PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP - China 2008

fatman
1st May 2008, 17:13
WooHoo ! Another MotoGP race weekend is upon us.

This round will hopefully answer a few questions.

a) How bad are Ducati's problems at the moment?
b) How much have Michelin really pulled in their game compared to last year?
c) How much of a title threat is Jorge Lorenzo?
d) How far behind is Kawasaki?

Of course the weather reports are calling for rain so it's also possible that none of the questions will actually be answered. Let's bring on round 4.

My prediction is that we'll see some redemption for Bridgestone riders with both Rossi and Stoner fighting for the win.

fatman
1st May 2008, 17:14
Oh yeah. And another question to be answered.

e) Will the new MotoGP.com web site work?

maxu05
1st May 2008, 17:21
I think rain would be an answer to a prayer for Westy and Melandri, and come to think of it, most of the Bridgestone runners. If it rains, I think Dani will struggle, not sure about Heehaw though.

maxu05
1st May 2008, 17:26
Oh, forgot to add. Although I am a little bit south of Shanghai, (1000 or so km), we are expecting rain for the next few days. It is drizzling here at the moment, and looking up at the sky, I can see the rainclouds are being blown in a North Easterly direction, which just happens to be where Shanghai is from here.
As for the Motogp site, hope it works for you this time Ryan, I have given up on it. I watch it through a different source now. If you want the info, send me a PM, though, it is not high res.

maxu05
2nd May 2008, 06:31
Looks like Heehaw will really struggle now, with possible fractures to both ankles, after his high side. Rossi is looking good, as well as Casey and Loris is also up there. It's too early to tell, as there is rain on the way, and what an impact that would have on qualifying. If it rains, we could even see West, Vermeulen, Rossi, Stoner or even Melandri on pole, now that would be cool.

jonny hurlock
2nd May 2008, 07:49
looks like jorge had a giant crash, will he race on sunday? hope so

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/ ... hside.html (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/news/162775-0/pictures:_lorenzo's_monster_highside.html)

pictures says alot

maxu05
2nd May 2008, 09:12
That bike threw him off like a bull at a rodeo. Don't like the guy to be honest, but hope he can recover soon, as I don't like to see anyone get hurt racing.

osg
2nd May 2008, 09:48
Man, that Lorenzo highside was vicious......... :eek:

Corny
2nd May 2008, 09:58
welcome to the 500's Jorge :p

Mach24
2nd May 2008, 10:07
WooHoo ! Another MotoGP race weekend is upon us.

d) How far behind is Kawasaki?

Well one of them is a lot further behind the other..... Only rain can save him!

fatman
2nd May 2008, 13:43
The video on MotoGP.com of the Lorenzo's highside is crazy. It also show's Rossi's reaction watching the crash and it looks like he's going to vomit.

ChrisS
2nd May 2008, 16:57
eurosport also has the video for those without a motogp.com subscription

maxu05
2nd May 2008, 18:00
Did you try my solution Chris ? I found that I can watch drag racing, Nascar, AMA superbikes, Motorcross etc, etc. All the racing that I have been missing, I am now able to watch. Yeah ha.

F1boat
2nd May 2008, 18:01
I hope that he recovers quickly :(

ChrisS
2nd May 2008, 18:23
Did you try my solution Chris ? I found that I can watch drag racing, Nascar, AMA superbikes, Motorcross etc, etc. All the racing that I have been missing, I am now able to watch. Yeah ha.

I watched a few football games on it, but there was no MotoGP race since I got it. I was also searching for a channel that shows BSB but found nothing unfortunately, what channel do you use for AMA superbikes?

Mach24
2nd May 2008, 23:47
I watched a few football games on it, but there was no MotoGP race since I got it. I was also searching for a channel that shows BSB but found nothing unfortunately, what channel do you use for AMA superbikes?

Wheels.... Which is Speed.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but I reckon we are!

Roby44
3rd May 2008, 03:06
Well one of them is a lot further behind the other..... Only rain can save him!

That one will catch up don't you worry about that!! ;)

That bike threw him off like a bull at a rodeo. Don't like the guy to be honest, but hope he can recover soon, as I don't like to see anyone get hurt racing.

