PDA

View Full Version : What about Takuma Sato?

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 01:04
I'll kick start the discussion here with this: News of the team's demise was received in Japan today by protestors carrying Super Aguri flags gathering outside Honda's headquarters in Aoyama, demonstrating against the manufacturer's refusal to continue to support the outfit, and their hero Sato.

When he was pitted against Bunsen, he was just as fast at times, but Taku was no match for the much steadier Bunsen in races. As a result Taku tried things during races which he didn't during testing and practice, and the result in his second year's racing at Honda was disastrous. AS a result he was fired, to be replaced by WDC hopeful Rubens (the stone in SchM's shoe).

Taku's many Japanese fans didn't take kindly to this and so Honda formed a team specially for him. While this team, using spent arrows languished in the doldrums, Team Honda was happy. Taku had no team mate to beat, and as a result his driving matured.

Then came 2007, with the 2006 Honda car which was reasonably fast, and a team mate who was a friend and with whom he had nothing to prove. The two tested the car to make it so competitive that they no only regularly out qualified Team Honda's cars but also some others which were supposedly faster. The pinnacle came in Canada when both cars were doing better than just well but Taku scored valuable points while ant was on the way to fifth spot when he hit the groundhog. Team Honda was nowhere.

Taku had been a Honda man from his formative years, and has a huge following in Japan. Now that he has proved that he can drive sensibly and score points in a lessor car, the question remains how Honda is going to resolve this issue?

My prediction is for Taku to be brought back to Team Honda, no later than this year's Japan GP, as Honda simply cannot face demonstrators outside their headquarters, let alone during an F1 race broadcast all over the world.

CNR
8th May 2008, 03:26
What now for Takuma Sato ?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21848-What-now-for-Takuma-Sato-and-Antony-Davidson- (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21848-What-now-for-Takuma-Sato-and-Antony-Davidson)

millencolin
8th May 2008, 03:28
Hopefully takuma finds a ride in f1... It would be extra ironic if he could find a Toyota-powered ride :p :

if not... Indycar? who knows

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 04:04
What now for Takuma Sato ?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21848-What-now-for-Takuma-Sato-and-Antony-Davidson- (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21848-What-now-for-Takuma-Sato-and-Antony-Davidson)

As much as I would like to believe this article, it appears that the writer is making up possibilities just as we all have been. The one mistake there is Naka - he comes with the engine and Frank is not going to muck that up, no matter who is available. He couldn't even contemplate Hamilton even if he had the chance tomorrow. His cars wouldn't make turn 1 without the Toyota donk.

My guess, for what it's worth (and I had already mentioned this above) is that Rubens will take early retirement and allow Taku into the team. And ant will be asked to help sort out the current Honda through testing, which he is good at, so that bunsen will be able to qualify higher up the grid and get some elusive points for Honda.

Next year, I don't know; I am taking this a month at a time. :(

Tazio
8th May 2008, 05:12
Right from the http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

F1: Sato vows to stay

TOKYO - JAPANESE driver Takuma Sato vowed on Thursday to stay in Formula One despite being without a team after Super Aguri pulled out of the sport due to financial troubles.
'At this time I am not sure what will happen next as I have been concentrating all my efforts on racing,' the 31-year-old, a former British F3 champion in his seventh year in F1, said on his website.

'I will be looking at my options with my manager and will make an announcement once it is appropriate. However, I have no intention to retire from F1.

'I feel I am driving at the top of my game and want to give so much more to my fans and supporters in Japan and worldwide who have been so incredibly supportive to me during my whole career.'

jens
8th May 2008, 08:58
Uuh... I wonder whether Honda has that 'bravery' to take Sato back after having seen what happened to him in 2005, when he was under pressure in a factory team and had to perform.

Hawkmoon
8th May 2008, 09:25
Has anybody given any consideration to Honda placing Sato, along with an engine supply deal, somewhere for 2009?

I don't know how much time is left on the deals that Red Bull, Williams, Toro Rosso and Force India have with their respective engine suppliers but I'm sure they'd all at least look at a Sato/engine deal from Honda.

