PDA

View Full Version : Ant - will we see him again

seppefan
6th May 2008, 09:55
Will we see Ant again in a F1 car? Does Honda owe him ? Honda tester ? Does Ross Brawn rate him over Rubens ? Other team..

ShiftingGears
6th May 2008, 10:01
Does Ross Brawn rate him over Rubens ?

Well considering that Rubens is near to Button in terms of performance, and Button crushed Sato in terms of performance, and Ant is close to Sato in terms of performance, why would he rate him over Rubens?

He might be a test driver. How did Honda rate him as a tester during 2006?

Garry Walker
6th May 2008, 10:20
Will we see Ant again in a F1 car? Does Honda owe him ? Honda tester ? Does Ross Brawn rate him over Rubens ? Other team..

Hopefully not. No. Hopefully not. No, if Brawn is still sane. No.

Tazio
6th May 2008, 11:15
Ant - will we see him again?

Don't know! Don't care!
Never really understood Antmania! :dozey:

Valve Bounce
6th May 2008, 13:52

Don't know! Don't care!

Driving a one year old car for a budget team and beating the factory cars? That took some doing.
When ant was test driver at Team Honda, he often headed the list on Friday testing - you don't see Nelson Piquet Jr doing that so often now, do you? :dozey:

While testing at Monza, he came within .2 seconds of Michael Schumacher's all time record there. I guess some will only have eyes for the drivers who have seats at Ferrari or Renault or McLaren. Others like myself, like to see drivers do well in lowly teams, especially when they perform above expectations.

In this way, when Fernando Alonso qualified that Minardi at Albert Park, I knew we had a special driver then. It took some time, but he got there and became WDC, twice.

Tazio
6th May 2008, 14:20
Driving a one year old car for a budget team and beating the factory cars? That took some doing.
When ant was test driver at Team Honda, he often headed the list on Friday testing - you don't see Nelson Piquet Jr doing that so often now, do you? :dozey:

While testing at Monza, he came within .2 seconds of Michael Schumacher's all time record there. I guess some will only have eyes for the drivers who have seats at Ferrari or Renault or McLaren. Others like myself, like to see drivers do well in lowly teams, especially when they perform above expectations.

In this way, when Fernando Alonso qualified that Minardi at Albert Park, I knew we had a special driver then. It took some time, but he got there and became WDC, twice.Jeez Valve don't take it personally! I know he's a guy you like.
Where ever he goes he will just have to fight his way back. In 2006 Sebastion Vettel was tearing up the
practices in much the same way as the Ant did. It's a tough biz' Hopefully he can get another test seat!

DazzlaF1
6th May 2008, 15:53

In this way, when Fernando Alonso qualified that Minardi at Albert Park, I knew we had a special driver then. It took some time, but he got there and became WDC, twice.
Seconded, Ant in my opinion is one hell of a development driver, he may need some improvement with his race craft, but i think he has potential to do well in a mid-pack car, he might be in a drive sooner than we think if the rumours about Adrian Sutil's position at Force India are true, if Sutil does go mid-season, i expect Ant to get a call from Mr Maliya soon after

As for Sato, well i think he's finished in F1 and either Indycars or Formula Nippon await him (the former i think is most likely)

Garry Walker
6th May 2008, 16:56
Driving a one year old car for a budget team and beating the factory cars? That took some doing. The factory cars simply sucked and his teammate was beating them (and "ant" too quite often) as well.

When ant was test driver at Team Honda, he often headed the list on Friday testing - you don't see Nelson Piquet Jr doing that so often now, do you? :dozey: Because he could use all revs from his engine when his rivals were saving engines, didn`t have to worry about wasting tyres and did low fuel laps. To compare this to the current situation with Nelson Piquet is crazy.

While testing at Monza, he came within .2 seconds of Michael Schumacher's all time record there. Testing is testing, you never know the configuration they run in. If he was so mighty impressive, why was he able to barely beat Sato there last year in the race (the gap in the end was 4 seconds)?

