PDA

View Full Version : How much you care about politics

leopard
11th April 2008, 08:53
This weekend we have another election for governor of the province.
Each candidate offers crucial program such as re-structuring education system, establishing and stabilizing infrastructure, building dense labored project, etc.

There might not be direct impact to my personal life but rather for our general condition, regardless whoever the elected governor. But wrong choice might have consequence of moral responsibility as it may contribute to a not better condition than today.

I tend to be constant supporter of a party, because of reason they are far from being anarchy impression and always perform the campaign and general task peacefully. How do you vote an election?

Giraffe usually has his mind clever :)

gadjo_dilo
11th April 2008, 09:28
I'm in that phase of life when I don't go to vote anymore.
In my early years elections were a farce, then they became free and we were so passionate that we even broke up long term friendships. Now the elections continue to be free but the candidates are such caricatures and the parties are all well stuffed either with ex communists or new "local barons " that I don't bother to vote. At least I won't say later that I lost on my own hand. :laugh:

It doesn't mean I don't watch the endless TV debates. For the circus, of course. But should I bother to vote for monkeys like these:http://www.trilulilu.ro/clauteo/b566b008aade28
http://www.protv.ro/speciale/apropotv/editii/apropo-tv-6-aprilie-2008/6126
http://www.protv.ro/speciale/apropotv/editii/apropo-tv-6-aprilie-2008/6125

Rudy Tamasz
11th April 2008, 12:15
I no longer vote. One reason is that I live in a country with a post-communist authoritarian regime and voting doesn't mean much anyway. But the second reason is that I think that most things should be done by citizens themselves and their communities, not by the government. So to be as much a free and accomplished person as possible I should care as little about the government as possible. My message to every government is take care of defense, security and some communications, then slash taxes and get the hell outta my way!

jso1985
12th April 2008, 23:40
I feel that if I don't vote I don't have the right to complain after about anything the elected authorithy does. if none of the candidates aren't credible for me then I give a blank vote but at least I feel i'm doing my bit for democracy

Erki
13th April 2008, 04:36
As I don't follow politics at all, I don't vote either. It's just stupid to vote for someone whose name sounds cool or who wears the coolest tie. I don't do "blind" voting.

leopard
14th April 2008, 07:54
Yeah ... especially if you are very popular person of a residence while unconvinced with the performance of the candidates, come to vote and keep them blank or vote them all :D

rah
14th April 2008, 16:34
I like voting. Not that I have a choice, but I like it that way.

millencolin
15th April 2008, 01:11
No choice here, vote or get a fine... but the chances of the Australian Electoral Commision finding you are slim anyways.

I like to vote, i take a passing interest in politics. I don't traditionally favour one party to another. I voted for Labor in the federal election, but in the local Brisbane City Council Election, i went for Liberal.

Best bit about voting is at the local primary school where i do my voting, there is usually a free sausage sizzle. BITCHIN!!!!

SOD
15th April 2008, 15:21
I know enough about it to know where my taxes are being spent.

OWFan19
15th April 2008, 20:06
Wow I am suprised that there isnt the hatered for one another in this forum, unlike another.

JSH
15th April 2008, 21:17
aaaah voting.... that quaint process that provides us all with the false belief that our opinion matters or that we can make a difference.

fandango
16th April 2008, 00:24
There should be a "none of the above" vote, where if a certain percentage choose that option then the election has to be held again, with new policy ideas.

Rollo
16th April 2008, 00:26
Voting is compulsory in Australia, so everyone in theory has some very small say in how the country is run. We've just have a tin pot little scumbag for a Prime Minister deposed from his own seat in parliament, a change of government and a chap who looks suspiciously like Winnie The Pooh become PM.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter who you vote for, since big business has the ear of the political parties and whoever you elect is still going to be a politician.

Like Millencolin we also had a free sausage sizzle at out local polling place... BOOYA :D

SOD
16th April 2008, 01:03
Wow I am suprised that there isnt the hatered for one another in this forum, unlike another.

that's because the forum bigwigs here treat the posters with respect.

I ask those who don't vote, do you realise that you're giving away 50% (or more) of the money you earn to the government

Camelopard
16th April 2008, 02:22
Years ago I was having a discussion with someone in a pub in London who was going on and on about how bad thatcher and the Conservative governments policies were, so I asked him who he voted for expecting of course to be told that he was a Labour voter, however his response suprised me: 'I don't vote as it is a waste of time'!

Surely if you don't bother to take your democratic right to vote you can't complain about the government you get?

leopard
16th April 2008, 04:00
Ultimately it doesn't really matter who you vote for, since big business has the ear of the political parties and whoever you elect is still going to be a politician.

The new elected governor came from two minor politic party, elite might not predict this to happen, but seems people tend to do smart choice to chose the new leader from candidates without sufficient political background.

