PDA

View Full Version : Well done Ferrari but..

seppefan
29th April 2008, 08:24
What a fantastic performance Ferrari have shown since Australia. Good to see Kimi up front but we do not need a whitewash again with one team winning everything. We need racing. Spain was boring really. The NASCAR race was more exciting later that evening and I hate NASCAR ! The IRL was more exciting and it was a boring race. I have recenlty been working hard to get members of my Family to watch and get interested in motor racing and on Sunday the series did not help the cause. They were bored stiff and in a strange way ( maybe being brits ) were turned off by the domination.

ShiftingGears
29th April 2008, 08:29
2009 Aero regs should help the lack of passing.

Donney
29th April 2008, 09:27
And slick tyres too.

AndyRAC
29th April 2008, 10:29
Well going on past form, half way through the season something on their car should be banned to let the others catch up. Mass damper, Michelin tyres, etc

Or doesn't this count as it is Ferrari in the lead?

Hawkmoon
29th April 2008, 10:49
Barcelona will always throw up a snooze-fest. Testing on circuits that hold Grand Prix shoud be banned. I can't believe the folly of letting them test on the circuit the week before the race.

F1boat
29th April 2008, 11:24
Well, I am happy that Ferrari won and to me the race was cool. The qualifying was extremely interesting, too.

ArrowsFA1
29th April 2008, 12:38
I agree that F1 could do without a whitewash again, but I don't think that's going to happen. Both McLaren and BMW are going to fight hard this year, but credit to Ferrari for their form so far :up:

Dave B
29th April 2008, 12:41
I agree that F1 could do without a whitewash again, but I don't think that's going to happen. Both McLaren and BMW are going to fight hard this year, but credit to Ferrari for their form so far :up:

True, but there's a very real danger that McLaren and BMW will be so busy taking points off each other that Ferrari may romp off into the distance.

Robinho
29th April 2008, 12:55
i blame Max Mosely, after all i've heard he gets turned on by domination ;)

dc10
29th April 2008, 12:57

Not forgetting Renault - could get up there too eventually, hopefully :D

ArrowsFA1
29th April 2008, 13:54
True, but there's a very real danger that McLaren and BMW will be so busy taking points off each other that Ferrari may romp off into the distance.
Good point :up:

Not forgetting Renault - could get up there too eventually, hopefully :D
Not too sure about Renault. I think Alonso said the best they could hope for in Spain was 7th and that's about where they are. They've got a lot more catching up to do yet to challenge the top three teams.

Sleeper
29th April 2008, 15:37
Not too sure about Renault. I think Alonso said the best they could hope for in Spain was 7th and that's about where they are. They've got a lot more catching up to do yet to challenge the top three teams.
Well, he would have had Heidfeldt at least as he was having a very poor weekend before the SC messed it up.

F1boat
29th April 2008, 19:20
I personally hope that Ferrari will crush its rivals, but they are truly very strong, so it is still very close.

Big Ben
29th April 2008, 19:33
I need to find another hobby for myself.... these races are getting more and more boring... In f1 if a team falls slightly behind its competitors needs a few seasons to catch up... if it does catch up...

we watch 3 races and we know that under normal conditions 18 drivers out of 22 donīt have a chance to win a race... and you can also see that there are 7 teams or so that need a few years to get podiums...

Iīm sure it is very interesting to participate in this competition as a engineer, mechanics, driver or whatever and I'm fascinated by all this super hi tech $h1T but to me motor sport is something else

Knock-on
30th April 2008, 12:27
i blame Max Mosely, after all i've heard he gets turned on by domination ;)

You don't think he could whip up the competition a bit :devil:

wedge
30th April 2008, 12:41
What a fantastic performance Ferrari have shown since Australia. Good to see Kimi up front but we do not need a whitewash again with one team winning everything. We need racing. Spain was boring really. The NASCAR race was more exciting later that evening and I hate NASCAR ! The IRL was more exciting and it was a boring race. I have recenlty been working hard to get members of my Family to watch and get interested in motor racing and on Sunday the series did not help the cause. They were bored stiff and in a strange way ( maybe being brits ) were turned off by the domination.

Like any race series you get good races at certain tracks.

Spain is traditionally a snooze-fest in the same way 1.5m ovals are in NASCAR.

Turkey is usually good, hopefully we don't get a repeat of the snooze-fest last year.

F1boat
1st May 2008, 11:31
IMO the race in Turkey was very interesting and I look forward for another close battle between Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa. I am also very interested about Alonso's pace.

Garry Walker
1st May 2008, 12:02
2009 Aero regs should help the lack of passing.

How do you expect there to be passing when the faster cars are always at the front?

ShiftingGears
1st May 2008, 12:08
How do you expect there to be passing when the faster cars are always at the front?

Closer during cornering.

Garry Walker
1st May 2008, 12:24
Closer during cornering.

But how can a SLOWER car pass a faster car?
Most of the time, the faster cars are already in front of the slower cars after qualifying.

