PDA

View Full Version : teams Hiding car damage

zerodegreec
7th May 2008, 23:31
Why is it teams try to hide damage to a car on the truck, in the service area? Trying to play down the extent of the damage? Trying to hide possible secrets from the competition? Make people like me ask questions?

Livewireshock
8th May 2008, 00:06
Mainly it is for secrecy.

Sometimes the damage exposes some new parts into view or maybe it was an experimental part that failed. Teams like to keep what went wrong close to their chest & to stop the rest of the competition from gaining from their situation.

Donney
8th May 2008, 08:24
Besides a wrecked car is not the best publicity known to man.

Maui J.
8th May 2008, 08:33
Besides a wrecked car is not the best publicity known to man.

Exactly, not good for the PR department. Also known as 'Damage Control'

Magnus
8th May 2008, 09:31
99 percent is due to bad PR. You do not want pics of a broken car which you are trying to sell out on the market, you want pics of a nice clean car with happy drivers, some champagne and a gold trophy in front and maybe some pretty girls if it is ok.

GruppoB
8th May 2008, 21:36
I think its a little off too. I personally wouldnt care

At Laughlin International(Ramada Express if you play RBR) some guys in my service crew got pissed that some guy was showing off his wrecked car or something anyway it made an impression on them as it happened a couple years ago.

I see there point but its pretty moot. Sponsors etc is completely understandable.

bt52b
8th May 2008, 23:03
Ripped and shredded sponsors logo's are probably not the best message platform. PR people always want perfect presentation.

zerodegreec
9th May 2008, 00:12
Its sport. Its not like they blur out the logos when the video of the crash is played world wide on the news. a crash is a crash, it happens and since when do people associate a crash with a sponsors fault? If Loeb clips a rock and tears half the back of the car off, how is this associated to Total or Red Bull?

Zico
9th May 2008, 00:18
If Loeb clips a rock and tears half the back of the car off, how is this associated to Total

Well if it was a Total write off.. ?

;)

Right I'll grab me coat..

duff
9th May 2008, 01:20
A ford dealer in my area use to have a huge poster of Markko Martins car that was wrecked in argentina (2004? if you remember that wreck it was about as bad as it gets) as an advertisment for the safety of the focus.
I guess thats one positive way to spin it!