PDA

View Full Version : Who's gonna replace Bayliss next year?

Corny
7th May 2008, 18:34
I can't even think of one name that is able to get in that seat...

Roby44
7th May 2008, 21:54
I can't even think of one name that is able to get in that seat...

When I was reading the topic, I was thinking..How do you replace a legend??

Like you I can't think of anyone...,

maxu05
7th May 2008, 23:13
For the rider that gets that seat, the pressure to perform would be enormous. It would have to be a rider with huge talent,and young enough to stay for a few years. Max would be a good choice, not Biaggi, the other one :D

ChrisS
8th May 2008, 02:11
Bayliss himself was brought to SBK to replace a legend and and 9 years later he is retiring as a legend himself. It goes to show that no one is irreplaceable.

Biaggi and Xaus seem like the obvious choises. They both have speed and the talent. Biaggi is a well known rider and he is Italian. Xaus raced for the team before, he used to crash a lot and that's what probably cost him the 2003 title. He isn't as wild as he used to be now. He has been racing in SBK since forever but he is only 30.

Shane Byrne could also be a possibility too, especially if he wins the BSB championship.

T-D
8th May 2008, 02:52
the one and only shakey byrne.

or neil hodgson.

or ant west.

but those are my preferences... :)

Ranger
8th May 2008, 06:48
It'd be interesting to see Ant West on a superbike... dunno if they'd give him the seat though!

Mach24
8th May 2008, 11:05
Wonder how long Cal Crutchlow signed with H&M for?

Jaon Lascorz or Gregorio Lavilla?

Brendan Roberts anyone?

ArmchairBikeFan
8th May 2008, 18:08
Shakey Byrne is a very interesting suggestion.

It has to be either a Brit or an Aussie. Ducati won't win the title otherwise, just ask Regis Laconi.

Corny
8th May 2008, 18:38
Neukirchner is the only name that comes above in me.. Though I have my thoughts if he'll be good enough

maxu05
9th May 2008, 00:05
I would love to see Nitro Nori on that bike. That would be so cool.

NinjaMaster
13th May 2008, 05:25
It would appear to me that Brendan Roberts is being groomed as the next heir apparent. If he can win the Superstock 1000 crown then I think it would be a sure thing. However, with Fabrizio under-performing so far, is his seat safe for next year (if this form continues)? I would consider Shaky Byrne as a very good option for Ducati as he's proven he know's how to win and has an excellent history with the Italian marque. Xaus has had his go with the factory team and I don't reckon he'll get another, though he has been impressive this year and I don't think Biaggi is the man either.

13th May 2008, 11:17
I can't imagine watching the riders line up on the grid for the first race in 2009 and Bayliss not being there. I'd like to not think about it but the race commentators insist on informing us that "this is the last time Bayliss will race here at............... " ( whatever the circuit is that we are watching).

NinjaMaster
13th May 2008, 11:55
I can't imagine watching the riders line up on the grid for the first race in 2009 and Bayliss not being there. I'd like to not think about it but the race commentators insist on informing us that "this is the last time Bayliss will race here at............... " ( whatever the circuit is that we are watching).
Perhaps the commentators secretly know of a wildcard round he is doing next year so they won't mention this is last last race he will have at round X. :) It will certainly have a different atmosphere about WSB next year without him but hopefully he can go out on his own terms unlike the rider he came in to replace.

I forgot to mention one other rider I think could be in contention for Troy's seat in the form of Niccolo Canepa, last years Superstock champion for Ducati and one of their current test riders.

tha_jackal
13th May 2008, 12:11
Neukirchner will be in MotoGP before he's aboard a factory Ducati WSBK machine.. They need a young up and coming cherman, he's my bet to be the next rider to do real well in the premier class, might end up replacing Westy or something, as much as i don't want that to happen :D

As far as the Ducati seat(s) goes, Westy would be awesome for me, but unlikely.. I agree with the majority and think Brendan Roberts and Shakey Byrne would be an impressive mix of youth and experience.. Time will tell..