I guess some will only have eyes for the drivers who have seats at Ferrari or Renault or McLaren. Others like myself, like to see drivers do well in lowly teams, especially when they perform above expectations.
Davidson never performed above expectations, he didn`t impress me at all.

In this way, when Fernando Alonso qualified that Minardi at Albert Park, I knew we had a special driver then. It took some time, but he got there and became WDC, twice. Alonso did something Ant has never done - consistently demolished his team mates.
All the examples you brought of Ant (except beating last years awful Hondas, but Sato was doing the same and one can hardly classify him as somekind of a great driver), have nothing to do with actual racing, but with testing or practise. That shows a lot about his quality as a driver.

The fact is that Davidson didn`t show anything special against Sato, as some of his fanboys said he would. They were equal, both in qualifying and in races. That doesn`t sound like a mark of a future champion, unless of course one believes that Sato is one of the best drivers in F1.

His time in F1 is up, time to give a new chance to promising rookies. I for one hope to not see him in F1 again, he can go to IRL or A1.

F1boat
6th May 2008, 18:24

Don't know! Don't care!

I second that. Ant has some spirit and is a solid driver, but so is Takuma Sato.

truefan72
6th May 2008, 18:30
I hope we see them both Actually Sato has been doing a sterling job. But both would be a fine addtion to any team. Let's see what happens for 2009. Hopefully another team or a shakeupof the old guard in F1. DC, and rubens gone and possibly heidfeld moving somwhere else. Trulli perhaps moving as well. And fisichella probably as well.

We just have to wait and see.

Garry Walker
6th May 2008, 18:37
I hope we see them both Actually Sato has been doing a sterling job. But both would be a fine addtion to any team. Let's see what happens for 2009. Hopefully another team or a shakeupof the old guard in F1. DC, and rubens gone and possibly heidfeld moving somwhere else. Trulli perhaps moving as well. And fisichella probably as well.

We just have to wait and see.

DC, Rubens, Fisi, Heidfeld and Trulli are all superior drivers to sato and Davidson, and by a clear margin. No sane team boss would prefer a no-body like Davidson over them. The case is especially so for the latter 4 of the mentioned drivers, but even DC is clearly better than AD and ST.

inimitablestoo
6th May 2008, 19:50
Unless one of the Honda drivers needs to be replaced for whatever reason this year, I don't think we'll see Sato or Davidson back. And with Honda supposedly eyeing up Marco Andretti for a longer-term F1 career (or possibly even Danica - better duck, Jense) I don't see a route back for either of them on a long-term basis.

Davidson's been a good tester for Honda but I think he needs to be racing somewhere. He's edging close to 30 now, so it's make or break time for F1, and it might be easier to take a drive in IndyCars, GTs or somewhere else instead. After all, 2007 was his first full racing year since 2001, and I can't see him being happy to go back to testing, especially since Honda seems to have a surfeit of possible drivers for 2009.

cy bais
6th May 2008, 19:54
I wonder if Taku will remain Honda's u know what from now on. :)

Tazio
6th May 2008, 20:49
You only begin to realise just how much you love it when it's taken away from you.

"You never know in this game what can happen. You ride the ups and downs on this rollercoaster, and if it's been a downward slope today, then I'm sure we'll bounce back."

http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=formula1/08/05/06/AUTO_Super_Aguri_2nd_Nightlead.html

wedge
6th May 2008, 21:45
The fact is that Davidson didn`t show anything special against Sato, as some of his fanboys said he would. They were equal, both in qualifying and in races.

Yes they were about equal but Ant was the better qualifier - especially second half of 2007, Taku was the better race driver.

Hawkmoon
6th May 2008, 23:25
Sato probably has the better chance to remain in F1 simply due to the fact that the Japanese seem to back their countrymen very strongly. I don't think Honda will just cast him aside.

