PDA

View Full Version : 3 points for using your mobile while driving

Mark
22nd January 2007, 08:50
As from 27th Feb, it will be 3 points and a £60 fine.

Previously it was £30 fine and no points.

J4MIE
22nd January 2007, 09:32
So is it 3 or 6 ?

:p :

Mark
22nd January 2007, 09:39
3 if you use it once. Probably 6 if you call two people :p

CarlMetro
22nd January 2007, 10:58
I think that's an excellent move :up: I still see far too many people driving whilst talking on their mobiles. A simple hands-free kit costs less than £40 these days and the cost of bluetooth handsets and ear pieces have also come down rapidly over the past 12 months or so so people don't really have an excuse anymore.

touringlegend
22nd January 2007, 10:59
I see a worryingly large number of drivers still using a phone by holding it. Hopefully this might deter a larger number.

Donney
22nd January 2007, 11:37
It is a great idea it's been applied in Spain since June last year and it is working great, there are many people around who use it anyway.

Mark
22nd January 2007, 11:56
A simple hands-free kit costs less than £40 these days

And none of them fit Ford Fiestas.

Knock-on
22nd January 2007, 14:33
As from 27th Feb, it will be 3 points and a £60 fine.

Previously it was £30 fine and no points.

Ohhhh, I thought you had some tips of how to balance a phone on your shoulder, a MacDonalds on your lap and a Coke in your left hand.

They don't call me Clever Dick for nothing ;)

viper_man
22nd January 2007, 16:16
Everyone still uses phones whilst driving, and everyone always will.

Its impossible to police.

BDunnell
22nd January 2007, 17:31
I'm all in favour of this. I'm distracted from walking by using a mobile, let alone driving. Furthermore, you do see a lot of people failing to stop at red lights, or otherwise concentrating insufficiently, while driving with them clamped to their ear.

BDunnell
22nd January 2007, 17:35
Everyone still uses phones whilst driving, and everyone always will.

Its impossible to police.

No it isn't. Policeman sees person driving while talking on mobile; policeman pulls said driver over. Thus, that person has been 'policed'. Drivers should show more common sense than to do this.

viper_man
22nd January 2007, 17:41
I disagree.

Driver who uses phone regularly whilst driving looks out for police car, sees one coming, says 'hold on a sec' on phone, holds phone down out of sight, police car passes, phone call continues.

I drive every day and I see many many people using phones, I used to, and I never got caught. I got smart and now have a hands free kit which is what everyone should do.

But people will always use phones and on the whole not many will get caught.

BDunnell
22nd January 2007, 17:43
I disagree.

Driver who uses phone regularly whilst driving looks out for police car, sees one coming, says 'hold on a sec' on phone, holds phone down out of sight, police car passes, phone call continues.

I drive every day and I see many many people using phones, I used to, and I never got caught. I got smart and now have a hands free kit which is what everyone should do.

Fair comments. What it needs is a campaign like those for drink-driving to make it totally unacceptable.

viper_man
22nd January 2007, 17:47
Definately, it needs to be hard hitting.

At the mo its seen as a bit of a joke and a soft law, more security cameras on major roads could help, and the anyone caught using a phone could be fined though the post using their reg number on car.

Mind you could be an expensive job, perhaps they could use some of the money gained from speed cameras? :p

BeansBeansBeans
22nd January 2007, 18:35
Interesting points Viper & Ben.

I have to admit that I occasionally use my mobile whilst driving, and I think this is partly down to an arrogant 'I'm a good driver, so I'll be okay' attitude and partly due to the fact that it is seen as a very 'soft' offence.

My Dad tells me that when he was my age in the 70s, drink driving was seen in a similarly 'soft' light, whereas now it's completey socially unacceptable. The same will probably be true of mobile-phone use in a few years.

schmenke
22nd January 2007, 19:00
Although no laws exist in this country I refrain from gabbering on the phone whilst driving simply because it's against my company policy :mark: The policy extends to spouses as well, which I must constantly remind the wife :mark:

CarlMetro
22nd January 2007, 19:52
And none of them fit Ford Fiestas.

Not true, you just need to use bigger nails :p :

luvracin
22nd January 2007, 20:59
GOOD. The number of times I've been cut off or nearly runoff the road, nearly t-boned in intersections, witnessed people run stop signs, etc by someone on their damn phone is frightening.

