish beauty at it's best, but I've got an impression that their speed has risen quite a lot this year. Am I rite? Atleast when looking the onboards, it's proper rally driving and not just cruising around...

Rallyper
19th August 2010, 02:32
Maybe not the ideal thread for this but close enough... Could our Swedish members tell a bit about Ramona Karlsson/Miriam Walfridsson? ( http://www.ramonarallying.com )

Not only do they represent the Swedish beauty at it's best, but I've got an impression that their speed has risen quite a lot this year. Am I rite? Atleast when looking the onboards, it's proper rally driving and not just cruising around...

Correct! But still a long way to go until reaching the absolute top of the fastest swedish youngsters.

Micke_VOC
30th August 2010, 23:50
The fastest young rallydrivers from Sweden now:

Pontus Tidemand, won the Subaru Cup in Norway this weekend
Fredrik Åhlin, won the Pirelli Shoot out North Europe ( Craig Breen was second)

Iskald
31st August 2010, 11:07
The fastest young rallydrivers from Sweden now:

Pontus Tidemand, won the Subaru Cup in Norway this weekend
Fredrik Åhlin, won the Pirelli Shoot out North Europe ( Craig Breen was second)

Actually Pontus Tidemand now has norwegian citizenship. His mother Maud Solberg (wife of Henning) and his father Thomas Tidemand are of course from Sweden, but when I spoke to Pontus last weekend he regarded himself as "official" Norwegian. He still speaks very swedish, though...
Pontus is a nice bloke and he is absolutely a natural talent. In that family its no big surprise that he has developed into a very good rally driver, though.

vino_93
31st August 2010, 12:25
Who are the two winners for the PSD to the Barum ? Cerny and Chuchala ? Or Neubauer ?

Micke_VOC
1st September 2010, 22:46
Actually Pontus Tidemand now has Norwegian citizenship. His mother Maud Solberg (wife of Henning) and his father Thomas Tidemand are of course from Sweden, but when I spoke to Pontus last weekend he regarded himself as "official" Norwegian. He still speaks very swedish, though...
Pontus is a nice bloke and he is absolutely a natural talent. In that family its no big surprise that he has developed into a very good rally driver, though.

He has a Norwegian social security number and two addresses, one in Sweden and one in Norway, but he is Swedish Citizen..
Asked him today about it...

Mirek
2nd September 2010, 13:46
Who are the two winners for the PSD to the Barum ? Cerny and Chuchala ? Or Neubauer ?

Černý and Neubauer but it seems that PSD anyway won't happen next year...

Iskald
3rd September 2010, 12:36
He has a Norwegian social security number and two addresses, one in Sweden and one in Norway, but he is Swedish Citizen..
Asked him today about it...

Ah, he just wants to be a Norwegian. I can fully understand that!

Sulland
3rd September 2010, 13:29
Ah, he just wants to be a Norwegian. I can fully understand that!

Most of Swedens under 30 population agree with you, since they are all in Norway these days, working in bars, shops and resteurants !! :p

vino_93
3rd September 2010, 16:14
]Černý and Neubauer but it seems that PSD anyway won't happen next year...

Neubauer :)
It's a shame if PSD will stop ... :(

vino_93
4th September 2010, 18:44
Bostanci and Cosma, the winners of Eastern Europe Zone. Bostanci is doing a very good rally, he is 6th (Rally Sliven) :)

muscrae
5th September 2010, 19:16
Bostanci and Cosma, the winners of Eastern Europe Zone. Bostanci is doing a very good rally, he is 6th (Rally Sliven) :)

Murat Bostancı, the son of the director of Ford Rallye Team Turkey; Serdar Bostancı, did a perfect job throught the weekend. He scored top five and eigth times with his Fiesta R2 against 4wheel cars. He was far away from the PSD candidates already... He is a real talent and I hope and believe, he will be selected for PSD 2011... :)

Fly
18th November 2010, 14:04
Almost live times of the Fiesta shoot out on the Fiesta SportTrophy International Facebook page, with Elfyn Evans, Jussi Kumpumaki, Calle Ward,...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fiesta-SportTrophy-International/183088720254

Zeakiwi
19th November 2010, 10:45
Barker won the contract with M-Sport
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1011/S00304/kiwi-stephen-barker-wins-international-rally-shootout.htm

The NZ Rally championship tv coverage next year will be different without Barker 'in car' vid.