For Davidson I think it's going to be quite difficult for a couple of reasons. Firstly there simply aren't that many rides available these days. Only 10 teams and restricted testing means that there are only 30 drives available (20 race drivers and 10 testers). Other drivers get drives from time-to-time but not with any regularity.

The second reason I think he will struggle to stay in F1 is that he's not Lewis Hamilton. Nor is he Jenson Button or David Coulthard. I get the impression that British support doesn't filter much past Golden Boy these days so I can't see Davidson getting a drive because of his nationality like Sato.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I wonder if Davidson is regretting staying with Honda for so long? It hasn't really worked for him. Yes it's kept him in F1 but it hasn't given him the career he obviously sought and that many people feel he deserved.

Time will tell I suppose.

maxu05
7th May 2008, 02:35
If I was Ant, I would get out of there and go and race in Indycars,(or whatever they bare calling it these days), or the DTM etc. He would have a more level playing field, make more money, and most likely enjoy it more.

Valve Bounce
7th May 2008, 02:36
I reckon he should go to NASCAR and just enjoy himself.

ShiftingGears
7th May 2008, 08:17
I reckon he should go to NASCAR and just enjoy himself.

If he is dedicated to working his way to the top series, rather than buying a ride to 'enjoy himself' then I don't see why not.

Knock-on
7th May 2008, 11:12
If I was Ant, I would get out of there and go and race in Indycars,(or whatever they bare calling it these days), or the DTM etc. He would have a more level playing field, make more money, and most likely enjoy it more.

I'm sure Ant is looking at alternatives and would be well advised to get in a seat where he can show his worth.

I really fail to understand how Ant is considered so low by people here. He has done a sterling job with the equipment he had.

Sato is the same. At times he used to be a blindingly fast driver but since moving to SA, has tempered his pace to achieve consistency. OK, Button blew him out of the water but that was mainly because Sato overdrove the car and had a reputation of being a bit kamakazi. His spell at SA has seen a welcome change in his driving and I think that the drivers Garry mentioned would be very relived they didn't have to be compared to a driver like Sato. Ant has compared very well to the likeable little Jap and Force India or someone like Toyota would be well advised to think about that.

Will Ant be back in F1? I think if there is nothing straight away, he should get his ass into another high profile series and prove just how quick he is. After all, look at Seb.

Well Ant, a few of us have really enjoyed you in F1 and look forward to the next chapter of your career. I'm sure the old man will keep us informed of whats on the horizon but I wish you well.

Oli_M
7th May 2008, 12:13
Just seen that Wurz is racing in the Le Mans series this weekend - so he won't be at Istanbul. Will Ant (or maybe Sato?) be there as Honda's official 3rd driver this weekend?

maxu05
7th May 2008, 12:39
I think F1 is too full of politics these days. I think Ant should go racing, and forget F1, must get out there and go fast, enjoy yourself.

Tazio
7th May 2008, 15:30
Ant - will we see him again (before he slits his wrists) :D

Garry Walker
7th May 2008, 19:32
I'm sure Ant is looking at alternatives and would be well advised to get in a seat where he can show his worth.

I really fail to understand how Ant is considered so low by people here. He has done a sterling job with the equipment he had.

Sterling? He has done nothing exceptional, not something that would make one think "Oh, I really want him as a driver in my team."
Sato is still as quick as ever, which unfortunatey for him is not very quick. If you put him next to Button now, he would still get destroyed.

jens
7th May 2008, 20:07
The probability of seeing either Sato or Davidson in F1 in the future is... below 50 per cent I guess. Their biggest chance is probably still Honda (Barrichello won't stay in F1 forever and could join IndyCar), however it seems as though as Marco Andretti's appearance in Honda next year looks more likely than either AD or TS, however unimpressive Marco has seemed to different motorsport spectators. And if not Marco, then Luca Filippi or Mike Conway are ready to get a promotion into F1 race driver seat.