One's thing for sure, it's a mint ride and any rider will be lucky to land it ;)

ArmchairBikeFan
13th May 2008, 16:47
I'm not sure whether Shakey Byrne is going to be wildcarding in WSBK this year, but a couple of decent races against the big boys would be a hell of a boost to his chances.

Xaus isn't quick enough consistently enough. Biaggi doesn't feel like being quick enough often enough.

Fabrizio falls off often enough for four or five fairing fitters to find fine financial futures.

leopard
14th May 2008, 04:22
Is this almost certain that Go Eleven is the same spec of bike to their main team? If not, sterilgarda boys aren't comparable.

Alice pramac is very likely different bike to Ducati Marlboro.

mx311
14th May 2008, 05:27
Who's going to replace Troy Bayliss at Ducati?

I think it will all depend on what approach Ducati want to take next year.

- The Safe Option - Put Max Biaggi on the factory team alongside Michel Fabrizio and promote either Brendan Roberts or Niccolo Canepa to the Sterilgarda team alongside Ruben Xaus.

- The Risky Option - Put Brendan Roberts or Niccolo Canepa on the factory team alongside Fabrizio and leave Xaus and Biaggi where they are.

- The Unlikely Option - Put Biaggi and Roberts or Canepa on the factory team and demote Fabrizio to the Sterilgarda team alongside Xaus.

- The Remote Option - Hire Gregorio Lavilla and put him on the factory team alongside Fabrizio and leave Xaus and Biaggi where they are and leave Canepa and Roberts where they are.

The other question is which of their young guns do they promote first, Canepa or Roberts?

patnicholls
14th May 2008, 19:16
Since he was mentioned above, it won't be Max Neukirchner on the Ducati as he's extended his Suzuki contract til the end of 2010:

http://www.worldsbk.com/pubb_EN/news_ext.php?id=2272

NinjaMaster
15th May 2008, 07:15
Since he was mentioned above, it won't be Max Neukirchner on the Ducati as he's extended his Suzuki contract til the end of 2010:

http://www.worldsbk.com/pubb_EN/news_ext.php?id=2272
The best result for both parties imo.

leopard
15th May 2008, 10:17
both parties between Max Neukirchner and Ducati ? :rolleyes: :)

jim mcglinchey
5th June 2008, 20:04
Colin Edwards, according to MCN.

Roby44
6th June 2008, 12:13

Thats an interesting thought isn't it???

ChrisS
6th June 2008, 21:12

Is this on their website? I cant find it

jim mcglinchey
6th June 2008, 22:55
I dont know, I just glanced at the back cover in the newsagents yesterday.

NinjaMaster
8th June 2008, 15:29
I'd be surprised if Edwards wound up at Ducati WSB next year. Not saying it can't happen but his preference is MotoGP which seems there's a couple of possibilities and he's also spoken to USA Yamaha, although with the incoming superbike changes to the AMA, that may be less inviting...

Roby44
9th June 2008, 02:33
The commentators on Foxsports said last night that Colin might be going to replace Troy on the Ducati in Superbikes.

That Troy himself had suggested Colin to the Ducati Team..

They also said that Colin's first choice would be to stay in MotoGP..if he can.

T-D
9th June 2008, 03:14
i think this colin to ducati rumour has its genesis in the team management of colin edwards and as such i don't put much faith in it.

Mach24
9th June 2008, 06:13
Nicki Hayden! (yes he is officially going with the Dani 'i')

Or there is always Benni Spies!

I reckon Ducati would love to have a US rider aboard (WSBK or MotoGP), after all they really want to crack the most financial market in the world.

ChrisS
9th June 2008, 14:32
i think this colin to ducati rumour has its genesis in the team management of colin edwards and as such i don't put much faith in it.

Colin Edwards is Colin Edwards' management team. He is managing his own career for years now.