Fly
19th November 2010, 14:27
Barker won the contract with M-Sport
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1011/S00304/kiwi-stephen-barker-wins-international-rally-shootout.htm

The NZ Rally championship tv coverage next year will be different without Barker 'in car' vid.

How good is Barker?

Rallyper
19th November 2010, 15:56
How good is Barker?

Almost 14 secs slower than swedens´Ward on two short stages..... :cool:

Rally Hokkaido
19th November 2010, 16:17
Almost 14 secs slower than swedens´Ward on two short stages..... :cool: ....and still beat him!

Rallyper
19th November 2010, 16:47
....and still beat him!

yeah, for sure. Drivers skills is of no importance nowadays. That´s why the sport is on retardation, maybe.....

Zeakiwi
19th November 2010, 18:16
Maybe someone had googled Ward's Rally Bohemia result ?

One dented Clio.

Perhaps M-Sport were really looking for a rally mechanic a role which Barker should be well suited to.

Rallyper
19th November 2010, 19:14
Maybe someone had googled Ward's Rally Bohemia result ?

One dented Clio.

Perhaps M-Sport were really looking for a rally mechanic a role which Barker should be well suited to.

Well, that was years ago. What do you really know about calle Ward. tell me? ;)

sollitt
19th November 2010, 19:17
If you read the article you might discover that Barker was significantly ahead after the first days fitness, mental & media tests and so felt that he could take a cautious approach to the driving test.
I guess he learnt the lesson from NZ's contestant the previous year who was amongst if not the quickest in the car but putting it off the road extinguished any chance of winning the prize.
It was a strategy that clearly paid off as you must understand the nature of the competition you've entered.

Rallyper
19th November 2010, 21:01
If you read the article you might discover that Barker was significantly ahead after the first days fitness, mental & media tests and so felt that he could take a cautious approach to the driving test.
I guess he learnt the lesson from NZ's contestant the previous year who was amongst if not the quickest in the car but putting it off the road extinguished any chance of winning the prize.
It was a strategy that clearly paid off as you must understand the nature of the competition you've entered.

Yeah, for sure fitness and mental & media tests says a lot of how to tacle a 35k special stage in Finland, lying on 5 th place with no chance of winning. Maybe it´s a good quality to have when you´re way out of winning... :dozey:

Let´s see in the future. My hopes are on Calle. I know his qualitys.

sollitt
19th November 2010, 22:35
I think once again you're letting sour grapes get in the way of sound judgement.
As I stated, this was a competition with a number of components, driving the stage being only one.
Might I suggest that had it been a driving competition only, or had Barker have been playing catch up rather than leading after day 1, that his stage times might have been a bit hotter.
Like you with Ward, I know what Barker is capable of.
What he's demonstrated here is that he understood the competition, prepared for it, and applied himself across all areas, collectively, better than his rivals. That's how you win.

Tomi
19th November 2010, 23:06
Im not sure how much one can rely on theese shoot out and what ever driving competitions that has been created lately, there is built-in so many, more or less amusing components other than driving, but anyway if a driver is good enough he find his way to the top.

Rallyper
20th November 2010, 15:05
I don´t think Barker won because of his own efforts. Not in the whole anyway.
I think this time it was Barker who suited the teamboss most.

I guess everyone of the participants was well prepared for the event. There´s no reason to come unprepared to such an event.

As someone said..."It´s very much politics in whom it´s gonna be this time..."

And as you know there was a swede back in 2006 who won the shootout. So my guess is no matter how much Calle Ward had suited he´d never could win this time.

End of story.

sollitt
20th November 2010, 20:44
Bloody sore loser.

End of story!

Fly
30th April 2011, 19:04
David Bogie, Robert Barrable, Mark Donnelly, Elfyn Evans, Tom Cave, Craig Breen...etc

With those guys going up, I hope British rallying has a future.

Any of theses names you would put your money on?

I would put mine on Mark Donnelly.

N.O.T
30th April 2011, 19:50
sad list....

urabus-denoS2000
30th April 2011, 19:50
Elfyn Evans ! He has a very smart father who is leading his carrer , hopefully he will be able to do one step more than his father and join a works team in the WRC ;)

tolis
30th April 2011, 20:00
Craig Breen

N.O.T
30th April 2011, 20:03
no sorry...

tolis
30th April 2011, 20:04
no sorry...
ok, N.O.T. sorry...

pantealex
30th April 2011, 20:19
Craig Breen
+1

Wim_Impreza
30th April 2011, 20:36
Craig Breen and maybe Elfyn Evans. Keith Cronin deserves his place in that list too, but as much drivers he has budget problems.