Any other team? Seriously doubt about this.
Force India? Nah, Liuzzi is ready to become a race driver there.
Toyota? They are such team, who is trying to get as good drivers as possible (many have refused Toyota's offer as you know) and unlike Honda they have never given a race driver seat to a Japanese driver (although they may offer a Jap driver to their partner team like Williams). Glock will be given time until the end of the season. If he still fails, then I believe Toy will search for a more capable and younger prospect than either AD (currently 29) or TS (31).

I'd like to see Sato at IndyCar - I guess his aggressive driving style suits this series and it would be exciting to watch him there. Have no idea about Davidson's future. In the past he has been a tester for so long that would he really like to be in the same role again? However, Wurz is and seems satisfied. Someone like Schnell may give a more detailed information about plans.

wedge
7th May 2008, 21:12

Hate to say it but Garry Walker is spot on. F1 is called the Piranha Club for nothing!

I'm a fan of Sato, followed him since his thrilling debut in F3 and I'm happy to admit he's a midfielder scraping for points.

CNR
8th May 2008, 00:37
What now for Takuma Sato and Antony Davidson?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21848-What-now-for-Takuma-Sato-and-Antony-Davidson-

Before the season it was rumoured he had an offer to be the BMW Sauber test driver, probably a chance he shouldn't have turned down but hindsight is a great thing, the racer inside him wanted to go racing and that is fair enough. At BMW Sauber a race seat in the future certainly wasn't guaranteed.

If I was asked to predict where I personnally think the pair will end up?
I think Sato will land the Honda seat next season alongside Jenson Button, I don't think Rubens has long left, he isn't performing badly by an means but I can't see him at Honda in 2009. Japan will be up in arms now about Sato not being in F1 anymore so that will contribute to the decision, I doubt Honda will be able to attract any of the front runners yet, their main hopes rest on Button and Sato is now a good much better than when he last drove for the team.
Davidson on the other hand I think will end up at Force India, I think Sutil is under immense pressure and he is a few races away from being shown the axe and for the rest of the season Davidson would be a great option, he is young yet experienced and will bring alot to the team. It would be the best solution for both parties.
I say best of luck to the pair of them.

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 00:45
I'm a fan of Sato, followed him since his thrilling debut in F3 and I'm happy to admit he's a midfielder scraping for points.

This thread is about ant, so why don't we start another thread about Taku? I'll kick start it.

Knock-on
8th May 2008, 13:01
Hate to say it but Garry Walker is spot on. F1 is called the Piranha Club for nothing!

Anyones opinion is as good as another I suppose.

Alonso was praised and became hot property for his performance in a slow car so what would have happened if Ant had finished 5th instead of being taken out by a Gopher I wonder?

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 13:52

Alonso was praised and became hot property for his performance in a slow car so what would have happened if Ant had finished 5th instead of being taken out by a Gopher I wonder?

Wedge would have had conniptions. :eek:

I just wonder why he said: "F1 is called the Pirhana club for nothing!". Do they eat the flesh until nothing is left? :confused:

wedge
8th May 2008, 14:04
Correct me if I'm wrong but Ant didn't have too many stand out performances. He looked pretty good in Bahrain last year.

Canada was bit of one-off - Wurz got a podium and at the end of the season knew he wasn't good enough for F1 racing but Ant is young and hungry for F1.

Reminds me a bit of Trulli in that he's good over one lap but goes backwards, whereas Sato seems to create something from nothing over a race - such as good overtaking manouevres and holding up a train of cars and crucially scored points.

And Ant shouldn't have many excuses because he knew the SA07/RA06 inside out.

If I had to axe a driver for different one in SA, no question it would be Ant.

wedge
8th May 2008, 14:08
Wedge would have had conniptions. :eek:

I just wonder why he said: "F1 is called the Pirhana club for nothing!". Do they eat the flesh until nothing is left? :confused:

I thought every F1 fan knew this?