ShiftingGears
1st May 2008, 12:39
Most of the time, the faster cars are already in front of the slower cars after qualifying.

Yes. Think of Hungary last year and that answers why it will increase the passing. Or look at any 80's f1 video.

Tazio
1st May 2008, 21:56
But how can a SLOWER car pass a faster car?
Most of the time, the faster cars are already in front of the slower cars after qualifying.Gary your point is a valid one!
Unless a faster car has a failiar, a problem, or serious driver error, they should be able to maintain the advantage they have taken by qualifying higher. I just hope the 2009 regs put an end to a trend which has been developing over the last season. It seems with only a few exceptions, that too many cars that don't make Q3 run a 1 stop strategy. I think the combination of that, and taking away TC is one reason weve had an over abundance of early race crashes!(as in turn one) Thus Safty car :down:

tintop
2nd May 2008, 02:08
It was a tedious race. Like so many times over the past decade Ferrari appear to have far superior equipment. The only competition seems to be for 2nd place in the constructors' championship. zzzz :o

wmcot
2nd May 2008, 05:47
I agree that Spain was not the most exciting race, but at least the coverage did show many of the battles going on further back in the pack. Too bad they seemed to miss all the incidents!

I find myself watching different types of racing for different reasons - F1 for high-tech and the world's best drivers, ALMS for on track action and tons of overtaking, and NASCAR whenever I need a nap! ;)

jjanicke
2nd May 2008, 05:55
Well going on past form, half way through the season something on their car should be banned to let the others catch up. Mass damper, Michelin tyres, etc

Or doesn't this count as it is Ferrari in the lead?

I would pick the later. Ferrari's leading and therefore the FIA will do nothing. (not that I'm saying they should, yet :) )

I'm all about Kimi for WDC but could care less about, and actually don't like, Ferrari doing well with both drivers.

jjanicke
2nd May 2008, 05:58
Barcelona will always throw up a snooze-fest. Testing on circuits that hold Grand Prix shoud be banned. I can't believe the folly of letting them test on the circuit the week before the race.

Testing on circuits weeks before the GP should banned. I actually don't even understand this one because there use to be a rule banning testing on any track 2 weeks, perhaps even a month (I can't remember), before a GP on that track.

jjanicke
2nd May 2008, 06:00
I personally hope that Ferrari will crush its rivals, but they are truly very strong, so it is still very close.

WHY??

We had 3 of 5 very boring years not so long ago during such dominations.

IMO the race in Turkey was very interesting and I look forward for another close battle between Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa. I am also very interested about Alonso's pace.

:confused:

A fight purely between teammates..... yawn (and I'm a huge Kimi fan)

Tazio
2nd May 2008, 07:09
IMO the race in Turkey was very interesting and I look forward for another close battle between Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa. I am also very interested about Alonso's pace.I am also of the same persuation! :up:

Valve Bounce
2nd May 2008, 07:18
Testing on circuits weeks before the GP should banned. I actually don't even understand this one because there use to be a rule banning testing on any track 2 weeks, perhaps even a month (I can't remember), before a GP on that track.

How about only permitting testing (throughout the entire year) to be restricted to two days, Monday and Tuesday before each Grand Prix? Make those days free for spectators. Now that could actually win over people new to F1 but would turn up to see what it is all about. That should increase gate takings during the races as well as sales on all the GP paraphernalia.

ArrowsFA1
2nd May 2008, 07:59
I can't find it now, but I remember a comment by Elio de Angelis on the pointlessness of so much testing away from the GP weekends. IIRC his view was that it made little difference to the end result, and why couldn't teams just do their testing during the race weekends.

2nd May 2008, 12:43
What a fantastic performance Ferrari have shown since Australia. Good to see Kimi up front but we do not need a whitewash again with one team winning everything. We need racing. Spain was boring really.

It was a tedious race. Like so many times over the past decade Ferrari appear to have far superior equipment.

We had 3 of 5 very boring years not so long ago during such dominations.

Perhaps you three should be better writing to Mclaren, BMW, Renault, Toyota, Honda, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Force India & Super Aguri.

It's their fault there wasn't a closer battle at the front.

tintop
2nd May 2008, 13:13
Perhaps you three should be better writing to Mclaren, BMW, Renault, Toyota, Honda, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Force India & Super Aguri.

Check, I'll take care of that Force India letter right away.

wedge
2nd May 2008, 14:47
IMO the race in Turkey was very interesting and I look forward for another close battle between Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa.

That race was one of the worst races last year.

Alonso stuck behind Heidfeld and decided to pit pass him.

Wondering whether Kimi had more fuel than Massa - the race was over soon as we saw Massa was fuelled longer and Kimi settled for second.

Lewis blows a tyre.

And hardly any overtaking for position.

I can't find it now, but I remember a comment by Elio de Angelis on the pointlessness of so much testing away from the GP weekends. IIRC his view was that it made little difference to the end result, and why couldn't teams just do their testing during the race weekends.