I don't know why Thomas Cave and Robert Barrable are in this list, they haven't impressed me until now...

MJW
30th April 2011, 21:01
Elfyn Evans has definately got the talent, all he needs us the money and he is WRC level, and I dont mean tourist level either!

N.O.T
30th April 2011, 21:39
all these names are good and i am sure i can add some from Greece as well and many would agree since we have some very nice "yes men" in my my country (actually we have the best blind "yes men" in europe when it comes to rallying).

How do you know if someone has the talent for WRC level ??? and this is not a question full of my usual bone crushing irony and whit...i would really like to know how you can tell that someone has the talent for the top....maybe my standards when it comes to judging a driver are a bit off that is why i am a pessimist....

MJW
30th April 2011, 21:50
How do you know if someone has the talent for WRC level ??? and this is not a question full of my usual bone crushing irony and whit...i would really like to know how you can tell that someone has the talent for the top....maybe my standards when it comes to judging a driver are a bit off that is why i am a pessimist.... Unfortunately I cant scientifically answer that, I did feel the same (about Elfyn) when I first saw Jari Matti in 2002, and Ogier in 08, and Colin McRae in late 1980's. Elfyn's weakness is that he doesnt have a multimillionaire backing. If he did?......

N.O.T
30th April 2011, 22:12
oh so you base it just on the feeling you get from his driving....hmmmmm.

Not legit enough i must say but i do not diminish it completely also....the problem is that if you go to a sponsor/manager and you tell him to spend 2-5 million on a guy just because you have a good feeling i do not think you can achieve much.

I base my assumptions on 4 things only in that particular order

1. The championship/rallies the guy chooses to run
2. Stage times
3. Overall results
4. the feeling you mention when i get the chance to see him live

you have to take into account also that rally is basically a hobby....i doubt any professional driver will honestly reply "rally driver" to the question what would you like to become when you grow up ?? So with that in mind you then have to ask the question...is the driver i am considering a great talent serious about his career or he is just ok if he has a lot of yes men surrounding him and the only thing he becomes is a useless nobody local village champion with plenty of useless yes men sheep supporters ??

tfp
1st May 2011, 01:00
oh so you base it just on the feeling you get from his driving....hmmmmm.

Not legit enough i must say but i do not diminish it completely also....the problem is that if you go to a sponsor/manager and you tell him to spend 2-5 million on a guy just because you have a good feeling i do not think you can achieve much.

I base my assumptions on 4 things only in that particular order

1. The championship/rallies the guy chooses to run
2. Stage times
3. Overall results
4. the feeling you mention when i get the chance to see him live

you have to take into account also that rally is basically a hobby....i doubt any professional driver will honestly reply "rally driver" to the question what would you like to become when you grow up ?? So with that in mind you then have to ask the question...is the driver i am considering a great talent serious about his career or he is just ok if he has a lot of yes men surrounding him and the only thing he becomes is a useless nobody local village champion with plenty of useless yes men sheep supporters ??

You could be a politician with speeches like that:-)

N.O.T
1st May 2011, 01:24
i was actually at local/city level.... but once i got elected i resigned very briefly (2 months) afterwards because i realised i could not do anything of value with the given circumstances.

Micke_VOC
6th May 2011, 09:17
The number one coming man from Sweden is Pontus Tidemand, only 20 years old and really fast.
He was second overall in the national event in Rally Sweden and won the second round of swedish championship overall with a Fiesta S2000.

He has ha new website now ( english version to)
http://www.ptm-racing.se/?lang=en

Sulland
7th May 2011, 16:05
What German driver has enough potential to be a VW driver in 2013 ?

N.O.T
7th May 2011, 17:10

none

rp
7th May 2011, 17:19

There is no such kind of drivers. Only if VW really wants that there must be a German driver then they take Gaßner, but of course 2013 will be too early for him...

Barreis
7th May 2011, 21:11
Academy is stupid. JWRC was much better.

N.O.T
7th May 2011, 21:16
academy is stupid...the JWRC was too expensive though and was a place for the rich and the useless the last few years with just 1 or 2 real drivers.

Wasted Talent
7th May 2011, 21:24
Wouldn't say that the Academy is stupid, but the cars have been sadly deficient in terms of reliability.

