PDA

View Full Version : Rulebook? Questions for enthusiasts

zerodegreec
6th May 2008, 05:04
Where can I find the current WRC rulebook for 08? I am starting to really become a fan of the WRC thanks to the internet. (not a large following here in Canada). Some questions I have as well:

Why would the new rules for stage starting order flip to the current format? would it not make sense to either give the drivers choice of starting order or better yet award points per stage rather than overall rally? This could keep the teams from pulling the stunt Ford did in Jordan.

Why cant the teams cut tires anymore? Who decides what tire to run for all the teams? or am I wrong that they all run the same tires.

What is the rule with the 5(?) race engine requirement?

I have many more questions. But I doubt you want me to ask them all. The WRC official home page is lacking allot of info. Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

jonkka
6th May 2008, 06:14
http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/rallyregs.html

jonkka
6th May 2008, 06:30
Why would the new rules for stage starting order flip to the current format? would it not make sense to either give the drivers choice of starting order or better yet award points per stage rather than overall rally? This could keep the teams from pulling the stunt Ford did in Jordan.

Both types of starting order have their drawbacks. On most dry gravel events the loose top on the road gets swept away as more and more cars pass, offering better grip for those running further back. The traditional starting order with rally leader starting first is felt to penalize the successful drivers at the front and hence tactical games step into play. In reversed starting order which was introduced to combat that problem, the problem is driving-to-the-splits. It makes catching the leader impossible as split times give an advance warning of any attack made by pursuing competitors. This led to rather processional steady-to-finish rallies and degenerated the sporting value.

Why cant the teams cut tires anymore? Who decides what tire to run for all the teams? or am I wrong that they all run the same tires.

As control tyre was introduced, the level playing field all across the tyre related questions was desired. With everyone on same, un-cut tyres nobody could claim that someone had better (or worse) tyres than others, supposedly making competition more down to cars and drivers. Cutting tyres involves also small cost in form of cutting equipment and personnel which is not needed any longer.

What is the rule with the 5(?) race engine requirement?

You'll find the exact wording of the rule in the link I posted above. Bear in mind that it's difficult read rules jargon but it's all there.

Glee
6th May 2008, 07:46
... Cutting tyres involves also small cost in form of cutting equipment and personnel which is not needed any longer.

And even more expensive, metrologies that can tell what the weather will be in some hours and then give an advice for cutting / not cutting.

zerodegreec
7th May 2008, 03:11
Thanks for the answers. I was reading about the upcoming changes to WRC with the 2000 and N class cars. Sounds like a big shakeup. Should be interesting.

I was also reading that the active diff was pulled after the 07 season and teams need to run manual diffs. Again I assume that this is to take some tech from the cars. Can the drivers make changes in the car similar to brake bias and suspension settings?

grugsticles
7th May 2008, 11:20
Regarding the diffs, I think the centre differential is still active where as the front and rear diffs are mecahnical LSDs. This allows the rear wheels to lock when the handbrake is applied when still keeping drive to the front wheels.

The drivers can adjust brake bias I believe, as well as front/rear drive bias, but thats about it in car. They can make manual adjustments to ride hight, bump and rebound setting on thier struts if they have the tools with them in the car. Ford have some form of electronic means of ride heigh adjustment that can be done quite quickly. I think TIEN, a suspension manufacturer, produce a similar product for the public.