PDA

View Full Version : Kansas race, first big pile up

NickFalzone
23rd April 2008, 04:00
It's been smooth sailing so far, but I'd put money on Kansas being a major clusterfk. No real reason just a hunch. Ok, reason might be that the TKs, the Wheldons, even some of the CC have a little bit to prove this weekend as far as the championship. Not going to be pretty.

tbyars
23rd April 2008, 04:11
Uh, these guys go 200 mph + for a living. What you say makes no sense.

I just bet they are ALL smart enough to figure out that they don't prove anything if they crash out of the race.

As a result, they will race conservativly for the first 80% of the race. By the time the last 20% comes, the field will be spread out with the backmarkers several laps down. This is where most of the former CC drivers will be, although I anticipate fewer than were there at Homestead as a few cars start to get the handle on the ovals.

At that point, no one will risk their only car to "prove" anything.

IWUTitan90
23rd April 2008, 04:20
I have read several "theories" that Dale Jr. is going to win this week to steal back the spotlight. So are you saying the ICS is planning a counter attack by staging a 'Dega style "big one"?

:cheese:

Hoop-98
23rd April 2008, 04:26
It's been smooth sailing so far, but I'd put money on Kansas being a major clusterfk. No real reason just a hunch. Ok, reason might be that the TKs, the Wheldons, even some of the CC have a little bit to prove this weekend as far as the championship. Not going to be pretty.
you can only hope eh

MAX_THRUST
23rd April 2008, 12:43
The assumptionn that CCWS cars will be slow again is perhaps a little PREsumptious. Homnestead teams were playing it cool.

These guys will be going faster this time out, the top CCWS teams will be ahead of the bottom IRL teams, for certain.

Setting a car up for a track with 10 corners is harder than setting a car up to deal with two long corners. Things will come together and it'll be a great race. I wish people would stop this IRL versus CCWS thing. Its old news.

ITS ALL IRL NOW!!!! and thats from a CCWS fan.

bblocker68
23rd April 2008, 15:24

Is Milka racing again this weekend?

MAX_THRUST
23rd April 2008, 15:27
top response

ezhop7
24th April 2008, 02:46
Kansas doe not normally have a lot of crashes. In fact Indy will have more wrecks than Kansas. I suspect Texas and Iowa will be the two beast that claim the most write offs!

tbyars
24th April 2008, 03:01
The assumptionn that CCWS cars will be slow again is perhaps a little PREsumptious. Homnestead teams were playing it cool.

These guys will be going faster this time out, the top CCWS teams will be ahead of the bottom IRL teams, for certain.

Setting a car up for a track with 10 corners is harder than setting a car up to deal with two long corners. Things will come together and it'll be a great race. I wish people would stop this IRL versus CCWS thing. Its old news.

ITS ALL IRL NOW!!!! and thats from a CCWS fan.

Max, we'll just need to wait until qualifying and see what happens then. As I said, I think a few of the former CCWS teams will have found a handle on the oval package. I'm not even sure it will be the "top" former CCWS teams. Some folks are just going to start to hit the combo and they will step up.

I do disagree that anyone was holding back at Homestead or playing it cool, and will let let lose at Kansas. And I also don't agree that I'm characterizing this as an IRL vs. CCWS question. I am, however, characterizing it as an EXPERIENCE question, and I think we can all agree the former CCWS teams don't yet have that experience on the ovals.

As far as setting up a car for "10 corners rather than 2" being harder, I would just challenge you to do it. Frankly, I think you are WAY off base. Easier and more difficult don't have anything to do with it. The process would be be characterized as different, not harder or easier.

I'll just remind you that, with DECADES of experience, AJ Foyt couldn't do it, and finally, after years of failure, finally had to hire a professional degreed engineer to get his car right when it came to setting up for "2 corners."

It's a different process that takes a huge log of experience you don't get on road courses. I have no doubt the CCWS teams will catch up, but there is NO substitute for that experience.