PDA

View Full Version : Barrichello to Indycar/AGR in 2009 - Seat swap with Marco Andretti to Honda F1

Giuseppe F1
23rd April 2008, 13:43
Sooooooo hope this happens :

================================================== ====

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080423085941.shtml

Barrichello's IndyCar option
Honda offer on the table with AGR
23/04/08 08:59

Rubens Barrichello has received an offer to see out his long motor racing career in America, according to reports.

The German newspaper Bild claims the 35-year-old, who next month will set a new benchmark as the longest serving grand prix driver in history, has been asked to run with the Andretti-Green IndyCar team in 2009.

Barrichello's current contract with the F1 team Honda, owned by the Japanese marque that also equips Andretti-Green – and the series - with engines, runs out at the end of 2008.

Bild raises the possibility of a seat 'swap'; Barrichello to IRL in exchange for Andretti-Green's Marco Andretti, the 21-year-old American son of former McLaren driver Michael Andretti, whose own father Mario won the world championship in 1978.

Reportedly, the American broadcaster Speed TV cited Barrichello as confirming the offer.

Marco Andretti has already collected about 900 kilometres of testing in a Honda F1 car.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

CNR
23rd April 2008, 14:10
i can not read to much in to this under the photo

Barrichello keen to remain in Formula One

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080423085941.shtml

ShiftingGears
23rd April 2008, 14:13
Barrichello is decent. Honda won't replacing him with Andretti, who I can't remember as being impressive in the tests. Barrichello to IndyCar is an interesting idea however...

wedge
23rd April 2008, 14:29
Don't remember Sea-bass setting the GP world alight with his tests either....

Marco should've listened to Grandpa and get the test seat and do GP2 at the same time.

Ranger
23rd April 2008, 14:42
Don't remember Sea-bass setting the GP world alight with his tests either....
But Bourdais wasn't going to be replacing an experienced, race-winning driver either... likewise he took 4 titles to get where he is now. Marco on the other hand was beaten by three team-mates last year in a championship winning team. Barrichello won't be replaced for 2009, not by this guy at least.

CNR
23rd April 2008, 14:49
there are the 2 super aguri drivers under contract to honda

keysersoze
23rd April 2008, 16:05
He needs a year as a test driver. Though talented, he is wildly inconsistent in the IRL.

And even though I think Rubens would be quick, the teams need to think about the league's long-term growth when hiring new drivers:

Formula 1 always considers the big (read: financial) picture when new venues are being proposed.

Many on this forum do the same when we say "so-and-so should retire" because the series needs fresh, young faces.

In North America (and nearly all of the races are in North America), the racing is more about personalities than it is about technology.

aryan
23rd April 2008, 16:25
there are the 2 super aguri drivers under contract to honda

None of whom are exactly setting the world on fire either.

Although speaking as a AD fan, what can you expect of them? Running a dog-slow Honda 2007 chassis without any proper testing...

Marco will not be in F1 anytime soon. However Rubens to Indy is interesting and I would like it...

23rd April 2008, 17:43
Bild raises the possibility of a seat 'swap'

Which means it's bollocks.

jens
23rd April 2008, 19:07
Don't underestimate Marco's chances of getting into F1. The doors seem to open more easily for people with famous names. :p :

Rubens in IndyCar would be quite exciting. We have seen several Champ Car top drivers joining F1, it would be interesting to see the reverse - a seasoned (Wilson and Glock went to CCWS, but they had been in F1 only for a little time and couldn't prove themselves properly) F1 driver in IndyCar to see, what he can do there. Champ Car drivers have often struggled in F1, would it be easier for former F1 drivers to join another formula racing series? Recalling Mansell's experience, then why shouldn't Barrichello be successful there? :p :

xtlm
23rd April 2008, 21:14
Recalling Mansell's experience, then why shouldn't Barrichello be successful there? :p :

Mansell was put in the best car, and everyone forgets about season number 2...

anyway

Fittipaldi, Mario and a few other F1 drivers have also succeeded in Indycar, while others have not. The great Indycar drivers never really got a chance to go to F1.

A.F.F.
23rd April 2008, 22:00
How many Andrettis there are anyway?

Tomi
23rd April 2008, 22:16
How many Andrettis there are anyway?

Only 1 who know how to drive a car, but he is too old already.

Tazio
23rd April 2008, 22:42
Which means it's bollocks.

I agree!
Not only that. I can't see Rubins wanting to be a big fish in a small pond!
Could be wrong Just my humble opinnion!