Yeah, all candidates are politician. All we can do maybe to vote who have the less conflict among them. Couple days before election I met coincidently the party partisan in a bank, although they have the less budget I saw him came out from expensive car and have huge amount of balance of saving in the bank. :D

OWFan19
16th April 2008, 04:46

Yes they do. I always hated the way some will use their powers to insult you, and then either delete, censor, or mute what you say in return. I also think the posters here are very civil with each other.

I am going to vote, dont know if it will be worth anything. I am disappointed with how things have gone. The process is way to long, the canidates are completly and the media jumps on anything they can find on these canidates.

Magnus
16th April 2008, 08:24
I care abt politics a lot, and it is one of my greatest interests, not to say concerns :)
At times I also have the possibility of expressing my opinions by wringt debate-articles in different papers. Mostly left-wing. Since I do not agree with them, they are far more interesting then the right-wingers.

leopard
16th April 2008, 09:27
We're flying without wings

fandango
16th April 2008, 10:50

I ask those who don't vote, do you realise that you're giving away 50% (or more) of the money you earn to the government

It's also fair to say that not voting is like voting for the winner, in our current system(s).

SOD
16th April 2008, 15:05
I am going to vote, dont know if it will be worth anything. I am disappointed with how things have gone. The process is way to long, the canidates are completly and the media jumps on anything they can find on these canidates.

make them sad by voting :D

Rudy Tamasz
16th April 2008, 15:20
I think by not voting we show them that they need us, we don't need them. And that's a good message.

BDunnell
16th April 2008, 23:37
I care deeply about politics, and, having worked in the field, believe that politicians generally get an unnecessarily bad name. In the UK, the vast majority in all parties work extremely hard, and it's often a pretty thankless task. There is also a lot of rubbish written about them in relation to how hard they and their staff work.

Rollo
16th April 2008, 23:59
I think by not voting we show them that they need us, we don't need them. And that's a good message.

How? I curious as you arrived at this.
Doesn't it show either ambivalence or laziness on the part of the voter? More "I can't be bothered to vote" rather than exercising a democratic "right" not to vote.

I would like a box on the ballot paper which said "no confidence" or "not good enough" so that the politicians actually got the message that we think that most of them are... crocodile wives :D

millencolin
17th April 2008, 06:49
Doesn't it show either ambivalence or laziness on the part of the voter? More "I can't be bothered to vote" rather than exercising a democratic "right" not to vote.

Yeah but voting can be a pain in the arse :p :

Think about it... its Saturday, you may have to work. You have to get up extra early to go to work as you are a uni student and have to work on weekends. Since you are a uni student, you are also hungover. You get up, at some god awful hour, and to your amazement you reach the polling booth and there is a queue 150m long full of people who are a little overexcited to vote. This over-excitement from members of the public scares you deeply, yet you cannot show emotion as its still way too freakin early for youre facial muscles to work. You finally get to your polling station, they cant find your'e name on the roll. Reason because, their pen was resting over your name. You vote... then leave and find out its so early that the free sausage sizzle hasnt started yet!!!! Well there goes breakfast!

You leave for work, and get in trouble for being late because of all the hassle from voting.

Thats my experience from last year's federal election where lil' Johnny got the can and Kevin "Winnie The Pooh" Rudd came to power

Thats when you think, in a society where its 'compulsory' to vote, is voting really worth it :p :

Camelopard
17th April 2008, 07:23
Yeah but voting can be a pain in the arse :p :

Think about it... its Saturday, you may have to work.

You leave for work, and get in trouble for being late because of all the hassle from voting.

It is much easier to vote early if you have to work on voting day. In fact I've made it a habit regardless of whether I'm working on the day or not, get it out of the way!
Don't quote me but I'm sure your boss has to give you time off to go and vote.

leopard
17th April 2008, 08:44
We do not go to vote everyday, it shouldn't take too much our time. :)

However my last weekend was not productive, participating the election in the morning, being trapped in the terrible traffic jam in the afternoon, arrived at home at 10.

Rudy Tamasz
17th April 2008, 15:45
How? I curious as you arrived at this.

I would like a box on the ballot paper which said "no confidence" or "not good enough" so that the politicians actually got the message that we think that most of them are... crocodile wives :D

In my book a low turnout of voters is a polite way of sending an FU to the politicians. Every politician who isn't completely brain dead will get it.

BDunnell
17th April 2008, 15:59
I wouldn't blame a low turnout entirely on the politicians. Surely individuals must take responsibility for their own actions? I think there is a lack of general knowledge about current affairs, caused by the fact that people would rather read about celebrities and trivia. That's not the fault of politicians. If citizens are ignorant about politics, they should surely shoulder some of the blame for that themselves. There is also so much rubbish written in the popular papers in the UK about matters relating to the political system, which makes people think that all politicians are untrustworthy, when this is simply not true.

jso1985
17th April 2008, 20:14
In my book a low turnout of voters is a polite way of sending an FU to the politicians. Every politician who isn't completely brain dead will get it.

