PDA

View Full Version : Penske Announcement Tomorrow

Chamoo
8th May 2008, 21:06
Team Penske will conduct a press conference at 10:30 a.m. Friday on the fourth floor of the Media Center. Penske Corporation Founder and Chairman Roger Penske, Penske Racing President Tim Cindric, Penske Racing advisor Rick Mears, and Penske drivers Helio Castroneves and Ryan Briscoe will participate.

From the indycar.com trackside reports.

Wonder what it will be about? Either announcing a driver for the #77 or announcing the #77 will not run?

JasonD
8th May 2008, 21:19
From the indycar.com trackside reports.

Wonder what it will be about? Either announcing a driver for the #77 or announcing the #77 will not run?

More likely who is going to be driving. Why hold a press conference to say theyre withdrawing a car.

shazbot
8th May 2008, 23:54
PT back in the fold........

NickFalzone
9th May 2008, 00:08
There's 36 or 37 drivers set to qualify, with 2-3 cars "open". Currently at the track looking for one of those spots:

Jaques Lazier, Alex Barron, Roger Yasukawa, John Andretti, Richie Hearn. Some talented drivers who would likely make the 33 even with 39-40 qualifying.

I heard some fans annoyed that Tracy isn't hustling a ride at IMS, but maybe that's cause he's already got it in the bag.

Vegasguy
9th May 2008, 02:54
PT back in the fold........

One can only hope... if so he would be winging his way there now.

nickfalzone said - I heard some fans annoyed that Tracy isn't hustling a ride at IMS, but maybe that's cause he's already got it in the bag.

Count me in as one of the ones that are annoyed that he's not there working for a ride. We all know that hes a good driver and I'm sure he doesn't think he needs to hustle for a ride but didn't Al Sr hustle for a ride and then end up winning his 4th 500?

SOD
9th May 2008, 03:08
Sam Hornish

PjgIndy500
9th May 2008, 03:45
Lets hope it is Tracy. That would really add to the drama. But wouldn't Walker annouce a presser too if he was a part of the tracy deal?

Chamoo
9th May 2008, 04:04
Sam Hornish

Sam Hornish already said he won't be going to Indy this year.

Vegasguy
9th May 2008, 04:48
Lets hope it is Tracy. That would really add to the drama. But wouldn't Walker annouce a presser too if he was a part of the tracy deal?

"IF" Penske was going to make an announcement regarding Tracy.... Walker wouldn't have anything to say as he would be out of the loop at that point. Unless they decided to do a joint deal like the Rahal/Ganassi thing going for Alex.
But I really don't see that happening as Penske has a car and the resources to have a team in place.

"IF" they are announcing a driver for the car who is available? Remember, no rookies are allowed at this point.

Mad_Hatter
9th May 2008, 06:48
Gil de Ferran, the 2003 Indianapolis 500 champion, will return
to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway May 9 for the first time since 2004.

Motorsport.com (http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=288391&FS=INDYCAR)

...just sayin

Also this would be a good time to annouce a sponsor replacement.

Phoenixent
9th May 2008, 08:17
"IF" Penske was going to make an announcement regarding Tracy.... Walker wouldn't have anything to say as he would be out of the loop at that point. Unless they decided to do a joint deal like the Rahal/Ganassi thing going for Alex.
But I really don't see that happening as Penske has a car and the resources to have a team in place.

"IF" they are announcing a driver for the car who is available? Remember, no rookies are allowed at this point.

Walker Racing was to team up with Penske at the beginning of the season just like NHL and Rahal-Letterman so the would not be a stretch Penske handing over the 77 to Walker. Also Tracy would need a refresher to run again at Indy not a big deal on that.

I Hope it's Walker Racing with PT.

BenRoethig
9th May 2008, 15:45
10:30 EST or CST?

garyshell
9th May 2008, 16:13
Indy is EDT I believe. Central time starts a bit further west. Indiana at one time did not participate in DST so there was always confusion as to what time zone they were really in.

Gary

BenRoethig
9th May 2008, 16:20
Well, either way we should be hearing something within the next hour or so.

bblocker68
9th May 2008, 16:30
Yep. Crossing my fingers for PT.

Vegasguy
9th May 2008, 16:57
Anybody heard anything?

Chamoo
9th May 2008, 17:46

Well, PT is no rookie, and even if he was to be considered a rookie, I'm sure they'd figure out a way to get him in the field.

Alfa Fan
9th May 2008, 18:14
Did anything happen?

EDIT - They've just mentioned it on the video feed, and it doesn't appear to be anything interesting.

BenRoethig
9th May 2008, 18:42
Q&A session basically

weeflyonthewall
9th May 2008, 20:08
blah-blah-blah. No big announcements. No PT. Is he even at Indy this week?

seppefan
9th May 2008, 20:13
I have never watched the 500 before nor been aware of the incredible build up going on with the unusual rules. Seems to me that if PT arrived tomorrow he would be at a hell of a dissadvantage. Am i missng something ?

FormerFF
9th May 2008, 20:29
I have never watched the 500 before nor been aware of the incredible build up going on with the unusual rules. Seems to me that if PT arrived tomorrow he would be at a hell of a dissadvantage. Am i missng something ?

Nope, you're absolutely correct. Anyone who is not part of one of the regular teams is at a tremendous disadvantage.

Another problem is the parts shortage all the ex-Champcar teams are seeing. It would be difficult to gather up enough parts to make an effort for any but an established team.