It's the nickname for the F1 community - with it being big business, silly season and so forth.

Valve Bounce
8th May 2008, 14:13
I thought every F1 fan knew this?

It's the nickname for the F1 community - with it being big business, silly season and so forth.

Under the circumstances I would have said"F1 is NOT called the Pirhana club for nothing".

Garry Walker
8th May 2008, 18:40

But Alonso destroyed his team mate all the time, Davidson didn`t exactly shine against Sato. That is the difference.
Also, everyone knows that that 5th place Davidson lucked into, it wasn`t due to a spectacular drive.

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 01:37

I saw the same potential in Fernando that year, but it was at Suzuka, where he qualified 18th, that he showed what he could really do. After all, Suzuka is a test of the car's capabilties more than most circuits, which means that Alonso probably made up a second or so on what the car could really do.

I think he finished 11th which wasn't too shabby either.

As for Davidson, I hope he gets another chance. After all, barring the encounter with the Montreal wildlife, he probably would have finished on the podium there last year.

He is very quick, and I very precise I think, so I'm sure someone will snap him up at some point. It's possible he could go to Red Bull, I mean he was their reserve driver when it was Jaguar Racing.

woody2goody
9th May 2008, 01:44
But Alonso destroyed his team mate all the time, Davidson didn`t exactly shine against Sato. That is the difference.
Also, everyone knows that that 5th place Davidson lucked into, it wasn`t due to a spectacular drive.

Yeah, but Sato isn't Tarso Marques now is he? Or Alex Yoong. Yoong and Marques are decent drivers but they weren't in an F1 car.

As for IndyCar, Sato is a bit Montoya-esque, and I'm sure that would go down well in that series. In any case I'm sure he is better than Andretti, Viso, Patrick, Rahal and almost a match for Wilson.

Taku would be immense in NASCAR. It seems perfect for his aggressive style and he would relish wheel to wheel racing and lots of contact. He could do very well at somewhere like Bristol or Martinsville...

stevie_gerrard
9th May 2008, 01:52
I thought Ant had promise to do well in formula 1, but in the1 and a bit years he has been at super aguri, he hasnt shown anything that would deserve him a place back in formula 1 (unfortunately in my opinion). He would work really hard for any team he would be part of, but he's still not up to the standard to be one of the best i'm afraid.

aryan
9th May 2008, 11:43

Don't know! Don't care!

Watch 2004 again. You'll understand.

He beat Sato handsomely second half of last year after he'd gotten himself over his rookie-ness. That's all I'll say...

Mikeall
10th May 2008, 13:13
I can't see Davidson staying in F1 and he'll probably end up in Le Mans, FIA GT, DTM or Indycar.

Garry Walker
11th May 2008, 17:37
Yeah, but Sato isn't Tarso Marques now is he? Or Alex Yoong. Yoong and Marques are decent drivers but they weren't in an F1 car.

Nor is Sato anything special. If Davidson wanted to be taken seriously and was a top level driver, he would have beaten Sato easily. But they were equal.

He beat Sato handsomely second half of last year after he'd gotten himself over his rookie-ness. That's all I'll say...

No, he didn`t.

Still, no one has managed to give an example of an actual great race performance by Davidson that wasn`t 100% due to luck.

ArrowsFA1
12th June 2008, 10:44
Anthony Davidson has returned to Formula One action in testing with Honda in Barcelona this morning.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68225

wedge
12th June 2008, 11:38
Anyone else read Mark Hughes' interview with Ant in last week's Autosport.

Mark Hughes usually someone who casts a critical eye on things but I was disappointed how he practically wanted to suck on his..... well, feeding on Ant's ego.

Valve Bounce
12th June 2008, 12:36
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68225

It will be interesting whether this will result in a change in fortunes for bunsen.

inimitablestoo
12th June 2008, 17:19
Back as a Honda tester. Not exactly a career-reestablishing move, I would have thought.

