PDA

View Full Version : Codemasters get official F1 game...

AndyRAC
9th May 2008, 08:18
Not sure about this, going on recent experience, they'll surely add gimmicks to liven it up.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67228

Thought Sony did a good job...

ArrowsFA1
9th May 2008, 08:24
Race Driver GRID may give us an idea of what to expect, but Codemasters have generally done a pretty good job on racing games, and the best thing is the new game will be available on all formats/consoles. Finally.

AndyRAC
9th May 2008, 08:32
Their early racing/rallying games were fantastic, however recently they've gone off the boil. I mean, in the latest game the Le Mans 24 hours is included, but no pit stops are allowed, what's that all about??
As it's the official F1 game - I'm sure they'll really pull out the stops.

I am evil Homer
9th May 2008, 08:42
It will be hard to mess it up TBH....Codies has done a much better job on track modelling recently and designing a game for the PS3 should be good. Plus it's the official F1 game and whoever's donbe it it's followed a similar style:

Training section
World Championship
Career mode.

You can't suddenly introduce drag racing or drifting comps into it as well!!!!! It better include decent replays...that was one area Sony messed about with too much and some decent commentary not the same repetitive soundbites we got in the Sony games.

UKOG~Will
9th May 2008, 12:53
Hopefully it won't have the arcadey feel of GRID.

johnny shell
9th May 2008, 13:04
I hope we get to drift a McLaren around Monoco. that would be sweet.

UKOG~Will
9th May 2008, 13:15
Hope I can crash a Ferrari into the sea at Monaco now that WOULD be sweet

elinagr
9th May 2008, 13:27
whats that money for? they could not be better than rfactor mods and addons, me and my brother play and update every week all the necessary news from f1, directly and play like the real sport it is today,
unfortunately this big companies need years to develop, and i am not sure if they can come up wth a proper and good game.. the best they could do is buy the updates from the worldwide mods and merge them in their game, so all consoles can have updates somehow through the internet and be updated

thats just my opinion

Brown, Jon Brow
9th May 2008, 14:02
Not sure about this, going on recent experience, they'll surely add gimmicks to liven it up.

The shark team challenge perhaps? You don't actually get to drive the real F1 cars but you get to drive the Shark Grand Prix car against your teammate, who is a guy called Ted Flanders. But as the story unfolds in turns out that he isn't Ted Flanders at all. He's racing under a fake name because he killed your dad in his early career.

At the end of the season you, Ted Flanders, Lewis Hamilton and Kimi all end up on the same points, so in order to decide the championship you all have a shoot-out race in Monster Trucks on the Brands Hatch rallycross circuit!

:erm:

johnny shell
9th May 2008, 14:12
I think that you should be able to use your winnings to buy some time with some of max's girls.

minus the whips of course.

ChrisS
9th May 2008, 15:41
I hope they make the PC version easily editable, thats what kept the F1CC going for so many years.

They probably wont though as they will want to make players buy a new game to get a new season.

woody2goody
11th May 2008, 01:43
I really hope this is a good one. Hopefully the new regulations will work in real life and as a result the game will be more exciting.

It's annoying in a way because the Sony games only needed better AI and a few tweaks and they would have been immense in the future. F1 CE is still a fantastic game that I will play until '09 comes out.

I hope Codemasters don't make it arcadey like GRID or even parts of TOCA 3.

They need a great handling model that's fun to drive, good AI that can overtake and defend intelligently (TOCA was OK for this), a few more drivers (testers) a better structured career mode and unlockables.

I would like to see a rewards system that unlocks items for, first Q2 appearance, first Q1 appearance, first pole, first finish, first points, first win, etc.

Some changes in the game screen I would like to see:

A proper speedometer - I liked the TV style rev counter/speedo, but you never really knew how fast you were going, and thus never really knew how setup changes were helping corner speeds/straightline speeds.

Qualifying timer - I would like to see a proper quali clock when you are on you flying laps, with, depending on your position, the gap to 1st place/15th/10th, wherever you need to qualify, not just your own sector times.

Design a helmet would be amazing, also some kind of goal system in career mode.

For example, before a Grand Prix, you will get a list of objectives from the team, primary, secondary and a third goal. They would go something like this:

Scuderia Toro Rosso - Turkish Grand Prix objectives:

1. Finish the Grand Prix in the Top 12

2. Outqualify Sebastian Vettel

3. Set a Top 10 fastest race lap

You would get points for completing certain goals, or a reputation boost.

These points would go with your overall results to paint a picture of your performance.

You could go through an entire season, complete 90% of your goals, but fail to finish a single race. If you DNF'd due to failures it wouldn't affect your chances of a better seat next season, but if you crashed out of all the races the team wouldn't be impressed.

I didn't like the fact that the Sony game based your career prospects solely on results.

xtlm
11th May 2008, 11:28
well, they made an awesome IRL game so...why not make an awesome F1 game

pino
11th May 2008, 11:31
After Dirt and now Grid...I don't trust Codemasters anymore :(

UKOG~Will
11th May 2008, 12:28
DiRT is good. I don't know why people don't like it because of the handling. The handling is good because it's supposed to be slippy, you're rallying at 100mph on mud/gravel etc

GRID is pants. The same handling engine used on a entirely different race type, doesn't work. Far from a racing sim.

AndyRAC
11th May 2008, 18:20
After Dirt and now Grid...I don't trust Codemasters anymore :(

Quite agree, and also the Brian Lara 2007 game - that was a bit of a disappoinment as well.
If they were to go back to the standard of the early TOCA and Colin McRae games then there is hope.

jso1985
11th May 2008, 21:02
I have mixed feelings with Codemasters.

They have done great and awful games racing IMO.
The early Colin McRae games were great, the later ones weren't that good.
The TOCA series were in general lines great, until they screwed it up with the stupid AI in Race driver 3
Their IndyCar Series game was awesome, kinda too hard but still great.
While GRID is crap.

so basically seems like they have been doing bad games lately... let's hope they can get back on track and make decent games again

PuddleJumper
12th May 2008, 13:38
So long as Codies (and others) are producing software to appeal to mass market, pick-up-and-play gamers, they'll never be of the quality, in terms of driving experience, that true sim-lovers desire. The attention span of many young individuals these days is such that if they can't master a game in 5 minutes flat, it ends up in the second hand bin at their local game store and the following year they don't bother buying the new, updated game. For a business that spells disaster, hence the proliferation of easy, and ultimately boring and non-immersive racing games these past few years.

It's not their fault, but it's a real shame.

jslone
13th May 2008, 05:36
I just want an F1 game for the 360 that would be sweet.

elinagr
14th May 2008, 20:11
sweet? try to add sugar :p

Daniel
8th June 2008, 22:12
Well at least it won't be a PS3 exclusive anymore. I think that's good enough news.

wedge
11th June 2008, 13:06
Come back Geoff Crammond!

306 Cosworth
11th June 2008, 19:34
DiRT is good. I don't know why people don't like it because of the handling. The handling is good because it's supposed to be slippy, you're rallying at 100mph on mud/gravel etc

GRID is pants. The same handling engine used on a entirely different race type, doesn't work. Far from a racing sim.

It's not slippy though, the car just floats/glides around it's ridiculous, looks even worse when you see a replay!