PDA

View Full Version : Jarvenpaa knives

Hondo
5th April 2008, 20:17
Just ordered a couple of Jarvenpaa knives from Finland. Any of our forum Finns have or use them? Do you like them?

Eki
5th April 2008, 23:47
Just ordered a couple of Jarvenpaa knives from Finland. Any of our forum Finns have or use them? Do you like them?
I don't have any personal experience. I just know that they are historically well-known and famous.

SOD
6th April 2008, 16:25
I'll ask Chef Tony 'bout 'em

Woodeye
6th April 2008, 16:49
I have one Iisakki Järvenpää knife that I won from the army. (I was selected as the best special trained engineer of my squad.. :) ) The model looks a bit like 7216, but the sheath has Finnish army symbols and stuff.

I think Järvenpää knifes are well respected here, as well as the Marttiini -knives. I'm lucky enough to say that I've made one knife also myself. Back in high school we had a substitute who taught us to make knifes. The knife is ugly as h*ll but at least I made it myself. :D

If you want too see beautiful hand made knives, take a look at this page:
http://www.taistokuortti.com/omat.htm

The page is in Finnish but the pictures speak for themselves. :)

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up buying the Järvenpää -knives?

Hondo
6th April 2008, 17:30
During one of our "group lunches" at work on Friday, a guy pulled a Mora style knife out of his lunch box and started slicing up a pile of smoked sausage. The knife blade was impressive but the handle wasn't very pleasing. I started out on the internet looking at Moras in Sweden but somehow ended up wandering into Finland and looking at the Jarvenpaa knives. I liked those better, especially the curly birch and stacked birch bark handles so I bought 3 of them instead. They look like very fine, but strong, simple fuctional knives. They ought to be here by Thursday. Thanks for the link, those are some good looking knives.

Eki
6th April 2008, 18:19
During one of our "group lunches" at work on Friday, a guy pulled a Mora style knife out of his lunch box and started slicing up a pile of smoked sausage. The knife blade was impressive but the handle wasn't very pleasing. I started out on the internet looking at Moras in Sweden but somehow ended up wandering into Finland and looking at the Jarvenpaa knives. I liked those better, especially the curly birch and stacked birch bark handles so I bought 3 of them instead. They look like very fine, but strong, simple fuctional knives. They ought to be here by Thursday. Thanks for the link, those are some good looking knives.
The Mora knives here are ones with plastic handles. They are considered cheap work knives. And yes, they do the job if you just want to cut metal wire or kill someone, but Jarvenpää knives are esthetically pleasing and probably appeal the most to those who are collecting knives or just like beautiful handicraft.

Hondo
7th April 2008, 01:40
Ted's mora had a wood handle painted or stained red. It looked pretty silly. I guess I'm kind of a knife collector, I view them as functional art work and use all of them. I've been playing with the idea of short hikes and camping again, taking Sweetie with me. I like a medium sized fixed-blade for camping and these are about 4 inch long blades, made of carbon steel with a floppy sheath that won't get in your way but deep enough that you don't have to worry about the knife falling out. I'm looking forward to seeing how these work out.

leopard
8th April 2008, 07:46
Great knives, I saw boy scouts use such knives. Or maybe different, they usually use not sharp knives.

maxu05
8th April 2008, 08:15
I once had a Gherka, (spelling) Knife when I was in the army, unfortunately it was stolen. I mostly use knives for cooking these days, though when I get back to Oz, I will buy a quality knife for camping, while showing my wife around Australia. The knives on the link look very nice Woodeye :up: