PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Bahrain Grand Prix Thread

ozrevhead
3rd April 2008, 14:14
We are only 17 hrs till Friday practice and Im suprised we dont have a thread on the GP yet

Better late than never :D

Tazio
3rd April 2008, 15:29
Hey Oz how's it going my man/

Tazio
3rd April 2008, 15:40
Come on FM, KR, JT, TG, Fred, Webbo, and HK in that order even though Ron is a liar!

jens
3rd April 2008, 20:38
One of the biggest questions to me is that how will Williams perform. No other team has had more drastically different weekends (except maybe Ferrari) than Williams. Very competitive in Oz, totally uncompetitive at Sepang. How good they really are then?

Tazio
3rd April 2008, 23:10
One of the biggest questions to me is that how will Williams perform. No other team has had more drastically different weekends (except maybe Ferrari) than Williams. Very competitive in Oz, totally uncompetitive at Sepang. How good they really are then?
I've been pondering that my self. I did not put either piolot in my top eight.
Nico is capable of hanging with da big boys. However That car exibited a very serious lack of pace on a coventional course. Likely Mechanical. Posibly canine! he has zero chance of finishing p6. If he doesnt get through to quali 3 something is going to get broken shortly after the green light. I figured out why Ron didn't want this guy more than HK. when $hit aint going his way he is the biggest cry baby since BCE.

Shifter
4th April 2008, 04:48
Let's see BMW and Williams do well this weekend! Also hoping for another good result from Fisi,, I always enjoy watching when the driver is better than the car.

Tazio
4th April 2008, 04:58
Let's see BMW and Williams do well this weekend! Also hoping for another good result from Fisi,, I always enjoy watching when the driver is better than the car.I'm all about Glock, Massa, HK, &JT,
Lets get ready to rumble

Tazio
4th April 2008, 05:55
Let's see BMW and Williams do well this weekend! Also hoping for another good result from Fisi,, I always enjoy watching when the driver is better than the car.BTW I wouldn't be surprised if williams scores points. It appears to be a temprametal, neurotic machine! Of course you would get a little temramental if half the time your running with a part that you or someone else crashed off of you! :p :

wmcot
4th April 2008, 07:25
I'd like to see Bourdais have a full race this time. I am not a big fan of his, but I am curious to see what his potential is (along with STR's potential.)

SGWilko
4th April 2008, 13:24
Lewis has just binned it in the wall......

Dave B
4th April 2008, 13:28
4 wheels on the kerb and there was nothing more he could do. Somewhat a schoolboy error.

He's out of the car and perfectly ok, one side of the car looks battered but it'll largely be suspension and cosmetic damage.

Dave B
4th April 2008, 13:32
Sutil and Alonso have just re-enacted the Coulthard / Massa incident from Australia.

SGWilko
4th April 2008, 13:32
Oh, and NPJ is trying to do a Massa v Coulthard....

^^^^^^^Oh, was it Fred?

Silly boy... ;)

ioan
4th April 2008, 13:33
Lewis has just binned it in the wall......

Lack of TC?! :p :
Or maybe he's just scared how that average guy, Massa I think he's called, is going 1+ seconds a lap faster! :d

ioan
4th April 2008, 13:34
Sutil and Alonso have just re-enacted the Coulthard / Massa incident from Australia.

It was Fisichella not Sutil.

SGWilko
4th April 2008, 13:37
Lack of TC?! :p :
Or

Finding the limit - which is what practice is for, no?

ioan
4th April 2008, 13:42
Finding the limit - which is what practice is for, no?

And destroying the car in the process? No, no! He's lost it under acceleration, he just can't drive under pressure without TC!
Now, sack him! There re so many talented potential WDCs out there, give them a chance! :p :

SGWilko
4th April 2008, 13:46
And destroying the car in the process? No, no! He's lost it under acceleration, he just can't drive under pressure without TC!
Now, sack him! There re so many talented potential WDCs out there, give them a chance! :p :

If you're going to trash it, do it when it don't matter...

If your men keep doing it in the race, the criticism will remain justified, as losing points finding the limit in the race is just not on....

nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean.......

Bagwan
4th April 2008, 13:53
Ioan , it's one thing to be that far behind the Ferrari's , but on SPEED , they mentioned Heikki had just posted a faster lap than his .
Which do you think made Lewis more upset ?

ArrowsFA1
4th April 2008, 14:03
Massa lap being almost a second quicker than Kimi suggests he was running quite a bit lighter, but even so Kimi's a good margin ahead of the McLaren's so Ferrari are looking strong so far.

Tazio
4th April 2008, 14:16
Oh, and NPJ is trying to do a Massa v Coulthard....

^^^^^^^Oh, was it Fred?

Silly boy... ;) Fred with one lap the way he liked the car was about to move up to about p8! Well like you said about lewis in regard to a certain members malicious
coment. lewis well beyond the limit, but thats where you find the limit not where you earn the points. Fred was in the process of defining the limit of The Renault, exibited bad judgement. that was not a propper time to make an error of aggression. He had put together enough of a lap to get the pertinant data. Freds just that way highly competative, savy, and a real tendency to let something as petty as Fisi slowing him down. rattle him. Fisi turned into him on purpose,and I don't blame him. Fred still has a lot of maturing to do!

Storm
4th April 2008, 14:16
Maybe we will get a Ferrari 1-2 on Sunday if they keep it this way tomorrow and if Massa doesn't spin out.

poor Renault, looking like a bad year and Alonso is saying that he will complete his contract there (in Marca)

Tazio
4th April 2008, 14:20
Ioan , it's one thing to be that far behind the Ferrari's , but on SPEED , they mentioned Heikki had just posted a faster lap than his .
Which do you think made Lewis more upset ?I get what your saying I was watching speed I didn't pay atention to the coment, but it was obvious by the timing that it apeared Lewis was racing HK! Interesting!