I don't like to see any of the riders hurt. But he is with "The big boys" now and thats what can happen.

maxu05
3rd May 2008, 04:44

Mark, (mach24), is spot on. Try Wheels. If you go to the right of the screen, you will see a tv guide. Just scroll down to wheels, and select your time zone. It is always better if you sign up as well, then you can lock in your favourite channels, to save messing about.

jim mcglinchey
3rd May 2008, 08:46
Ive alot more respect for Jorge now, riding with two cracked feet. Did you see the highside that he tamed in qualifying, it was nearly as good as Mamolas. They mustve had him velcoed on, as Julian said.

We're going to London today and Im gonna cry if theres no Europsort in the room, 'cause the race isnt on Beeb either.

Ranger
3rd May 2008, 09:15
Wasn't expecting Edwards to be on pole... good job!

Roby44
3rd May 2008, 11:22
I have to admit that I didn't think about Colin for pole either!! But well done to him, I wonder though if he can turn it into something tomorrow..

ShiftingGears
3rd May 2008, 11:25
I have to admit that I didn't think about Colin for pole either!! But well done to him, I wonder though if he can turn it into something tomorrow..

Yeah, hopefully it won't be like last time he was on pole...

MrJan
3rd May 2008, 11:44
Ive alot more respect for Jorge now, riding with two cracked feet. Did you see the highside that he tamed in qualifying, it was nearly as good as Mamolas. They mustve had him velcoed on, as Julian said.

We're going to London today and Im gonna cry if theres no Europsort in the room, 'cause the race isnt on Beeb either.

I'm pretty sure that the BBC will be showing it as Suzi said at Estoril that she wouldn't be doing Shanghai but Matt would be. Reckon it'll probably be on BBC or interactive because BBC2 is taken up by the oh so important sport of snooker. Seriously what is the point in snooker, a 'sport' that is even more boring live than when you watch it on the telly.

MrJan
3rd May 2008, 11:49
Just had a look at the BBC website and it is actually on real TV just a bit early. MIght have to watch the re-ruin as going out for birthday drinks tonight. On second thoughts I'll probably have to watch it on iPlayer ;) :beer: :beer:

Sunday 4 May

125cc & 250cc races
0445-0715, BBCi (Freeview channel 301) and BBC Sport website

Race live
0745-0900, BBC One and BBC Sport website

Re-run
1230-1500, BBCi (Freeview channel 302) and BBC Sport website

maxu05
3rd May 2008, 12:40
Hats off to Heehaw, that was a gutsy effort. Well done to the Tornado as well, but I fear that he will slip back down the field before halfway, hope I'm wrong, but I have seen him start well from a good position,only to struggle through the race. It should be a great race regardless, can't wait for tomorrow.

Corny
3rd May 2008, 14:07
I think Rossi will hang behind Stoner a big part of the race, like he always did in the past with his rivals.. Not so sure if he can win it from Stoner on the back straight though, but we will see..

Btw, there were a lot of crashes this practice!

AndyRAC
3rd May 2008, 19:47
Well according to the ITV Teletext, Australian Colin Edwards got his first Pole since Britain 2006.
Must admit, that was news to me, I always thought he was known as 'The Texas Tornado' , Texas as in America. If it's not F1, they can't get anything right.

tha_jackal
4th May 2008, 01:36
Accoring to several weather forecasts, theres a highly probable chance of rain today.. So im going to make two lots of predictions :)

WET
1. Stoner
2. Rossi
3. Vermeulen

DRY
1. Stoner
2. Pedrosa
3. Edwards

Time will tell, honestly, for the sake of Westy, I hope it rains.. But for the sake of a good race, I hope it stays dry..

4th May 2008, 03:47

Only if everyone else on the first three rows have incredibly slow starts. :)

osg
4th May 2008, 05:42
Warmup was a wet affair.......... times:

