PDA

View Full Version : Giebler in, driving a Panoz

NickFalzone
3rd May 2008, 18:44
I think this makes it 37 or 38 drivers definitely in.

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=11184

FormerFF
3rd May 2008, 19:05
What are the chances of a Panoz qualifying?

Jonesi
3rd May 2008, 20:12
Story is gone now either from link or front page.

Vegasguy
3rd May 2008, 20:37
Worked fine for me -

Majority ownership of Playa Del Racing has been purchased by former Indiana Boxing Commissioner William T. Kelsey and Arizona businessman Eric Zimmerman and will be known as American Dream Motorsports.

American Dream Motorsports will attempt to qualify for the 92nd Indianapolis 500 with 2007 Chase Rookie of the Year Phil Giebler behind the wheel of the No.21 Honda-powered Panoz.

Former Playa Del Racing co-owner Susan Schafer will oversee American Dream Motorsports' Firestone Indy Lights program.

"It's an honor to be a part of the Indy Racing League under the new format," said Zimmerman, an Indianapolis native. "I truly value my new relationship with Susan Schafer."

Giebler qualified 33rd in 2007 and finished 29th after being involved in a single-car accident on Lap 106.

"It's hard to put into words what it means to return to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indy 500," Giebler said. "I had a huge learning curve in my rookie run last year, but I plan on this being a much better year. To say Indy is all I've thought about for the last 12 months would be an understatement."

Al Unser III will continue to drive the American Dream Motorsports Firestone Indy Lights No. 21 entry for the remainder of the season.

"I'm extremely excited to start this new relationship with Eric and American Dream Motorsports," said Unser, who is ninth in the Firestone Indy Lights points championship. "This is a great time to be in open-wheel racing, and I'm looking forward to continuing our hunt for the 2008 Firestone Indy Lights championship."

Kelsey owns GB Management Company, a real-estate management and acquisitions company, in Indianapolis. Zimmerman and wife Penny have owned restaurants for more than 30 years. American Dream Motorsports will be headquartered in Indianapolis.

NickFalzone
3rd May 2008, 21:19
story isn't gone, just seems like the IndyCar server is not working today. I tried to view the photos page and that doesn't work either.

!!WALDO!!
3rd May 2008, 21:45
What are the chances of a Panoz qualifying?

They have qualified before. If there were 33 of them then what would be their chances?

It is just odds. More than likely as in last year there will be a couple.

(NO REFERENCE, IMPLIED OR REAL TO ANY POSTER, LIVING, DEAD, or NOT YET BORN.)

FormerFF
4th May 2008, 16:18
They have qualified before. If there were 33 of them then what would be their chances?

Let me clarify: Considering that all the competitive teams are running Dallaras, and that no development work is being done on the Panoz, what are the chances that either of the two Panoz cars that are entered will qualify, especially considering the two teams that have entered them?

4th May 2008, 18:24
Giebler qualified 33rd in 2007 and finished 29th after being involved in a single-car accident on Lap 106.

I like that....involved in a single-car accident. In other words, he crashed.

garyshell
4th May 2008, 18:57

I like that....involved in a single-car accident. In other words, he crashed.

Yes, but classified the same whether it was his own car getting loose and into the marbles or someone in front of him having a tire fail and causing Giebler to hit the wall while avoiding the person in front. Either way they classify it a "single-car accident" if two cars don't touch.

Gary

turbo-engine
4th May 2008, 21:27
I really like the look of the Panoz. I'm glad that there will be at least one in the field this year. Are there any other teams so far who give the Panoz a try?

xtlm
4th May 2008, 22:17
arent the panoz and the dallara very very similar looking?

turbo-engine
4th May 2008, 22:20
The noses are different:

Panoz:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/Panoz_G-Force_GF09B_Buddy_Rice_2004.jpg/800px-Panoz_G-Force_GF09B_Buddy_Rice_2004.jpg
http://www.bjwor.com/matsdani.JPG

Dallara:
http://www.ireporter.tv/Upload/autosportblog.com/testing-cvr-03192008.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aGXchM3Kyff4/610x.jpg

keysersoze
4th May 2008, 23:58
The airbox is also significantly different. But I could say that about McLaren and Ferrari, Williams and Toyota, or just about any pair of cars. Even with regard to the Honda and BMW, it's just one truly profound design departure.

