PDA

View Full Version : If you were a mid-field BTCC Team?

FIA
6th May 2008, 21:13
What two drivers would you sogn?

I would sign Gareth Howell and Luke Hines, two former race winners who really should be in the BTCC.

Marc W
6th May 2008, 21:28
It would depend on how much money I had already and which drivers actually wanted to drive for me.

AndySpeed
6th May 2008, 22:33
If I had some sponsors brining enough dough I'd probably try and get Dan Eaves back in. Possibly would give Ben Winrow a chance in the BTCC as well.

VkmSpouge
6th May 2008, 23:08
I would run Dan Eaves and Paul Rivett in a pair of Vauxhall Vectras though I would be soooo tempted just to have a pair of Lada 110s just for a laugh :D

SEATFreak
7th May 2008, 08:26
It would depend on how much money I had already and which drivers actually wanted to drive for me.

I honestly don't really know if the question really is dependent on whether or not you have the money for the drivers you have in mind. But I think the question may have been asked as a means of gauging what ambitions you have for your team if you were a team boss.

Me? I would run one two petrol Leons for Dan Eaves and either Jonathan Adam or Rob Lawson.

I know I am not going to win the outright Teams championship but I still want a very competitive car so I can challenge for the Independent Teams championship. And I think, despite the Leon purely as a car only ever winning the Teams and Manufacturers trophy once, I still reckon it can be very good elsewhere in the BTCC.
I choose Dan because like many he is for me, tragically one of the greatest wasted talents in the BTCC and Adam or Lawson because in the SCC, where they have knowledge of the Leon, they are the two with the most promise.

BDunnell
7th May 2008, 10:22
Gareth Howell and, for a bit of fun, Anthony Reid.

MBailey06
7th May 2008, 11:23
I would get Rob Lawson and James Pickford.

CroftPilgrim
7th May 2008, 12:10
Aaron Slight and Paul O'Neill!

SEATFreak
7th May 2008, 13:08
Gareth Howell and, for a bit of fun, Anthony Reid.

I would get Rob Lawson and James Pickford.

Aaron Slight and Paul O'Neill!

Jyst out of pure interest as FIA did only ask for whom you would sign and not what you would run, what cars indeed would you guys run for them?

MBailey06
7th May 2008, 15:30
I would always want to bring in a new manufacturer to the series, so I would possibly get 2 peugeot 407s from Sweden.

VX_Rules
7th May 2008, 15:36
Leggate. :P

Joke.

Allyc85
7th May 2008, 16:16
Paul o'neil and Eoin Murray would be my choice :D

tin-top fan
7th May 2008, 16:48
I'd go for some volvos from the championship in Sweden, with Eaves and Howell driving. http://polestarclub.iweb.se/archive/slumpad_splash/polestar_splash.jpg

FIA
7th May 2008, 19:04
Leggate. :P

Joke.

hahaha LOL.

I also forgot about Dan Eaves, man I wish he had a seat, possibly Jelley's seat.

MG2004
7th May 2008, 21:19
Anthony Reid and Alain Menu

Alfa Fan
7th May 2008, 22:12
Anthony Reid and Alain Menu

Someone didn't read the question. It's meant to be driver's who would race for a midfield team, of which Reid, and Menu certainly, are not.

Mp3 Astra
7th May 2008, 22:36
I'd get a pair of last year's Civics (if money was too tight, go for a couple of Toledos), and draft in Eoin Murray and Robert Lawson.

BDunnell
7th May 2008, 22:54
Someone didn't read the question. It's meant to be driver's who would race for a midfield team, of which Reid, and Menu certainly, are not.

Menu, I agree, but I think Reid might do if the midfield team could pay him. And my midfield team would certainly be well-enough funded. ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
7th May 2008, 23:10
What is Shaun Watson-Smith up to these days? He deserves another bash in the BTCC, I'd also like to see what Richard Williams could do in a half decent car.

mattie007
8th May 2008, 00:09
I would field Paul Luti (currently racing for Dreadnaught Racing) and Gavin Pyper in a couple of ex-WSR MG ZS's.

Both capable drivers with midfield talent, occasionally pushing for a top 5.

VX_Rules
8th May 2008, 16:00
pushing for a top 5 in a zs? ok...

CroftPilgrim
8th May 2008, 16:21
Beamers - cos I like RWD, or Toledos, cos I still think they're capable of good results

reidy_fan
8th May 2008, 19:23
Jonathan Adam and Paul Luti in a pair of seat leon's. sponsored by Barr's Irn Bru

SEATFreak
8th May 2008, 19:26
pushing for a top 5 in a zs? ok...

I know I am the one that should have that type of stat but when was the last time a ZS got into the top 5?

It is just I don't really understand the ZS as anyones choice of car if they were asked to run a fictional BTCC team when few actual teams would run it.

I said I would ultimately choose the Leon (obviously if I had a healthy budget) but if the worst came to the worst and money was tight I would have the IS200 over the ZS as I would imagine the IS200 to be cheaper than say an Integra.