1. Casey Stoner (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/2663/casey_stoner.html) AUS Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 2min 13.055 secs
2. Valentino Rossi (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/422/valentino_rossi.html) ITA Fiat Yamaha Team (B) 2min 13.971 secs
3. Dani Pedrosa (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/2662/dani_pedrosa.html) SPA Repsol Honda Team (M) 2min 14.267 secs
4. John Hopkins (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/1578/john_hopkins.html) USA Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 2min 14.414 secs
5. Andrea Dovizioso (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/2716/andrea_dovizioso.html) ITA JiR Team Scot MotoGP (M) 2min 14.560 secs
6. Alex de Angelis (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/2715/alex_de_angelis.html) RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 2min 14.749 secs
7. Chris Vermeulen (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/1928/chris_vermeulen.html) AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 2min 15.158 secs
8. Colin Edwards (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/1907/colin_edwards.html) USA Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 2min 15.491 secs
9. Marco Melandri (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/383/marco_melandri.html) ITA Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 2min 15.666 secs
10. Anthony West (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/397/anthony_west.html) AUS Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 2min 15.692 secs
11. Shinya Nakano (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/384/shinya_nakano.html) JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 2min 15.909 secs
12. Sylvain Guintoli (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/2676/sylvain_guintoli.html) FRA Alice Team (B) 2min 15.976 secs
13. Nicky Hayden (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/1908/nicky_hayden.html) USA Repsol Honda Team (M) 2min 15.976 secs
14. James Toseland (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/2711/james_toseland.html) GBR Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 2min 16.574 secs
15. Randy de Puniet (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/145/randy_de_puniet.html) FRA LCR Honda MotoGP (M) 2min 16.970 secs
16. Loris Capirossi (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/404/loris_capirossi.html) ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 2min 17.047 secs
17. Jorge Lorenzo (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/2717/jorge_lorenzo.html) SPA Fiat Yamaha Team (M) 2min 20.284 secs
18. Toni Elias (http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/racer_bio/2334/toni_elias.html) SPA Alice Team (B) 2min 21.986 secs

Mach24
4th May 2008, 09:06
Rossi!

Corny
4th May 2008, 09:10
IMO we can't go quick enough to a one-tyre supplier.. Those tyres are way too deciding

Wim_Impreza
4th May 2008, 09:41
Yes, in MotoGP there was again no real fight for the victory. As you can see, the differences were again big, Stoner as third on 16 seconds... Pedrosa was lucky that the circuit was completely dry. Again a disappoiting performance for Anthony West and Hopkins was not much better today.

The Yamaha from Rossi was surprisingly fast in the long straight, even a bit faster than the Honda from Pedrosa. Nice done from Rossi, it was a long time ago that he won. Good to see that Melandri is probably back in business, just as Elias. I must say that Lorenzo made an excellent race, even if I am absolutely no fan from him.

The 125 and 250cc was much more interesting. As expected, Bautista made a fault, he has much to learn in wet / half wet conditions. Great drive by the KTM's, a deserved 1 and 2 finish for them. Pity for Takahashi that he had that problems in the last lap, otherwise he was third.

The 125 saw a nice winner in Iannone, nice done. Again a fault for Bradley Smith, probably his championship chances are gone now.

Hopefully there will be much more rain races this year. :)

Roby44
4th May 2008, 10:16
The Doctor is BACK and KC is still blaming others for his problems!!

Why blame someone else for your tyre choice KC!! You're the one outthere!!

Suck it up boy you're reign is OVER!!

Whorehouse did very well, even though I am not a fan and never will be he did well!!

KC is a big sook!!! :eek:

Mach24
4th May 2008, 10:35

Interesting how you support Ant for finishing last but bag out Stoner for getting on the podium and being first Ducati home.

Each to her own I guess!

Corny
4th May 2008, 10:36
BTW did anyone see the topspeeds? The Ducati's were over 340, so does MotoGP have to lose another 200cc? I thought the idea of the 800 rule was to reduce (top) speeds, but it's nearly the same again

Roby44
4th May 2008, 10:57
Interesting how you support Ant for finishing last but bag out Stoner for getting on the podium and being first Ducati home.

Each to her own I guess!

I have always supported Ant and always will NO matter where he finishes..

As for that little jumped up twat KC..NEVER will I support him..

He can burn up and I'll cross the road before I would pee on him! I don't like him at all and I have had the mis fortune of meeting him so I do know what I am on about..

Ant is a great Australian and a credit to the sport.. He may not get the results that KC GOT but he is a wonderful person and sportsman...

Roby44
4th May 2008, 10:58
BTW did anyone see the topspeeds? The Ducati's were over 340, so does MotoGP have to lose another 200cc? I thought the idea of the 800 rule was to reduce (top) speeds, but it's nearly the same again

Top speeds Don't win races!!

In some races Ant has has top speeds and he still can't bring it home in the top 3..

Mach24
4th May 2008, 11:10
I don't like him at all and I have had the mis fortune of meeting him so I do know what I am on about..

He says such wonderful things about you!

You obviously spent a LOT of time with the guy to form such a venomous opinion.

Roby44
4th May 2008, 11:43
One can usually form an opinion of most people with in a few moments of meeting them.. You know ..First impressions etc..

I have never been a fan so ...

Well with KC,, He is a rude , arrogant, conceited little prick..

It didn't take too long to work that out I can assure you..

