PDA

View Full Version : I500 TV schedule

DrDomm
4th May 2008, 14:43
I'm surprised there is no coverage of practice. Too bad.

Chaparral66
5th May 2008, 22:44
Isn't ABC/ESPN doing anything with coverage of Indy throughout May?

NickFalzone
6th May 2008, 01:15
ESPN2 is airing qualifying starting this Sat at noon. Then ABC picks it up at 3. IndyCar.com has all the scheduling.

NickFalzone
6th May 2008, 01:44
"ABC, ESPN2 and the IMS Radio Network are combining for more than 50 hours of live coverage throughout the month of May."

jarrambide
6th May 2008, 03:03
I know I am in the minority group, but this is very anticlimactic for me, all the waiting between races, qualifying doesn´t really ease the anxiety attack,it reminds me of the last couple of years of CC with some races dates so far from each other.

DrDomm
7th May 2008, 13:59
I know I am in the minority group, but this is very anticlimactic for me, all the waiting between races, qualifying doesn´t really ease the anxiety attack,it reminds me of the last couple of years of CC with some races dates so far from each other.

But that's what the 1 hour practice coverage in the evening was for. It quenched your thirst, and at the same time whet your appetite for qualifying.

It seems like it wasn't too long ago that ESPN showed the final hour of practice. And with all the hype of "unification", you'd think they'd restart that coverage this year. Too bad.

drewdawg727
7th May 2008, 16:50
Are the qualifying coverage this weekend repeating itself? I don't know why there are 3 different television times for the weekend unless they're just showing repeats or something. Can someone clear that up with me?

Vegasguy
7th May 2008, 19:29
Are the qualifying coverage this weekend repeating itself? I don't know why there are 3 different television times for the weekend unless they're just showing repeats or something. Can someone clear that up with me?

Take a closer look, they are just switching channels.
Times listed below are Pacific standard time because thats were I live and I hate how the east coasters never have to do math. ;-)

ESPN2 - 9am-11am
One hour break
ABC - Noon till 3pm
ESPN2 - 3pm till 4pm

MarcoCheever
7th May 2008, 20:00
vegasguy is correct

it's the whole day coverage just switching channels. pole day is great to watch. great fun

Date Air Time Network Program
May 10 times here are local for Indy (ya no math involved)
Noon-2 p.m. ESPN2 (live) Pole Day Qualifying
3-6 p.m. ABC (live)
6-7 p.m. ESPN2 (live)

the final hour will be great !!

Vegasguy
7th May 2008, 20:19
the final hour will be great !!

Actually, since Qualifying is over at 6pm the last hour should be a wrap up and the pole award ceremony.

Bump fun will be from 5pm to 6pm. (local)

usgrandprix
7th May 2008, 21:48

Qualifying can potentially occur at any time 12-6 (there is practice earlier, though).

They are never really sure when people will make their runs, so they have TV time scheduled all day, but I think they don't want to commit to too large a chunk on one channel in case of rain or a dead time when the track is too hot to make a run.

With the new rules, a lot of people have been making a first run right away, which is cool for the fans.

Of course, when there is no qualifying run, the track is open for practice.

If there is no rain, look for everyone to go through a run first thing when the track is open, then a lot of practice, and then late in the day there will be a few withdraw their times and go for pole when the track is potentially cooler.

Looks like it might be coolish on Saturday, so there might be some good activity early. I'm going for the first few hours.

Even during the dead time, though, it's usually decent programming as they should do a lot of interviews. That is, after the obligatory dancing with the stars/Danica's first win/yadda stuff.

I'm sure they'll try to drum up some bump day speculation in the last hour as well as handicap the field for the 12-22 spots on Sunday. Those are important because it buys you more time to work on race setups instead of qualifying. Drivers will want to be first-weekend qualifiers so Sunday evening could be hectic if it does not rain.

Does anybody know if Cheever is doing pole day or just the race?