Still, no one has managed to give an example of an actual great race performance by Davidson that wasn`t 100% due to luck.
Canada last year, when he was up to third. It owed 80 or 90% to luck, but you couldn't claim the full ton.

FIA
12th June 2008, 17:41
I think both Sato and Davidson deserve a seat, maybe if Ultimate Motorsports get in F1 they will sign the two former F3 stars.

jens
12th June 2008, 22:11
Canada last year, when he was up to third. It owed 80 or 90% to luck, but you couldn't claim the full ton.

Well, sorry, but last year's Canadian GP was a pure fluke. Drivers, who were in good positions in the end like Wurz and Kovalainen were nowhere before the safety cars. Same with Davidson, who was actually "miles behind" Sato, who qualified 11th (Ant 17th) and was running 9th early on. IMO it was actually one of the most unimpressive racing weekends by Davidson, when he had no chance of matching Sato.

jso1985
13th June 2008, 04:18
he could never be faster than Sato on a regular basis
while Sato isn't rated high by any team, I guess that makes Davidson part of F1's history.
honestly he never impressed besides some good testing times, racing he never did something splendid so I'm not surprised his chances of another F1 ride are low.
he's talented enough though for IRL or DTM

truefan72
13th June 2008, 04:24
Yeah, the jury is still out on Davidson, but nice to see him testing at Honda.
I wonder what the deal is with Sato. He's obviously the better driver of the two and didn't get the call up. Perhaps Honda/Nick Fry thought he was too close to Aguri Suzuki or something.

I would like to see Sato back in F1 in a decent seat. The collapse of Super Aguri and the non entry of Prodrive ( whom I thought back then were not the ideal candidtate and were chosen only due to connections than merit. Subsequently coming back to bite them in the backside) have really limited the opportunities available to drivers out there. Also the retraction of friday 3rd drivers has also made it more difficult to get a good look at other guiys out there and allow other to remain in the conversation.

ArrowsFA1
31st August 2008, 20:28
Just seen that Ant is apparently in Detroit where there's an Indycar race about to start, presumably looking at his options?

Jag_Warrior
31st August 2008, 20:50
Just seen that Ant is apparently in Detroit where there's an Indycar race about to start, presumably looking at his options?

Yeah, I saw that too. Supposedly he's a guest of Panther Racing. Panther is hoping to add another car (their words, not mine ->) "should the team find the proper funding to expand to a two-car operation." They tested Mike Conway a few weeks ago as well. The way I read that, if a ride-buyer brings a big enough check, there is a seat available in the Panther IRL car.

Maybe he wouldn't make it back to F1 anyway. But IMO, going to the IRL will be a one way ticket for him.

Jag_Warrior
31st August 2008, 20:59
Unless one of the Honda drivers needs to be replaced for whatever reason this year, I don't think we'll see Sato or Davidson back. And with Honda supposedly eyeing up Marco Andretti for a longer-term F1 career (or possibly even Danica - better duck, Jense) I don't see a route back for either of them on a long-term basis.

I think there's been some wishful thinking and speculation that Honda has an interest in seeing Marco and Danica move up to F1. But other than allowing Marco to test, and promising Danica a test of some sort after the season is over, I'm not aware that Honda has done anything to develop either driver to F1 standards. Considering that the IRL runs a spec quite close to GP2, and neither driver has risen to the top or demonstrated any sort of racing brilliance thus far, both have a loooong way to go before they think about taking the long step up to Formula One. But if all Honda F1 wants is some PR exposure, either should fit the bill for that.

Valve Bounce
1st September 2008, 01:16
I have long suspected that Honda will offer ant the position of test driver - they desperately need his testing and valuable feedback to lift the car from the doldrums. What Honda will do as regards Taku remains to be seen - perhaps the reaction of the his Japanese fans in the home GP will be the clue.

