PDA

View Full Version : McLaren wheel failure identified

Knock-on
8th May 2008, 13:15
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67211

Wow!!

Pretty fundemental f*ck-up that could easily have cost a driver his life.

McLaren are usually very hot on testing and compliance so how the hell did something this basic slip through. Hope they sort their QA process out quick.

janneppi
8th May 2008, 13:30
I might have to go now and check that there isn't a microscopic layer of dust on the wheel nut surfaces on my rims.Can't have my Honduras plough into a ditch. :p :

JSH
8th May 2008, 13:40

Wow!!

McLaren are usually very hot on testing and compliance so how the hell did something this basic slip through. Hope they sort their QA process out quick.

Wow!! You're pretty harsh.

You'd be surprised how many highly regarded multinational companies also have the odd manufacturing fault that in hindsight could be classified by your elegant description of "Pretty fundamental f*ck-up".

And before anyone lectures on "but this was life threatening...", the laws of statistics and chaos don't differentiate between a headlight switch breaking or an F1 wheel failing.

Everyone makes mistakes. Whats important is that they learn from it. If it happens again, I'll join you in calling it a pretty fundamental.......etc...

Powered by Cosworth
8th May 2008, 14:04
Everyone makes mistakes. Whats important is that they learn from it. If it happens again, I'll join you in calling it a pretty fundamental.......etc...

Amen to that.

wedge
8th May 2008, 14:16
**it happens.

Nothing in life is 100% perfect.

Just make sure you learn from your mistakes so you don't repeat it again.

I am evil Homer
8th May 2008, 14:55

Wow!!

Wow! Did you actually read the article. Macs "wheel supplier" was the one at fault here not the team, they manufactured and provided the wheels. For all the QA processes any team would have I doubt any of them would have picked up it had a clear lacquer coat on the wheel which shouldn't have been there.

Azumanga Davo
8th May 2008, 15:48
Wow!! You're pretty harsh.

You'd be surprised how many highly regarded multinational companies also have the odd manufacturing fault that in hindsight could be classified by your elegant description of "Pretty fundamental f*ck-up".

And before anyone lectures on "but this was life threatening...", the laws of statistics and chaos don't differentiate between a headlight switch breaking or an F1 wheel failing.

If I had 5 cents for every time I made a mistake, I'd have $14.85... :D

Dave B
8th May 2008, 16:31
I'd have 15 cents :p

Seriously, it's definately a "cock up" but come on, McLaren's quality control will be right up there with the best. Components fail on all manner of machinery, it's just that this particular failure caused a spectactular crash (though thankfully no serious injury).

Knock-on
8th May 2008, 17:13

Seriously, it's definately a "cock up" but come on, McLaren's quality control will be right up there with the best. Components fail on all manner of machinery, it's just that this particular failure caused a spectactular crash (though thankfully no serious injury).

McLaren are renown for their QA processes which is why I'm so surprised that this wasn't identified.

It was the wheel manufacturers mistake but should have been picked up before the wheels went into assembly at Chertsey.

Azumanga Davo
8th May 2008, 17:50

Does this mean I'm doing worse or better than you? :D Good money wise, but horrific for shaking off my Frank Spencer image. :s