Surely it would have been better for the cars to have been made more bullet-proof even if slightly slower, so that the drivers could get awya with slightly cruder driving.

WT

Sulland
8th May 2011, 14:47
Yes but msport have gotten their money.....
And the org that runs them is new is it not?

Tofrallye29
3rd July 2011, 13:01
Last Ford tests, Jérémi Ancian (27 yo) was in guest with Tanak, Scandola and Novikov. First time with a 4WD and after 3 runs he was as quick as Novikov. Amazing !
He have to do 6 runs but Wilson gave him 8 others runs.

He was with Ogier in the Rallye Jeune's team in 2005 (they are good friends). He stopped in 2007 (no budget) but restart in 2009. He won the Swift Cup in 2009 and won the JWRC in France last year

Walach
3rd July 2011, 18:32
Last Ford tests, Jérémi Ancian (27 yo) was in guest with Tanak, Scandola and Novikov. First time with a 4WD and after 3 runs he was as quick as Novikov. Amazing !

He was with Ogier in the Rallye Jeune's team in 2005 (they are good friends). He stopped in 2007 (no budget) but restart in 2009. He won the Swift Cup in 2009 and won the JWRC in France last year

Maybe it was because he listen to his pacenotes :D

N.O.T
3rd July 2011, 18:34

very interesting...

mousti
3rd July 2011, 19:20
Barrable did a great job in Ypres one week ago! Seems aphalt suits him better than forest stages in his own country!

Tofrallye29
5th July 2011, 14:37
Maybe it was because he listen to his pacenotes :D
Denis Giraudet told me it is impossible to calm him. He doesn't know what he would be necessary to make, maybe a rifle :laugh:
Denis will finish the year with Evgeny, probably Finland, Wales and France or Australia

Mintexmemory
5th July 2011, 14:41
Barrable did a great job in Ypres one week ago! Seems aphalt suits him better than forest stages in his own country!
The forest stages aren't in his 'own country'. He is from the Republic of Eire where the vast majority of rallying is on tarmac, so his performance at Ypres isn't so surprising. :p

mousti
5th July 2011, 15:11
The forest stages aren't in his 'own country'. He is from the Republic of Eire where the vast majority of rallying is on tarmac, so his performance at Ypres isn't so surprising. :p
Everyone was surprised, the level of competition was much higher and the tarmac there on Ireland and here in Ypres is not comparable.

Mintexmemory
5th July 2011, 15:35
Everyone was surprised, the level of competition was much higher and the tarmac there on Ireland and here in Ypres is not comparable.

I thought the conditions for the first 3 stages on Saturday were directly comparable, mud and water on the road are conditions RB is very familiar with; you may have heard about Ireland being very green ;)
The point is he has driven on tarmac in all conditions and will be much more at home than in a forest (don't think I didn't notice your quick change of argument :D ). Johnny Greer was actually the much more surprising performance imho.

mousti
5th July 2011, 19:39
I thought the conditions for the first 3 stages on Saturday were directly comparable, mud and water on the road are conditions RB is very familiar with; you may have heard about Ireland being very green ;)
The point is he has driven on tarmac in all conditions and will be much more at home than in a forest (don't think I didn't notice your quick change of argument :D ). Johnny Greer was actually the much more surprising performance imho.
He's best times came on friday though.. (He said: “The Ypres Rally is a very difficult tarmac rally and the stages are unique and very different to Irish tarmac rallies.) He lost even the Cavan Stages from a Evo IX here he beated the local very fast Gr N's :D . How was Greer surprising? He didn't show any pace the whole rally not in times and not on the places where I stood.. The showing of Barrable could be something good for the future in Greer I don't see anything in him that he can show any good internationally asphalt.

Mintexmemory
5th July 2011, 23:44
Well, time will tell. Robbie hasn't been setting the British Championship alight - why? Simply because he's been getting used to the car, this explains the Cavan stages result. Got to say though, you over rate the speed of your local group N drivers. Not trying to start an argument, but only Van Den Heuval looks speedy. Again you are being a bit hard with Greer, he truly doesn't have much experience with the Skoda on tarmac so his was very much an education visit. He has made big improvements on loose surfaces, Hans Weijs is going to have to do that as he appears good on tarmac but ordinary on gravel ( I think he is good enough to improve). I look forward to seeing all the fore mentioned in 2012 edition to see what difference a year has made. Truly a must-visit for every rally fan

mousti
6th July 2011, 15:04
Then everyone is overrating here in Belgium what Langenakens can do.. Vd Heuvel is offcourse on another level he was with R4 but would also win in N4 that was something I already knew. Greer may come back next year, if he's then doing some top 15 times against such a field like it was this year then I can say he can do something in the future good things from Barrable I'm convinced he can do that and he know now that there are ditches :p .

