PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs Racing #20 - Tony Stewart/Joey Logano

Lemmy-Boy
24th April 2008, 06:21
SI.com is reporting that Stewart looking for an early release with Gibbs Racings. The report also claims that Stewart will be joining HAAS CNC Racing for 2009 (and beyond) with partial ownership.

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/tom_bowles/04/23/stewart/index.html

harvick#1
24th April 2008, 06:31
yeah sure: why would be leave a championship team of Gibbs and go to a dump hole of HASS/CNC Racing

if anything RCR would pick him up, got a great friendship with Bowyer and Harvick, plus hes back in a winning Chevy program

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
24th April 2008, 10:58
im not suprised that hes leaving, but for Haas CNC?. i didnt think Tony was ever happy driving a Toyota and to be honest i dont blame him.

BenRoethig
24th April 2008, 13:01
He'd own Haas. Really when it comes down to it they're just cars 5 & 6 for Hendrick and the team did just build a 140,000 square foot state of the art facility. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a similar arraignment for another driver n 2008 as well.

Aussie12
24th April 2008, 21:51
No! No! That's not true! That's impossible! Oooh, I was channelling Luke for the Empire Strikes Back then.

I'm a little sceptical about this one. Stewrt's got it made at Gibbs.

Chaparral66
24th April 2008, 22:06
I think Stewart would be a fool to leave Gibbs before his contract was through. Gibbs almost singlehandely made Toyota competitve in Sprint Cup and we all know what kind of cash they have to support Gibbs. To leave Gibbs and go to what is still basically a start up team would be counter-productive, IMHO. Even if it did give him a chance to work with Chevy again, whom I'm sure would be very supportive on Smoke, why leave a championship caliber team to have to start from square one again?

That said, the only reason why this might have some juice is that now with Kyly Busch and Denny Hamlin on board, both of whom want to win as much as Stewart does, Tony can't really be the diva of the team like he wanted to be after Bobby Labonte left. They both shown they won't back off of him while competing against each other, and maybe that got Tony ripped. If that were true, Joe Gibbs would have to sit Tony down (again) and explain that attitude has no place on a race team. Even Jeff Gordon has to deal with the fact that he has Jimmie Johnson and now Dale Earnhardt, Jr. on his team, with Jimmie winning the Sprint Cup and Junior coming over to get one for himself. Tony can't be the prima donna, he has to find his proper place within the team, without sacrificing his intense desire to win.

Galveston dunes
17th June 2008, 23:32
I've been reading some reports that say in part that Tony would be a majority owner and use the facilities at HAAS.
I'm not sure how valid these are but it sounds like a much better deal than just joining the HAAS org.
As far as the timing I feel now is a good time for it to happen, I don't believe his stature will be any larger the longer he waits.
Of course these are just my opinions.

jslone
18th June 2008, 01:39
He wants to own a team,thats for sure.I have been hearing about this from some of my Nascar customers at work and they said pretty much the sme thing,if he goes to Haas,it would be an ownership deal.The thing I dont like is the fact that Smoke wants to win,he will not get that at Haas.I say stay with Gibbs and by Joey Laganos team,that way he is still with a contender and he gets to own a team.

Sparky1329
18th June 2008, 04:24
Tony Stewart has done it all and quite well to boot:

1995 USAC Triple Crown Champion
1997 IRL Champion
2002 / 2005 Sprint Cup Series Champion
2005 / 2007 Allstate 400 at the Brickyard Winner
2006 IROC XXX Champion

He's already a team owner and a track owner/operator. He's a philanthropist and radio host. He's also 37 years old and won't be able to or want to race in NASCAR forever.

Some people speculate that Tony isn't thrilled with Toyota. I see it differently. Toyota might not be too thrilled about his solid affiliation with Chevrolet in his other-than-NASCAR pursuits.

So what's the downside of majority ownership in Haas CNC? Nothing that I can see. They aren't all that competitive right now but they also don't have Tony Stewart running the show. With technical support from Hendrick and an owner who understands both the racing side of things as well as the business side of things Tony might be just the guy to turn the organization around. And Tony might be at a point in his life where he's looking for another challenge. If he really makes this move I wish him well.

oldhippie
22nd June 2008, 16:21
i think a driver should focus on DRIVING not team ownership
it would be best for a driver to leave team ownership to someone else
team ownership could be an option AFTER a driver gets out of the seat imho

tony stewart is a great driver and will do good no matter what brand he drives

e2mtt
22nd June 2008, 20:42
Tony Stewart has proved everything he needs to prove in NASCAR. If he wants to go run his own team in a partnership with Haas, I don't see any reason wrong. Joe Gibbs helped make him what he was, but now Tony is just 1 of 3 drivers the Gibbs have that are cabable of winning races & championship.

