PDA

View Full Version : Dalyight Savings Time

Daniel
12th April 2008, 06:42
Am I the only one who thinks daylight savings is stupid? :confused:

Firstly why have daylight savings in summer when there's already so much daytime? Why not have it in Winter where people are genuinely wishing there was more daytime in the afternoon? Seems a tad counter-intuitive to me!

Secondly it makes it a lot more difficult to go to sleep when it's still light outside for people who don't are already too tired through working to enjoy that extra hour of idyllic daytime with the family doing family activities outside. :dozey: I suspect if I had a family I'd be even less likely to use the extra hour.

Thirdly we're not stupid. If I want to go to Sainsburys I do so. I don't think "Oh crap it's dark" and don't go. Us humans are as animals go fairly advanced and we can do our own thing. Perhaps in the days where people were programmed to get up at 7 and be back inside when the sun went down this was a good idea but humankind has moved on since then. We've got the internets and so on for gods sake!

The changover period. Did Caroline change the clock in the kitchen? Did my PC update? If not is the time on the Sky Box correct? Should I call the talking clock? WTF's the number for the talking clock in the UK?

Just seems to me that DST was enforced upon a lot of people who don't care whether it's daytime or not by people who like daytime. Personally I loved it last year in winter where there was an hour to go till the end of work and it was pitch black. I myself would have no problem giving up an hour of night time in winter for those who want an extra hour of daylight. But when you're this far North (we're not even that far North tbh) nightime in summer is a precious thing and being robbed of that hour doesn't help me at all. Why couldn't a night time person like myself have come up with an idea to plunge us all into darkness for longer during waking hours? Just seems like one of those things that just happens and every year people get mildly annoyed twice a year but nothing seems to happen about it.

P.S You don't get an extra hour's sleep when clocks go back because your body clock doesn't change over straight away so no silly "I get an hour's extra sleep" nonsense please :p

gadjo_dilo
12th April 2008, 07:19
When they introduced daylight savings they weren't thinking of our personal comfort but of saving energy.
Don't know if changing hour is a good or a bad thing but unlike you I'm a day time person ( I may say I'm a solar person as I can't stand nights or cloudy days ). I hate the winter days when I leave home on dark and come back also on dark and I hate to leave the house when it's dark. I love the long summer days when it's 22 o'clock but not completely dark and I can still wander through a park.

Valve Bounce
12th April 2008, 07:33
Daylight saving gives you a longer day, where you still have a reasonably dark morning to sleep. If you didn't have daylight saving, it would be daylight at four thirty in the morning.

And last, but not least, daylight saving has been identified as a means of energy saving and was used during winter months in Korea in the late seventees.

12th April 2008, 07:46
Daylight saving ended here last weekend. On Monday after shopping I drove the car into the garage and noticed that I hadn't changed the clock. I couldn't see very well (didn't have my glasses and the buttons are tiny) so I put all of the car's interior lights on. I altered the clock, got out of the car, locked the doors, shut the garage and on Tuesday..........yep, you guessed it, flat battery. :mad:

Daniel
12th April 2008, 07:49
Thing is it's easy to sleep while it's light. But not so easy to get to sleep while it's light. The energy saving aspects are debatable also. I think the idea of doing it in Winter like you say the Korean's did makes more sense. Well to me it does.

gadjo_dilo
12th April 2008, 08:32
Thing is it's easy to sleep while it's light. But not so easy to get to sleep while it's light.

It depends on person. During summer I can't sleep after 6 o'clock and I sleep in a very luminous room. In the winter time I can sleep tilll 9 living in a dark room.

Drew
12th April 2008, 08:53
I live about 25 miles away from Portugal. Portugal uses the same time as Britain and Spain is an hour ahead. That always confuses me :confused:

Valve Bounce
12th April 2008, 09:39
Thing is it's easy to sleep while it's light. But not so easy to get to sleep while it's light. The energy saving aspects are debatable also. I think the idea of doing it in Winter like you say the Korean's did makes more sense. Well to me it does.

In Melbourne, in DEC and JAN it stays light until around 9 and it's great to take the dog to the park for a play with his mates.

