PDA

View Full Version : Ah crap

Daniel
15th April 2008, 12:35
Looks like some poor sods are going to have to go without food so we can drive our cars around now :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7347142.stm

Garry Walker
18th April 2008, 16:43
So let me get this straight.
Food prices are rising. Many people are starving.
Yet they want biofuels.
Am I the only one seeing a certain ethical problem here?

Daniel
18th April 2008, 16:53
So let me get this straight.
Food prices are rising. Many people are starving.
Yet they want biofuels.
Am I the only one seeing a certain ethical problem here?
Well no one else seems to think it's a big enough problem to warrant a reply on a forum. I find that a tad worrying. As soon as there's a rise in fuel prices people are more than willing to talk about it. At the end of the day if you can't afford to put fuel in your car you might have to make less trips to the supermarket or trips out. If someone doesn't have enough food they DIE.

Garry Walker
18th April 2008, 16:58
Well no one else seems to think it's a big enough problem to warrant a reply on a forum. I find that a tad worrying. As soon as there's a rise in fuel prices people are more than willing to talk about it. At the end of the day if you can't afford to put fuel in your car you might have to make less trips to the supermarket or trips out. If someone doesn't have enough food they DIE.

Yeah, I agree. I am quite shocked how this bio-fuels idea has gotten so popular, I can`t comprehend it at all. Food is a basic need, fuel is a luxury.

But the fun with food prices has just begun, so all hail the wonderful biofules. Who cares if people won`t be able to afford to buy food and eat, as long as we have the bio-fuels. That will sort it all.

Maybe some pics of starving people should be sent to people behind these ideas.

KILOHMUNNS
18th April 2008, 17:25
I agree. Maybe they should spend some time looking into making fuel from all the crap we throw away every year into land fill sites. Kills two birds with one stone then.

futuretiger9
19th April 2008, 11:07
Whilst energy conservation, recycling etc have a part to play in combatting the problems we face as a planet, surely we also have to address the unsustainable growth in the world's population?

rah
19th April 2008, 16:57
Bio fuels are an ok idea if done right. Ie food based bio fuels are a no brainer. But other sources such as grasses, compost or waste paper are good ideas. Juts have to watch the deforestation.