PDA

View Full Version : Larry Curry out again

Wilf
3rd May 2008, 05:05
Vision Racing website says that they hired Davey Hamilton to run the Indy 500 and oh, by the way, we've fired Larry Curry because the wings at homestead weren't up to snuff.

This is interesting in as much as the drivers and cars are now performing near their potential and the architect of this surprise is shown the door for: "a breach of what amounts to the teams code of conduct had occurred and as team manager he was expected to uphold a very high standard, but in this instance fell short.”

While the issue was embarrasing for Tony George, I really believe Ed Carpenter was a big part of this decision. He has been trying to earn respect for his driving ability and then is part of a team accused of cheating just when the team begins to show promise. The fact that both drivers did well without the offending part on their cars was overshaddowed by the controversy.

Keven Kukulewicz has been named team manager. He has been with Vision Racing since their origin several years ago. Before that he had been with Newman Haas, Players/Forsythe Racing, Mo Nunn Racing, and Cheever Racing.

It will be interesting to see where Larry Curry turns up during this month of May when qualifying is almost as important as the race. Curry's cars have always been fast at Indy.

Dr. Krogshöj
3rd May 2008, 07:41
If Larry is not just a scapegoat, and he really attempted to cheat, I applaud this decision. And good luck for Davey.

Vegasguy
3rd May 2008, 10:07
I was hoping that chassis would go to Tracy. Guess not.

BenRoethig
3rd May 2008, 11:50
To me Davey Hamilton getting the 22 ride says two things. Either PT was able to get another, more competitive ride, like the Penske 77 or there was some sort of legal hurdle. While I didn't have much doubt Davey would be in the 500, I expected it would have been with one of the smaller teams.

DrDomm
3rd May 2008, 14:11
I didn't realize that Vision Racing was found to be cheating. Isn't that the team that the sole leader of US openwheel racing owns? Interesting.

BobGarage
3rd May 2008, 15:27
I didn't realize that Vision Racing was found to be cheating.

at homestead, they failed tech inspection after wualifying for having illegalities over the rear wing. carpenter and foytiv had qualifyied 2nd and 3rd but started at the back of the field.

DBell
3rd May 2008, 17:18
At least for LC's sake, he's only out of a job, not on his way to jail. That's an improvement over last time. :cool:

NickFalzone
3rd May 2008, 17:55
We'll see how Kevin does but I figured a lot of the strength this time has shown is due to Curry. On the other hand, Vision is the one team where there's really no room for error in bending the rules. So while Curry has a checkered past, I wouldn't be surprised to see him show up at another shop like a Panther or a D&R if the money is right.

DrDomm
4th May 2008, 14:34
at homestead, they failed tech inspection after wualifying for having illegalities over the rear wing. carpenter and foytiv had qualifyied 2nd and 3rd but started at the back of the field.

I do remember that now. Thanks.

gofastandwynn
5th May 2008, 06:05
Walking through the paddock today and saw Curry in the Roth Racing garage talking to Jay Howard.

Perhaps a new home? Would be a good addition for Roth IMO.

Wilf
9th May 2008, 02:47
Walking through the paddock today and saw Curry in the Roth Racing garage talking to Jay Howard.

Perhaps a new home? Would be a good addition for Roth IMO.

I was surprised he got picked up as fast as he did. He is an excellent mechanic and has demonstrated his magic time and again, but Marty better not have anything close to the line on his cars because they will look at his cars with a magnifying glass.

This will benefit Jay Howard tremendously. He now has a shot at doing very well. Marty should make the show now, also.

ZzZzZz
10th May 2008, 08:16
I didn't realize that Vision Racing was found to be cheating. Isn't that the team that the sole leader of US openwheel racing owns? Interesting.

That is exactly why Vision can have zero tolerance for cheating. Any other team wouldn't have had to fire him, but they did. Roth just got very lucky.