In 2006 in Sepang we meet him in the main strret of KL.. he was very rude and aggorant.. As if he was really going out of his way to stop and talk to us.....

In 2007 we again meet him in KL and he was the same ..even more so.

Even out at night at Nandos..

One of my friends WAS a diehard KC fan.. NOTHING could sway her from thinking he WAS THE BEST EVER..She had all the gear, shirt, cap, Aussie flag everything..

But dear old KC was ABOVE signing things for fans or even stopping for pictures....Rolled his eyes and kept on walking. As if ..

So you can guess where all that KC stuff is now, Yeap...In a bin some where at Sepang..

Roby44
4th May 2008, 11:44

You obviously spent a LOT of time with the guy to form such a venomous opinion.

I would hope that I NEVER had to spend TOO Much time with him!!

Crikey what a thing to wish on some one!!! :eek:

Corny
4th May 2008, 11:50
KC? :p

Roby44
4th May 2008, 11:52
KC? :p

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Roby44
4th May 2008, 11:54
Shanghai positive for Andrea Dovizioso despite final position of 11th

04-05-2008

The Chinese Grand Prix weekend has been one of extremes in weather. First high temperatures yesterday and Friday, then overnight rain and then more heavy rain this morning, which only stopped at the start of the 250cc race. So, when the MotoGP race began everyone was on slick tyres, but the temperature was much lower than yesterday. Despite this, Andrea Dovizioso was able to move forward from his grid slot and able to fight for fourth position with Nicky Hayden, Marco Melandri and Colin Edwards. Once more the JiR Team Scot rider was able to show his quality, fighting spirit and determination. He ran an excellent race, but was affected at the end with a loss of grip, which saw him slip down to 11th position at the flag.

Cirano Mularoni– Team Manager, JiR Team Scot
“It has been a tough weekend. The weather conditions changed so much during practice and then the rain overnight and this morning changed completely the grip levels of the track. During warm-up under wet conditions we were confident with the technical choices we had made, but before the start of the race in the dry we had to go for a tyre solution that we hadn’t tried before in those conditions. Andrea showed that he was able to fight as usual with the top riders and he only had to give up at the end of the race thanks to a loss of grip.”

Andrea Dovizioso – Rider, JiR Team Scot MotoGP
HONDA RC212V
Final position: 11th – 9th best lap: 2’ 00.619”
“The final result of today doesn’t show our real potential. From 11th on the grid I knew I was still in a good condition to come up to the head of the race and fight for the top positions. During the first part of race I could really show my potential for a good result. I was so sorry to be further back at the chequered flag but the weather conditions forced us to make some technical choices that we had not really tested in these conditions. I tried to resist the attacks from Hayden and Melandri, but unfortunately the situation we had got worse and I had to slow down a lot meaning I didn’t have the chance to fight. I’m sorry for the team as they all worked so hard and I was looking for a better result, which would give us more satisfaction after so much hard work was done over the course of the weekend.”

Gianni Berti – Technical Co-ordinator, JiR Team Scot
During practice the temperature went as high as 46 degrees and in those conditions we had a very good balance of the bike. Also we were sure that in wet conditions, which we experienced in warm-up this morning we knew that we could also be competitive. These were very positive indications, but in the end the rain on the track dried completely and the temperature was just 21 degrees, so we had to make a quick choice, which unfortunately didn’t help us in the second part of the race.”

Roby44
4th May 2008, 11:55
04 May 2008
TRICKY CONDITIONS HAMPER KAWASAKI IN SHANGHAI
Kawasaki's John Hopkins and Anthony West were left frustrated today, after rear traction problems left them unable to fulfil their true potential in this afternoon's 22-lap Chinese Grand Prix. Hopkins finished a difficult race in 14th position, with West crossing the line a further 20 seconds back in 17th place.
After qualifying on the fifth row of the grid yesterday, Hopkins was quick to make up places from the start of today's race. The Anglo-American put himself in touch with the leaders, including eventual race winner Valentino Rossi, by riding around the outside of the field at turn one. Unfortunately, Hopkins had it all to do again after a coming together with Alex de Angelis forced him to run on at the end of the main straight, and left him nursing a painful puncture wound after catching his knee on his own foot peg.
Rear traction problems hampered the 24-year-old Kawasaki pilot's attempts to work his way back through the field, but his persistence and determination were rewarded with two valuable championship points, as he fought his way up to 14th place by race end.
The main straight also caused problems for West, who was passed by his teammate after running off the track early on in the race. Like Hopkins, the 27-year-old Australian was frustrated by a lack of rear grip from the start of the race, but he also identified a lack of front-end grip under braking as being a major factor in his disappointing result.
With both riders having declared themselves satisfied with the performance of their Ninja ZX-RR machines in race trim and on race tyres yesterday, the reason for such an unexpected deterioration in rear traction was not immediately apparent. Kawasaki's engineers will now look to the data to identify the problem ahead of the next race, which takes place at Le Mans in just two weeks time.
John Hopkins: #21 - 14th
"We went out in the wet warm-up session this morning with high hopes of a good result in the rain or dry today. By the time we got to the race, the circuit had started to dry out and we had to make a decision on tyre choice, which maybe wasn't the best. I struggled right from the start with rear traction problems, and I pushed hard to make my way through the field. I made a few mistakes and ran off the track in places, it was a really tough race. I'm very disappointed as it's not the result I wanted for my hundredth Grand Prix, but we must stay focussed and try to make amends at the next round."