Corny
9th June 2008, 17:23
I can hardly believe they put Edwards on that bike..

jonny hurlock
1st July 2008, 21:41
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/bsb/news/165642-0/byrne_cool_on_xerox_rumours.html

my choice whould be shane bryne

to be quite honest that would be a great choice, i've seen riding at snetterton a few weeks back, in the second race he was fantastic in that race. in the bsb this season he been on form.

NinjaMaster
2nd July 2008, 08:57
Byrne would be my choice as well. Then put Roberts or Canepa on the Sterilgarda bike next to Biaggi. If Lanzi got 2 years on the Xerox Ducati, then Fabrizio deserves that long as well and I think he has more to come.

leopard
2nd July 2008, 09:40
Supposing Byrne is rider Ducati consider fit in acting of their main rider, we only hope he is capable of being there. We may count that there aren't too much alumnus of BSB qualified for the bigger championship.

patnicholls
2nd July 2008, 12:44
Byrne would be my choice as well. Then put Roberts or Canepa on the Sterilgarda bike next to Biaggi. If Lanzi got 2 years on the Xerox Ducati, then Fabrizio deserves that long as well and I think he has more to come.

That would be exactly my choice too. Two experienced riders, one in each team, plus the two young guns to bring on for the future. I stand corrected on Shakey's age, he's 32 (not 34 as I'd heard on Eurosport and posted in a different thread).

Mach24
3rd July 2008, 07:11
Sete

leopard
3rd July 2008, 08:19
We and Marco himself might have expected too much that he can deliver an amazing result at a Ducati. If not mistaken he won the titles on RdP not by significant margin. While at Gressini Sete outshone him and was able to give more attractive game against Rossi.

Sete might be an alternative temporarily until this season-end, but for the long term Duke might need to start giving an eye to another Marco 250cc rider, a Rossi look-alike, unless if Sete can perform positive progress in the rest of the season.

gco0307
3rd July 2008, 09:42
I have heard a great many names mentioned ranging from current MotoGP riders through to BSB, AMA and 125/250cc riders, but to date no confirmations.

The favourite so far (if the stories in forums etc are correct) appears to be Byrnes although Hodgson has been getting mentions as has Chas Davies.

But, to throw a spanner or discussion point I will throw another name in the mix.

Marco Melandri.

Now, this would be based on his contract being with the Ducati factory as the question could well be would it be a breach of contract (by Ducati) to put him into the WSBK class (assuming no class specified in his contract).

No knowledge, no facts, just guessing and asking.

ANd what the heck, it sounds almost feasible.

Garry

Corny
3rd July 2008, 10:03
no please not Marco, if he suits that bike then he'll blow away the field..

leopard
3rd July 2008, 10:09
The reason for a name of Marco mentioned could be acceptable.

He has been nearly a year for the observation before posting since registered. ;)

gco0307
3rd July 2008, 10:43
He has been nearly a year for the observation before posting since registered. ;)

Nothing hidden with me.

Joined ages ago but lost the bookmark which was refound recently when in another forum. Hit the link, not knowing if I was registered, tried my usual logon and it worked.

Then found a topic or few of interest and posted.

The Marco business I have posted is just a suggested scenario as to would it be possible and if so, would it work (by the way, if it is possible I say it will happen).

Garry

maxu05
3rd July 2008, 17:20
You went to another forum :s hock:

ChrisS
3rd July 2008, 23:13

There is also the new American Ducati team that is comming to SBK next year. I expect 1 rider will be an american (who?) and there is 1 more seat. Ducati should get one experienced rider on the Xerox bike and put its young talent on other teams.

gco0307
4th July 2008, 09:22
There is also the new American Ducati team that is comming to SBK next year. I expect 1 rider will be an american (who?) and there is 1 more seat. Ducati should get one experienced rider on the Xerox bike and put its young talent on other teams.

Given the state of the US season for next year you could be guaranteed that at least one of the riders will be a US rider, and I would suspect that both will come from the existing AMA (unless they sort their act out).