Mintexmemory
6th July 2011, 20:54
...... and he know now that there are ditches :p .
Grin.

Viking
18th November 2011, 10:25
Always fun to bring this up again. Some very good namedropping back in 08, some.... not so good :)

Any new rising stars out there??

Mintexmemory
18th November 2011, 13:48
Jarkko Nikkara.

Fly
18th November 2011, 14:46
Jarkko Nikkara.

The guy has something special to offer but time is running. If he doesn't break through in 2012, he might finish his career in his national championship.

Mirek
18th November 2011, 16:09
If I remember right he said he would like to do IRC next year.

Fly
18th November 2011, 21:38
Rokland wins Fiesta shootout | WRC News | Nov 2011 | Crash.Net (http://www.crash.net/World+Rally/news/174992/1/rokland_wins_fiesta_shootout.html)

rubla
18th November 2011, 21:56
I have seen him only in one rally but - Esapekka Lappi - perhaps in 3-4 years?

Hartusvuori
19th November 2011, 08:04
If I remember right he said he would like to do IRC next year.

Nikara has stated he'd like do international events in 2012. It's all about getting the budget together I believe. For sure IRC must be one of the options his team is eyeing on. He has also said that he has no interested for Finnish Championship in 2012, he need to get out.

What if Nikara would've gotten the PSD program a year later - or has the Evo X been more reliable in 2009? Or different car for PSD program? Lots of questions. For sure he is very fast driver and for sure I hope he would get noticed better. But like Fly mentioned, time is running.

rp
19th November 2011, 10:29
Also many times thought if Nikara´s PSD program had been a year later. He showed his speed and there is no doubt that he is very, very fast, but there was so much problems with the Evo X that the season was a big disappointment.

He has competed behind the wheel of the Super 2000 car only once and took three ss-wins in the group N4 in Finland 2010 driving Peugeot 207 which was not at the same level as other drivers cars (Hänninen, Andersson, Sandell, Ketomaa, Prokop etc..). It is so sad situation if he will not get the opportunity to show his skills.

Can not understand how it can be so difficult in Finland to get the necessary backing if you are not in the Timo Jouhki´s team. Rallying is still like a national sport in Finland, but if you do not have a rich manager it is almost impossible rise to the top.

Of course the situation is same also abroad. Without their family business and rich fathers, drivers like Østberg, Mikkelsen and Prokop would have never been in the WRC. They are good drivers and still learning, but money has helped a lot...

jens
19th November 2011, 10:49
Looking at what was written in this thread three years ago, Tänak, Mikkelsen and Neuville were good guesses. Let's see, what you can come up with now. :)

Mintexmemory
19th November 2011, 10:59
Everyone can see the potential in Breen but of the other Academy drivers this year Kaur, Cerny and Crugnola all seem to have potential, while Yeray Lemes has already shown speed in S2000
I don't see Karl Kruuda as having made much progress this year, although the hallucinogenic paint job on his car is entertaining.

Barreis
19th November 2011, 14:16
This young driver's academy is bad. JWRC was much better. Didin't follow any of their results this season.

Allar
19th November 2011, 15:10
I don't see Karl Kruuda as having made much progress this year, although the hallucinogenic paint job on his car is entertaining.

He dont have much talent in rallying. He loves the sport and have rich daddy, so whynot?

Iskald
19th November 2011, 15:28
This young driver's academy is bad. JWRC was much better. Didin't follow any of their results this season.

So it`s bad because you didn`t follow any of their results?

Mirek
19th November 2011, 16:11
Good one :D For me academy is way better idea for its purpose than JWRC was. Almost no differences in machinery, much more drivers, much better battles.

eestlane
19th November 2011, 16:36
I think the opposite about Kruuda beacouse when you look Spain and Wales stage times he was quite impressive ;)
And dont forget he´s only 18 and his rivals are 5-10 years older than him :)

PLuto
19th November 2011, 16:57
I agree with eestlane, Karl made a big progress this year.

noel157
19th November 2011, 17:17
+1. Great young talent. Good learning curve in the Honda and Suzuki.

bluuford
19th November 2011, 17:42

If you know how slow he was a year ago, then you should see that his speed has improved a lot. He has surprised me a lot. I did not expect it from him. I have seen him driving with Fiesta and with the proper top car he was spectacular and by the stage times, he was pretty fast as well. He belongs among those who gets better with practice.

mousti
19th November 2011, 18:27
6th in Ypres not bad big gap though, but he atleast finished the rally.