I read somewhere that a study was performed which showed that the people talking on a mobile(including hands free) showed a similar lack of attentiveness as those who are drunk.

Ian McC
22nd January 2007, 23:42
Well I am as guilty as most over this, it's very easy to think it will never happen to you.

It's amazing how many people still drink and drive, it's going to take a lot of effort to get people to sit up and take notice of this.

viper_man
23rd January 2007, 01:02
It seems someone has decided to be a man and anonymously negative rep me for the comments Ive made here which I thought were all pretty legit.

I still stand by them.

Hazell B
25th January 2007, 18:40
At the mo its seen as a bit of a joke and a soft law ...

Funny you should say that, I asked a police officer friend a few weeks ago about phones and driving and he said exactly the same thing. He had never bothered stopping anyone who was calling and driving simply because they'd been told it basically wasn't worth the hassle if often caused. Maybe the phone record being checked was almost as costly as the fine given, I don't know.

He did say they check in case of accidents though, and fine or charge as and when possible. I didn't point out that that was too late :mark:

Maybe now, with points being up for grabs, I'll see less people driving out of Goole at 40MPH + in the thirty limit, twittering on their phones and clipping the corners short while I drive toward them bracing for impact :s

But I doubt it.

Knock-on
26th January 2007, 17:10
I have to admit that I occasionally answer a phone when I'm driving and I have no excuse because my phone should automatically be picked up by the blue-tooth receiver in the stereo.

Very lapse of me and I will make an effort to change this over the weekend. The only problem I have is that I have 2 phones and they are both as likely to go off. Which one do I use?

However, if I minimise the problem then it's better than doing nothing at all.

One thing that I've really got to stop is writing short texts or emails when I'm driving. You can do it without taking your eyes off the road but it's not giving full attention.

How many people die each year because of someone being on the phone. I remember when the law came in a few years ago, it was 3 people in total and I suggested at the time that it would be better for the Govt to concentrate on careless or incompetent drivers as they kill hundreds.

BDunnell
29th January 2007, 13:35
How many people die each year because of someone being on the phone. I remember when the law came in a few years ago, it was 3 people in total and I suggested at the time that it would be better for the Govt to concentrate on careless or incompetent drivers as they kill hundreds.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect the police to 'concentrate' on both.

speedy king
5th February 2007, 01:21
I thought it had for about a year been an immediate ban? It should be in my eyes. People have got 3 points and a £60 fine for being parked on double yellows or by the side of the road where they shouldn't be....what's more serious?

I was driving out of town the other day and as i left the residential part i saw a Ford KA in the middle of the road all over the place, looked in and sure enough, young girl, mobile phone on the steering wheel texting away as she turned in to a housing estate, she must have been a matter of seconds if not minutes away from where she was going entering the estate, can't it wait :rolleyes:

speedy king
5th February 2007, 01:24
I disagree.

Police can and WILL trace your call records to prosecute in the event of an accident or a Jobsworth officer. You will not win if you are seen by a police officer who decides to act or indeed you cause an accident.

agwiii
5th February 2007, 01:35
As from 27th Feb, it will be 3 points and a £60 fine. Previously it was £30 fine and no points.

There are no such requirements here. In Miami/Dade, they are more concerned about the unlicensed and uninsured drivers than the use of cell phones. In Palm Beach County, stopping the use of cell phones would bring the entire county's economy to a halt, and cause massive starvation in Boca Raton. :s mokin:

Erki
5th February 2007, 05:31
So, if it's three points for using your mobile while driving, how many points is it if I use someone else's mobile?

speedy king
5th February 2007, 12:22
There, my son, you may have a very good get out clause in Britains stupid law system...

Iain
8th February 2007, 15:50
How many points do you get for driving touring car while filming on your mobile? :p :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkst7GnObOE

Dave B
27th February 2007, 18:13
This has come into effect from today - worth remembering that as well as being dangerous, driving with a mobile is now also potentially expensive.

BDunnell
27th February 2007, 19:35
I saw someone at lunchtime demonstrating why so many motorists find it difficult to do more than one thing at the same time - in this case, phone and use his brain. He had stopped to take/make a call, but did so in such a stupid place that the traffic backed up behind him and ended up using their horns to get him to move. Brilliant!

