PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Miss Steals Danicas Thunder At Long Beach

pits4me
21st April 2008, 02:01
Ironic that there has been no mention of Simona De Silvestro's spectacular Atlantic victory earlier today at Long Beach. She pressured frontrunner Bomarito in the early stages. A much stronger fireld than eaith Danica Patrick or Katherine Legge faced. What a great beginning for Atlantics in 2008.

jimispeed
21st April 2008, 03:22
Ironic that there has been no mention of Simona De Silvestro's spectacular Atlantic victory earlier today at Long Beach. She pressured frontrunner Bomarito in the early stages. A much stronger fireld than eaith Danica Patrick or Katherine Legge faced. What a great beginning for Atlantics in 2008.

When is this televised??

Sounds like a hard fought victory!!

My favorite kind!!

Vegasguy
21st April 2008, 03:28
From the Website -
April 20 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach

TV Dates and times to be announced.

pits4me
21st April 2008, 03:42
http://www.atlanticchampionship.com/

LONG BEACH, Calif. (April 20, 2008) - Less than 24 hours after Atlantic Championship graduate Danica Patrick earned her first career Indy Racing League IndyCar Series victory in Japan, second-year Swiss driver Simona De Silvestro became the second woman in the 34-year history of the Cooper Tires Presents The Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda to win a race with her victory in the Imperial Capital Bank Atlantic Challenge of Long Beach.

After starting from the front row for the first time in her Atlantic career, De Silvestro took the lead from polesitter Jonathan Bomarito on Lap 24 of what would be a 38-lap race when gearbox issues forced Bomarito into an off-course excursion in Turn 1 at the end of the Shoreline Drive straightaway. The race's only full-course caution period for debris set the stage for second-place running Alan Sciuto to challenge for the lead on the restart, but De Silvestro pulled confidently away at the drop of the green flag and went on to win by 1.285 seconds.

De Silvestro joins Katherine Legge as the only women to win races in Atlantic Championship competition. Legge owns a total of three Atlantic victories, the last of which came at San Jose on July 31, 2005. Legge also picked up her first career Atlantic win at Long Beach in 2005. In addition to it being De Silvestro's first victory, it was also the first Atlantic win for Newman Wachs Racing, which came into the series in 2006.

"It was very tough weekend, especially on Friday, but we got everything together," De Silvestro said. "I worked on myself also from Friday to Saturday, and it helped a lot. For the race, I was pretty confident, because the car felt really good. I just had to keep it on the track. Bomarito made a mistake, so I got that chance and I could pass him. On the restart, I was a little bit nervous, because I'd never done a restart (as the leader). I thought maybe Alan would come close, but I think I did a good job and just kept going. It's awesome. It's an awesome weekend because Danica won and I won. It's perfect. Congratulations to Danica as well."

Equaling his career-best Atlantic result was Sciuto with his second-place run in the No. 17 Deans Ultra Plug machine for Genoa Racing. It was an especially sweet result for the third-year Atlantic driver, as he makes his home in nearby Orange, Calif.

"Simona drove a great race," Sciuto said. "She was really consistent, so I knew I'd have to put really good laps together and just try to stay there and almost wait for a mistake. Once the restart came, I definitely thought there'd be a window, but she got a great restart and just drove a perfect race. I just had to do everything I could do to stay in second."

gofastandwynn
21st April 2008, 05:54
Stole her thunder?

I saw a girl win a Yamaha Sportsman go-kart race today, I guess she stole Danica's thunder too... :rolleyes:

Rudy Tamasz
21st April 2008, 08:34
Stole her thunder?

I saw a girl win a Yamaha Sportsman go-kart race today, I guess she stole Danica's thunder too... :rolleyes:

What's the reason for getting so defensive? Are you hiding some weakness inside, me dear friend? ;)

JTK
21st April 2008, 10:28
Yes, great win for Simona and she's only 19!! Would be nice if Motors TV could show the Atlantic series.

There are also female drivers Ana Beatriz (who has already finished 3rd in one of the races) and Cyndie Allemann in the Indy Light Series. What about this on UK TV?.

21st April 2008, 14:33
Ironic that there has been no mention of Simona De Silvestro's spectacular Atlantic victory earlier today at Long Beach.

Why is it ironic?

Romain Grosjean won the GP2 Asia series in Bahrain two weeks ago, but for obvious reasons the headlines the next day were about the Formula One race.

For someone who would have us believe that they are astute when it comes to marketing, I find it strange that you think it's ironic that the winner of a support series gets no coverage on the weekend that, like it or not, open-wheel history has been made.

Dr. Krogshöj
21st April 2008, 16:08
What's the reason for getting so defensive? Are you hiding some weakness inside, me dear friend? ;)

I don't think so, but somebody should tell him the war's over. (Anyone seen Who Finds a Friend Finds a Treasure with Bud Spencer and Terence Hill?)

BTW, I noticed over this weekend, when Champ Car came back for one last hooray, some posters (you know, there are no them and us) felt the urgent need to switch to attacking mode and insult transition fans one last time, pouring some salt into their wounds. You know, there are bad winners as well, not only bad loosers.

bblocker68
21st April 2008, 17:01
Congrats to Simona!!! It is no easy feat to beat guys like Bommarito and Summerton. Kudos!!

garyshell
21st April 2008, 17:32
BTW, I noticed over this weekend, when Champ Car came back for one last hooray, some posters (you know, there are no them and us) felt the urgent need to switch to attacking mode and insult transition fans one last time, pouring some salt into their wounds. You know, there are bad winners as well, not only bad loosers.

No, please say it isn't so. There can't poissibly be any bad winners here. Oh no! <cough> helix <cough>

Gary

[The above message brought to you by the international sarcasm dept.]

pits4me
21st April 2008, 19:37
Why is it ironic?

Romain Grosjean won the GP2 Asia series in Bahrain two weeks ago, but for obvious reasons the headlines the next day were about the Formula One race.

For someone who would have us believe that they are astute when it comes to marketing, I find it strange that you think it's ironic that the winner of a support series gets no coverage on the weekend that, like it or not, open-wheel history has been made.

Indy races typically mention the results of its key development series, the Indy Pro/Indy Lights winner.

As far back as I can remember, this is the first Champ Car telecast where there was no mention or highlight shown of the Atlantic Championship results or winner. In 2005, Legge had considerable air time as the first female winner of a US based profesional open wheel series of any kind.

That is why its "ironic" (poignantly contrary to what was expected or intended).

Along comes mergification and the Atlantics are supposed to ride off into the sunset with Nigel's boys and some of the best up and coming open wheel talent in the country. Sorry, that is totally unacceptable.

It was fitting that Bob Varsha gave Swiss driver Simona De Silvestro the key recognition she earned on Speed Report. It just goes to show how detached Reid and Goodyear are from the open wheel community in its entirety.