Tazio
4th April 2008, 14:22
Maybe we will get a Ferrari 1-2 on Sunday if they keep it this way tomorrow and if Massa doesn't spin out.

poor Renault, looking like a bad year and Alonso is saying that he will complete his contract there (in Marca)Don't ever feel sorry for fred or Renault. They always come back!

veeten
4th April 2008, 14:28
but it could be the same as last season; rookie driver (Piquet) outpaces Alonso, severely p!$$ing him off. Today's testing had him up to 12th in the final session, but his rookie teammate does him better for 10th.

jens
4th April 2008, 14:34
This time hard to read much out of practice times, but it looks like Williams is quick. Other teams are probably more or less as competitive as they were last time aroung at Sepang.

Schnell
4th April 2008, 14:40
but it could be the same as last season; rookie driver (Piquet) outpaces Alonso, severely p!$$ing him off. Today's testing had him up to 12th in the final session, but his rookie teammate does him better for 10th.

2nd session is mainly about learning the car and tyres for the race, not low fuel qualifying laps. But Alonso's last attempt at a quick lap was ruined at the very end of the session by one of the Force India cars (Sutil I think?) In revenge (no doubt he will deny it) he slip streamed him down the straight before ducking out to outbrake him and performed a perfect wheel in the sidepod take-out to teach him a lesson! Only an established driver can play those sort of games tho, these arn't Go-karts! But hey when a World Champion looms large in the mirrors best get out the way in a slower car!

MAX_THRUST
4th April 2008, 14:46
Bourdais was really quick............what was in his car

Tazio
4th April 2008, 14:48
but it could be the same as last season; rookie driver (Piquet) outpaces Alonso, severely p!$$ing him off. Today's testing had him up to 12th in the final session, but his rookie teammate does him better for 10th.Lets bet that jr beats fred this season. Not a chance in hell!

Tazio
4th April 2008, 14:55
2nd session is mainly about learning the car and tyres for the race, not low fuel qualifying laps. But Alonso's last attempt at a quick lap was ruined at the very end of the session by one of the Force India cars (Sutil I think?) In revenge (no doubt he will deny it) he slip streamed him down the straight before ducking out to outbrake him and performed a perfect wheel in the sidepod take-out to teach him a lesson! Only an established driver can play those sort of games tho, these arn't Go-karts! But hey when a World Champion looms large in the mirrors best get out the way in a slower car!That's exactly what I'm talking about veet' I still think it was poor judgement by fred. He was just pissed because he ran that practice the way he wanted to and whigged out because it didn't go just the way he had every expectation for it to end. jr is getting more comfortable with the car. If he pays attention he could learn alot.

MAX_THRUST
4th April 2008, 15:04
Only when the world chaion has a fast car, but in a renault this year he'd be better keeping his head down and noit drawing to much attention to himself. He'll just end up looking like a spoilt kid again....

veeten
4th April 2008, 15:12
That's exactly what I'm talking about veet' I still think it was poor judgement by fred. He was just pissed because he ran that practice the way he wanted to and whigged out because it didn't go just the way he had every expectation for it to end. jr is getting more comfortable with the car. If he pays attention he could learn alot.

yep, just like last season... ;)

Shifter
4th April 2008, 15:25
Bourdais was really quick............what was in his car

McDonalds and Red Bull...

ioan
4th April 2008, 19:01
Which do you think made Lewis more upset ?

Good point Bagwan. We already know that he buckles under pressure (see last seasons end), now he is proving it again! ;)

ioan
4th April 2008, 19:04
2nd session is mainly about learning the car and tyres for the race, not low fuel qualifying laps. But Alonso's last attempt at a quick lap was ruined at the very end of the session by one of the Force India cars (Sutil I think?)

No it wasn't Sutil, it was Fisi! ;)

Bagwan
4th April 2008, 19:11
No it wasn't Sutil, it was Fisi! ;)

I think you ought to check that again , my friend .
I believe it was Sutil .

Tazio
4th April 2008, 19:40
Maybe! But this wasn't a race. and Fred is not in a car that should even challenge for p7.

ioan
4th April 2008, 21:41
I think you ought to check that again , my friend .
I believe it was Sutil .

Maybe, I remember that they were showing the reply and than Fisichella's name showed up on the screen.

osg
4th April 2008, 22:53
Nice time by Massa on Softs and low fuel to lap nearly a second clear of Kimi...... but it's more of a confidence inflation exercise than anything tangible for mine.

If Massa runs away with the win, then well done and fair play to him, if he crashes out or makes an error.................. then?

Tazio
4th April 2008, 23:25
Only when the world chaion has a fast car, but in a renault this year he'd be better keeping his head down and noit drawing to much attention to himself. He'll just end up looking like a spoilt kid again....wrong!

Tazio
4th April 2008, 23:27

Not anything like last season IMHO

Tazio
5th April 2008, 06:50
Bourdais was really quick............what was in his car I have every expectation that Bordais is going to round into an excellent F1 pilot.
He is still getting used to grooved slicks according to the Burgermeister! :confused:

Tazio
5th April 2008, 07:24
Did anyone else notice That Jean Todt was actively engaged in the paddock?
LDM was serious when he said he would use him on special assignments!
LDM "here is your assignment. Please take that job back”

osg
5th April 2008, 11:05
Looking through FP's 1,2 and 3....... Nick Heidfeld has been very very unimpressive, whereas Nico Rosberg has been the polar opposite.