Now, it is dark well before 6.30, and I don't fancy taking him into the park while it is dark. So, Benny misses out on his playtime.

jso1985
12th April 2008, 21:15
I live about 25 miles away from Portugal. Portugal uses the same time as Britain and Spain is an hour ahead. That always confuses me :confused:

Daylight saving times can create some crazy time differences between countries that use DST and ones who doesn't.
For example Arica in Chile is just some 10 miles south of Tacna in Peru but during summer Arica is 2 hours ahead, same happens with Tupiza in Bolivia and La Quiaca in Argentina, you can see the other city from a tall building even if they're 2 hours ahead :crazy:

Easy Drifter
13th April 2008, 20:33
First time we raced in Edmonton in June somebody woke up and it was full daylight. We all got dressed to go to the track and then looked at a clock. Wasn't even 4 am! It hadn't got dark till after 11.
Sun. night we used to catch the 'red eye special' at about 1.30 am. By the time we were at 3000 feet it was daylight.

Mark
13th April 2008, 21:55
It was not about saving energy so much as war. During the first world war munitions were mde in factories which required lots of daylight as the lighting available at the time sucked. The Germans changed their clocks to give an extra hour of daylight in he evening allowing higher productivity. Once they had done so the UK followed.

These days it is done to ensure that it is always light at 8am and not dark until 4pm which means school children can come and go from school in the light. They tried doing away with changing the clocks but the increased number of child deaths due to road accidents was significant.

millencolin
14th April 2008, 00:16
I love daylight savings! But here in QLD we dont get it because of the demands of the farmers. They say it messes with the cows and their eating habits. BOLLOCKS! since when do cows have a sense of time!

I would love a summer where its daylight when i go out on the town. A summer where I can play beach cricket till there is so much sand in my jocks that it becomes very irratating. Yet even though most people in the south east queensland region want daylight savings, we dont get it!!!

Daniel
14th April 2008, 00:31
These days it is done to ensure that it is always light at 8am and not dark until 4pm which means school children can come and go from school in the light. They tried doing away with changing the clocks but the increased number of child deaths due to road accidents was significant.

Thing is during summer it's always light from 8am-4am regardless of whether you have DST or not.

Valve Bounce
14th April 2008, 00:49
Thing is during summer it's always light from 8am-4am regardless of whether you have DST or not.

Boy!! you do live in some weird places :eek:

Daniel
14th April 2008, 00:50
Bah it's late! 8am-4pm :)

Rollo
14th April 2008, 02:15
Firstly why have daylight savings in summer when there's already so much daytime? Why not have it in Winter where people are genuinely wishing there was more daytime in the afternoon? Seems a tad counter-intuitive to me!

Think of the MCC.

Cricket is played during the summer, and if the over rate isn't fast enough, where are they added back to? The end of the day :D Anything that facilitates cricket can only be a grand device. Daylight Savings Time is man's control over time itself for the most important things in life...

In the winter you need it to get dark earlier so that football grounds can switch the lights on. There's nothing worse than playing football in fading light.

I agree with Millencollin, what sense of time do cows have? Most of the time, they're hardly even aware of where they are, much less of what time it is. I think it would be tremendously difficult to confuse a cow, for that would require it to actually think in the first place.

Valve Bounce
14th April 2008, 05:05
I love daylight savings! But here in QLD we dont get it because of the demands of the farmers. They say it messes with the cows and their eating habits. BOLLOCKS! since when do cows have a sense of time!

I can vouch for this because a very good friend of mine from a place called Banana (fair dinkum) used the same argument when I queried him about daylight saving not agreed to in Queensland.

However, to give them credit, Queenslanders have accepted the wheel wholeheartedly, although they are still suspicious of the internal combustion engine.