Garry

FIA
4th July 2008, 22:28
Is Neurkirchner his team mate cause if not him. (Can't remeber of the top of my head),

Marco Melandri?

Ant West?

Ben Spies?

maxu05
4th July 2008, 22:37
Fonsi Nieto is Max's team mate.

Mach24
5th July 2008, 06:25
Fonsi Nieto is Max's team mate.

And Yukio Kagayama is their team mate.

maxu05
5th July 2008, 07:34
Oops, forgot there were 3 of them :)
I wish the Zooks would field 3 bikes in Motogp all year.

Mach24
5th July 2008, 08:05
Oops, forgot there were 3 of them :)
I wish the Zooks would field 3 bikes in Motogp all year.

For the sake of MotoGP they need someone else to run more bikes.

The Phantom
5th July 2008, 13:07

OK, I'll do it.

maxu05
5th July 2008, 14:51
I could run my little scoot, though, the TV telecast would need to be extended :)

ChrisS
5th July 2008, 22:48

Dorna should put pressure on the manufacturers to also make their engines available to chassis builders like the ROC and Harris Yamahas of the 90s and the MD211VF, KR211V and KR212V

They may not make front running bikes but someone is needed to run in the back and it will be better to have a bigger variety of chassis taking part

maxu05
6th July 2008, 00:31
Have to agree with you Chris, though, KR was not at the tail of the field in 2006, so they do have the capability to run up the front if they are given some support. I think supplying engines would be a great, (and cheaper way) for the likes of Kawasaki and Suzuki to field more bikes on the grid, as well as giving the chassis builders an opportunity like you say.

The Phantom
6th July 2008, 16:12
One of the problems is that bespoke chassis manufacturers are a dying breed. What comes out of the factories these days is so good there is often little room for improvement.

BMW will surely see MotoGP as the main target, but how long it will take to make the jump from WSB (which they are yet to embark upon) is anyones guess...

If the forthcoming Aprilia RSV-4 sells well and is competitive in WSB (which I'm sure it will be) then perhaps they'll curtail their 2-stroke activities and throw their weight back into MotoGP? That would be good and bad at once. Mainly bad.

Anyways, we're veering o/t here.

Corny
6th July 2008, 17:32
Tardozzi has tried to get Vermeulen for next year, but he said no at this moment.. (from racesport.nl)

jonny hurlock
29th July 2008, 13:39
interesting comments that xerox ducati wants for next season for bayliss replacement blaggi, Vermeulen, bryne

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk/news/166949-0/ducati__vermeulen,_biaggi_or_byrne.html

Roby44
31st July 2008, 11:10
Troy Bayliss enters The Race of Champions

By Rob Hull
World Superbikes
28 July 2008 13:41

Troy Bayliss (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2008/july/14-20/jul2008-brno-wsb-bayliss-does-double/?&R=EPI-101868) will swap two wheels for four on December 14 when he represents Australia in the Race of Champions (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/?Ntt=race%2520of%2520champions&N=190%2520387&Ntx=mode%2520matchallpartial&Ntk=site) alongside F1 pilot Mark Webber.
The two-time World Superbike (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/?&N=343+402&Ns=P_Publication_Date|1) Champion and current WSB standings leader will be a motorcycling representative against some of the best car drivers in the world.
The event held at Wembley Stadium is a concoction of different four-wheeled racing, pitting two-man nation teams against each other.
Already confirmed for this year alongside the Aussie duo are Michael Schumacher, (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/?Ntt=michael%2520schumacher&N=190%2520481&Ntx=mode%2520matchallpartial&Ntk=site) Andy Priaulx and Jenson Button.
Bayliss isn’t the first biker to compete – Valentino Rossi (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2008/july/14-20/jul2008-motogp-valentino-rossi-defends-overtakes/?&R=EPI-101875) and James Toseland (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2008/july/14-20/jul2008-toseland-unhappy-with-michelin/?&R=EPI-101876) have also tried their hands at the one-off spectacular, and last year Travis Pastrana showed his rallying abilities for Team USA.
Bayliss said: “I am really excited to be part of the Australian team alongside Mark Webber this year at The Race of Champions,” said Bayliss.
“It’s the first time there has been an Aussie contingent so we will be looking forward to having a good time there.”

seppefan
6th August 2008, 09:50
I do not see this as a winning comination. Somehow it fills me with very little confidence for Ducati for 09 if they sign the guy.