I personally would like to see Montoya go to Gibbs to show how good he really is...

jslone
26th June 2008, 06:01
I dont know about you all but I am sick and tired of these so called nascar fans coming up to me and saying Smoke is done with Gibbs.I tell them this is NAscar at its best and until the deal happens dont believe a word of it.Every link I haveread has said it is a rumour and the damned source close to the information which cant be revealed,wont give up the true information.All the sites I go to have said its a possibility that he might come back to JGR,but then again were there is smoke(hehe)there is fire so who knows.I lioke BS as much as the next guy but this is getting too much.End of my rant on this.I pray it does not happen but who knows.

MD24
26th June 2008, 11:11
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3460729

Also from Jayski:

Hearing that Stewart leaving JGR and buying into Haas CNC Racing is a done deal, supposedly the 2nd driver could be Martin Treux Jr. Hearing the sponsors could be UPS and Bass Pro Shops (6-26-2008)

Sparky1329
26th June 2008, 18:38
Neither Truex nor Newman would be a surprise to me.

e2mtt
27th June 2008, 04:04
Also from Jayski:

Hearing that Stewart leaving JGR and buying into Haas CNC Racing is a done deal, supposedly the 2nd driver could be Martin Treux Jr. Hearing the sponsors could be UPS and Bass Pro Shops (6-26-2008)

That could work. That is some solid sponsorship right there... and I think Haas with money could field a competitive team.

The real story here would be DEI losing Bass Pro & Truex... Tony would be doing his part to make DEI just a museum. :-)

BenRoethig
27th June 2008, 04:07
Why is it such a surprise? Theresa destroyed everything Dale built for the sake of her own ego.

Sparky1329
27th June 2008, 05:46
Why is it such a surprise? Theresa destroyed everything Dale built for the sake of her own ego.

I don't know if her ego was part of it but DEI has suffered on the racing side of things with her at the helm.

MD24
27th June 2008, 22:40
Supposedly the deal is done, earlier Friday, a source close to the situation said that Chevrolet has agreed to terms with Joe Gibbs Racing to buy Tony Stewart out of his contract with the #20-Toyota Sprint Cup racing team. Stewart will indeed be making the move to Haas CNC Racing, a rumor that has been circulating for months. Supposedly Stewart’s new sponsor will be Office Depot and terms have been finalized regarding the impending sponsorship. In addition, Stewart will be joined by current #12 Penske Racing driver Ryan Newman, who would be sponsored by Burger King. No word yet on what car numbers the drivers will run and an announcement could come as early as next week at the Daytona International Speedway( Captain Thunder)(6-27-2008)

http://captainthunderracing.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5278

oldhippie
30th June 2008, 12:35
down the road Tony may regret leaving Gibbs

jslone
2nd July 2008, 06:00
ANother thing I dont get,isnt Office Depot still a sponsor for Roush on Carl Edwards car?If true how does luring one sponsor on a team gonna do on another team?And can it be done?

BobbyC
2nd July 2008, 11:35
Office Depot (NYSE : ODP) has been forced out of Roush at the end of 2008. American Family Life Assurance (NYSE : AFL) has won the bidding for Edwards' sponsorship on the Roush team for a full-season deal (three years) starting in 2009, so the Delray Beach, FL office supply chain is hunting for a new team.

oldhippie
2nd July 2008, 13:21
Tony Stewart is sponsor friendly and he will not have a problem getting one

Hoss Ghoul
2nd July 2008, 13:26
Stewart will drive for Hendrick next year. Why wouldn't he? Talk about the ultimate super-team, ridiculous.

He wants to drive a Chevy.
He's friends with Earnhardt.
He wants to win(why would he join Haas?).
He has 3-5 years, at most, left as a top driver.
He will make a ton of cash.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
2nd July 2008, 13:58
I think he wants a new challange. hes won everything there is to win (apart from Daytona) and if hes got 3-4 years left driving now would be a good time for him to start his own team if thats what he wants to do. Im not a big stewart fan but i think he could pull it off as long as he can get the right people.

RaceFanStan
2nd July 2008, 15:43
Stewart will drive for Hendrick next year.
Why wouldn't he? Talk about the ultimate super-team, ridiculous.