Mark
14th April 2008, 07:55

Yes, but changing the clocks gives you an extra hour of daylight in the evening without compromising the 8am sunrise time. For most people an extra hour of daylight in the evening is a Good Thing :p

millencolin
14th April 2008, 11:36
However, to give them credit, Queenslanders have accepted the wheel wholeheartedly, although they are still suspicious of the internal combustion engine.

yeah, we also have the best football teams, provide a large chunk of players for the Australian cricket team, the highest attended annual sporting event in the best location on earth, and somehow everyone seems to be moving here as SouthEast queensland is being overrun by southeners. WE must be doin something right... It's ok, I can sense you're jelousy. Here, let me shout you a cold XXXX while I enjoy my warmer winters. :p :

Valve Bounce
14th April 2008, 13:13
yeah, we also have the best football teams, provide a large chunk of players for the Australian cricket team, the highest attended annual sporting event in the best location on earth, and somehow everyone seems to be moving here as SouthEast queensland is being overrun by southeners. WE must be doin something right... It's ok, I can sense you're jelousy. Here, let me shout you a cold XXXX while I enjoy my warmer winters. :p :

You also have a mental block which stops at the NSW border. But, humour me please: which highest attended sporting event are you referring to, please, because the Grand Final is held at the MCG, not Queensland. :rolleyes:

.........and I prefer our cool winters, thank you!!

millencolin
14th April 2008, 14:29
You also have a mental block which stops at the NSW border. But, humour me please: which highest attended sporting event are you referring to, please, because the Grand Final is held at the MCG, not Queensland. :rolleyes:

.........and I prefer our cool winters, thank you!!

Youd think being a motorsport forums that you would guess that...

INDY

lol :p :

Camelopard
14th April 2008, 23:01
the highest attended annual sporting event in the best location on earth, :p :

Surfers Paradise, "best location on earth"? Don't make me laugh. :)

Valve Bounce
14th April 2008, 23:55
Youd think being a motorsport forums that you would guess that...

INDY

lol :p :

First of all, I wouldn't call that a sporting event, and secondly, it sure as heck doesn't compare with F1 at Albert Park.

But just to satisfy my curiosity, how many paying customers turned up for race day? I really havn't been following INDY at all.

Rollo
14th April 2008, 23:56
I would like to defend the great state of NSW in all of this by saying that as a state we're morally vacuous and culturally bankrupt. As for daylight savings?

Well, those evenings at the SCG look far nicer than the G, because someone in all their wisdom demolished all the character that the ground had. The Cricket Ground in Sydney still looks like a mish-mash :D

Valve Bounce
15th April 2008, 00:03
I would like to defend the great state of NSW in all of this by saying that as a state we're morally vacuous and culturally bankrupt. As for daylight savings?

Well, those evenings at the SCG look far nicer than the G, because someone in all their wisdom demolished all the character that the ground had. The Cricket Ground in Sydney still looks like a mish-mash :D

And Sydney can boast having Barry Hall. :eek:

Daniel
15th April 2008, 00:03
And Sydney can boast to have Barry Hall. :eek:
Bogan of the year :rolleyes:

Man should be in jail, not on a football field.

Camelopard
15th April 2008, 00:57
Bogan of the year :rolleyes:

Man should be in jail, not on a football field.

How things change, when he played for the Saints and took out some Sydney player he was a thug, now he plays for Sydney and he is a SAINT in the eyes of Swans supporters. Like most other Sydney players who seem to get away with more than other players when it comes to fronting the judiciary (Goodes especially), I reckon he'll get a slap on the wrist, not the broken one though. :D

millencolin
15th April 2008, 01:06
First of all, I wouldn't call that a sporting event, and secondly, it sure as heck doesn't compare with F1 at Albert Park.

But just to satisfy my curiosity, how many paying customers turned up for race day? I really havn't been following INDY at all.

Yeah it doesn't compare hey... Since Albert park has no future atm, dwindeling crowd numbers... and indy has a contract till 2013...

Corwd numbers, well over the 4 days there were 314000 people there. On race day there would be 100,000 people there at least. Thursday and friday crowd numbers are pretty low, saturday is usually around 75,000, so yeah 100,000 or more.

Oh and speaking from a rugby league fans point of view, Barry Hall is a thug!

ShiftingGears
15th April 2008, 01:18
Oh and speaking from a rugby league fans point of view, Barry Hall is a thug!

I just noticed a few days ago he looks kinda like Paul Tracy...
http://sydney.diarystar.com.au/images/barry-hall.JPG

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Aug-18-Wed-2004/photos/tracy.jpg

Mark
15th April 2008, 07:39
This thread has now gone way off topic so it's closed.