Res Ipsa Loquitur
27th February 2007, 22:34
:monster: A £60 fine eh? You want to go to the Isle of Man. Get caught using a mobile while driving and it's a £1,000 fine. :eek: :bigcry:

Alexamateo
27th February 2007, 23:35
There are no such requirements here. In Miami/Dade, they are more concerned about the unlicensed and uninsured drivers than the use of cell phones. In Palm Beach County, stopping the use of cell phones would bring the entire county's economy to a halt, and cause massive starvation in Boca Raton. :s mokin:

Same for me, I'm a sales rep and if I didn't talk on the phone while driving, I'd never get anywhere or get any work done. But I use my head, I'll only enter the number I want to call stopped at a traffic light or driving an open stretch of road with no traffic. The only thing I do that I don't like is take notes and write down orders. If I need to write, I really have to pull over or call back later. For me, talking on the phone is no different than talking to someone in the passenger seat. I know some will claim that it's not the same, but for me it's no big deal. PS all hands free of course.

LotusElise
28th February 2007, 09:19
As I've mentioned before, being in the car is a handy excuse NOT to answer the phone for me.
Whatever did businesses do before the invention of the mobile phone? :rolleyes:

BDunnell
28th February 2007, 09:22
As I've mentioned before, being in the car is a handy excuse NOT to answer the phone for me.
Whatever did businesses do before the invention of the mobile phone? :rolleyes:

:up:

I believe they functioned using carrier pigeons and semaphore.

Dave B
28th February 2007, 10:26
For me, talking on the phone is no different than talking to someone in the passenger seat. I know some will claim that it's not the same, but for me it's no big deal. PS all hands free of course.

Several respected studies would disagree with you. Part of the reason is that a passenger in the car will be at least partially aware of what you're doing - if you come up to a junction for example they'll pause while you look for traffic.

Somebody on the end of a mobile won't have that ability. They'll keep talking, and you'll keep listening, even while you're executing potentially hazardous moves.

I'm not saying you're dangerous, but you shouldn't underestimate the effect using your mobile could have on your driving.

:)

BDunnell
28th February 2007, 13:11
Yes, I don't think I've ever seen a car jumping a red light because the driver was talking to a passenger, but I've seen it happen when the driver is using a mobile (both hands-free and hand-held) on numerous occasions.

People saying that they can drive just as well while on the 'phone somehow reminds me rather too much of those who reckon that they drive better when they've drunk alcohol.

Brown, Jon Brow
28th February 2007, 14:10
Yes, I don't think I've ever seen a car jumping a red light because the driver was talking to a passenger, but I've seen it happen when the driver is using a mobile (both hands-free and hand-held) on numerous occasions.

People saying that they can drive just as well while on the 'phone somehow reminds me rather too much of those who reckon that they drive better when they've drunk alcohol.

What.... alcohol doesn't improve driving ability. :eek:

I can't see that hands free phones are much safer than normal ones.

Face it, how many of you actually drive with two hands on the wheel.

Hazell B
28th February 2007, 14:10
Having driven over to Cheshire yesterday, I can say the new laws aren't working at all from what we saw.

We had an in-car competition for who spotted the most drivers using a phone. I lost count at ten in the first hour and a half :mark:

LotusElise
28th February 2007, 14:11
Jon - I do, unless I'm changing gear.

Hazell B
28th February 2007, 14:31
Me too, but I'm in large hulking vehicle that demands both hands on the wheel.

Dave B
28th February 2007, 15:33
Yes, I don't think I've ever seen a car jumping a red light because the driver was talking to a passenger, but I've seen it happen when the driver is using a mobile...

I've just seen an old dear drive (at a constant 22mph) straight through a red light at a new pedestrian crossing - narrowly missing two people :eek:

When I caught up with her down the road she was still plodding along at 22mph, barely able to see over the steering wheel.

Nothing to do with mobiles, I just thought I'd tell you :dozey:

Alexamateo
28th February 2007, 17:40
Several respected studies would disagree with you. Part of the reason is that a passenger in the car will be at least partially aware of what you're doing - if you come up to a junction for example they'll pause while you look for traffic.