Williams are probably the least likely to accept such an offer as they already have the same deal with Nakajima/Toyota but Sato would be an upgrade over Nakajima (as of now, anyway) and a return to the Williams-Honda glory years might be very enticing to Sir Frank.

I don't think Red Bull would be all that interested in Sato but DC has got to be close to the end so who knows?

Force India and Toro Rosso would probably be the two to look at such a proposal with the most interest. I reckon the Honda engine would be cheaper than the Ferrari engine, especially with the Sato discount, and none of the 4 drivers occupying those seats are irreplaceable.

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 09:32
I don't know about Force India, but I really cannot see Torro Rosso coming up with their own independent design and chassis next year. Can you??

Hawkmoon
8th May 2008, 10:11
I don't know about Force India, but I really cannot see Torro Rosso coming up with their own independent design and chassis next year. Can you??

Force India obviously don't have a problem there but I think you're right about Toro Rosso. They have the Minardi facilities but do they still have the design engineers to design their own cars? I have no idea but if I was to hazzard a guess I'd say they're in trouble.

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 13:56
Force India obviously don't have a problem there but I think you're right about Toro Rosso. They have the Minardi facilities but do they still have the design engineers to design their own cars? I have no idea but if I was to hazzard a guess I'd say they're in trouble.

I think to have a car from scratch, they'd have had to start on their new car before this year, and be testing it already, wouldn't they?

ArrowsFA1
8th May 2008, 14:09
My guess, for what it's worth (and I had already mentioned this above) is that Rubens will take early retirement and allow Taku into the team. And ant will be asked to help sort out the current Honda through testing, which he is good at, so that bunsen will be able to qualify higher up the grid and get some elusive points for Honda.
Sounds possible.

Garry Walker
8th May 2008, 18:38

Honda already have Rubens, he is a much better tester than Ant according to f1 engineers.

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 23:49
Gee!! that ignore function works great!! :)

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 01:24

Well Minardi used to make decent cars considering their lack of money. They had the know-how, they just didn't have the technology and cash to get the most out of it. With Red Bull money that team could still make a good car on it's own. Probably not as good as the RBR-Renault but not terrible.

As for Sato, why not have him in when Rubens retires? He's a good driver who I believe has matured greatly as a result of having to fight at the very back of the field. You hardly ever see him involved in accidents with other cars anymore. He still occasionally goes off of his own accord, but he's definitely better than in '04/'05.

Also, his ego's not too big to deny the fact that Button's probably going to be the number one at Honda.

They did say that Super Aguri were going into administration though. I suppose if someone with a lot of money came in they could be back next season. Depends on the car though. I have a feeling they may have to get special dispensation to run a customer car again. it's funny, because whoever buys SAF1, if anyone, will have the exact same situation as they had when they started in 2005/06 :)

stevie_gerrard
9th May 2008, 01:49
I know Sato has made his mistakes in the past, but he has also shown some briliant driving, especially last season in the super aguri. I honestly think if a position was to open up in formula 1, his name would be one of the first on the lists for teams like Force India, and Toro Rosso.

Valve Bounce
9th May 2008, 01:55
They did say that Super Aguri were going into administration though. I suppose if someone with a lot of money came in they could be back next season. Depends on the car though. I have a feeling they may have to get special dispensation to run a customer car again. it's funny, because whoever buys SAF1, if anyone, will have the exact same situation as they had when they started in 2005/06 :)

....................or worse. They will have completely outdated arrows chassis without engines and maybe no transmissions as well. You'd need Barney and Fred Flintstone to get those cars going again. There will be no support whatsoever from Honda, that's for sure.

Valve Bounce
9th May 2008, 01:57
I know Sato has made his mistakes in the past, but he has also shown some briliant driving, especially last season in the super aguri. I honestly think if a position was to open up in formula 1, his name would be one of the first on the lists for teams like Force India, and Toro Rosso.

