PDA

View Full Version : After further review.....

ChicagocrewIRL
10th April 2008, 04:16
I've been watching my TIVO replay of the crash between Perrera and Meira and after watching it about a hundred times both in regular time and slow motion, Ive come to the conclusion that Meira should have given him room. Pererra had the inside overlap well into the turn and Meira should have known he was there and gone wide. Meira was plenty mad but I don't think he had any reason to be.
Pererra had the pass well under way going into the turn. IMHO

bblocker68
10th April 2008, 17:25
This one could be debated for a long time, I bet. The way I saw it, it was Perrera's fault for being a little optimistic. I'd give the guy making the pass the blame if he doesn't get his car past the half way mark of the opposing drivers sidepod at the beginning of the apex. Vitor could have gone wide and let him through, but it looked like the corner was his.

Then again, it was 4 days ago and my memory fades quickly :)

nanders
10th April 2008, 18:07
This one could be debated for a long time, I bet. The way I saw it, it was Perrera's fault for being a little optimistic. I'd give the guy making the pass the blame if he doesn't get his car past the half way mark of the opposing drivers sidepod at the beginning of the apex. Vitor could have gone wide and let him through, but it looked like the corner was his.

Then again, it was 4 days ago and my memory fades quickly :)

Barry, my friend. I was explaining a similar situation to a SIM Racing buddy just the other evening. Just because it's your corner, doesn't make a good reason for going ahead and wrecking the car. So if you think it's your corner because he only got his front wheel to your rear wheel and you turn in anyway and wreck ..... I have to think that the guy who could have avoided the contact is liable for it.

Of course, unless it was me, and then it's the other bazturds fault!

keysersoze
10th April 2008, 18:16
It was somewhat similar to the Senna-Prost accident at the Suzuka chicane in '89, and that one still hasn't been sorted out.

garyshell
10th April 2008, 18:16

Or you could just take a page from the Michael "the whiner" Andretti or Eddie "the mouth" Cheever playbook that it's ALWAYS the other bazturds fault! :D

Gary

bblocker68
10th April 2008, 19:15
Barry, my friend. I was explaining a similar situation to a SIM Racing buddy just the other evening. Just because it's your corner, doesn't make a good reason for going ahead and wrecking the car. So if you think it's your corner because he only got his front wheel to your rear wheel and you turn in anyway and wreck ..... I have to think that the guy who could have avoided the contact is liable for it.

There lies the problem. I would think the guy attempting the pass has the ultimate decision on whether to avoid it or not since he has vision of the whole situation compared to the guy in front. Believe me, I know it does not give the guy in front to slam the door, but Vitor's actions really seemed like he didn't think Franck was going to try and take the corner. He didn't do a "Coulthard", IMO.

Chris R
10th April 2008, 20:33
I think it was a racing accident = both drivers could have avoided it if they wanted - but they were racing and trying to get ahead........

Vegasguy
10th April 2008, 21:26
I disagree, he was not deep enough at the point of turn in and should have backed off. Was the pass well under way.... sure, but he was not 1/2 way up along side so that Meira could easily have seen him prior to the turn in and that is the standard that has been used for a long time, IMHO.

ChicagocrewIRL
10th April 2008, 23:09
I disagree, he was not deep enough at the point of turn in and should have backed off. Was the pass well under way.... sure, but he was not 1/2 way up along side so that Meira could easily have seen him prior to the turn in and that is the standard that has been used for a long time, IMHO.

Hmmmm now you have me rethinking my decision. You're right. After further review Pererra wasn't deep enough into the turn. SO maybe Meira had a legitimate beef for Pererra being a bit too optimistic. Here I go again watching the TIVO for another hour . UGH :)

pvtjoker
11th April 2008, 00:03
I think it was a racing accident = both drivers could have avoided it if they wanted - but they were racing and trying to get ahead........

agreed

weeflyonthewall
11th April 2008, 01:27

Does Vitor know when to back off? I'm not convinced he does although I'll never second guess his passion to win, he reminds me a lot of DC (Coulthard).
Good racers learn about who they're driving against, their competitors strengths and their weaknesses. Look how some of the transition drivers took advantage of Danica's lack of wet-street confidence at St' Pete's. With Wilson putting all that pressure on her I was waiting for her to break. There were a few wiggles but the FCY saved her from being lapped, or worse. That's racin' at its finest. Franck Perrera went to school on some of the best road racing talent in CCAC last year. He took advantage of that knowledge to get past his competition. He also did his share of backing off, especially against Matos when he realized he couldn't make it clean out of the apex. Vitor is improving but needs to understand his limitations. Maybe Cotman should add some of those white line corners like San Jose GP.

drewdawg727
11th April 2008, 13:44
I don't agree. Most rear/front wheel contacts are the fault of the one attempting to gain a position. Perera should have waited for turn 1 of the next lap.

SarahFan
11th April 2008, 15:45
I've been watching my TIVO replay of the crash between Perrera and Meira and after watching it about a hundred times both in regular time and slow motion, Ive come to the conclusion that Meira should have given him room. Pererra had the inside overlap well into the turn and Meira should have known he was there and gone wide. Meira was plenty mad but I don't think he had any reason to be.
Pererra had the pass well under way going into the turn. IMHO

tell me if I'm wrong....I haven't rewatched it..

it seemed afterward they had some words.....then Miera kind of gave him a a head nod and a pet on the backside.....almost an "ok you understand were all good sign'...

yes or no

keysersoze
11th April 2008, 17:19
yes, that's what I saw.

ChicagocrewIRL
11th April 2008, 17:35
tell me if I'm wrong....I haven't rewatched it..

it seemed afterward they had some words.....then Miera kind of gave him a a head nod and a pet on the backside.....almost an "ok you understand were all good sign'...

yes or no

Not quite.... according to the Panther website Vitor was extremely heated and was berating Pererra the entire time and all Pererra had for him was " I was faster than you... I was faster than you." Vitor apparently patted him on the back sarcastically after the wreck and said "Look how fast you are now, dude !!!"

or words to that effect. We have a new rivalry !!! :)

NickFalzone
11th April 2008, 18:58
my impression at the time was that Perrera had nothing to say and Vitor left the scene pretty ***** off. Reminds me of the Meira/Castroneves argument last year at Michigan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyvHEcM7JTU