PDA

View Full Version : Mosley Keeps McLaren In Last Pit Garage

CNR
23rd April 2008, 08:18
i think 1st pit box before pit exit would be a big advantage.

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=82157

For the second consecutive race weekend, McLaren will at Barcelona again be housed in the farthest pit garages, as per its last place in the 2007 constructors' championship following the spying penalty.
Following a recent letter from FIA president Max Mosley to Bernie Ecclestone, the Mercedes-powered team's special dispensation to slot into the fifth highest garage allocation this year was cancelled after the Malaysian grand prix.
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/themes/PostNuke/images/pix-t.gif

Tazio
23rd April 2008, 08:20
That is the position they earned. I think It would be absurd to change things again!
It is done!

ShiftingGears
23rd April 2008, 08:45
That is the position they earned. I think It would be absurd to change things again!
It is done!

Agreed. It's the price they pay, quite simply.

leopard
23rd April 2008, 09:19
There is probability those in the last pit can make strategy flexibility, but at least the last result didn't justify it, seems it's more a disadvantage.

ArrowsFA1
23rd April 2008, 11:16
Are we going to have this kind of report at every GP this year?

They were placed last in the 2007 WCC so they get the last garage in the pit lane. End of.

Dave B
23rd April 2008, 11:32
It's a fair decision based on their finishing position last year, so long as it's consistent and they don't start moving up and down the pitlane during the season.

SGWilko
23rd April 2008, 12:27
When deciding where McLaren live in the pit garage scheme of things, what language does the old boy count in? ;)

CNR
23rd April 2008, 12:39
it is just that the v8 supercars run it that way with the first team with the pit box before pit exit

Knock-on
23rd April 2008, 13:42
Thank God for that.

Perhaps we can have an end to all the pit swapping antics and let McLaren get on with their season. :)

Hey ioan, my gut has a feeling you wont acknowledge I was right :laugh:

ioan
23rd April 2008, 15:14
Thank God for that.

Perhaps we can have an end to all the pit swapping antics and let McLaren get on with their season. :)

Hey ioan, my gut has a feeling you wont acknowledge I was right :laugh:

Wrong feeling again! :p :

inimitablestoo
23rd April 2008, 20:05
Max is getting quite hot on discipline. They've been bad boys and need to be punished... ;)

Tazio
23rd April 2008, 23:02
Are we going to have this kind of report at every GP this year?
They were placed last in the 2007 WCC so they get the last garage in the pit lane. End of.Totally agree old man. Evidently Bernie is going to continue to lobby for McLaren!
Max (I hope) will continue to do the right thing ;)

This part of the link is kind of in their face!
Meanwhile, it emerged that Force India will unveil a new motor home in Spain this weekend. :laugh:

CNR
28th April 2008, 05:02
itv said they get strate out of pit lane with out using pit lane speed limiter
this would be a big advantage.

cosmicpanda
28th April 2008, 06:36
itv said they get strate out of pit lane with out using pit lane speed limiter
this would be a big advantage.

why?

They then have to run the whole pit lane with it.

ioan
28th April 2008, 08:54
why?

They then have to run the whole pit lane with it.

Think about it! ;)

SGWilko
28th April 2008, 09:48
Think about it! ;)

Put it this way, ALL cars have to pass the pit exit line within the speed limit, so there is no advantage there, unless there is Voodoo involved?

What is an advantage, is being able to - potentially - see how much a competitor (say Ferrari) fills their car up if they pit on the same lap. In fact, the McLaren guys could put that little bit more in, as they wait for the competitior to come down the pit lane - depending on the gap between cars as they pit.

Ranger
28th April 2008, 09:52
What is an advantage, is being able to - potentially - see how much a competitor (say Ferrari) fills their car up if they pit on the same lap. In fact, the McLaren guys could put that little bit more in, as they wait for the competitior to come down the pit lane - depending on the gap between cars as they pit.

I doubt any team would ever have a strategy that ambiguous. :p :

The only advantage at being down the blunt end of the pit lane is that they don't have to worry about the speed limiter upon release (for some circuits anyway).

Tazio
28th April 2008, 09:53
Put it this way, ALL cars have to pass the pit exit line within the speed limit, so there is no advantage there, unless there is Voodoo involved?