Can't see it unless Force India were to get some tie up with Honda for free engines and support. And I can't see that happening in my lifetime. :(

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 03:05
Can't see it unless Force India were to get some tie up with Honda for free engines and support. And I can't see that happening in my lifetime. :(

It'll be Liuzzi in with Fisi next season. At least that's the rumour already.

truefan72
9th May 2008, 03:47
Sato is a decent driver and absoultely belongs in F1. He'll be fine

... and so will Davidson.

Hawkmoon
9th May 2008, 03:53
I think Ross Brawn will have a say on who partners Button next year. Honda didn't give him the keys to the team for nothing. I don't see Sato as a Brawn type of driver, but hey, stranger things have happened.

gloomyDAY
10th October 2009, 06:29
I have a sneaky feeling that he'll land a contract at US F1.

Then, the team will not make the grid. :)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79361

Steve2009
10th October 2009, 07:23
http://7_rZbnPbYnI

tmx
10th October 2009, 19:42
"What about Takuma Sato?" is something Jonathan Legard would say during a race.

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 00:31
Davidson before Sato - otherwise none.

There are just too many recently raced drivers including drivers WITH money to spend.

Davidson should try out for the DTM rather. Sato [and Davidson?] should go to Formula Nippon and become an uber champion if he is that good with regular Le Mans showings like many of the drivers in FN.

A really super series with great looking cars.

N. Jones
11th October 2009, 16:41
*sigh*..... remember waayy back when Takuma passed Alonso in his McLaren?

Wonderful times. I miss Super Aguri (I love the underdog).

ioan
11th October 2009, 17:12

:up:

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 18:12

You are referring to Montreal 2007?

Sato remembers that as the greatest day in his racing career and most drivers that are around long enough have one of them.

F1 no longer embraces teams like Minardi or Super Aguri and so the learning curve has steepened. I think a driver like Piquet compared to say Hamilton [who is a natural to f1] would have benefitted from being in a team like that before racing for a team like Renault.

Maybe the closest currently is Toro Rosso but Franz Tost is very impatient with his drivers and that is a problem in my view.

The new teams in f1 could become excellent nurturing places for drivers and one season in the future maybe even one of the new teams will make the break into the grand prix winning challenging level.

ioan
11th October 2009, 19:37
F1 no longer embraces teams like Minardi or Super Aguri and so the learning curve has steepened.

What about USF1, ManorGP and the 'Lotus' teams? Those can't even hold a candle to Super Aguri or Minardi.

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 20:03
What about USF1, ManorGP and the 'Lotus' teams? Those can't even hold a candle to Super Aguri or Minardi.

Eh?

The new teams have not even produced cars yet - so they cannot be compared.

It remains to be seen how many make the grid and how they do and I am sure all those that are supporters of f1 wish them them the best.

ioan
11th October 2009, 21:37
Eh?

The new teams have not even produced cars yet - so they cannot be compared.

Still you were belittling teams who DID produce cars.

ioan
11th October 2009, 21:38
The new teams have not even produced cars yet

Exactly, so they aren't even at the level of SAF1 or Minardi. In theory they know a lot in practice they will be pants.

N. Jones
12th October 2009, 00:32
You are referring to Montreal 2007?

Sato remembers that as the greatest day in his racing career and most drivers that are around long enough have one of them.

F1 no longer embraces teams like Minardi or Super Aguri and so the learning curve has steepened. I think a driver like Piquet compared to say Hamilton [who is a natural to f1] would have benefitted from being in a team like that before racing for a team like Renault.

Maybe the closest currently is Toro Rosso but Franz Tost is very impatient with his drivers and that is a problem in my view.

The new teams in f1 could become excellent nurturing places for drivers and one season in the future maybe even one of the new teams will make the break into the grand prix winning challenging level.

I sure am. Things like that is why Montreal should never leave the calendar.

Knock-on
12th October 2009, 09:39
Would be great to see Ant and Sato back in F1. They both have the class and experience.

Out of the 2 I would guess Ant is more attractive for an emerging team but you know Sato will make your car stand out; sometimes for the wrong reasons ;)

I really think Ant will be back next year.

Garry Walker
13th October 2009, 09:04
I really think Ant will be back next year.

Thankfully I have some ant poison for that.