He wants to drive a Chevy.
He's friends with Earnhardt.
He wants to win (why would he join Haas?).
He has 3-5 years, at most, left as a top driver.
He will make a ton of cash.
Now that makes sense to me http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/thum/ua.gif
It just doesn't make sense to leave Joe Gibbs Racing for a lesser team http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/erm/huh.gif

Tony SHOULD go to 1 of the premier Chevrolet teams IMO ...
Rick Hendrick should sell Tony Stewart ownership of the 5 car with full Hendrick MotorSports support :!:

jslone
3rd July 2008, 06:02
There was talk of him going to hendrick but both parites have not said anything.That makes the most sense because if he did sign on with HAAS I think he is gong to be like Michale Waltrip and not be in contention everyweek for a race win and also another cup title.Some of you all say he is close to being over the hill,remember Mark Martin has 10 years on Smoke and was still in contention.It depends on were he goes.I hope its with Hendrick.Anything less and he will be out of Nascar in 4 years.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
3rd July 2008, 09:29
We'll he wont be in the 5 thats for sure. Announcment tomorrow from hendrick at Daytona will be that Martin is in the the 5 in '09. Whether its full time or part time is yet to be seen.

MD24
3rd July 2008, 16:51
Office Depot to Stewart: been told that Office Depot will be the sponsor for Tony Stewart in 2009 when he drives for Haas CNC Racing which is will buy in to. Hearing the announcement of the buy and deal will be made in Indianapolis the week NASCAR is in Indy for the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard, July 27th.(7-3-2008)

harvick#1
3rd July 2008, 17:01
Stewart will drive for Hendrick next year. Why wouldn't he? Talk about the ultimate super-team, ridiculous.

The Super Ego-team :p :

since Jr joined, what have they've done, 2 wins by fuel milage, as also the Jr win should be taken away as your not allowed to pass the pace car under any circumstances unless your the "LD".

Gibbs is the super team, with Toyota backing them and having some of the best Talent, but no-brain drivers, they are the best. the year of the Hendrick domination is over.

Tony knows his run at Gibbs is over, once Lagano is ready for Cup, Gibbs will have 3 young talented drivers in his stable, no need for a guy whos just about ready to give it up.

blakebeatty
3rd July 2008, 21:02
The Super Ego-team :p :

since Jr joined, what have they've done, 2 wins by fuel milage, as also the Jr win should be taken away as your not allowed to pass the pace car under any circumstances unless your the "LD".

the year of the Hendrick domination is over.

harv, since when is third, fifth and sixth in points a shabby performance. They didn't do that on fuel mileage.

MD24
3rd July 2008, 22:03
harv, since when is third, fifth and sixth in points a shabby performance. They didn't do that on fuel mileage.

Please don't confuse harvick#1 with facts :mark:

blakebeatty
4th July 2008, 00:14

hehe, I know, that's why I didn't mention that Hendrick's "lack of domination" even has trumped Kevin's DNF streak ;)

willracefan
4th July 2008, 01:27
stewart should go to rcr for just one year if he wants to drive for his team and wants to leave jgr after this year

harvick#1
4th July 2008, 06:08

with the whole fox crew, I was expecting HMS to take every race this year, at least RC has all his cars in the chase :p :

and after seeing what improvements RCR has made in the past couple weeks, get used to seeing the 29 up front again every week :D

oldhippie
5th July 2008, 17:34
tony stewart missed the boat by letting mark martin get in the 5 car imo
going to haas will be the biggest mistake tony stewart could make

BobbyC
6th July 2008, 18:13
The Haas CNC deal includes the team's own chassis, the 7-post machine, Hendrick power, and his own sponsors.

Tony is gambling but it could pay off but the Hinomaru is dominant this year.

MD24
7th July 2008, 02:37
tony stewart missed the boat by letting mark martin get in the 5 car imo
going to haas will be the biggest mistake tony stewart could make

At the press conference on Friday Rick Hendrick looked uncomfortable when asked about Tony driving the #5. He said that Joe Gibbs is a good friend of his. I got the impression that Rick didn't want to get involved with Tony because he is still under contract with Gibbs.

Sparky1329
7th July 2008, 05:39
This is just my opinion but I think Tony's deal is already signed, sealed and delivered. My guess is that he will make an announcement at Indy. As I've said before I wish him well but he has a lot of pluses going for him so he probably doesn't need my best wishes.

NickFalzone
9th July 2008, 04:46
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3479199

Sparky1329
9th July 2008, 05:26
The only thing that surprises me about that article is that Tony won't be waiting until Indy to make the announcement.

MD24
9th July 2008, 21:24
Thursday 2:30 p.m. ET
Live coverage of Tony's conference

http://www.nascar.com/multimedia/webcast/generic/index.html

jslone
10th July 2008, 05:49
I hate to rain on a parade but I think we well have seen the last of Smoke being competitive for a very very long time.He well be more of an owner then driver.He should have gon to Hendricks because thatr way he could have been a co owner for the 5 and still be competitive for a title.Look at Jeff Goirdon and JJ,Mark Martin and Matt Kenseth(that is if he is still part owner).This sucks but it is what he want and I well respect him for it.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
10th July 2008, 11:10
I hate to rain on a parade but I think we well have seen the last of Smoke being competitive for a very very long time.He well be more of an owner then driver.He should have gon to Hendricks because thatr way he could have been a co owner for the 5 and still be competitive for a title.Look at Jeff Goirdon and JJ,Mark Martin and Matt Kenseth(that is if he is still part owner).This sucks but it is what he want and I well respect him for it.

There's a big difference between being part owner of one car and owning your own operation. There are two reasons why he hasnt gone to Hendrick.

1. He already drive's for what is (at the moment at least) the most competitive team in the garage.

2. Hes not interested in part ownership, to me it looks like he is thinking about where he will be in ten years time. Once he stops driving he'll be a full time owner.

He may also not like driving for Toyota. Which i can get.

I for one commend him for having the balls to do this. I aint a stewart fan either. Hes made the decision to go down a very hard path, if anyone can make it work Tony can. Even in these hard times he'll get a sponsor. Its all about who he can position around him now.

RaceFanStan
10th July 2008, 12:38
... I think we well have seen the last of Smoke being competitive for a very very long time ...
I have to agree, Tony Stewart will struggle for quite a while ...
The Haas' teams are currently 36th & 44th in Owner's Points ...
the drivers have talent but the Haas' #66 & #70 cars are JUNK ...
Tony Stewart will make the 1st 5 races of 2009 due to having his 2 Cup Championships ...
whoever is dumb enough to get into the 2nd car will probably miss a lot of races in 2009 ...
(I expect Tony Stewart will also miss races once he runs out of Previous Champion's Provisionals)
everyone knows how frustrated Tony Stewart can get & how he explodes when he is unhappy ...
Tony Stewart is a super-talented driver who has shown what he can do in good equipment ...
but he just won't be in good equipment unless a big team like Hendrick gives Tony some help ...
:bulb: I wouldn't expect Hendick Motorsports to do any more than sell them engines,
Hendick Motorsports won't make available tech help or new cars to Tony ...
Tony Stewart will see firsthand how the "have-nots" can't keep up with the big teams. :s

Sparky1329
10th July 2008, 15:37
Do you guys ever see a glass that's half full? Sheesh. What a bunch of boobirds!

Tony is light years ahead of some other team owners (Robby Gordon in particular) when they launched their teams. No, it won't be easy. If it was it wouldn't be a challenge. His open-wheel teams are competitive and his race tracks are doing very well. If anybody can do this successfully Smoke can.

By next season the Top 35 rule will be useless. It's almost useless right now. More teams (MWR) will fall by the wayside and the sport will be back to trying to field a full compliment of cars. I think Tony will be just fine.

harvick#1
10th July 2008, 17:14
well unlike with Robby, Michael, Kevin, they all started from scratch, Tony already has all the cars, engines, shops, and tech. thats not really starting your own team, he just bought out a team. samething with Jr. motorsports, when Hendrick basically leased everything to Jr.

Sparky1329
10th July 2008, 17:36
well unlike with Robby, Michael, Kevin, they all started from scratch, Tony already has all the cars, engines, shops, and tech. thats not really starting your own team, he just bought out a team. samething with Jr. motorsports, when Hendrick basically leased everything to Jr.

Exactly. Tony is walking into an already operational if not competitive racing operation. Big difference.

Jr Motorsports isn't the same because it was already set up and running before Jr ever signed a contract with Hendrick. It's just a better team now that it has Hendrick support.

harvick#1
10th July 2008, 17:47
its also been in rumor that Newman will drive the second car with Jack Daniels as the Sponsor, and UPS will sponsor Clint Bowyer next year

Sparky1329
10th July 2008, 19:41
What a fricken mess of a press conference! SPEED couldn't pull off a two-car funeral if you spotted them the hearse. :mad:

jslone
11th July 2008, 06:10
Here is whay I said it will be a very very long time for him to win and or be competitive for a title.Yes Smoke did buy a team,but the difference is that the team was I hate to say it crap,meaning near the bottom of the field,if I remember Bill Elliott was driving for them for a while and even he could not give them a better standing.I hope and pray that Smoke has the car sense that Gibbs does in the shop.He may have to re do everything if he is not happy.