PSfan
24th April 2008, 00:48
Well a Few thoughts:

First, Never thought spinning out on the first lap at Honda's "home" race would leave such a good impression Wonder if this is Button's choice? After last year I would have thought that this would be how Alonso would pick his team-mates, hadn't realised Jensen was that insecure too

Which current AGR have won in Indycars? And which one's haven't?

With the Potential of Super Aguri closing shop, I would think either driver would be higher up on the "Honda F1 driver" ladder. Davidson just for his loyalty, Sato for his spirited race in Montreal last year.

With Rahals win, I would expect (not that its likely) that any F1 team looking towards Indy for talent should probably hold off a little longer before they make any decisions.

Barrichello in Indycars would be great, but considering he will be breaking the most career starts in F1 record this year it may come off as a driver that is to old for F1, be nice if it was a younger F1 race winner, comming over. (But heck once he has some oval experience, once Rubens is to old for Indycars, he can step right into Nascar )

Well Depending on the Super Aguri outcome, if they are still around, and are still partnered up with Honda next year, then it might make a little more sense for Marco to spend a season with that team. Spending a year at Minardi hardly hurt Alonso's career...

markabilly
24th April 2008, 00:58
Marco, ONLY if Honda deems it in the best interest of its image in America to sell cars there...oooppps, I mean only if it is in best intersts of the racing F1 team

Jag_Warrior
24th April 2008, 00:59
You guys are so like yesterday. Everybody like knows that the AGR driver that is all like set for F1 (now that she has won the first pro auto race in her career) is like Danica Patrick.

And I bet she could easily like win that Driving World Championship thingie.

The Bild. Yeah, that's a reliable soruce for news. :dozey:

call_me_andrew
24th April 2008, 01:58
It's hardly news that Barrichello expected to go to IndyCar. He's been talking about that for years.

Everyone expects Marco to go to F1 sooner or later. It's this swapping buisness that's making everying all mixed up and confusing.

Valve Bounce
24th April 2008, 04:27
None of whom are exactly setting the world on fire either.

Although speaking as a AD fan, what can you expect of them? Running a dog-slow Honda 2007 chassis without any proper testing...

If you are trying to cheer me up, you are failing miserably :(

Valve Bounce
24th April 2008, 04:28
You guys are so like yesterday. Everybody like knows that the AGR driver that is all like set for F1 (now that she has won the first pro auto race in her career) is like Danica Patrick.

And I bet she could easily like win that Driving World Championship thingie.

The Bild. Yeah, that's a reliable soruce for news. :dozey:

Yeah, "like!"

woody2goody
24th April 2008, 22:31
Is there any chance of Sato or Davidson ending up at Honda again? Or is it th end of the road for them in F1?

Despite Danica's success, I don't think she has the raw speed of some of the other IndyCar drivers.

I know I'll probably be laughed at for this, but what about some of the 'forgotten men', such as Antonio Pizzonia or Justin Wilson. Even Ernesto Viso?

There are always other possibilities such as Zuber or Grosjean?

dc10
25th April 2008, 00:04
Is there any chance of Sato or Davidson ending up at Honda again? Or is it th end of the road for them in F1?

Despite Danica's success, I don't think she has the raw speed of some of the other IndyCar drivers.

I know I'll probably be laughed at for this, but what about some of the 'forgotten men', such as Antonio Pizzonia or Justin Wilson. Even Ernesto Viso?

There are always other possibilities such as Zuber or Grosjean?

Wasn't it decided that Justin was too tall for F1 cars from a personal safety angle?

jens
27th April 2008, 20:10

I actually think the possibility is quite slight. Sato was there in 2005 and maybe they don't dare to hire him again to put him under pressure in a works team... Davidson could have had a good chance if he had blown Sato away, but I guess if those two drivers are roughly matched, then the Honda bosses could prefer to risk and seek for an unproven talent with a hope that he is a 'real deal'... rather than a driver, whose abilities are known and who might be solid, but not a 'real deal'.

Placid
28th April 2008, 01:19
He needs a year as a test driver. Though talented, he is wildly inconsistent in the IRL.

And even though I think Rubens would be quick, the teams need to think about the league's long-term growth when hiring new drivers:

Formula 1 always considers the big (read: financial) picture when new venues are being proposed.

Many on this forum do the same when we say "so-and-so should retire" because the series needs fresh, young faces.

In North America (and nearly all of the races are in North America), the racing is more about personalities than it is about technology.
Sorry for being rough, but I might go for 1 1/2 years of testing, or a combination of 1 year of GP2 with test for the following year. I also recomend
a full season or so in A1GP.

Next season's A1GP car will be Ferrari power.