Tazio
5th April 2008, 11:50
RK is the man at bmw

Dave B
5th April 2008, 11:52
Did anyone else notice That Jean Todt was actively engaged in the paddock?
LDM was serious when he said he would use him on special assignments!
LDM "here is your assignment. Please take that job back”

Q. (Dan Knutson – National Speed Sport News) Stefano, you're now team principal. Is Jean Todt still helping you out in any way, giving advice or any help?

SD: Of course. He is still the best and we always said that our strength is to have dynamic changes in the structure and this is part of these changes in a dynamic way. He's still with us, as you can see – he's here – so of course this is a strength, it's not a negative point.

Q. (MC) How many races do you expect him to come to?

SD: I don't know. He will always be there, in any case, even if he's not physically, for sure he will still be on the case.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66349

Tazio
5th April 2008, 11:59
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66349

way to go Dave !!!!!! :p :

Azumanga Davo
5th April 2008, 12:02
I'm genuinely concerned that Alonso is nothing more than a brake-testing clod, who I definitely wouldn't share a freeway/motorway with if the ocassion demands. I believe, one day, he will injure or kill someone with the recklessness he displays when he has his 'red mist' moments...

Tazio
5th April 2008, 12:04
Speed opens up its broadcast with "Sweet Soul music"
Sam, and Dave :p : get down

Tazio
5th April 2008, 12:09
I'm genuinely concerned that Alonso is nothing more than a brake-testing clod, who I definitely wouldn't share a freeway/motorway with if the ocassion demands. I believe, one day, he will injure or kill someone with the recklessness he displays when he has his 'red mist' moments...Interesting opinnion!

Dave B
5th April 2008, 12:20
Alonso has admitted his mistake in the Sutil practice incident.

Back to today and the question of whether Massa will lose his S3 time set under double waved yellows.

Tazio
5th April 2008, 12:37
Is Massa a cheater :confused:

Tazio
5th April 2008, 12:41
I'm genuinely concerned that Alonso is nothing more than a brake-testing clod, who I definitely wouldn't share a freeway/motorway with if the ocassion demands. I believe, one day, he will injure or kill someone with the recklessness he displays when he has his 'red mist' moments...He does pull some arrogant BS

Dave B
5th April 2008, 12:42
Is Massa a cheater :confused:

In his defence it was bloody hard to see the yellow flag from his onboard camera, but rules are rules and Massa should have been paying attention.

ITV are saying that he won't be penalised, which does somewhat make a mockery of the rules.

Tazio
5th April 2008, 12:47
In his defence it was bloody hard to see the yellow flag from his onboard camera, but rules are rules and Massa should have been paying attention.

ITV are saying that he won't be penalised, which does somewhat make a mockery of the rules.Speed saying the same you know thought I was being facetious

Dave B
5th April 2008, 12:51
So now we know: it's ok to ignore the flags if you're in a red car :p

ShiftingGears
5th April 2008, 12:58
A Honda starting in the Top 10!

Tazio
5th April 2008, 12:59
So now we know: it's ok to ignore the flags if you're in a red car :p :p :

Tazio
5th April 2008, 13:01
Once again Fred over achieves :p :
Just Kidding!!!!!! :p :

Tazio
5th April 2008, 13:01
A Honda starting in the Top 10!

Rubino?

ShiftingGears
5th April 2008, 13:07
Kubica!

Ranger
5th April 2008, 13:08
Pole on Pole!

Well done! :D

ShiftingGears
Rubino?

Button. Manages 9th, putting him ahead of Alonso for the race!

Dave B
Cue all the "Pole on pole" headlines! Great job by Kubica and BMW :up:

Corny
5th April 2008, 13:14
Too bad I can't see the race tomorrow :(

janneppi
5th April 2008, 13:20
Good to see BMW on pole, They might not be on too low fuel either

veeten
5th April 2008, 13:22
Yay Kubi! :D Fantastic job, BMW. :up: Bringing back some of their glory from the early 80's. :)

Tazio
5th April 2008, 13:26
RK :p :

Tazio
5th April 2008, 13:27
Button. Manages 9th, putting him ahead of Alonso for the race!
I thought jr did an excellent job!

Tazio
5th April 2008, 13:28
Too bad I can't see the race tomorrow :(
What?

Tazio
5th April 2008, 13:37
Good to see BMW on pole, They might not be on too low fuel eitherHow are they set for race trim?

Tazio
5th April 2008, 13:44
Hamilton is ice

DazzlaF1
5th April 2008, 14:03
Well done Kubica, unexpected but well deserved pole position. Nice to see Button get into the top 10 for the first time this season and beat Alonso as well

petrolhead ben
5th April 2008, 14:23
A great qualifying session today I thought. As a big fan of kubica and BMW I'm glad he's on pole. Not sure what happened to massa though, I thought the ferraris would be comfortably on the front row.
Considering the speed of massa so far this weekend I would have thought he would have been fastest even if the BMW was on low fuel. But it certainly sets up a good race tommorrow, especially the first corner with the front row men. Just remember Fuji last year.