In short, I think the post is a troll.

As a Speedway rookie last year, and in one of the few Panozs entered, Giebler's turned in a remarkable performance. In just three days, Phil was at or near the top of the timesheets for second weekend programs. Unfortunately, he made a rookie mistake and wadded up the car in T2 of his last lap of qualifying. The team quickly put the car back together and the next day Giebler strapped himself back in and put it safely in the show. Although he lined up 33rd, he wasn't the slowest.

FormerFF
5th May 2008, 01:47
I really like the look of the Panoz. I'm glad that there will be at least one in the field this year. Are there any other teams so far who give the Panoz a try?

The entry list shows PDM Racing having a Panoz entered, driver TBA.

NickFalzone
5th May 2008, 02:17
Panoz can run fairly quick. I think last year or the year before a driver was in the top 10.

ChicagocrewIRL
5th May 2008, 10:56
The Panoz G-Force Chassis has actually done pretty well at Indy. There was a time when Ganassi had Panozs for road courses and Indy and Dallaras for ovals.

The Panoz G-Force chassis produced by Elan Motorsport Technologies won the Indianapolis 500 in 2003 (de Ferran)and 2004 (Rice).

In 2006, the last year the Panoz G-Force ran competitively and in any significant numbers at Indy, only one finished in the top ten. That was the P8 finish of Danica Patrick.

2005 saw Vitor Meira finish 2nd in his Panoz G-Force and 4 other Panoz in the top 10. (4th-Patrick, 7th-Sharp, 10th-Briscoe)

2004, Panoz had 6 out of the top 10 finishing positions including race winner Buddy Rice.

Not sure why, but Dallara eventually left Panoz in the dust when it came to updating and tweaking their IRL chassis and Danica Patrick's second year was a nightmare for all the Panoz teams. Rahal Letterman never recovered as a race contender after 2006.

It really was too bad that Panoz chose not to remain competitive. In my eye, the Panoz G-Force was a much more aesthetically pleasing design than the Dallara ever was. The triangular air intake always was the quick distinguishing feature for me but the overall look of the car was flatter and racier than the Dallara.

Kenny Brack and Ryan Briscoe were both driving Panoz chassis when they had their horrible crashes and it is a testament to the safety of the cars that both drivers survived.

ChicagocrewIRL
5th May 2008, 11:13
First generation G-Force chassis also won in 1997 (Luyendyk) and 2000 (Montoya)

electron
5th May 2008, 12:54
intersting camparison, ChicagocrewIRL, exactly my observation too when it comes to looks of the Dallara and the G-Force.

Another proof for the thesis that the racier (or better) looking cars are not always the better race cars.

Dr. Krogshöj
5th May 2008, 17:19
Someone sad the Panoz started to fall behind Dallara as early as 2004 but back then the Honda engine was so superior that Rahal/Letterman and Fernandez could still win races. And it did look better, but the sidepods were a bit weird looking.

!!WALDO!!
5th May 2008, 22:09
Let me clarify: Considering that all the competitive teams are running Dallaras, and that no development work is being done on the Panoz, what are the chances that either of the two Panoz cars that are entered will qualify, especially considering the two teams that have entered them?

Qualifying means what? To me and 500 fans, officials and historians it means being one of the 33 fastest. If they are then they will have qualified for the 500. So where do you take the word "qualifying"?

So more or less asked and answered.

FormerFF
6th May 2008, 02:19
<SNIP>
Not sure why, but Dallara eventually left Panoz in the dust when it came to updating and tweaking their IRL chassis and Danica Patrick's second year was a nightmare for all the Panoz teams. Rahal Letterman never recovered as a race contender after 2006.

If I recall correctly, the Panoz had a very narrow setup window. When the team got it right it was fast, but when it was just a little off, it was not competitive. That was why you would see some good qualifying performances, and not so good race results.

maylego
8th May 2008, 18:12
i didn't see that developing