Pat Symonds or Ross Brawn recently said the same thing recently - IIRC referring to concentrating on the 2009 car - you're only making refinements and very rarely make huge leaps and bounds. Though I guess Button/Honda a glad testing wasn't banned last year else they would've had to put up with a dog of a car all year!

If testing was banned there is a risk of component failure and huge accident but I guess its slightly safer on GP weekends when there's more track personnel.

jjanicke
2nd May 2008, 16:06
How about only permitting testing (throughout the entire year) to be restricted to two days, Monday and Tuesday before each Grand Prix? Make those days free for spectators. Now that could actually win over people new to F1 but would turn up to see what it is all about. That should increase gate takings during the races as well as sales on all the GP paraphernalia.

I like that idea. Logistically speaking though it could be a challenge, unless teams unified the "testing" and "racing" crews. And let's face it Ferrari were not that much better than Mclaren and BMW last weekend. Kimi was in a different league, but even when he dialed it back Massa didn't have a chance. Massa had pressure from Lewis or Fred almost then entire race.

jjanicke
2nd May 2008, 16:08

No doubt about it. But that still doesn't make those seasons/races anything other than BORING, so why applaud it?

tintop
2nd May 2008, 16:30
No doubt about it. But that still doesn't make those seasons/races anything other than BORING, so why applaud it?

Yeah, the cause is irrelevant the mind numbing effect is the issue.

F1boat
2nd May 2008, 17:23
jjanicke, I want Ferrari to win and when they are winning I am entertained. I dislike McLaren immensely, so I don't want them to win, although I am sure that they will be competitive in the remaining series; in fact while many members hope that McLaren will be competitive, but think that Ferrari will own them, I am the other way around - I THINK that the battle will be hard, but I hope that Ferrari will win comfortably. It's a matter of taste but to me the sight of the red cars winning comfortably is the best in F-1.
Then again, I like Fernando Alonso very much and if he is close to the Ferrari cars, I will be happy. :)

Wedge, as I said, a matter of taste. To me the victory for Ferrari was the best thing which could have happened and because I thought and still think that McLaren mistreated Alonso, saw the tyre, blown by Lewis as sign of justice. I know that you will disagree, but after all we are racing fans and it is normal to have different opinions :)

To me the best races are the ones in which my favorite team and drivers are winning :)

tintop
2nd May 2008, 19:45
jjanicke, I want Ferrari to win and when they are winning I am entertained. I dislike McLaren immensely, so I don't want them to win, although I am sure that they will be competitive in the remaining series; in fact while many members hope that McLaren will be competitive, but think that Ferrari will own them, I am the other way around - I THINK that the battle will be hard, but I hope that Ferrari will win comfortably. It's a matter of taste but to me the sight of the red cars winning comfortably is the best in F-1.
Then again, I like Fernando Alonso very much and if he is close to the Ferrari cars, I will be happy. :)

Wedge, as I said, a matter of taste. To me the victory for Ferrari was the best thing which could have happened and because I thought and still think that McLaren mistreated Alonso, saw the tyre, blown by Lewis as sign of justice. I know that you will disagree, but after all we are racing fans and it is normal to have different opinions :)

To me the best races are the ones in which my favorite team and drivers are winning :)

I don't particularly like Ferrari recently, but I was really happy with 2007 despite the fact that they won. Why? Because the season (and even some of the races) were incredibly competitive and enjoyable to watch. The Ferrari equipment has been so undeniably dominant in recent seasons that it snuffs out the competition and interest in the sport for many. I like my teams to win, but close contests are more enjoyable ..... unfortunately, this looks like it might be one of those cakewalk seasons again. The #2 fight will hopefully add some excitement and this is one of the better years for intra-team competition IMO.

jjanicke
2nd May 2008, 21:13
#2 fight won't add any excitement.

That said, don't be so fast to write off the 2008 season. Ferrari hasn't been as dominant as some bore-fests of years past. Mclaren and BMW aren't off by much. And if you look back to last year, arguably the most exciting season of the 2000's, Ferrari won 3 of the first 4 races, as they have this year.

F1boat
2nd May 2008, 21:41
IMO this year is more competitive. Last year Ferrari had smaller advantage to McLaren, but bigger to BMW and now the Renault might go fast again. Last year showed that 20-30 points advantage are not impossible to overcome - imagine what will be this year when the gap between 1st and 7th will be 3 tenths in qualifying.
Of course, I hope that Ferrari will dominate and this might happen. But so far we have a competitive season IMO.

Tazio
2nd May 2008, 23:13
Well done Ferrari no buts about it! Bring on Turkey!

tintop
3rd May 2008, 00:58
#2 fight won't add any excitement.

That said, don't be so fast to write off the 2008 season. Ferrari hasn't been as dominant as some bore-fests of years past. Mclaren and BMW aren't off by much. And if you look back to last year, arguably the most exciting season of the 2000's, Ferrari won 3 of the first 4 races, as they have this year.

They were sandbagging in Spain, it wasn't even close. F clicked that early season adjustment that we've seen before. Amazing, really.