Giving a blank vote would mean a "FU" to politicians, not going to vote would mean "I don't care about democracy so go on do whatever you want while your're in office" to politicians
That's at least what i think

SOD
17th April 2008, 20:31

something you didnt also learn in Democracy 101:

Politicians dont GAF, they only need so many votes to get into power, and with their friends in the media they'll stay there. Just keep an eye on whose hand is in the cookie jar.

BDunnell
17th April 2008, 20:37
Giving a blank vote would mean a "FU" to politicians, not going to vote would mean "I don't care about democracy so go on do whatever you want while your're in office" to politicians
That's at least what i think

Or 'we can't be bothered to find out about politics because we're all too concerned with what's going on in Big Brother'.

Rudy Tamasz
18th April 2008, 13:27
something you didnt also learn in Democracy 101:

Politicians dont GAF, they only need so many votes to get into power, and with their friends in the media they'll stay there. Just keep an eye on whose hand is in the cookie jar.

Silly, silly me. A poor newcomer in the world of democracy, barely able to tell my right hand from my left hand. :(

millencolin
18th April 2008, 14:52
It is much easier to vote early if you have to work on voting day. In fact I've made it a habit regardless of whether I'm working on the day or not, get it out of the way!
Don't quote me but I'm sure your boss has to give you time off to go and vote.

No no i did go early, i was there brfore the polls were opened. But my local area is the same electorate as Kevin Rudd, so everyone appeared to be up bright and early to vote for him. I got to work, boss still yelled at me even though i gave my reasons for being late and he came up with the stereotypical 'i voted and still got here in time, so should of you'... tis what happens when you work with twats

Camelopard
18th April 2008, 15:18
No no i did go early, i was there brfore the polls were opened. But my local area is the same electorate as Kevin Rudd, so everyone appeared to be up bright and early to vote for him. I got to work, boss still yelled at me even though i gave my reasons for being late and he came up with the stereotypical 'i voted and still got here in time, so should of you'... tis what happens when you work with twats

Sorry, what I meant (by the way, aren't you a mind reader :) ) was that you can vote for about 2 weeks prior to the day of the election, not a postal vote. There tends to be only a couple of booths open during the day for each electorate, in my case the one I use is just over the road from where I work.

I'll make no comment on the bit about working for twats :) . Actually it would be interesting to phone the Electoral Commission to find out your rights, I'm guessing that he would be in the wrong!

Garry Walker
18th April 2008, 15:36
I care deeply about politics, and, having worked in the field, believe that politicians generally get an unnecessarily bad name. In the UK, the vast majority in all parties work extremely hard, and it's often a pretty thankless task. There is also a lot of rubbish written about them in relation to how hard they and their staff work.

I will agree with the first part of your post. I care a lot about politics. Have done so since I was probably 10 or 11
Unfortunately from my experience with quite many politics (I am talking about personal experiences), it seems that most of them are there for the money and easy work, with lots of benefits. The very few who really care and try to push for positive changes, usually get so frustrated in the end of the political games that they quit and go back to their fields where they were successful before politics. I understand them, because there is only so much BS and ignoring one can take.
So generally I am quite dissapointed with politics and politicians and I find that a shame.

Garry Walker
18th April 2008, 15:40
Or 'we can't be bothered to find out about politics because we're all too concerned with what's going on in Big Brother'.

haha.
True for UK.
It is very sad when young people care much more about who of the intellectually challenged Big Brother contestants shagged who, than about what is really going on in the country, things that have effect their future.
Unfortunately such indifference is common in the youths of most countries.

BDunnell
18th April 2008, 16:02
I will agree with the first part of your post. I care a lot about politics. Have done so since I was probably 10 or 11
Unfortunately from my experience with quite many politics (I am talking about personal experiences), it seems that most of them are there for the money and easy work, with lots of benefits. The very few who really care and try to push for positive changes, usually get so frustrated in the end of the political games that they quit and go back to their fields where they were successful before politics. I understand them, because there is only so much BS and ignoring one can take.
So generally I am quite dissapointed with politics and politicians and I find that a shame.

That hasn't been my experience, having worked in the House of Commons. In fact, very few British MPs seem to choose to leave politics of their own volition and return to the wider world of work (of which, in fact, I think politics is part). In some cases, this is undoubtedly because people just want to stick it out, but mostly I am sure that it stems from a commitment to the job.