Mirek
19th November 2011, 18:52
On asphalt there he still has a lot to improve but it's not bad. See this onboard and watch how he works with steering: Vše o Rally CZ, AutoCrossu, RallyCrossu, Kartingu • MediaSport.cz (http://www.mediasport.cz/jezdci---rally/kruuda-karl/1273.html)

Fly
19th November 2011, 19:10
I like Kruuda's style but he's braking on asphalt like on gravel. Stepping hard on the brakes to find some grip on the braking zones. At least that was the case in Ypres in 2010 and 2011.

But he can change it. I remember Loix giving advices to Gröhnholm in a Belgian rally. They both drove a Corolla WRC the year before Marcus went to Peugeot. Freddy was telling Marcus to avoid left foot braking on asphalt and told him how it works. I'm sure Grönholm would never have been champ without Loix :D
Auriol (him again) once said that it is easier for an asphalt driver to become good on gravel than the opposite.

Barreis
19th November 2011, 21:02
So it`s bad because you didn`t follow any of their results?

It's not that way. Just not interested to me this year. Maybe someone else enjoyed much more but I didn't.

Allar
19th November 2011, 23:28
I dont say that Kruuda cant drive and yes he have mede very good progress, but in my eyes he dont have talent just hard work. Im not suprised when he can reach level Wilson one day.

eestlane
20th November 2011, 00:05
If you are 18 and your racing againts the worlds best drivers than how is that not a talent?

noel157
20th November 2011, 00:15
I don't see much difference between Kruuda and Mickelsen when he was 18. Guy has talent. Time will tell.

Nornbugger
20th November 2011, 11:37
I don't see much difference between Kruuda and Mickelsen when he was 18. Guy has talent. Time will tell.

thainking the same myself, Mikkelsen was a rough diamond at 18, Latvala and Ostberg were too

johunn
21st November 2011, 08:13
In my opinion 18 is such a young age that anything can happen. Either a driver can take a calm approach and learn rally by rally and get better or go flat out, show some promising speed, crash a lot and lose confidence. The former can be said about Kruuda who has improved a lot. Is he as fast as Tänak? Maybe not, but considering his recent improvement I expect pretty great stuff from him next year. And about crashing and burning. Novikov was amazingly fast at times. However he lost a lot of confidence after all of these crashes. He's still very young though and if he can keep working towards better consistency then he can surprise us as well.

Tomi
21st November 2011, 10:22
Can not understand how it can be so difficult in Finland to get the necessary backing if you are not in the Timo Jouhki´s team. Rallying is still like a national sport in Finland, but if you do not have a rich manager it is almost impossible rise to the top.
I would not be too pessimistic, now when Jouhki has stopped looking for new drivers it leaves space for others.
Kimi Vatanen for instance seem to have what it takes, it just take some time to build a good network of sponsors that are ready to give the cash when needed, Ogier I dont think bring much money yet.

leighton323
13th December 2011, 10:22
Hello first time post guys :)
Their are four drivers that are destined for stardom
Ott Tanak, Craig Breen, Thierry Neuville and Hayden Paddon.

Tanak is easily the quickest there with Paddon being the most consistent.
Paddon I reckon would fit well being the number two driver at VW (not being a bias kiwi!) as he is a very consistent and reliable driver and has proven to be able to test and develop a car given time. Not sure whether he has been able to prove himself though. Breen and Neuville are still developing but should be at the pointy end of the WRC field I a few years (I hope!) Any thoughts??

Hartusvuori
13th December 2011, 10:37
^ Welcome! Or welcome as a contributing member as I see you've joined quite a while ago already.

Even if Paddon is PWRC champ and proofed quick in trad. N4 car, I'd hope and need to see him S2000 before talk about him fitting for VW number 2. VW seat should go for someone with reasonably more experience on all surfaces. Paddon for sure needs more experience, but I surely hope he would get chances to pull through a proper career.

Tänak has been discussed elsewhere. Stunnigly fast. Breen needs more time to gripe, but 2011 was as it should've been, a good progress for him. Perhaps next season we'll see some results too. Neuville is few years ahead of Breen, actually so far ahead they shouldn't be compared yet. Neuville is progressing in giant steps, and should get more WRC runs though I would hate to see him leave IRC.