Anthony West: #13 - 17th
"I was looking for a better result than this today. The conditions were not ideal as the track was quite slippery after being wet this morning and it gradually dried out during the race. I followed John for a few laps and I think we were both experiencing similar problems with a lack of rear grip. I ran off the track in places because I just couldn't make the bike stick. I'm frustrated, as we need to make headway with these issues we've been having, but I'm determined for us to make a step forwards very soon."

Michael Bartholemy: Kawasaki Competition Manager
"I am disappointed with the result today as it isn't where I predicted us to be. We are not here to finish in the positions we achieved in the race. Shanghai is a circuit that we've performed quite well at in the past and I felt that we would gain better results here than in the opening rounds of the season. We suffered with rear traction problems in the race and both riders struggled to find grip. Now we have to look forward to Le Mans and everybody must work hard to improve our results there."

MotoGP Race Result:
1. Valentino Rossi (46) Fiat Yamaha 44'08.061; 2. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team +3.890; 3. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team +15.928; 4. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha +22.494; 5. Marco Melandri (ITA) Ducati Marlboro Team +26.957; 6. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda Team +28.369; 7. Colin Edwards (USA) Yamaha Tech 3 +29.780; 8. Toni Elias (ITA) Alice d'Antin Ducati +30.225; 9. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +31.440; 10. Shinya Nakano (JPN) Honda Gresini +35.969; 14. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing Team +45.855; 17. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +1'05.593

Roby44
4th May 2008, 11:59

Believe me ..KC wouldn't have anything NICE to say about me.... :p

Sorry if I do come across as very venoumous about KC, but I just cannot stand him at all..never have been able too actually , so its not a recent thing,

But each to their own...

F1boat
4th May 2008, 12:12
Unlike Roby I am a fan of Casey Stoner and I am happy that he drove a solid race and is back in the podium. The season seems to be very interesting with 4 riders able to win races and maybe to fight for the championship. Congratulations also for the Doctor for the great performance, I bet that he feels like Michael Schumacher at 2006 GP of San Marino. Pedrosa also drove very well and what to say about Lorenzo, to be so fast with such injuries, a heroic performance, to me his finest this season.
I really hope that Ducati will improve their performance and Casey will soon win more races. The best thing is that I sort of like all the drivers, so the season will be really entertaining for me. Still, I hope that Casey will win for Ducati.

Corny
4th May 2008, 12:19
Top speeds Don't win races!!

In some races Ant has has top speeds and he still can't bring it home in the top 3..

I ment from safety view ;)

Roby44
4th May 2008, 12:21
I ment from safety view ;)

Opps!! Sorry!! My bad!!

Roby44
4th May 2008, 12:23
Unlike Roby I am a fan of Casey Stoner and I am happy that he drove a solid race and is back in the podium. The season seems to be very interesting with 4 riders able to win races and maybe to fight for the championship. Congratulations also for the Doctor for the great performance, I bet that he feels like Michael Schumacher at 2006 GP of San Marino. Pedrosa also drove very well and what to say about Lorenzo, to be so fast with such injuries, a heroic performance, to me his finest this season.
I really hope that Ducati will improve their performance and Casey will soon win more races. The best thing is that I sort of like all the drivers, so the season will be really entertaining for me. Still, I hope that Casey will win for Ducati.

Dani had a great race.. It was thwe duel that most were expecting to happen last year but sadly didn't happen..

Lorenzo well what can one say about his performance!! Geez.. most of us would have been under the covers with the pain killlers..
Well done to both..