What is an advantage, is being able to - potentially - see how much a competitor (say Ferrari) fills their car up if they pit on the same lap. In fact, the McLaren guys could put that little bit more in, as they wait for the competitior to come down the pit lane - depending on the gap between cars as they pit.Exactly! :up:

Tazio
28th April 2008, 10:03
I doubt any team would ever have a strategy [I]that/I] ambiguous. :p :

The only advantage at being down the blunt end of the pit lane is that they don't have to worry about the speed limiter upon release (for some circuits anyway).It's not really a strategy, just a potencial, though not likely scenario! But given the oportunity it can work. I remember Monza 2006 Nick, and Fred pitted on the same lap That was the race that Fred had the 5 position penalty for allegedly blocking Massa in quali.Nick was runing ahead of Fred. Sauber short filled Nick to get him out in front of Fred watching when Renault pulled their hose. It worked, except Nick got a penalty for speeding in the pitlane so he lost the position on the drive through That was the race that RK got his first podium!

nigelred5
28th April 2008, 14:33
At least in American racing, the advantage is always to have the last pit stall, not the first. You have to slow faster before the line to hit the first stall and then have to leave the pit under the pit speed limits the entire lane. Last pit out simply hits the speed limit at the line, runs the length of the pit under pit speed, most of the field is thinned and you get a clear shot into the pit, especially if running up front. They have the advantage of knowing strategy behind them so there is time to make adjustments to the strategy. You can't pass in pit lane, so on exit, the driver simply nails it and races straight out of the pit rarely having to worry about exceeding the pit speed limit, saving position.

First pit in F1 is nothing but prestige.

GP-M3
30th April 2008, 05:28
I don't think it's much of a disadvantage, but the one that is there is this: If both cars arrive at the exact same spot in pit lane at the same time, then the car which started closer to the beginning of pit-lane will always be on the "racing line" ie: on pit lane, and the other car would need to yield. So there is that small advantage. Otherwise, yes, I do agree being in the cheap seats like Big Mac, you can watch the other guys come down the lane, and fuel until the last instant then release your guy so he gets to the 'racing line' before the other guy. All things being exactly equal, he would have slightly less time then those with early spots in pit lane.

Knock-on
30th April 2008, 12:23
I don't think it's much of a disadvantage, but the one that is there is this: If both cars arrive at the exact same spot in pit lane at the same time, then the car which started closer to the beginning of pit-lane will always be on the "racing line" ie: on pit lane, and the other car would need to yield. So there is that small advantage. Otherwise, yes, I do agree being in the cheap seats like Big Mac, you can watch the other guys come down the lane, and fuel until the last instant then release your guy so he gets to the 'racing line' before the other guy. All things being exactly equal, he would have slightly less time then those with early spots in pit lane.

First part is correct but the fuel rigs put in a pre-detirmined weight of fuel. You can't just say:

"Keep going, keep going. Right, pull out NOW!!" and off you go :)

Robinho
30th April 2008, 13:00
First part is correct but the fuel rigs put in a pre-detirmined weight of fuel. You can't just say:

"Keep going, keep going. Right, pull out NOW!!" and off you go :)

aah yes, the rhythm method of refuelling! ;)

dc10
30th April 2008, 13:06

Haha

Azumanga Davo
30th April 2008, 16:02

How was that silly idea conceived then?

Bagwan
30th April 2008, 16:50
"Keep your friends close , and your enemies closer" is a phrase that I think is the most important part of the placement in pit lane .

Box #1 has no obstructions in front on the way in . It has none of the mayhem of other teams posturing for other cars to come in or out . This , from a racing point of view , is important , as the extreme drop in speed to the limitter upon entrance to pitlane is dis-orienting enough to be of advantage to mitigate for the driver .
Once settled , the lollypop(or flashy lights in Ferrari's case)is easier to run and get right , as most pit entrances , by design , are well sighted . It's a lot harder to watch for guys coming out of the box than down the entrance lane . Less screw-ups means better consistency , and can mean a championship .

But , to keep the enemy close , means that you can react quickly when a counter move is necessary . That's where you can foil a plan most effectively .
Milli-seconds count , and if the message takes another moment to communicate , you are that far behind .

inimitablestoo
30th April 2008, 20:01
The other potential advantage is under safety car conditions, if everyone's due in pit lane. With McLaren likely to be fighting a bunch of teams (Ferrari, BMW, Renault) clustered at one end of the pit lane and therefore fighting, and possibly tripping, over one another, it could get its cars in and out (well, the first one at least) no problem.

Incidentally, if Super Aguri do go missing in action, presumably McLaren gets an easy passage into its pits as well as out of them. Perhaps they should accept a few technical dossiers more often... ;)

inimitablestoo
1st May 2008, 17:09
Incidentally, if Super Aguri do go missing in action, presumably McLaren gets an easy passage into its pits as well as out of them. Perhaps they should accept a few technical dossiers more often... ;)

Whoever posted that is an idiot; Force India is next to McLaren, not Super Aguri, so it makes no difference. Ah hold on, it was me... :s