And the nature of that job has changed in recent times. Really busy MPs in Britain are now much more like social workers/citizens' advice bureaux in one sense, as people get to see that they are working hard and then turn to their hard-working MP about problems that ought to be solved at a lower level, maybe by a local councillor, the council or even a private company. This is partly inevitable, as MPs have more resources with which to deal with such things than do local councillors or councils (though still not enough, in my view - MPs really cannot pay their staff much if they have to employ several to cope with the amount of work), but it also reflects the lack of satisfaction people often get from other quarters nowadays.

Garry Walker
18th April 2008, 16:31
That hasn't been my experience, having worked in the House of Commons. In fact, very few British MPs seem to choose to leave politics of their own volition and return to the wider world of work (of which, in fact, I think politics is part). In some cases, this is undoubtedly because people just want to stick it out, but mostly I am sure that it stems from a commitment to the job.

And the nature of that job has changed in recent times. Really busy MPs in Britain are now much more like social workers/citizens' advice bureaux in one sense, as people get to see that they are working hard and then turn to their hard-working MP about problems that ought to be solved at a lower level, maybe by a local councillor, the council or even a private company. This is partly inevitable, as MPs have more resources with which to deal with such things than do local councillors or councils (though still not enough, in my view - MPs really cannot pay their staff much if they have to employ several to cope with the amount of work), but it also reflects the lack of satisfaction people often get from other quarters nowadays.

Well, that might be true for UK, but I am not UK based.

BDunnell
18th April 2008, 16:49
Well, that might be true for UK, but I am not UK based.

Indeed, I understand. Things are probably very different elsewhere.

fandango
18th April 2008, 18:59
I don't think politicians are in it for the money, usually, but they often get addicted to the power.

As for not voting sending a FU message to politicians, that's just silly. It's the majority that puts them in power.

TOgoFASTER
18th April 2008, 20:27
Voting allows for taking out the trash, and replacing it with yet another chance to get it right.

Politicians riding the wrong wave, fold earlier and earlier to vacation/retirement land to get away from justified legal proceedings and then become lobbyists for those that padded their pockets while in office. Saves on those messy presidential pardons that would hurt their political party. Think of the overcrowded country club prison populations if this was not done in this way. :rolleyes: Look at what it would cost the taxpayers and no doubt the self reliant... ;)

anthonyvop
19th April 2008, 03:41
Recently I was engaged in a conversation with an acquaintance of mine and he went on and on about the Evils of our president and the G.O.P. in general. When I asked him if he had voted for John Kerry he replied that he didn't vote.

I politely then explained to him that he could just shut the F*ck up!!!

futuretiger9
19th April 2008, 11:05
I have gone through a period of apathy as regards politics, but in recent months I have become much more interested. I have major concerns about the direction which the UK as a society/economy is taking, and I am considering more active involvement.

Many of my contemporaries have been anaesthetized by apparent material affluence, and this has made them blind to the issues in the world around them.

TOgoFASTER
19th April 2008, 21:12
^ Good for you! Do become more engaged. Even if it means voting for the lesser 'evil' for the greater good of your country and it's citizens.

Your last sentence speaks volumes. That fog can get real deep for those caught blindly in it.

SOD
20th April 2008, 00:25
Recently I was engaged in a conversation with an acquaintance of mine and he went on and on about the Evils of our president and the G.O.P. in general. When I asked him if he had voted for John Kerry he replied that he didn't vote.

I politely then explained to him that he could just shut the F*ck up!!!

sorry you flat wrong. you're friend pays taxes therefore has every right to say what he did.

BDunnell
20th April 2008, 00:35
I agree. I don't vote in the London Mayoral election (because I am registered to vote in my home constituency) but I live in London and am therefore affected by the Mayor's policies so feel that it's entirely legitimate to express views on them, negative or not.

tstran17_88
20th April 2008, 03:41
sorry you flat wrong. you're friend pays taxes therefore has every right to say what he did.I agree SOD, his friend has every right to say what he wants...that's what makes our country great. Even the radical lunatics get an opinion.

But by giving up his choice to vote...he has no ground to stand on when he complains about the party in power.

MY opinion...If you don't like what's going on here, put down the bong, get your lazy, liberal ass out and vote for your choice if you don't like the direction this country is going!

BTW SOD...when are you getting back over to the states so we can party again? :D :laugh:

SOD
20th April 2008, 23:02
BTW SOD...when are you getting back over to the states so we can party again? :D :laugh:

hey I'm working on it :D

I have no reason to stay in Dublin now :s mokin:

tstran17_88
20th April 2008, 23:18
:beer:

Zico
20th April 2008, 23:36
I dont vote, I try not to follow politics if I can help it as it only serves to iritate me, which in turn unqualifies me to vote due to political ignorance.
I also think my conscience would suffer when the party I voted for proved to be as bad or even worse than the previous administration. History seems to repeat itself no matter who gets in, be it Labour or Tory.