But you forgot one certain Norwegian...

rp
13th December 2011, 10:41
That certain Norwegian is Volkswagen´s second or third driver and there is already one French and maybe also one Finn and one German, so no places anymore...

mm1
13th December 2011, 10:43
+1 about the Norvegian :)

leighton323
13th December 2011, 10:47
Yes of course mikkelsen, I first remember him as a 18 year old (correct me if I'm wrong) at wales GB in the Ford Focus after that spectaular crash. Also are Neuville's gravel skills up to scratch? Sorry being from NZ we don't hear much about the IRC other than the Internet and iRally, seems to be why I forgot about Mikkelson as well.

mm1
13th December 2011, 11:08
See Neuville on Golden stage in Cyprus regarding gravel. Of course it`s just one stage, but still you can make some conclusions out of it.

I am evil Homer
13th December 2011, 11:41
Neuville is still learning gravel and is behind some others in this respect but IMO he has the natural talent to learn how to drive on the loose stuff...like a certain Frenchman did!

A.F.F.
12th January 2012, 21:50
Who is this Neuville ??

mousti
12th January 2012, 21:55
U serious? Or just joking..

N.O.T
12th January 2012, 21:59
Who is this Neuville ??

he is good of course and very young and can easily reach the top level... but people give him WAY too much credit for his achievements...

A.F.F.
12th January 2012, 22:05
Very serious Mousti, I haven't been following this forum nor rallynews for a while now.

So he is good, young, fast and talented.... and French? Great ... another one :mark:

:p :

mousti
12th January 2012, 22:07
Not French, that's even not his motherlanguage ^^ German that's he's mother language!

He's sharing my flag :D .

check a Youtube video out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3dj13W7dSk

And about that credit, probably because he won Corsica and San Remo two rallies who always rings a bell to great memories. For u it got driven on a lower level now, true but still he won two legendary rallies.

A.F.F.
12th January 2012, 22:16
I took the liberty of checking other clips too and I like his style already :up:

So, he is a Belgian. How old is he?

Barreis
12th January 2012, 22:26
Doubt that he's quick as Mikkelsen on gravel. But Mikkelsen won IRC on unfair regulations.

A.F.F.
12th January 2012, 22:30
23 years old now. He drove his first real season in 2008 with Ford Fiesta Trophy in Belgium. Then he drove C2 Trophy in 2009, while also driving Ypres with BFG 207 S2000 (was very fast but crashed) + winning Citroën Trophy in terre de Langres (his first gravel event) and driving in Catalunya with C2Max. In 2010 he did JWRC and IRC, he proved he had the speed but made to many mistakes. Then he had a codriver switch, and since he's driving with Nicolas Gilsoul he's making less mistakes. Last year he drove the complete IRC and he was very fast (let's say he's as fast as Mikkelsen), now another step up... I've been watching him since his first rally in 2008 and he always looked promising... I hope he gets to the WRC top, he deserves it, he's extremely motivated and a nice guy.

Thanks for the info :up:

Viking
13th January 2012, 09:28
Doubt that he's quick as Mikkelsen on gravel. But Mikkelsen won IRC on unfair regulations.

About Mikkelsen I agree, the best driver over the season should be champion, and in fact it was Kopecky...
About Neuville his speed on gravel, it's normal that he's slower than Mikkelsen. Neuville drove 7 rallies on gravel in his carreer (FRterre de Langres '09, WRC Turkey '10, WRC Portugal '10, IRC Sardinia '10, IRC Scotland '10, IRC Scotland '11, IRC Cyprus '11). Mikkelsen started his career on gravel, and don't forget he was driving with a WR-car in 2006 already... His age is also young but Mikkelsen is much more experienced.

Well it is time to start whining about IRC regulations again 2012 regs (http://www.ircseries.com/html/readnews.asp?id=3370) are just out.
Then you have something else to whine about than who won following last years rules.

And please tell the other drivers also about the rules so it don’t come as an surprise to them at the end of the season…

Wim_Impreza
13th January 2012, 09:34

Agree.

In the 2012 IRC regulations they made again two big mistakes: double points for Cyprus and cars like the Impreza R4 and the Lancer Evo R4 can be Production champion.

Mirek
13th January 2012, 10:49
I don't see any problem with that.

