PDA

View Full Version : John Andretti

Alfa Fan
9th May 2008, 18:16
John Andretti was just interviewed on the Indy 500 video feed and he said he'd probabily be out next week. Panther Racing again? Or somewhere else?

16&Gtown
9th May 2008, 23:34
John Andretti was just interviewed on the Indy 500 video feed and he said he'd probabily be out next week. Panther Racing again? Or somewhere else?

he said hopefully not probably...

MykeBailey
10th May 2008, 14:55
according to live timing on indycar.com he is in the pits in the 24 car right now

Alfa Fan
10th May 2008, 15:05
according to live timing on indycar.com he is in the pits in the 24 car right now

John Andretti in for Jay Howard

Chamoo
10th May 2008, 15:38
John Andretti in for Jay Howard

Why? Thought Marty was Jay's biggest fan, or is Jay outqualifying him too much?

Alfa Fan
10th May 2008, 16:04
Jay Howard opted out of doing Indy this year due to the lack of practice due to rain. He'll return at Milwaukee. Does seem kind of strange, but I can't think why Marty would deliberately keep Jay out of Indy.

millencolin
10th May 2008, 23:54
I would of thought Marty would step aside for Andretti, not kick out Jay Howard. Shows the caliber of Roth, him first, stuff the others.

Alfa Fan
11th May 2008, 01:11
I would of thought Marty would step aside for Andretti, not kick out Jay Howard. Shows the caliber of Roth, him first, stuff the others.

Well the official line is Howard and the team decided it was best that they put someone in the car with more experience, given how little running Jay had got in. Roth on the otherhand does have Indy experience.

DrDomm
11th May 2008, 03:50
This is just laughable. I'm not an IRL fan, but I thought Jay Howard was supposed to be a decent prospect. He gets canned, while his under-skilled owner keeps driving, and an old washed up NASCAR driver gets touted as an Indy 500 veteran. Shame.

Vegasguy
11th May 2008, 06:17
This is just laughable. I'm not an IRL fan, but I thought Jay Howard was supposed to be a decent prospect. He gets canned, while his under-skilled owner keeps driving, and an old washed up NASCAR driver gets touted as an Indy 500 veteran. Shame.

Key word.... owner! It's his team that was started for him.

Andretti is hardly a washed up Nascar Driver.... he started in open wheel and has always had ties here. IS he the best? No, but from what I saw he had the car moving pretty good, after just 8 laps he was over 220. Howard had over a 100 and with a best of around 218. (best that I can find)

Sometimes its not a matter of how good the young prospect is, its about growing and improving the team. Look at how good Almindinger was in Champ car and how much he struggled in NASCAR, then they brought in an experienced driver for a few races and the whole team is now doing better. Not great but better.

Ranger
11th May 2008, 11:07
I don't know how John Andretti got the ride. Should've put PT in there! :D

millencolin
11th May 2008, 11:11

Neither do I, but hey, anyone who wins at Surfers Paradise has my respect (including Bourdais, even after the 'Power' incident), and John won the very first race there. So good luck to him.

stmookeyj
11th May 2008, 11:57
There's got to be more than just a simple "Lack of Experience" behind it.

indy88
12th May 2008, 03:15
Simple explanation, Andretti has Camping World sponsorship dollars.

!!WALDO!!
12th May 2008, 03:30
Simple explanation, Andretti has Camping World sponsorship dollars.

The simplest explanation is the best.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

Phoenixent
12th May 2008, 04:43
Neither do I, but hey, anyone who wins at Surfers Paradise has my respect (including Bourdais, even after the 'Power' incident), and John won the very first race there. So good luck to him.

Does that include Mario Dominguez? :)

millencolin
12th May 2008, 06:35
Does that include Mario Dominguez? :)

Somehow... Yes... But he has won on merit before as well as scoring 2 more podium finishes at Surfers. So yes, respect earned :p :

Phoenixent
12th May 2008, 07:02
Somehow... Yes... But he has won on merit before as well as scoring 2 more podium finishes at Surfers. So yes, respect earned :p :

:up:

dataman1
12th May 2008, 20:17

Simple answer here mate. IMO John had money and Paul wants to be paid.

BobGarage
12th May 2008, 20:26
Simple answer here mate. IMO John had money and Paul wants to be paid.

theres also the fact that John was walking round pit lane begging for a ride and PT was no where to be seen.

Look at servia filling in at Forsythe last year. he got the ride because he was there, in the right place at the right time. If PT wants a ride - paid, free or paying - his best bet in to whore himself up and down pit lane. he's not there so he obviously doesn't want it that much.