LiamM
8th May 2008, 19:31
I said I would ultimately choose the Leon (obviously if I had a healthy budget) but if the worst came to the worst and money was tight I would have the IS200 over the ZS as I would imagine the IS200 to be cheaper than say an Integra.

But the Integra would produce results, the IS200 wouldn't, you get what you pay for really

AndySpeed
8th May 2008, 20:01
I know I am the one that should have that type of stat but when was the last time a ZS got into the top 5?

It is just I don't really understand the ZS as anyones choice of car if they were asked to run a fictional BTCC team when few actual teams would run it.

I'm going to have a guess at Silverstone Round 30, 2006. As WSR were the last team with significant backing and experience to race the car.

I certainly wouldn't use the ZS, I'd try and use something new to the BTCC as that would surely be more likely to please the sponsors (and getting noticed).

Alfa Fan
8th May 2008, 20:01

When Colin Turkington finished 2nd in race 3 at Silverstone in 2006.

mattie007
8th May 2008, 21:29
As the title was 'midfield team' then I put the ZS because even in the hands of Jason Hughes its still runs in the midfield.
Its certainly faster and more reliable than the Lexus. Has that car ever got in the top 10 or even come away from a race weekend without a problem?!
In the hands of a quicker driver with a bigger team the ZS would be a regular top 10 with the OCCASIONAL top 5.

Marc W
8th May 2008, 21:38

Does it matter? It's a fictional and hypothetical situation it's never going to happen! It seems a bit pointless to start analysing people's choices of car and their chances of being competitive!

MG2004
8th May 2008, 22:26

Who rattled your cage AlfaFan?

Actually, I did read the question. If I was running a midfield team my ambition would be to move up the grid, hence I would want drivers capable of winning races, and those are the 2 drivers I would WANT to sign!

Whether they would want to sign for me is a different matter, but hey remember when Damon Hill the reigning F1 World Champion signed for Arrows (and almost won in Hungary). Who says Alain Menu wouldn't sign for a midfield team if the money was right?

I notice you haven't posted your own choices yet!

SEATFreak
9th May 2008, 08:01
Does it matter? It's a fictional and hypothetical situation it's never going to happen! It seems a bit pointless to start analysing people's choices of car and their chances of being competitive!

Look at the second paragraph on MG2004's post for my reason.

Jason is a good mid-field performer; I am with people on that one. But it doesn't take scoring points, winning races or running fast to do it. Just have a car that does enough to keep with other midfield performers like Mat Allison and Stephen Jelley.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th May 2008, 10:42
I had a dream last night that Jason Hughes had won at Donington and was lying 3rd in the drivers standings :s

I sign maybe? :p

(Or maybe I should be concerned that I'm dreaming about Jason Hughes? :erm :)

jackmarsh
9th May 2008, 12:33
pair of volvo c30's with shaun watson smith and alan morrison

Abo
9th May 2008, 17:59
A pair of BMW's. I'd hire Pete Wilkinson and Kelly-Jayne Wells from the Pickup series.

I'd have to hire Pete seeing as I've worked for *his* team for five years lol.

VkmSpouge
9th May 2008, 18:18
I had a dream last night that Jason Hughes had won at Donington and was lying 3rd in the drivers standings :s

I sign maybe? :p

(Or maybe I should be concerned that I'm dreaming about Jason Hughes? :erm :)

I would be more concerned if Jason Hughes starts dreaming about you :p :

tyreman2
9th May 2008, 18:49
What two drivers would you sogn?

I would sign Gareth Howell and Luke Hines, two former race winners who really should be in the BTCC.

Firstly why am i in midfield ?
If it's because of budget constraints then you would have to consider a paying driver with reasonable talent.

If it's because the car is only capable of running in the midfield.get 1driver who is good at set-up and can improve the car and another one who is just Quick!

If it's just a straight forward driver choice it's got to be Gio and Jones

gover
9th May 2008, 18:52
i would have a honda civic (jap spec) not the one team dynamic uses and for drivers... james kaye and adam jones!

VX_Rules
9th May 2008, 22:44
With the money some 2nd hand veccys would do the job.

woody2goody
12th May 2008, 18:41
I'd get three Alfa Romeos, the ones that the WTCC uses.

My drivers would be:

Anthony Davidson (not because I think he would drive for me normally, more because he needs something to do :) )

James Kaye

Dan Eaves

nicemms
12th May 2008, 19:44
I'd try to get Rob Gaffney, Clio Driver for Robertshaw and Dan Eaves. And in a pair of Leons or Vectras

100%hondafan
12th May 2008, 20:24
i would have a pair of honda accords with Ben winrow and Jonathen Adam sponsered by san miguel!

Eurotech
30th May 2008, 12:01
For me, I would run a three car team with:

James Pickford (I share my birthday with him)

Rob Lawson (Very talented)

Gavin Pyper or Carl Breeze (Both deserve a return to the BTCC)

Sponsored by Red Bull cos i Luurve it!

Eurotech
30th May 2008, 12:10
Probably running Alfas or MGs (possibly Vauxhall Astras?)