Tazio
5th April 2008, 14:43
Well done Kubica, unexpected but well deserved pole position. Nice to see Button get into the top 10 for the first time this season and beat Alonso as wellyes and in inferior equipment

tintop
5th April 2008, 15:12
:beer: :beer: :beer: BMW!!!!!

harvick#1
5th April 2008, 15:13
well done to Kubica, the start should be interesting then :D

VkmSpouge
5th April 2008, 15:42
A great lap by Robert Kubica, he's probably lighter than Massa but still it was an extremely good effort.
Well done to Jenson Button for getting 9th on the grid.

tintop
5th April 2008, 15:44
well done to Kubica, the start should be interesting then :D

On balance, massa does seem to be considerably faster and normally I'd assume that he'd get the jump on Kubica, but given his troubles with unassisted traction this year, I wonder if he would risk another early DNF?

pino
5th April 2008, 16:42
Great pole for Kubica :up: I am so happy for him, the Guy is a potential title-winner, he just need a bit more experience ;)

Shifter
5th April 2008, 17:29
It's a great day when you decide that you're a fan of a driver and then he keeps improving! Kubica is the man! Yeah...problably won't hold off Massa the whole race, but I'm going to spend the rest of today at least with a huge smile on my face!!!

Roamy
5th April 2008, 17:32
great job however in the old days we used to get to see who was fastest in qualifying not who was lighter on fuel. Thanks Max you freaking Idiot!
But the grid is tightening up a bit and I am happy to see toyota and honda with williams moving back up a bit. Hopefully this year we will have multiple team winners

Corny
5th April 2008, 17:44
would loove to see Kubica winning, but I'm afraid that will not be the case

jens
5th April 2008, 17:51
Massa was totally dominant in Q1 and Q2. Did he make a mistake on his last attempt? Awesome result from Kubica, but I suspect he has lighter fuel load than anyone else. Heidfeld on the other hand is on heavy fuel load? Räikkönen seemed very uninspiring during the whole qualifying. This does not seem to be his weekend - Massa can be expected to finish as the top Ferrari unless he bins it.

Red Bull was a slight disappointment. Honda on the other hand showed very good pace (Button also 5th in Q1). Sutil has got beaten by Fisichella once again... doesn´t bode well for the future. Good performance by Bourdais too. Vettel has some pressure now and must start proving himself by beating the Frenchman if he wants to get into a better team for next year.

Corny
5th April 2008, 18:01
Massa was totally dominant in Q1 and Q2. Did he make a mistake on his last attempt?

Yes, he went heavily on, or maybe even a bit over the cerbs on the outcoming of a right corner..
Didn't look too satisfied too BTW:P

SGWilko
5th April 2008, 18:32
Great pole for Kubica :up: I am so happy for him, the Guy is a potential title-winner, he just need a bit more experience ;)

I thought BMW needed JV to win titles..........

Bagwan
5th April 2008, 20:48

Glock is in JV's car right now .
Timo can't handle Jarno's set-up , and both Jarno and Jacques , smooth drivers both , hated Fernando's .

Timo out and JV in for a stint , and we'd see some real progress .

Kubica did well . Good on him .

We'll see tomorrow if Nick goes longer , as JV did , to get results from the race , rather than from quals .

F1boat
5th April 2008, 21:38
Kudos to Kubica, it will be great if he wins tomorrow.

Tazio
5th April 2008, 21:54
JV was there, and drove!

osg
5th April 2008, 23:11
All i will say is this..... Well Done to Kubica, even if he is light as a feather, and watch out for Kimi who must be heavy as hell.

Hawkmoon
5th April 2008, 23:31
I think the McLarens are in a bit of trouble. Kubica's probably lighter than Hamilton but I don't think Hamilton will have the race-pace to make a difference. We saw how much he struggled in Malaysia behind Webber. The McLaren seems to be lacking a bit in the traction department compared to both the Ferrari and the BMW.

All things being equal I think the best Hamilton can do in the race is 4th.

airshifter
5th April 2008, 23:34
A good surprise for me to see when I checked out the qually results! I see huge potential in Kubica. My sig made before season open reflects who I think will be the top three drivers in the WDC standings this year. :)

markabilly
6th April 2008, 05:14
:D The Pole got the pole..... :D

Tazio
6th April 2008, 05:39
RK is the man at bmw
Looks like I got ahead of myself :p :
Sakir will make minced meat out of BMW, and Mclaren tyres
Ferrari will make minced meat out of what's left!

Tazio
6th April 2008, 08:42
BTW I'm gunning for a Jenson Button honk, for a Sig bet!
The proposition being: Fred starting on row 5 p10
being classified higher than Bunsen starting on row 5 P9
at the conclusion of the race. Sig exchange would last the
duration of time until the end of the next race. Only gentlemanly
Sig exchanges. No having to deny your sexual preference or anything
else crude or inappropriate.
(One suggestion would be if Tazio lost he would shut his pie hole
in regard to Fred's accomplishments!
Let's get it on!

ozrevhead
6th April 2008, 09:21
:D The Pole got the pole..... :D
Im going for him as well and hope he does well seeing BR arent giving Mark much :(

ioan
6th April 2008, 09:43
Well done Robert! :up:
This will certainly boost his confidence!

As for the strategies, we will see who is lighter and by how much. I would say that the Macs ran lighter to make up for they lack of pace ( about .5 seconds slower than Felipe on shear pace).
The Austrian commentator said that according to the engineers, 10 kg account for a loss of .8 seconds in Bahrain. Knowing that they need 2,5-2.6 kg fuel for one lap we can figure out who was really fast and who was running light.

Valve Bounce
6th April 2008, 10:49
A good surprise for me to see when I checked out the qually results! I see huge potential in Kubica. My sig made before season open reflects who I think will be the top three drivers in the WDC standings this year. :)

Your sig made before season open?? I suggest you forget about the race and go and do some homework.

airshifter
6th April 2008, 11:47
Your sig made before season open?? I suggest you forget about the race and go and do some homework.

