PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: PCM Confirms Full-Time Entry with Dominguez.

bblocker68
23rd April 2008, 17:01
Per SpeedTV:

INDYCAR: PCM Confirms Full-Time Entry with Dominguez

Written by: RACER Staff http://www.racer.com 04/23/2008 - 10:34 AM
Oxnard, Calif. At 32, Dominguez will finally get the chance to compete in the Indy 500.
After a successful outing in the last-ever Champ Car race at Long Beach, Pacific Coast Motorsports confirmed today that it will switch full-time to the IndyCar Series with driver Mario Dominguez.

The Mexican veteran’s car will have the Mexico City Tourism Board as its primary sponsor and will carry the number 96. The squad will make its debut at the Indianapolis 500, hitting the track for the first time for rookie orientation on May 4.

“I am very excited about this new project,” said Dominguez, 32, who’s never raced in the IndyCar Series and counts two career Champ Car wins. “Racing in the Indy 500 is a childhood dream of mine. I understand I have a big responsibility since I will be driving the Mexico City car. I will be representing the colors of my city and my country in the most important racing series in North America.

“I am very excited to continue my efforts with PCM. We just finished on the podium this weekend and that shows that we are competitive and can be champions together.”

Team owner Tyler Tadevic added: “With our recent success at the Long Beach Grand Prix and with Mario giving me my first podium as a team owner, we couldn’t be more excited, and we can’t wait to get started. This program is an extension of our belief in the Hispanic market and of our belief the Hispanic fans have for open-wheel racing and Mario in particular. This Hispanic demographic is the fastest growing market in the United States and a very important fan base for the IndyCar Series.”

downtowndeco
23rd April 2008, 17:09
You know, it kind of makes me mad. For years now certain "fans" have been telling us that any sort of merger (whether by choice or by collapse) would have been pointless and there would be no benifits. They said that there would be few extra cars (most said 20/21 would start in the IRL if CC collapsed), there would be little media intrest and the ratings would stay the same.

So far we're looking at 26/27 cars, increased ratings, increased press, increased sponsor interesta and overall, a huge wave of momentum for OW racing as NASCAR is begining to sputter a bit.

Tell me. Why did some people fight this so hard?

garyshell
23rd April 2008, 17:11
You know, it kind of makes me mad. For years now certain "fans" have been telling us that any sort of merger (whether by choice or by collapse) would have been pointless and there would be no benifits. They said that there would be few extra cars (most said 20/21 would start in the IRL if CC collapsed), there would be little media intrest and the ratings would stay the same.

So far we're looking at 26/27 cars, increased ratings, increased press, increased sponsor interesta and overall, a huge wave of momentum for OW racing as NASCAR is begining to sputter a bit.

Why bother to ask? The war is over. Put it behind you. The only think such questions do is stir up the pot again.

Gary

BenRoethig
23rd April 2008, 17:18

Because most of those people think that all racing should be a certain way and can't stomach the idea of something different.

23rd April 2008, 17:51
The war is over.

Gary

For us, yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if, in 50 years time, Sanguin is found somewhere in the Burmese jungle with an immaculately prepared Panoz DP01.

NickFalzone
23rd April 2008, 18:58
Don't forget that a couple additional drivers will also be running part-time schedules this year. Scheckter and Fisher will be at Indy, plus a number of the ovals. So late spring, early summer there could be as many as 28-29 on the track.

pits4me
23rd April 2008, 19:24

Good question for Tony George, you should ask him like a several people did at Long Beach. But then if you didn't like the way the question was asked, you'd accuse them of being fanatics because its easier to defend your position. Like it or not, there were TWO sides to the conflict NOT ONE. Many of those certain fans to whom to you refer saw a much bigger picture since neither marketing model was destined for success. There had to be a willingness to adopt change at the highest level. It is and will always revolve around Indy. But it doesn't have to be an oval-centric series. Bash the street festivals all you want, Champ did get the fans into the seats. Almost 170,000 in Long Beach and one of the biggest Thursday, Friday and Saturday crowds I've seen in years. Sunday seemed a little off but that has more to do with the economy than anything else (evidence = the Blue line was packed so many fans could avoid paying $35-$40 for parking).

Why bother to ask? The war is over. Put it behind you. The only think such questions do is stir up the pot again.
Gary

I wish we could put it behind us Gary but many seem to relish the thought that there was actually a winner and a loser here. For those of us that have close friends (or had careers) in the industry, the bitterness is going to take a lot of healing.

Maybe if more of these folks wrote checks to Dallara for spare parts they'd understand why the Panoz was such a user-friendly and more cost-effective solution on which to base the future of open wheel in North America.

Not asking them to adopt the new car right away but 2010 is very close and if ICS powers acknowledged that there are many in the industry that see the DP-01 as a great step forward in chassis development, more bitterness would erode away. To let these cars become a competitive rung in South America, Japan or someplace else is a gut wrencher.

If Lola or Dallara want to continue to sell race cars here, then subcontract the work to Elan or Swift Engineering or put a lower cost manufacturing and distribution program in place in North America. Teams need to avoid paying extortionate import prices and duties. We need to keep as much money in the pockets of the teams and sponsors as possible. TRD, HPD and Cosworth set up factories here. Why not Lola or Dallara?