Knock-on
1st September 2008, 08:43
IIRC, McLaren still owe ant a test.

Would be great if he could take them up on it just to get some visibility back on him.

markabilly
1st September 2008, 16:07
Well, sorry, but last year's Canadian GP was a pure fluke. Drivers, who were in good positions in the end like Wurz and Kovalainen were nowhere before the safety cars. Same with Davidson, who was actually "miles behind" Sato, who qualified 11th (Ant 17th) and was running 9th early on. IMO it was actually one of the most unimpressive racing weekends by Davidson, when he had no chance of matching Sato.
The real problem is car set up between team mates. When a car is set up or responds to one particular driver, then the fact that one is faster than the other, that does NOT mean he is better or more capable of carrying the team. It could mean that he is getting the set up he needs, and the other is not.

OTOH, when it comes to money, that is the easiest way to decide who should drive......yuk

Tom206wrc
29th November 2008, 22:03
Latest rumour: Anthony Davidson would drive a Peugeot 908 at the 24 hours of Le Mans race in 2009(he would have discuss with team manager Serge Saulnier last thursday) :bounce:

woody2goody
30th November 2008, 02:10
Maybe GP2 should be where Davidson goes next. After all he hadn't done much proper racing between 01/02 and 2007.

I'm sure many GP2 teams would jump at the chance to hire a guy with over 20 GPs, in his mid 20s and a good reputation. He could have a very good chance of winning the GP2 championship.

And in a 'single-make' series, someone with his technical skill could prove priceless.

F1boat
30th November 2008, 06:16
Latest rumour: Anthony Davidson would drive a Peugeot 908 at the 24 hours of Le Mans race in 2009(he would have discuss with team manager Serge Saulnier last thursday) :bounce:

Well, this is a good decision for him. I hope that Loeb will participate.

DazzlaF1
1st December 2008, 00:20

What about Honda, arent they supposed to be entering Le Mans next year under the Acura name? THat might be a better bet with his Honda links.

jens
3rd December 2008, 17:05
Maybe GP2 should be where Davidson goes next. After all he hadn't done much proper racing between 01/02 and 2007.

I'm sure many GP2 teams would jump at the chance to hire a guy with over 20 GPs, in his mid 20s and a good reputation. He could have a very good chance of winning the GP2 championship.

And in a 'single-make' series, someone with his technical skill could prove priceless.

In my view GP2 should be a platform for youngsters to get into F1. It already seemed strange that a 29-y-o Pantano beat everyone this year thanks to his massive experience. I don't think we need someone in his 30's (Davidson) winning a GP2 series and hence devaluing youngsters, who haven't reached their peak yet.

ArrowsFA1
12th January 2009, 11:45
Anthony Davidson has revealed that he was closing on a testing or possibly racing deal with Honda before the team's pull-out, but now accepts he has little chance of getting back on the Formula One grid.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72725

gloomyDAY
14th January 2009, 07:02
Too bad, so sad. I highly doubt anyone cares about Ant's participation in F1.

*Cue in the rant by Valve Bounce.*

Although I did like his thoughts about Friday drivers (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72742). Would make things far more interesting!

Garry Walker
14th January 2009, 17:21
Let`s hope his "career" in f1 is over finally now, although I would be quite amused to see him team up with a good driver and be destroyed again.

Nikki Katz
14th January 2009, 19:50
I imagine that Honda would indeed have signed him as test driver, and he might actually have got to drive the car on a couple of occasions. But race??? It would've been Senna or Barrichello.

SGWilko
14th January 2009, 20:30
In response to the thread title, and with tongue firmly in cheek....;

Probably, we have a nest in the lawn....

:D

(I'll get me coat.......)

ShiftingGears
14th January 2009, 23:26
Overrated. I think IndyCar is his best option.

jens
15th January 2009, 19:25
Actually I don't think Davidson is 'overrated' as such as there doesn't seem to be many people, who hold him in high regard anyway.