You're losing me on this one VB. I changed my signature before the Aussie opener, reflecting who I expected to see fighting for the WDC. Though I admit Kubica is a long shot due to the car, I included him based on talent alone, and am happy to see him do so good in quals.

I'm also predicting Massa finishes behind Kimi, IF he finishes! :laugh:

Osella
6th April 2008, 12:39
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: @Hamilton...

But of course "Alonso failed to accelerate".. Oh, I see, must have been Alonso's fault that he got driven into the back of then... Thanks ITV..

osg
6th April 2008, 12:42
Allen and Brundle need shares in Kleenex..... they **** me to no end. Lewis has had that coming for over half a season.....

To all who want to have a bleat regarding Fernando, Lewis needn't have been in that situation if he hadn't of stuffed the start.

Tazio
6th April 2008, 12:47
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: @Hamilton...

But of course "Alonso failed to accelerate".. Oh, I see, must have been Alonso's fault that he got driven into the back of then... Thanks ITV.. :p : hamiltons in a heap o' trouble

BDunnell
6th April 2008, 12:48
That was either a brake test by Alonso or the most stupid bit of driving, on Hamilton's part, that I've seen for a while. But it will be easy to tell what happened via telemetry.

By the way, I too am becoming increasingly frustrated at the ITV concentration on Hamilton. While this is in one sense totally understandable given his prominence and the fact that this is a British channel broadcasting mainly to British viewers, they could give it a bit of a rest. James Allen has described the Alonso/Hamilton clash as 'controversial'. No, not yet it isn't. If it can be proved that Alonso deliberately gave Hamilton a brake test, then yes, it is controversial. If it can't, it isn't.

Osella
6th April 2008, 12:50
That was either a brake test by Alonso or the most stupid bit of driving, on Hamilton's part, that I've seen for a while. But it will be easy to tell what happened via telemetry.

Not neccessarily, did anyone see the way in Australia that Kovalainen passed Alonso when Fernendo got the Renault up on the kerb and spun the tyres and "didn't accelerate properly" so got passed easily.
Looked pretty darn similar to me this time, except Hamilton didn't pass him, he ran into him...

Osella
6th April 2008, 12:52
P.S. Anyone see how Heidfeld's quietly climbing his way up the field again ;)

Tazio
6th April 2008, 12:55
P.S. Anyone see how Heidfeld's quietly climbing his way up the field again ;) I got my eye on that rascal!

osg
6th April 2008, 13:12
The engraver has just started engraving the "F" on the trophy people.

Tazio
6th April 2008, 13:14
The engraver has just started engraving the "F" on the trophy people.Come on dude don't bad vibe us :p :

Tazio
6th April 2008, 13:28
Hamilton between Massa and Kimi advantage Massa

CaptainRaiden
6th April 2008, 13:29
What the hell is up with Hamilton's hand signals? Is he hallucinating, where somehow he thinks he is leading the race??

Really childish and arrogant IMO.

Tazio
6th April 2008, 13:36
What the hell is up with Hamilton's hand signals? Is he hallucinating, where somehow he thinks he is leading the race??

Really childish and arrogant IMO.
whats up at petrolheads? I'll check you guys out Peace

veeten
6th April 2008, 14:16
Good for Ferrari, the win is.

Still, I like Kimi's anthem better. ;) :)

VkmSpouge
6th April 2008, 14:25
Felipe Massa getting a well deserved victory, he drove well all weekend and gets a much needed kick start to his season. Raikkonen somewhat subdued in second place, couldn't really match his team mate. Robert Kubica got what was probably the best result he could hope for in third place. Nick Heidfeld beating Heikki Kovalainen quite comfortably, BMW Sauber have the edge on McLaren in terms of performance if the last two races are anything to go by.
Lewis Hamilton had a dreadful couple of opening laps. He utterly messed up the start and then drove into the back Alonso, I'm more inclined to think Hamilton was at fault there but I'll hold off a final judgement until more is revealed.

F1boat
6th April 2008, 14:28
Great race for Ferrari! Well done!

yodasarmpit
6th April 2008, 14:30
This is shaping up to be a good season, quite a few drivers and cars capable of winning, such a change from the years of Schumi strolling it.

ten-tenths
6th April 2008, 15:14
yup, very close fight.

what a horrible weekend for hamilton.... utter disaster.

hugh_lee
6th April 2008, 15:34
yup, very close fight.

what a horrible weekend for hamilton.... utter disaster.

yup, he was reduced to making hand gestures after passing people he was racing with, like they were supposed to slide over and let him pass at his leisure. welcome to the world of backmarkers, just don't forget you're still racing.

Dave B
6th April 2008, 15:40
Unlike, say, Alonso who was gesticulating because he couldn't pass a Toyota on merit :p

ioan
6th April 2008, 15:45
You're losing me on this one VB. I changed my signature before the Aussie opener, reflecting who I expected to see fighting for the WDC.

Sorry to dissapoint you but Kimi already won a WDC title. Lewis already lost his first.

I'm also predicting Massa finishes behind Kimi, IF he finishes! :laugh:

Massa finished, easily first! I think next time you might wait for the laugh until the race ends! :laugh: :rotflmao:

ioan
6th April 2008, 15:50
P.S. Anyone see how Heidfeld's quietly climbing his way up the field again ;)

Yep, he isn't trying to steal the headlines with fast laps during practice and qualifying but is unbelievably steady in his racing pace!
He also passed quite a few cars on the track. I'll have to pick him Driver of the race, again!

F1boat
6th April 2008, 15:56
Yep, he isn't trying to steal the headlines with fast laps during practice and qualifying but is unbelievably steady in his racing pace!
He also passed quite a few cars on the track. I'll have to pick him Driver of the race, again!