HPD should look at the state sales sax implications their engine program has versus that of Cosworths. A lesson to be learned, not ignored because of bitterness over pop-off valves that is clearly water under the bridge.

Now back to Mario and PCM. When is someone going to figure out how to put a REAL DYNAMIC HISPANIC RACING CAMPAIGN on the radar?

SarahFan
23rd April 2008, 19:32

Your post is spot on D..... But you were one of the ones you speak of so color me a bit confused

downtowndeco
23rd April 2008, 19:35
Good question for Tony George, you should ask him like a several people did at Long Beach. But then if you didn't like the way the question was asked, you'd accuse them of being fanatics because its easier to defend your position. Like it or not, there were TWO sides to the conflict NOT ONE.

Why so defensive? I'll I'm saying is that the future looks much much brighter than any of the nay sayers (I'm guessing you would have been in that group) ever would have had us believe.

Winners, losers? The winner was the AOW fan, who now gets to enjoy full fields once again, something that, IMO, would have happened four years ago if OWRS hadn't picked up the remains of CART & tried to make a quick buck & stick it to TG at the same time.

VkmSpouge
23rd April 2008, 19:38
Very good to have Pacific Coast Motorsports and Mario Dominguez entering Indycar. The more the better.

downtowndeco
23rd April 2008, 19:38
Your post is spot on D..... But you were one of the ones you speak of so color me a bit confused

I've always said there should be one series, but not one at any cost. What good would it do AOWR to have the sort of 50/50 "shared management" that so many here were fighting for? Can you imagine TG, KK, GF & PG all having to agree on one thing? Fugettaboutit.

BenRoethig
23rd April 2008, 20:13
Good question for Tony George, you should ask him like a several people did at Long Beach. But then if you didn't like the way the question was asked, you'd accuse them of being fanatics because its easier to defend your position. Like it or not, there were TWO sides to the conflict NOT ONE. Many of those certain fans to whom to you refer saw a much bigger picture since neither marketing model was destined for success. There had to be a willingness to adopt change at the highest level. It is and will always revolve around Indy. But it doesn't have to be an oval-centric series. Bash the street festivals all you want, Champ did get the fans into the seats. Almost 170,000 in Long Beach and one of the biggest Thursday, Friday and Saturday crowds I've seen in years. Sunday seemed a little off but that has more to do with the economy than anything else (evidence = the Blue line was packed so many fans could avoid paying $35-$40 for parking).

And how many of these supposed Champ Car fans were tuning in for the next race. You either had a giant caravan with all the fans going to every race or per the 0.3 TV ratings they probably weren't paying much attention to what happened the following race. In the end of the day this is reality: There isn't room enough for two open wheel series and there simply weren't enough North America fans interested in a european style open wheel series to sustain Champ Car. If that isn't good enough, so be it.

BenRoethig
23rd April 2008, 20:14
I've always said there should be one series, but not one at any cost. What good would it do AOWR to have the sort of 50/50 "shared management" that so many here were fighting for? Can you imagine TG, KK, GF & PG all having to agree on one thing? Fugettaboutit.

It would be GF and TG at each others throats, KK trying to play peacemaker and run a series while PG was trying to skim money off the top to do whatever he does.

weeflyonthewall
23rd April 2008, 20:18
Has one series ever been questioned? I thought it was a matter of circumstances and timing. 2003 was neither the right time nor the right circumstance. PCM may not be here if it had gone TG's way back then. More like a Bonanza rerun. TG has matured a lot in 5 years.

garyshell
23rd April 2008, 20:25

Why so defensive? I'll I'm saying is that the future looks much much brighter than any of the nay sayers (I'm guessing you would have been in that group) ever would have had us believe.

Winners, losers? The winner was the AOW fan, who now gets to enjoy full fields once again, something that, IMO, would have happened four years ago if OWRS hadn't picked up the remains of CART & tried to make a quick buck & stick it to TG at the same time.

Tell me, why can't YOU just put this all in the past? Why do you feel compelled to raise the questions? You keep harping about what happened when OWRS bought the remains of CART. It's OVER. That is all in the past. But for some reason it seems you want to keep picking at the scab and then wonder why it raises the hackles of some of the folks from "the nay sayers" group who are still trying to get over it.

Look I can understand your saying these sorts of things in RESPONSE to someone from that camp initiating such a conversation. That makes PERFECT sense. But, I do NOT understand it when YOU initiate the conversation, with things like the first quote above.

Gary

BenRoethig
23rd April 2008, 20:26
PCM might not be here, but some teams that folded just might. But Honestly, things look to be pretty salvageable at this point.

Madmonk
24th April 2008, 05:46
Dominguez is a solid addition and I'm glad the PCM boys will have work in the month of May.

Although I kinda miss Adrian Fernandez, who really impressed me in 04.

weeflyonthewall
24th April 2008, 16:05
Dominguez is a solid addition and I'm glad the PCM boys will have work in the month of May.

Although I kinda miss Adrian Fernandez, who really impressed me in 04.

Maybe Adrian can put a Lowe's car on the Indy grid unless Mario will be driving it.

DazzlaF1
24th April 2008, 17:35
Great news

the more cars on the grid = the more sponsors coming in

The more sponsors coming in = more money for the teams

More money for the teams = better drivers coming into the series

Better drivers coming into the series = Better racing

Better racing = increase in fanbase.