F1boat
4th May 2008, 12:30
I think that the Top 4 riders rode well and that's why I think that we are ahead of terrific season. :)

Roby44
4th May 2008, 12:37
Some of the lower down riders rode pretty good too..

EG Loris!!

F1boat
4th May 2008, 12:38
I was surprised that JT was so slow.

ChrisS
4th May 2008, 18:09

There was quite a strong helping wind. I think not even the riders knew how fast they were going. so many of them ran wide because they were coming with so much more speed.

patnicholls
4th May 2008, 21:24
Today's races simmered nicely although possibly didn't boil over into full-on classics.

A big well done to Andrea Iannone, by far the best day of his career - hopefully we can see him at the front in the dry sometime too. And weird to say that it's Gabor's first podium of the year. The 250s were pretty interesting, although unlucky for Yuki Takahashi to have the bike problem dropping him from third to seventh in the last couple of corners - he's been riding brilliantly this year virtually on his own on a Honda (Ratthapark Wilairot is the other, he had a good showing today too in 8th) after an injury-afflicted 2007. A special mention also has to go to Doni Pradita, the Indonesian on an ageing Yamaha getting his first ever point which hopefully will go a long way towards promoting racing in his country.

The main race was tense despite the lead not changing between the two of them, and it was mayhem for the rest of the placings. Good to see Marco back near the sharp end, and likewise Toni Elias put in a good showing in 8th on the satellite Ducati. Dovi and JT will be a little disappointed with 11th and 12th (Dovi had tyre issues late on I think; JT struggled to learn the track). And of course, the top two put in blinding performances.

osg
5th May 2008, 03:24
The doctor is back in session........... Che Spettacolo Vale!!!

5th May 2008, 04:02
Great win by Rossi and I'm very pleased that Casey and Marco were more competitive, it will be very encouraging for them both. And Jorge, funny how many of us write that we don't really like his personality much but we do respect him as a rider. He will be champion, maybe not this year tho'.
About some of the posts on this thread - not nice. Referring to a rider as "whorehouse" and over the top comments about Stoner isn't what I would expect on this motorcycle forum. An airline has very very cheap tickets to Aussie soon so I might have to come over there and have a word. ;)

maxu05
5th May 2008, 04:45
Well it's true that many people don't like Lorenzo, but they respect him as a rider and competitor. I think some of the nicknames stem from the way the commentators say his name. I for one cal him Heehaw, as the commentators saying his name sound like donkeys when they say it, as well as I thought last year he was an ass. Times change though, and I have gained a little respect for the boy after his effort in Shanghai, as well as his 3 pole possies. I think you should take it a little more light hearted, for, if you look back at this forum, we used to give Hodgson, Biaggi and especially Fogerty some stick, but most of it is just fun, stirring, and not meant to be taken too seriously.

osg
5th May 2008, 05:39
Oh, and even though i don't particularly like him....... Jorge Lorenzo was the ride of the day, possibly year. That was huge mental will and physical strength to finish that race where he did. Much respect.

ShiftingGears
5th May 2008, 06:45

I hope not. It'd just make the racing more boring. They need to get rid of the TC so that reduces exit speeds slightly, that'd decrease the top speed without making the bikes less spectacular.

leopard
5th May 2008, 07:36
A friend who has ever participated safety riding class said that someone's talent is measured by his ability to ride as slow as possible at the straight and to ride as fast as possible at corners. From that point, corner speed is far interesting than top speed :)

F1boat
5th May 2008, 10:50
About some of the posts on this thread - not nice. Referring to a rider as "whorehouse" and over the top comments about Stoner isn't what I would expect on this motorcycle forum.

I agree!

maxu05
5th May 2008, 14:57
I agree!

Don't take it so seriously, after all, this aint the F1 forum :D I'm sure we will tone it down a bit, to not offend anyone, but it is all tongue in cheek here, so don't stress too much. Pat, (our friendly moderator and postman :D ) will give us a big kick in the pants if we say something that is totally out of order, and most of the members here know that many of our comments of this sort are in jest.

F1boat
5th May 2008, 17:53
I am sure, but it is sort of bad when you read personal comments about your fave rider being a jerk ;)

patnicholls
5th May 2008, 20:41
Don't take it so seriously, after all, this aint the F1 forum :D I'm sure we will tone it down a bit, to not offend anyone, but it is all tongue in cheek here, so don't stress too much. Pat, (our friendly moderator and postman :D ) will give us a big kick in the pants if we say something that is totally out of order, and most of the members here know that many of our comments of this sort are in jest.