Lemmy-Boy
11th July 2008, 08:59
I dont know about you all but I am sick and tired of these so called nascar fans coming up to me and saying Smoke is done with Gibbs.I tell them this is NAscar at its best and until the deal happens dont believe a word of it.Every link I haveread has said it is a rumour and the damned source close to the information which cant be revealed,wont give up the true information.All the sites I go to have said its a possibility that he might come back to JGR,but then again were there is smoke(hehe)there is fire so who knows.I lioke BS as much as the next guy but this is getting too much.End of my rant on this.I pray it does not happen but who knows.

PWND!!!

Lemmy-Boy
11th July 2008, 09:13

I totally agree with you. Smoke will mostly likely finish with the back markers next year. I hope this doesn't happen, since he's one of my favorite drivers. But in the end, the odds are stacked against him, even with HMS equipment.

A winning program doesn't happen overnight. Getting the right resources & manpower will take years before Stewart-Haas becomes a real contender. And remember, the 2009 season begins less than 7 months from now!

Lemmy-Boy
11th July 2008, 09:16

I totally agree with you. Smoke will mostly likely finish with the back markers next year. Even though he's one of my favorite drivers, the odds are stacked against him, even with HMS equipment.

A winning program doesn't happen overnight. Getting the right resources & manpower will take years before Stewart-Haas becomes a real contender. And remember, the 2009 Cup season begins less than 7 months from now!

Sparky1329
11th July 2008, 16:16
Tony's cars might struggle a little out of the box but I think he'll be fine overall. From what I'm hearing potential CCs and crew members are already beating down his door for job applications.

BobbyC
14th July 2008, 15:14
I think Tony will find success with SHR because of the Hendrick alliance. He will hire the people that will do, and I think some smaller fish at Gibbs might just resign and await the right time to join SHR.

ms0362
25th July 2008, 17:17
He might live to regret this decision in light of the recent downword spiral GM is having. Chevolet was the big push to making this happen. Since he's been with Chevy all of his career, it's understandable why he wanted to leave Gibbs. However, the timing is a little off on this one.

RaceFanStan
25th July 2008, 18:52
In the Sprint Cup Series beginning in 2009,Tony Stewart will drive the #14 Chevrolet Impala SS ...
Office Depot & Old Spice will serve as co-primary sponsors
http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/07/25/tstewart.14.office.depot.old.spice/index.html

Simmi
25th July 2008, 21:32
A couple of plain looking racecars next year for Smoke to say the least. Obviously the sponsors call the shots but I still thought they might have been able to come up with something a bit more eyecatching.

RaceFanStan
26th July 2008, 01:10
I will probably be in the minority but I like the red racecars Tony will drive.
They may not run up front but I think they will at least look good. :D
(It will also be cool to see AJ Foyt's number 14 back on the track.)

Tony Stewart needs to get some good people in place to help get the Haas cars up to speed ...
I guess we will see if Tony Stewart can turn the Haas teams around in 2009 ...
I sure hope Tony can do it but he sure has a lot of work to do between November 2008 & February 2009 :eek:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/00/odos.jpg

RaceFanStan
26th July 2008, 17:08
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/09/tsosod.jpg

Good Looking Cars IMO http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/thum/1u.gif

Sparky1329
26th July 2008, 18:10
I prefer the current Old Spice color to true red but Old Spice products are true red so it's more appropriate. Anyway, I like Smoke no matter what color car he's driving. :D

wedge
26th August 2008, 00:13
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70076

Not much of a surprise there.

colinspooky
28th August 2008, 10:58
good luck to him

RaceFanStan
28th August 2008, 17:27
Joey Logano will drive the #96 Toyota Camry in 5 Sprint Cup Series races for Hall of Fame Racing this year.
Logano is under contract with Joe Gibbs Racing to drive the #20 Toyota in the Sprint Cup Series starting in 2009.

The 5 races that Joey Logano will pilot the #96 Toyota Camry :
Sprint Cup Race 27 ~ September 14th @ Loudon
Sprint Cup Race 29 ~ September 28th @ Kansas
Sprint Cup Race 31 ~ October 11th @ Charlotte
Sprint Cup Race 32 ~ October 18th @ Martinsville
Sprint Cup Race 34 ~ November 02nd @ Texas

NOTE : Hall of Fame Racing buys cars/chassis/etc & rents engines from Joe Gibbs Racing. :eek:
Currently the #96 Toyota Camry is 26th in Owners Points.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/08/27/jlogano.bcoleman.kschrader.hof/index.html

jslone
29th August 2008, 07:00
Damn he had to collaborate with the enemy,that is if Staughbach is still apart owner for Hall of Fame racing.