And do you notice, that he is now 3 points behind the leader, ahead of Lewis, Kubica, Kovy, Massa...

Bagwan
6th April 2008, 15:57
Damned finger slipped off the LC button at the start , and the same damned finger slipped off the engine brakes button , just before the wing came off .

Solution obviously is to take off the offending digit , dropping weight ala Bob , but smaller percentage of muscle mass , and move the buttons .

ioan
6th April 2008, 16:06
And do you notice, that he is now 3 points behind the leader, ahead of Lewis, Kubica, Kovy, Massa...

Yep, he might not be spectacular but he is fast and steady, and finally has a car that is allowing him to show his strengths.

Damned finger slipped off the LC button at the start , and the same damned finger slipped off the engine brakes button , just before the wing came off .

Expect this to worsen as BMW are getting the better of them.

Garry Walker
6th April 2008, 16:41
Great race.
Massa did a perfect weekend.
Kimi wasn`t that good, but 2nd place is good enough.

Hamilton performed just as I want to see McLaren perform every race.

Eki
6th April 2008, 17:10
Good for Ferrari, the win is.

Still, I like Kimi's anthem better. ;) :)
Good choice, veeten, good choice.

markabilly
6th April 2008, 17:39
Massa finished, easily first! I think next time you might wait for the laugh until the race ends! :laugh: :rotflmao:

I wonder if that was the result of a certain pit stop strategy pulling in Kimi early and first.......so FM could win easliy??
Perhaps to get a bosst on the confidence of Massa??

But of course, if that is true, then Ferari will clearly come right out and say so?
sure

and RD will also come right out and say what he really did to Freddie :D

Phoenix
6th April 2008, 17:46
I wonder if that was the result of a certain pit stop strategy pulling in Kimi early and first.......so FM could win easliy??

But of course, if that is true, then Ferari will clearly come right out and say so?
sure

and RD will also come right out and say what he really did to Freddie :D

Lewis has taken the blame for hitting Fred up the tailpipe.... See autosport.

ioan
6th April 2008, 18:23

Only that Kimi didn't manage to come close to Felipe the whole week end, not even when it mattered (ie. qualifying and race).

And why would Ferrari risk to have Kimi maybe in a situation to need those points at the end of the season?

I know you like to come up with controversies but this one was pretty clear since the start of the week end. Also Kimi didn't look like a happy man on the podium as he was clearly beaten by the team mate he though he was clearly better than.

Dave B
6th April 2008, 18:24
Lewis has taken the blame for hitting Fred up the tailpipe.... See autosport.
I'm only seeing the headline, the rest of the page seems to be blank.

Still, fair play for Hamilton for having the good grace to admit his shortcomings this weekend. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory at any point today.

Edit: the story's also on ITV-F1
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=42256

Juppe
6th April 2008, 18:48
Only that Kimi didn't manage to come close to Felipe the whole week end, not even when it mattered (ie. qualifying and race).

And why would Ferrari risk to have Kimi maybe in a situation to need those points at the end of the season?

I know you like to come up with controversies but this one was pretty clear since the start of the week end. Also Kimi didn't look like a happy man on the podium as he was clearly beaten by the team mate he though he was clearly better than.

This picture tells a different story about being happy...

Kimi was the first to admit that he really didn't have the speed to challenge Felipe all weekend, so don't try to think you know what he thought. He said that he had an off weekend and that second was a very good result for him under the circumstances.

janneppi
6th April 2008, 18:58

I thought Kimi was going to stay out a bit longer in the second stint as his first pitstop took a bit longer than usual, but apparently they had bit of problem with the lollipop light and he lost a bit of time there. Not that it played any part as he wasn't anywhere near challenging Massa today.

ioan
6th April 2008, 19:02
This picture tells a different story about being happy...

Kimi was the first to admit that he really didn't have the speed to challenge Felipe all weekend, so don't try to think you know what he thought. He said that he had an off weekend and that second was a very good result for him under the circumstances.

Each picture tells a different story, I think at that moment they were joking about that special juice they had to drink instead of champagne.
I will not start a pictures war with happy and unhappy Kimi as there are plenty for both sides. He looked not very happy after the race to me. I don't see nothing insulting in being unhappy because he didn't win.

truefan72
6th April 2008, 19:10
congrats to Massa
a bit dissapointed by Kubica...but not much
hugely dissapointed by LH. didn't perform on sunday, gave up the WDC lead. Let's ho[pe he's gotten his blunders out early.

Kimi was steady.
Heidfeld was solid.

The rest weren't out of order.

I have issues with DC consistently slamming the door shut on drivers.
Yes I know that he may have had the right of , but at somepoint you just have to concede the corner and figue the other guy did something unbelievable to get by you.

Force India were encouraging,but sutil was a dissapointment.

Juppe
6th April 2008, 19:21
Each picture tells a different story, I think at that moment they were joking about that special juice they had to drink instead of champagne.
I will not start a pictures war with happy and unhappy Kimi as there are plenty for both sides. He looked not very happy after the race to me. I don't see nothing insulting in being unhappy because he didn't win.

The main point of my post was against your notion that Kimi "though he was clearly better than (Massa)".

I've never heard Kimi saying or even implying anything that arrogant, so I think you got that one wrong.

As Kimi never is never happy when he doesn't win and even if he does mildly so - I think he seemed reasonably satisfied with the result.

PSfan
6th April 2008, 19:25
Just watching Speedtv's replay... How long has Honda had the "Macleran" horns?

ioan
6th April 2008, 19:34
The main point of my post was against your notion that Kimi "though he was clearly better than (Massa)".