The Phantom
6th August 2008, 12:24
You mean Biaggi to take Bayliss's seat on the factory bike? Hmmm. He's fast, no doubt, but I agree that he may not be quite what Ducati should have.

jonny hurlock
7th September 2008, 00:55
NITRO NORI HAGA! to Xerox Ducati, a dame good surprise if his replace bayliss, I put a thumbs up for that pick of choice.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk/ne ... _deal.html (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk/news/168634-0/haga_close_to_'09_ducati_xerox_deal.html)

jonny hurlock
7th September 2008, 00:59
some reason the link is not working. but its a true rumour.

7th September 2008, 01:39
[quote="jonny hurlock"]NITRO NORI HAGA! to Xerox Ducati, a dame good surprise if his replace bayliss, I put a thumbs up for that pick of choice.

Really! I didn't see that coming. Wasn't there a rumour about Corser moving on somewhere else too? Yamaha will want to keep one of them surely. If a move to Ducati will enhance Nori's chances of the championship next year then that's the way for him to go........I guess.

Roby44
7th September 2008, 02:43
If Ducati is really really stuck with trying to get a replacement for Troy, well I'll do it :p

It will be a huge scarifice to have to go and leave my "wonderful" desk job with all its "perks" and my "amazing" life in suburbia but I'm a nice :eek: person and I would hate for them to be stuck with "just anyone"!!! :p

neninja
9th September 2008, 12:25
It's almost 100% going to be Haga

Someone I know who works for Yamaha Racing confirmed that Haga will definitely not be riding for Yamaha next year

ArmchairBikeFan
9th September 2008, 12:44
I'm wondering if the Yamaha is just so complicated that Haga has had enough of trying to set it up! :)

ChrisS
9th September 2008, 18:10
Knowing Haga's luck, the R1 could be the bike to beat next season just as he jumps on a Ducati.

Yamaha revealed the 2009 R1, the most notable change is the new M1 inspired crossplane crankshaft engine with uneven firing order. The engine has great potential, the bike itself looks ugly

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/6/0/home.aspx

ChrisS
9th September 2008, 18:38
Knowing Haga's luck, the R1 could be the bike to beat next season just as he jumps on a Ducati.

Yamaha revealed the 2009 R1, the most notable change is the new M1 inspired crossplane crankshaft engine with uneven firing order. The engine has great potential, the bike itself looks ugly

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/6/0/home.aspx

Corny
9th September 2008, 19:56
Nah.. don't like the bike, after the 2005 one every R1 got uglier

leopard
10th September 2008, 04:09
If Ducati is really really stuck with trying to get a replacement for Troy, well I'll do it :p

It will be a huge scarifice to have to go and leave my "wonderful" desk job with all its "perks" and my "amazing" life in suburbia but I'm a nice :eek: person and I would hate for them to be stuck with "just anyone"!!! :p

As far as I know rider who came to championship late has started to get involved in motorcycle since they were young as easy less than ten years old. That way suffices them with enough provision on technical skill, how to run the right set-up, and convey their message to mechanic. ;)

leopard
10th September 2008, 04:17
I'm wondering if the Yamaha is just so complicated that Haga has had enough of trying to set it up! :)

Yamaha might have their recent development, the most appropriate set-up carried into effect for each race, but they find their effort has its result of no effect. This makes me wonder whom will they chose to be in place of Haga. :)

neninja
10th September 2008, 10:38
Ant West would be a good person to consider for the Yamaha ride I'd say

He may have struggled in MotoGP but I could see him doing well in WSB

tha_jackal
10th September 2008, 11:37

Id second that motion.. If there are ABSOLUTELY no options in GP, then the Yamaha WSBK ride is the most desireable option for Ant, im sure..

