PDA

View Full Version : 228.727 Pole Speed

Wilf
7th May 2008, 00:50
That's my guess as long as we have good weather - overcast or cloudy and less than 80 degrees on Saturday. Anybody else have a guess. If the weather is as bad as they are suggesting, rain Thursday and Friday, we won't have any clue until practice Saturday morning.

Marco at 226 and three over 225 on Tuesday; I might be too low!!!

NickFalzone
7th May 2008, 03:13
He had tow. Sorry, but 227 tops.

garyshell
7th May 2008, 05:06

Gary

disko
7th May 2008, 17:52
Top Speed 226.83
4 lap Average 226.49

Claus Hansen
8th May 2008, 10:25
Who cares about that, this is one of the sad things about the merger ( and im for the merger, dont get me wrong here ) But spending af month to qualify for a 500 mile race is planed stupid... I dont see the need to a have rookie test, bump day etc for a race, the race at Kansas and other fast placses, so why cant the due the same here...

electron
8th May 2008, 11:13
if you can't comprehend the "month of may" you cannot comprehend an aera of IndyCar history :)

Racing around in circles for 500 miles is plain stupid in itself by the way...
I say 226.76

garyshell
8th May 2008, 14:25
Who cares about that, this is one of the sad things about the merger ( and im for the merger, dont get me wrong here ) But spending af month to qualify for a 500 mile race is planed stupid... I dont see the need to a have rookie test, bump day etc for a race, the race at Kansas and other fast placses, so why cant the due the same here...

It really is as simple as three words tradition, tradition, tradition.

It was part of the "mystique" that built Indy into the "greatest spectacle in racing". It has really always been a marketing plan, I think. It was, and is still, used as a way to build excitement and momentum leading up to the day of the race. As I said in another thread, I live about 100 miles from Indy and the local media here used to cover the entire month in detail. After the split that disappeared, but thankfully has returned this year.

While you are right it is not NECESSARY to use the entire month to prep for a race that TECHNICALLY is no different from others that are accomplished across three days, the marketing aspects of the month make it a VERY important part of the series. The sponsors LOVE the fact that there is so much additional coverage because of the month of May. And that is really what it is all about.

Gary

bblocker68
8th May 2008, 16:07
I like that the new teams actually get some well needed time on the track. And besides, I love Indy, lol.

Pole average: 226.226 :)

keysersoze
8th May 2008, 19:38

In the current economic climate for racing, you're probably right. And what's more, because of concerns for safety, speeds have leveled off in the past 15 years--the Speedway doesn't see the incremental, or at times even dramatic leaps, in performance. In the 70s and early 80s, the excitement was PROFOUND. Nowadays, there is no buzz about "a new track record." No one is particularly excited to see 240, or 250. So why all the practice. It just costs a whole lot of money, perhaps costing the smaller teams a shot at entering more races.

But the IMS must find a way to retain the tradition and mystique of the race. However, shortening the actual on-track activities to anything less than two weeks would be anathema.

Claus Hansen
9th May 2008, 09:11
Money is another factor for cutting the month may down, the teams from ccws is more less runing with out sponsors, look at Graham Rahal, racing for Newman Hass Lanigan, not a single sponsor on that car... as far as remember... If not something happen to cut cost, the field is dowm to 18 cars again...
But that said, im looking forward to the Indy 500, its history is great, as Gray says...

Wilf
10th May 2008, 02:40
In the current economic climate for racing, you're probably right. And what's more, because of concerns for safety, speeds have leveled off in the past 15 years--the Speedway doesn't see the incremental, or at times even dramatic leaps, in performance. In the 70s and early 80s, the excitement was PROFOUND. Nowadays, there is no buzz about "a new track record." No one is particularly excited to see 240, or 250. So why all the practice. It just costs a whole lot of money, perhaps costing the smaller teams a shot at entering more races.

But the IMS must find a way to retain the tradition and mystique of the race. However, shortening the actual on-track activities to anything less than two weeks would be anathema.

Financially, it is probably a better proposition to stay at Indy for the three weeks in May and finish last than to travel to another race site and finish first in that race. 33rd at Indy pays at least $200K and you don't have the added travel cost. The cost for salaries is the same whether they are at Indy or some other city.

You can ask any of the drivers if they feel comfortable to race on the 2.5 mile speedway after 30-50 laps of practice you would get in a day and a half of practice. It is too big, too flat to learn in a couple of days.

The number of practice laps are way down compared to years ago, but the cars are proven safe before they start. It's the drivers who have to make the adjustment which is opposite of the way it used to be when you had to be a dare devil and see if the car and motor would carry you to victory or a hospital bed.

bblocker68
11th May 2008, 02:31
I like that the new teams actually get some well needed time on the track. And besides, I love Indy, lol.

Pole average: 226.226 :)

Man, just missed it (226.366). Gary was even closer. Good job man!