I've never heard Kimi saying or even implying anything that arrogant, so I think you got that one wrong.

As Kimi never is never happy when he doesn't win and even if he does mildly so - I think he seemed reasonably satisfied with the result.

Ok my bad, he never said that he thinks he is better.

Juppe
6th April 2008, 20:49
Ok my bad, he never said that he thinks he is better.

Great victory from Massa under a lot of pressure. The way McLaren is struggling at the moment and BMW is taking points from them the WDC may very well be between Kimi and Felipe.

The next two tracks should suit Felipe very well, so it is not impossible for him to make it back at the top within two races only as the field is quite even.

Three races - three winners, should continue to be interesting.

BDunnell
6th April 2008, 21:39
I wonder whether Heidfeld could be a dark horse in the title battle, rather like Frentzen was in 1999?

tinchote
6th April 2008, 21:54
I wonder whether Heidfeld could be a dark horse in the title battle, rather like Frentzen was in 1999?

It's hard to say. For that to happen, maybe what would be needed is Ferrari and McLaren taking points off each other. Looking at today's race, it looked more like Ferrari ahead and BMW and McLaren in straight fight for second. Let's see after a couple more races.

CaptainRaiden
7th April 2008, 05:15
Kimi was running a race old engine. Did this ever cross the minds of people who are saying he was beaten by Felipe and blah blah? Kimi was slower than Felipe on the speed trap. Now, I'm not saying that made ALL the difference. Felipe was very, very good the whole weekend, but Kimi did the best he could on limited revs, and this is a better result than last year for him.

Congrats to Felipe, well done and a brilliant drive. But don't forget that this is the same guy who threw away the last two races on HIS own. Let's see how it goes in Spain. :)

leopard
7th April 2008, 05:56
That could be perfect achievement Ferrari, this can re-motivate Massa to bounce back.

Actually once Kimi can manage Kubica, my worries started. :)

wmcot
7th April 2008, 06:13
A Ferrari 1-2 when Kimi admitted his car was not good should have the rest worried if Ferrari gets Kimi's car right!

Impressive race by both BMW drivers. What happened to Kovalainen? Was McLaren really that much off it this weekend?

ioan
7th April 2008, 07:23
Kimi was running a race old engine. Did this ever cross the minds of people who are saying he was beaten by Felipe and blah blah? Kimi was slower than Felipe on the speed trap. Now, I'm not saying that made ALL the difference.

The engine in Felipe's car has done quite a few lap before too:
Malaysian GP Saturday free practice
Malaysian GP Qualifying
Half of the Malaysian GP

That's about 3/4 of a race week end!

And the whole Bahrain race weekend.

Given that the life of these engines is about 1300-1400 Kms and Felipe's had that engine for around 1150 Kms, you can see that he only had an advantage of about 15% out of the engine's total life.
And all these in case you want to be picky, because as we all know those engines are designed to last at least the 2 race week ends.

Felipe was very, very good the whole weekend, but Kimi did the best he could on limited revs, and this is a better result than last year for him.

Link please!

Congrats to Felipe, well done and a brilliant drive. But don't forget that this is the same guy who threw away the last two races on HIS own. Let's see how it goes in Spain. :)

Kimi also threw races away last season, and 2008 is just at the beginning, so don't count your bridges yet! :p :

Juppe
7th April 2008, 07:25
A Ferrari 1-2 when Kimi admitted his car was not good should have the rest worried if Ferrari gets Kimi's car right!

Impressive race by both BMW drivers. What happened to Kovalainen? Was McLaren really that much off it this weekend?

Heikki flat spotted his front wheel while battling with Kimi. This caused a lot of vibrations during the first stint and cost plenty of time. For some reason there was still plenty of understeer with his second stint with soft tires as well, but the last stint with harder tires was good after they made some changes during pitstop. The fastest lap time reflects this.

Without problems should've challenged BMWs more, but who knows?

ioan
7th April 2008, 07:41
Heikki flat spotted his front wheel while battling with Kimi. This caused a lot of vibrations during the first stint and cost plenty of time. For some reason there was still plenty of understeer with his second stint with soft tires as well, but the last stint with harder tires was good after they made some changes during pitstop. The fastest lap time reflects this.

Without problems should've challenged BMWs more, but who knows?

You're right Heikki did score the fastest lap.
However neither the Ferraris nor the BMWs tried to go as fast as they did in qualifying, not even as in Q3.

On the other hand Heidfeld did score the fastest lap in Malaysia too.

CaptainRaiden
7th April 2008, 08:49
The engine in Felipe's car has done quite a few lap before too:
Malaysian GP Saturday free practice
Malaysian GP Qualifying
Half of the Malaysian GP

That's about 3/4 of a race week end!

And the whole Bahrain race weekend.

Given that the life of these engines is about 1300-1400 Kms and Felipe's had that engine for around 1150 Kms, you can see that he only had an advantage of about 15% out of the engine's total life.
And all these in case you want to be picky, because as we all know those engines are designed to last at least the 2 race week ends.

During the live telecast, the commentators mentioned that Massa had in fact changed his engine for Bahrain, because he didn't finish the Malaysian GP. So, as per the free engine change rule, Ferrari decided to change the engine rather than take risks. Something they had been contemplating for the whole week.

And although I don't have any links for it, but again the commentators mentioned that Kimi's engine was one race old, and so he was on a bit more conservative engine mapping. Maybe that explains him being a bit slower than Massa on the speed trap. Those commentators have been right in the past, since of course they have their journalists at the venue talking to team officials.