Is ice hockey or football world championship unfair? Noone cares if You won base group when You fail in just one quarter final...

Nothing like a God-given best championship scheme exists. When rules are different it doesn't automatically mean they are worse.

bluuford
13th January 2012, 11:54
Agree.

In the 2012 IRC regulations they made again two big mistakes: double points for Cyprus and cars like the Impreza R4 and the Lancer Evo R4 can be Production champion.

Well, one more rally minimizes the effect of double points a little. Last year it was 7 best results. This year it is 8. The value of Cyprus was 25% last year, this year it will be 22%. Basically you got 1/4 points from Cyprus, this year it is bit over 1/5

Barreis
13th January 2012, 13:33
We should ask Kopecky how he feels about that. :D

Co-driven
13th January 2012, 15:22
I don`t think it was unfair. Since the beginning of the year they knew about this...

I`d say it was unfair if the rules were changed two weeks before the rally.

Mirek
13th January 2012, 18:49
We should ask Kopecky how he feels about that. :D

I have no reason to write anything against Kopecký. Pavel Dresler is my friend. Everytime I wish him all the best but it doesn't make my thinking biased. There were rules, the one who made most of them won. Simple and clear.

wwbroe
14th January 2012, 06:42
I have no reason to write anything against Kopecký. Pavel Dresler is my friend. Everytime I wish him all the best but it doesn't make my thinking biased. There were rules, the one who made most of them won. Simple and clear.

I think that says it all, the rules were clear since the beginning of the season, so every driver knew about it. No meaning in whining about those rules, they are just the way they are, simple as that; :D
By the way, i wish all the best to Jan and Pavel this coming season, wich they started allready great by taking overall victory in Jaenner Rally. ;)

A.F.F.
27th January 2012, 21:44
PMM already mantioned Esapekka Lappi ( Esapekka Lappi : Tervetuloa Esapekka Lapin kotisivuille (http://www.esapekkalappi.fi/) )but his guy is phenomenal !! I'm very interested to see how he will proceed :up:

OldF
27th January 2012, 22:12
I would like to see him in a SWRC/IRC tarmac rally to see how his speed is compared the other SWRC/IRC top drivers on tarmac.

A.F.F.
27th January 2012, 22:34
Yes, me too. On snow and gravel it seems very good. The reason I'm so excited about him is that I heard about him just recently.

NikoP
28th January 2012, 10:12
I would like to see him in a SWRC/IRC tarmac rally to see how his speed is compared the other SWRC/IRC top drivers on tarmac.

Esapekka said in Savon Sanomat earlier this week that he will drive one IRC tarmac rally this season.

He also said that if his co-operation with Even Rally continues, he will do IRC next year.

A.F.F.
28th January 2012, 10:24
Esapekka said in Savon Sanomat earlier this week that he will drive one IRC tarmac rally this season.

He also said that if his co-operation with Even Rally continues, he will do IRC next year.

That is great news.

mousti
28th January 2012, 14:35
And won today the Artic Rally in front of Juha Salo.

noel157
28th January 2012, 16:15
Lappi seems to be an exciting prospect from I've seen, does he have good backing to go further?

Barreis
28th January 2012, 16:23
No young guns at the moment.

Juha_Koo
28th January 2012, 17:10
Lappi seems to be an exciting prospect from I've seen, does he have good backing to go further?

I'd say better than average backing. I'm sure Veiby isn't disappointed, two S2000 starts, two wins...

Rallyper
28th January 2012, 19:56
Today the swedish Pontus Tidemand won swedish national championship rally. He beat Mats Jonsson on the penultimate last stage with 19 secs and took a win of 1,5 secs with his ex Mikkelsen Skoda S2000. He did a very good performance as you all can understand, having only one time recce and own pace notes. I´m longing to see him in WRC in the future.

Allar
29th January 2012, 21:27
Who is backing Lappi anyway? Sprint-sport? What about Korhonen? Can he be something big aswell?
Last year in Saaremaa he was ahead of Lappi before he crashed. It was 1st start on 4wd for both of them?

SubaruNorway
29th January 2012, 21:36
Who is backing Lappi anyway? Sprint-sport? What about Korhonen? Can he be something big aswell?
Last year in Saaremaa he was ahead of Lappi before he crashed. It was 1st start on 4wd for both of them?

Lappi is backed by Even Rally, same as Mikkelsen and Tidemand. EVEN Rally (http://evenrally.no/)