PDA

View Full Version : Want Talladega pickems round to be cacelled because of forum unavailability

Frank84
28th April 2008, 00:22
The deadline of pickems for Aaron's 499 NASCAR Sprint Cup Race at Talladega was Saturday, 16:15 GMT. I noticed that before forum lay down. I thought that I can watch practice and did my pickems then. But forum become unavailable on friday evening. Saturday morning (13:30 GMT) I've wrote email to adress that was on Database error page (mail@markhewitt.co.uk).

No answer.

I understand that there are a lot of users who picked this race earlier and they will not be for cancellation. But we must to think about this issue.

Hope for fair decision.

princess4e
28th April 2008, 04:11
Frank-
I think it was down even earlier than Friday. I run several games with green flag deadlines but I couldn't get into them until almost the end of the race.

I also couldn't play the other games... Like to have as much info as possible before I play (doesn't always help tho LOL).

Last year we had a simular problem and it was handled as....It's a good thing to pick early.

I plan on giving my regular players that couldn't pick the minimal points.

Frank84
28th April 2008, 06:48
I plan on giving my regular players that couldn't pick the minimal points.
I think it's a good idea :) Will be satisfied if you'll do it!

GARYGAZZA
28th April 2008, 06:50
I understand that there are a lot of users who picked this race earlier and they will not be for cancellation. But we must to think about this issue.

Hope for fair decision.[/quote]

Got my picks in early,I dont think it was lucky for me because that last lap wreck wiped out nearly all my picks :mad:
I believe there was a problem with the pickems last year so that round was cancelled.

Mark
28th April 2008, 07:46
I'll have to look into it. I've been completely offline for the past week and a half so I have no idea how long the forums were down for! I won't cancel rounds for a short amount of downtime but as yet I don't know what went on.

RaceFanStan
28th April 2008, 15:16
I have stressed the point of posting picks EARLY :!:
people who wait until the last minute hoping to gain an advantage shouldn't be given special treatment ...
anyone that waits to post their picks should understand the risk ...
the people who made their picks deserve their points :!:

Mark
28th April 2008, 17:04
Sounds fine to me. a reminder for all those who pick late is that you have up until the minute the thread closes to change your mind. You could make some picks two weeks ahead but then change your mind closer to the day. Remember all pickems threads are open for 14 days so the forums being down for two or three of those should not stop you from making your choices.

Frank84
28th April 2008, 17:21
people who wait until the last minute hoping to gain an advantage shouldn't be given special treatment ...
I'm not interesting in advantage of knowing other guys choice. I just want to know as much as I can about situation on the track.

anyone that waits to post their picks should understand the risk ...
the people who made their picks deserve their points :!:
I don't contest your points, I just want to have a kind of provisional (for example, 150 pts). Forum was down a lot of time!

Mark
28th April 2008, 17:32
Thats not possible as we would have to do the same for everyone who has ever forgotten to post. On this occasion you will have to just put it down to experience and remember to post a 'banker' pickems at the start of the 14 day period.

JovialJooles
28th April 2008, 20:02
Frank

I sympathise with your view. I couldn't get on the forums Thursday evening, and there was a database error from Friday.

As the forum was inaccessible through no fault of your own well before the start of the race, it does appear to be pretty inflexible not to consider helping out those that couldn't post.

Thats not possible as we would have to do the same for everyone who has ever forgotten to post. On this occasion you will have to just put it down to experience and remember to post a 'banker' pickems at the start of the 14 day period.

Mark, he didn't forget to post, he couldn't get on the forum because the forum was down. If he is allowed to post until Saturday then surely that has to be honoured?

Stan, if you are so miffed at people waiting until Friday to post a pickem, then why not choose a day earlier in the week to close the pickem? If you do allow people to post until Saturday, I don't see why you should be complaining.

Mark
29th April 2008, 07:31
The forum does go down from time to time, it has done for the entire 8 years we've been running and it will do again. When we've had major downtime in the past, sometimes getting up to a week, then I've cancelled pickems before. But in this case it seemed to only affect 2 days of pickem time at the most.

When you consider that pickems are open for 14 days then there was still 12 days of opportunity for the pickems to be posted, and a lot of people did.

As I have said there is no reason not to post your pickems early, you can always change your mind at the last minute if need be.

tstran17_88
30th April 2008, 03:09
Some people must have money down on the pick 'ems.