Somebody on the end of a mobile won't have that ability. They'll keep talking, and you'll keep listening, even while you're executing potentially hazardous moves.

I'm not saying you're dangerous, but you shouldn't underestimate the effect using your mobile could have on your driving.

:)

Thanks Dave,

I recall a study done here where cameras were installed in cars and drivers were followed for months. (Sorry, no links, I am going from memory) The most dangerous driver distraction was drivers bending and reaching (pick up a dropped cd or tape, sunglasses, the piece of paper with your grocery list or directions etc.), the next was having a toddler or baby in the car, and in a tie for third was talking on cell phones, eating/drinking, and changing cd's/tapes/fiddling with radio. This was a study done with no preconcieved notions of what the outcome would be. My own experiences bear this out. I believe folks with an agenda always want to make laws where none should be.

Don't get me wrong, if someone has an at fault accident, they should be held responsible, but I don't see anyone trying to ban eating and drinking in cars or ban the driver from changing cd's or listening to books on tape or music. Either ban it all or ban none of it.

LotusElise
28th February 2007, 21:55
I do agree that fiddling with radios is also dangerous. Many cars, including mine, now have the stereo controls on the stalk or next to the steering wheel, so this is less of a problem.
However, changing the station or picking up something off the floor is a momentary distraction. A phone call is a continuing distraction.
It is also possible here to be prosecuted for dangerous driving if you're eating at the wheel and not fully in control. A woman last year kicked up a fuss after being fined for eating an apple as she drove. IIRC, the police had pulled her over for driving erratically.

BDunnell
1st March 2007, 11:24
I've just seen an old dear drive (at a constant 22mph) straight through a red light at a new pedestrian crossing - narrowly missing two people :eek:

When I caught up with her down the road she was still plodding along at 22mph, barely able to see over the steering wheel.

Nothing to do with mobiles, I just thought I'd tell you :dozey:

I have long been surprised that the police don't clamp down more on people who can barely see over the steering wheel. I know it's funny, but it's also dangerous.

Mark
1st March 2007, 11:26
The one semi-serious crash I had was due to inattention, basically I was sitting in traffic, bored, and was fiddling with the radio, and drifted into the back of the car in front.

Iain
1st March 2007, 13:53
I have long been surprised that the police don't clamp down more on people who can barely see over the steering wheel. I know it's funny, but it's also dangerous.

There's a middle aged woman who visits my next door neighbour and drives one of those tiny Citroen C1s. She has the seat as far forward as it can go, the backrest upright and sits on a cushion. She still struggles to see over the wheel! I've seen her trying to park it at the side of the road, her 6 month old wheel trims are all scraped and broken.

Hazell B
1st March 2007, 23:15
Iain, I drive with the seat as far forward as possible and have a sheepskin to sit on, but as I've a perfectly clean licence and can reverse park to within an inch of other cars I guess you're going to say I'm the exception that proves the rule?

Short people can make superb drivers, thank you very much.
I'd say age has more to do with Dave's story ;)

Iain
2nd March 2007, 00:25
I was talking about this one person in particular, I wasn't generalising short drivers at all.

LotusElise
2nd March 2007, 14:53
Iain, I drive with the seat as far forward as possible and have a sheepskin to sit on, but as I've a perfectly clean licence and can reverse park to within an inch of other cars I guess you're going to say I'm the exception that proves the rule?

Short people can make superb drivers, thank you very much.
I'd say age has more to do with Dave's story ;)

I have to have my seat forward so I can see, as I'm only 5'2". I would be a worse driver if I had the seat any further back, because my vision would be obstructed and my grip on the pedals wouldn't be particularly strong.

schmenke
2nd March 2007, 15:05
Why don't you try tying some wooden blocks to your feet?

jim mcglinchey
7th March 2007, 10:14
Has anyone had a text message saying that they were seen using the mobile while driving, and threatening court action. Is it a scam?

janneppi
7th March 2007, 10:19
How can it not be a scam? :)

jim mcglinchey
7th March 2007, 13:20
Well, I know someone stoopid enough to phone the number. I wonder how much it cost him ( It wasn't me, by the way ).

Dave B
7th March 2007, 16:56
I got a text from the Home Office saying I'd overstayed my visa :s :p