PDA

View Full Version : Nelson needs to be in the series.

seppefan
20th April 2008, 14:11
Here is hoping Nelson Philippe secures a ride in the IRL for 08 & on. He is a real asset to the series and brings enormous fan support while being a gentleman and a fast driver.Maybe Keith Wiggins will run two cars, who knows but I for one hope to see him on the grid. Good guy and an ambassador for the sport.

all13d
20th April 2008, 14:17
++ to that. He won a race in '06, he should have been in the series last year; it's time someone signed drivers based on ability rather than on the depth of their pockets.

millencolin
20th April 2008, 14:43
Any driver that wins the Gold Coast Indy is a driver that I hold in high regard. So for that reason only, i would love to see Nelson in the new series!

DBell
20th April 2008, 14:52
I think Nelson has some talent and would be worthy of a drive also. However, I think he hurts himself by not being more aggressive in searching for a ride. There is a lot to be said for hanging around the paddock when your jobless. Look at Servia last year. If he's not hanging around and bugging people for a ride, he may have missed an opportunity to step in at Forsythe in Long Beach. Nelson seems to really enjoy the lifestyle and coming from a wealthy family makes me wonder if he's hungry enough to realize his potential.

Chamoo
20th April 2008, 15:08
I think Nelson has some talent and would be worthy of a drive also. However, I think he hurts himself by not being more aggressive in searching for a ride. There is a lot to be said for hanging around the paddock when your jobless. Look at Servia last year. If he's not hanging around and bugging people for a ride, he may have missed an opportunity to step in at Forsythe in Long Beach. Nelson seems to really enjoy the lifestyle and coming from a wealthy family makes me wonder if he's hungry enough to realize his potential.

Nelson was at Long Beach last year.

Nelson took the rookie physicals for Indy this year already, maybe he could be in a second HVM car?

seppefan
20th April 2008, 15:27

I agree but he does ! As Chammoo says he took the IRL physical, was at the unification press conference, goes to races when he does not have a drive and does everything you suggest. He just said end og 06, I dont want to carry on paying for a drive as I am a winner now. Interesting Keith Wiggins is running him and not Dan Clarke at LB. He is tryer and any team that picks him up will hire a winner.

bblocker68
20th April 2008, 18:35
He would definitely be an asset and I'd really like to see him in an IndyCar.

Ironcurtainantihero
20th April 2008, 21:45
If you recall the old Champ Car days-2005 to be exact-Nelson Phillppe got his ride that year with what was then Mi-Jack Conquest Racing because his family was paying for the ride. He sat out last year because he was tired of doing that. Unfortunately, Keith Wiggins doensn't-and never has-had the ability to pick drivers on the basis of talent instead of how much money they're bringing. What I mean by that is that Wiggins is, like Derrick Walker, a person without the independent wealth or connections to finance his racing endeavors.

It would be nice to see Nelson in the IndyCar series, but unless he's bringing money, I don't think it's going to happen.

Placid
21st April 2008, 04:13
Nelson ain't the only one, but another driver deserving a ride is Long Beach runner-up Franck Montagny.

Simon Pagenaud has bolted to ALMS.

EagleEye
21st April 2008, 16:14
I was very much against the young French rich ride buyer/rich-boy Phillipe when he entered the Champcar scene. I rode him pretty hard here and elsewhere. Called him a few nasty nicknames as well, because his wealth at the time exceeded his ability, and his rockstar attitude was a bit out of place in the paddock, at least for a back marker.

Then he started working at the craft, culminating with a great 2006 season. While his win at Australia was well deserved, his drive at Milwaukee made me eat crow (tastes like chicken, btw). I gave him a hug and thumbs up there and made peace with him, and he has earned the right to be paid to drive. The rockstar persona was a front for a decent and friendly person, with an engaging personality.

Did I say the crow tasted like chicken? I’ve been spot on about many things, but I missed the boat here. Would love to have him back full time!

DrDomm
21st April 2008, 16:22
Yeah, he should be in the series. But I think we'd all agree that the lineup sure could be tweaked quite a bit.

keysersoze
21st April 2008, 17:15
Nelson was the only guy I cheered for yesterday. What happened to him at the hairpin? Teams were in the pit window--did he run out of fuel?

BrentJackson
22nd April 2008, 02:42
Nelson is a man who deserves to be in Indycars. I got on his case pretty hard back then, too. But he spent 2005 and 2006 earning his place by getting better every weekend. Then he won Surfers, and no fluke either - Tracy, Dominguez and Tagliani were hammer down trying to catch him, and didn't succeed.

HVM has got the offer of the second chassis still there, maybe Nelson will get the family to pay one last time and get his foothold with HVM. A few top-grade performances and Wiggins will have his money for '09, and Nelson will be in the series to stay.

TioWoody
22nd April 2008, 03:36
Yeah, give the kid a whole lot of credit - he would bring some real fun and talent to the series - but why did he cut his hair?

pits4me
22nd April 2008, 03:37
++ to that. He won a race in '06, he should have been in the series last year; it's time someone signed drivers based on ability rather than on the depth of their pockets.

Many thought with unification, sponsorship would be easier to come by. Not according to some HVM folks.

weeflyonthewall
22nd April 2008, 03:39
I was very much against the young French rich ride buyer/rich-boy Phillipe when he entered the Champcar scene. I rode him pretty hard here and elsewhere. Called him a few nasty nicknames as well, because his wealth at the time exceeded his ability, and his rockstar attitude was a bit out of place in the paddock, at least for a back marker.

Then he started working at the craft, culminating with a great 2006 season. While his win at Australia was well deserved, his drive at Milwaukee made me eat crow (tastes like chicken, btw). I gave him a hug and thumbs up there and made peace with him, and he has earned the right to be paid to drive. The rockstar persona was a front for a decent and friendly person, with an engaging personality.

Did I say the crow tasted like chicken? I’ve been spot on about many things, but I missed the boat here. Would love to have him back full time!

Amen.