Haha yeah, I think regarding this thread that a group hug is in order :)

leopard
6th May 2008, 06:47
I am sure, but it is sort of bad when you read personal comments about your fave rider being a jerk ;)
Why should be afraid of sarcasm, no place totally safe to hide ;)

NinjaMaster
6th May 2008, 14:22
The Doctor is BACK and KC is still blaming others for his problems!!

Why blame someone else for your tyre choice KC!! You're the one outthere!!

Suck it up boy you're reign is OVER!!

Whorehouse did very well, even though I am not a fan and never will be he did well!!

You mightn't like Stoner which is completely within your right for whatever reason you want, but if you're going to have a crack at him, at least listen to what he says. Just to clear it up for you, this is his end of race report:

CASEY STONER (Ducati Marlboro Team) 3rd
"I'm disappointed to be honest because I know we could have done better today. The bike has worked really well in practice and we thought we had the ideal set-up for today but we changed a couple of things and for one reason or another the package just wasn't as good as before. I made a good start and I was happy with that but even in the first corner I couldn't get the bike turned, Colin Edwards came past me, and that was the story of the race. As the race wore on my lap times improved but it was too little too late and in any case it wouldn't have been enough for me to stick with the lead guys. I'm disappointed this has happened today - not so really for third place which is a good result but for the big gap from the lead. I know we can do much better so we will put this behind us, wipe the slate clean and try to do better next time out."

Not once does he blame others for his problems. Instead, he talks about 'we', ie. the team including himself, for the good and the bad.
As for the sook part, well, everyone can make up their own opinion of his personality. That he's not a clown (smiling all the time) like Rossi doesn't make him a sook in my opinion any more than Pedrosa's not necessarily a heartless robot because of his often deadpan facial expressions. It's just who they are.

About the race, it's just a shame any chance of a close race was ruined by the changable conditions. Anytime there is a dramatic change in conditions on a raceday means that teams start guessing at setups and tires and the field ends up spreading out which is what happened. It was still quite an intriguing race to see if Dani had anything to mount a challenge for Vale. Rossi was quite supreme the way he was able to up the ante to break Pedrosa's challenge at the end. It was also interesting to see who would come out on top for the mid-pack placings. Lorenzo is proving to be a superhuman freak after that ride and went a long way to earning a lot of respect from MotoGP fans around the world and it was nice for Marco to finally be able to remind the doubters that he's not a spent force but one to be reckoned with as the season progresses.

ChrisS
6th May 2008, 15:19
Not once does he blame others for his problems. Instead, he talks about 'we', ie. the team including himself, for the good and the bad.

well that's his race report after it went through the PR machine ;) in his park ferme interview for the BBC (still available in the BBC iplayer) Stoner did blame his Bridgestone tyre guys for his tyre selection, "I was advised to change a few things by some people", "I was advised to change a few things in the setup and it just wasn't right"

NinjaMaster
6th May 2008, 15:44
well that's his race report after it went through the PR machine ;) in his park ferme interview for the BBC (still available in the BBC iplayer) Stoner did blame his Bridgestone tyre guys for his tyre selection, "I was advised to change a few things by some people", "I was advised to change a few things in the setup and it just wasn't right"
Fair enough. I couldn't find video of the post race interviews (BBC iplayer only good in UK :( ). I still don't reckon he's one to go 'round purely blaming others.

ChrisS
6th May 2008, 16:02
to be honest that isn't really blaming, of course it was the tyre guy that advised him on the tyres. its just one of those things that because of PR riders don't usually say on TV

Last year's michelin riders complains were much much worse though

Roby44
6th May 2008, 22:20
[quote="NinjaMaster"]You mightn't like Stoner which is completely within your right for whatever reason you want, but if you're going to have a crack at him, at least listen to what he says. Just to clear it up for you, this is his end of race report:

I did listen and heard what I heard..The original version of his after race comments is now lost in "space" I guess!! But it was very soon after the race so I guess thats why not everyone heard it or even read it as it was in print too.

I will keep my thoughts on Casey to myself and will stop calling Lorenzo anything but Jorge or Lorenzo!!