Plus, if Corser stays, im sure he'd be an extremely useful knowledge base for the comparatively younger West.. ;)

Roby44
10th September 2008, 21:43

As I reread the topic this morning this same thought popped into my head!!

:eek:

Roby44
10th September 2008, 21:46
As far as I know rider who came to championship late has started to get involved in motorcycle since they were young as easy less than ten years old. That way suffices them with enough provision on technical skill, how to run the right set-up, and convey their message to mechanic. ;)

Yes very true!! :p : I may have just a tad too many kms on my clock to be starting at that level of competition!! :eek:

Oh well I'll just watch then.. :p :

Roby44
10th September 2008, 21:54
World Superbikes » Bayliss: I almost re-signed with Ducati.

Tuesday, 9th September 2008

Troy Bayliss reveals he recently almost extended his Ducati contract into 2009.

Troy Bayliss (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk/racer_bio/1906/troy_bayliss.html) has admitted he came very close to re-signing with Ducati Xerox for another season a couple of months ago, but insists he will definitely hang up his helmet at the end of this season.

Bayliss looks set to end his swansong season on the best possible note as he heads into the final three rounds of the year clutching a three-figure lead.

The flip-side for the team though is that his demise will leave a significant hole, one that will be hard for the multiple champions to fill with a rider who is equally as capable.

http://www.crash.net/images/blank.gif

Indeed, team manager Davide Tardozzi has already revealed that he tried to persuade Bayliss to remain for one more season, a plea that very nearly had him signing on the dotted line again.

“I nearly re-signed about two months ago,” he told Crash.net Radio. “I really felt like I wanted to do more, but I did make my mind up months ago.”

Nonetheless, the imminent announcement that Noriyuki Haga (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wsbk/racer_bio/820/noriyuki_haga.html) will take Bayliss' position in the team means the Australian superstar will definitely be walking away from the championship at the end of 2008.

Not that it has been an easy decision for Bayliss, who feels he is more than capable of riding on for several more years. However, at the same time he believes he needs to use his retirement as a chance to concentrate on his family and ‘chill out'.

“Sometimes I get to the point where I feel like I'm giving my bike away – it's like giving away a pet. I feel like I'm lending it to someone else and I won't be getting it back, so it is really hard to explain.

“I need to chill out and relax for a while back in Australia. The kids are sorted out in schools and the most important thing for me is to calm down a little, which is getting harder and harder because I am a racer at heart.

“I could ride until I put myself in a body bag, but the right thing to do is to stop this year, enjoy my family and start a new chapter in my life.”

Roby44
10th September 2008, 21:56
Some people who were there at Donington say that after the racing Troy came out of his garage and gave away lots of signed knee sliders and visors!!! He seemed in a very relaxed mood even after falling in the second race!!

How nice is he!!!

T-D
11th September 2008, 01:15
haga will always prove exciting, however at times this year, he has appeared to lack motivation.

NinjaMaster
11th September 2008, 09:25
haga will always prove exciting, however at times this year, he has appeared to lack motivation.
I think a change of scenery may be good for Nori as well. Couldn't have been a better get for Ducati either. I'm already really looking forward to next years season!

12th September 2008, 05:50

You could ride side by side with Rolfo and show him how it's done ;)

leopard
12th September 2008, 07:34
Just let me know in case riding class and safety course is needed ;)

I'll join on it :)

Roby44
12th September 2008, 08:22
You could ride side by side with Rolfo and show him how it's done ;)

Just let me know in case riding class and safety course is needed ;)

I'll join on it

I'd be the one one running Roby off track!! ;) No safety course needed..Roby would be very "safe" with me!!! ;)