6th May 2008, 23:57
I will keep my thoughts on Casey to myself and will stop calling Lorenzo anything but Jorge or Lorenzo!![/QUOTE]

I gave my opinion of your comments, doesn't mean you should do anything differently. Roby44 without passionate contributions wouldn't be Roby44. It's all :cool:

maxu05
7th May 2008, 01:36
Cool, I will still call him Heehaw though :D I think respect is the main thing. I respected Wayne Gardener as a rider, but off the track, I thought he was a total prat. Like I said before, I don't like Lorenzo or Pedrosa, but, I will still acknowledge that they are two of the best riders out there, and could be the next chimps, oops, champs :D See, just light hearted pot stirring, no need to worry about it so much.

Roby44
7th May 2008, 09:10
Thanks!!

I do get a tad carried away at times about some of the riders!! But thats just me!! I don't mean any harm to anyone.

I will try! to tone it all down a bit though, I would hate to really upset anyone as I'm not like that at all!!

I just like to have fun!!

@ Maux05 Wayne Gardner has his own site still and I wrote to them saying that I thought he was going to be at Phillip Island last year but forgot he was getting married that weekend and that I had taken my book about him to get signed!! Yes I do have a Wayne Gardner book!! Anyway they sent me a signed picture to put into my book!!

But he wasn't one of my favourites, Kevin Magee was and still is!! But it was nice of them / him to send the card.

F1boat
7th May 2008, 10:08
Personally I believe that many great champions are unpleasant sometimes. I think that it is part of their ultra competitive nature - when they lose they are furious and sometimes this is obvious. Even Kimi Raikkonen, a great driver who never talks too much sometimes says something sarcastic, although he is usually very polite. Other drivers - Alonso, Hamilton and in Moto GP Danny, Vale, Casey, Jorge - say or do things which are not very kind. But after all they are racers ...

maxu05
7th May 2008, 11:29
Personally I believe that many great champions are unpleasant sometimes. I think that it is part of their ultra competitive nature - when they lose they are furious and sometimes this is obvious. Even Kimi Raikkonen, a great driver who never talks too much sometimes says something sarcastic, although he is usually very polite. Other drivers - Alonso, Hamilton and in Moto GP Danny, Vale, Casey, Jorge - say or do things which are not very kind. But after all they are racers ...

I must agree, as sometimes, I must lecture a group of students, sometimes up to 2,000 at a time, and I often say after I have done this, DOH ! , why did I say that. I think that in the heat of the moment, a rider will say something, then think about it and regret the comment. I think the media jumps at every opportunity to make more of a situation to sell their copy.

leopard
7th May 2008, 11:39
Lorenzo is kind of person without too much talking too, I see his mouth sealed with that lollipop all day long. ;)

maxu05
7th May 2008, 13:06
You could say that Jorge is a sucker :D

MrJan
7th May 2008, 13:07
Watched the race on iPlayer last night and despite having a promising start it fizzled out a bit.

Nice bit of passion on the forum recently. Have to say that I don't think that I'd get on with most of the MotoGP riders in terms of going for a pint. Toseland and Edwards seem cool, Vale would be excitable and I reckon that both Casey and Jorge would be that boring ****er in the corner that goes home early :p :

In terms of racing a big :up: to Melandri for a good race.

maxu05
7th May 2008, 13:14
Must agree Jan. I think Edwards would be a real laugh out on the town. Jorge, Stoner or Pedrosa would be total bores, and Rossi would be a real hoot. I think Hayden would be a cool cat, as would Toseland.

Roby44
7th May 2008, 21:57
Don't forget Westy!!

I reckon he'd be great to have a night out with on the tiles!!

Jeremy Burgess too!! ;)

ChrisS
8th May 2008, 01:04
Must agree Jan. I think Edwards would be a real laugh out on the town. Jorge, Stoner or Pedrosa would be total bores, and Rossi would be a real hoot. I think Hayden would be a cool cat, as would Toseland.

I think Edwards would be a great guy to drink with as would Hayden , Toseland and Hopkins. Rossi could also be fun but you would have to have Uccio along.

Stoner and Pedrosa would probably need to show ID in some clubs because they look under-age

For the best time out on the town though I would say Anthony Gobert is the man

maxu05
9th May 2008, 00:13
I think Nori would be cool to party with, imagine the Karaoke :D

NinjaMaster
13th May 2008, 05:46
For the best time out on the town though I would say Anthony Gobert is the man

Amen to that!

In fairness to some of the "boring" riders, some of my mates are fairly quiet in public but go out for a few drinks with 'em and much entertainment is had. Their public 'face' isn't everything. As Maxu said though, some guys are also just prats (completely agree bout Gardner).