Kimi also threw races away last season, and 2008 is just at the beginning, so don't count your bridges yet! :p :

Oh you just wait and see how Kimi does the double this season. I am even willing to bet my signature on it. ;)

Garry Walker
7th April 2008, 10:33

Why Heidfeld? He has been slower in 3 races in row compared to Kubica, Kubica is the danger for the title. Heidfeld probably not.

Kimi was running a race old engine. Did this ever cross the minds of people who are saying he was beaten by Felipe and blah blah? Kimi was slower than Felipe on the speed trap. Now, I'm not saying that made ALL the difference. Felipe was very, very good the whole weekend, but Kimi did the best he could on limited revs, and this is a better result than last year for him.

Felipe was running a race old engine just as well blah blah.
Being slower on the speed trap can be due to different wing-settings. Or it could be that Kimi was on limited revs, I don`t know. The former is more likely.

Link please!

Kimi did Q1 and Q2 on limited revs, but did Q3 on full revs. Massa, to my understanding, did all Q1, Q2 and Q3 on full revs. I have no info on the race.

During the live telecast, the commentators mentioned that Massa had in fact changed his engine for Bahrain, because he didn't finish the Malaysian GP. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/564495511__BAH_F1_2008_Report.pdf
Ferrari would have been stupid to change an engine with a lot of mileage left on it for a new one, considering the new one would have to do 2 full races in row.

So, as per the free engine change rule, Ferrari decided to change the engine rather than take risks. Something they had been contemplating for the whole week.

Ferrari would have been even more stupid to use free engine change rule (I am assuming you mean that rule, which allows one free engine change per season) allowance for this, as rules say you can change your if you fail to finish the previous race without a penalty.

And although I don't have any links for it, but again the commentators mentioned that Kimi's engine was one race old, and so he was on a bit more conservative engine mapping. Maybe that explains him being a bit slower than Massa on the speed trap. Those commentators have been right in the past, since of course they have their journalists at the venue talking to team officials. Who were your commentators? It seems they were out of it. I wouldn`t be surprised if one was Peter Windsor in his never-ending stupidity.
And I repeat, both were on old engines.

I am even willing to bet my signature on it. ;) But are you willing to bet something serious on it?

CaptainRaiden
7th April 2008, 11:15
Who were your commentators? It seems they were out of it. I wouldn`t be surprised if one was Peter Windsor in his never-ending stupidity. And I repeat, both were on old engines.

Well, then I guess the commentators were wayy off. One of them is Steve Slater, a bumbling idiot. The other one is the chief editor of f1racing.net. It seems they didn't have a clue, although they were too damn sure of this engine change. They read viewer emails every week on the show. Maybe I should mail them about this ignorance.

But are you willing to bet something serious on it?

Sorry, my station wagon is only for joyriding use.

ioan
7th April 2008, 12:20
During the live telecast, the commentators mentioned that Massa had in fact changed his engine for Bahrain, because he didn't finish the Malaysian GP. So, as per the free engine change rule, Ferrari decided to change the engine rather than take risks. Something they had been contemplating for the whole week.

And although I don't have any links for it, but again the commentators mentioned that Kimi's engine was one race old, and so he was on a bit more conservative engine mapping. Maybe that explains him being a bit slower than Massa on the speed trap. Those commentators have been right in the past, since of course they have their journalists at the venue talking to team officials.

I'll search for this info and see what it gives.
Anyway IF it's true, than Kimi should have an advantage next race, according to your own logics. What IF he loses again, what will be the excuse? ;)

Oh you just wait and see how Kimi does the double this season. I am even willing to bet my signature on it. ;)

Sorry, I do not bet, it's just a principle.
Not that your sig would be worth it anyway! :p :

Tazio
7th April 2008, 17:32
Dudes My computer crashed during the race This is My first transmission!
If this has already been beaten to death I apologise!
Can Hamilton's poor Launch be atributed to a relapse of (in Markabillies words) " Premature Flic-uation"

jens
7th April 2008, 20:35
I'm genereally satisfied with the results: Massa first, BMWs strong, Trulli in the points.

Another good drive by Webber and finally the car seems reliable. :up: Rosberg had a so-so race. At the start of the looked really quick and was right at the gearbox of Trulli, but then faded.

It must be also said that Force India made the right decision by hiring Fisichella. He has been a valuable asset for the team - he seems to enjoy racing and is really flying. It can be said that the 'good old Fisi' is back - shining in a backmarker team and destroying his highly rated team-mate. Fisi seems to be a Frentzen-like driver as he needs the right environment for excelling and he seems very comfortable in the team. Fun to see him battling against Honda, Renault and STR (well, he finished way above Bourdais in that race).

Fastest laps comparison:
11 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Ferrari 1:35.057
12 6 Nelsinho Piquet Renault 1:35.129
13 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:35.194

:laugh: Oh the irony!!

airshifter
8th April 2008, 00:34
Sorry to dissapoint you but Kimi already won a WDC title. Lewis already lost his first.
:

Exactly my point. Kimi was gifted a title due to Hamilton tossing it. Hamilton is hoping not to toss another, while Kimi should win his on track. Of course, it should be easier for Kimi if Lewis keeps defeating himself early rather than late in the season.

Massa finished, easily first! I think next time you might wait for the laugh until the race ends! :laugh: :rotflmao

Felipe ran a great race and bested Kimi without doubt. Of course this brings him to where in the WDC standings? :laugh:

I still don't quite understand the reasoning for the second stops changes. Unless the coverage was off, they said Kimi pitted around 5 laps early, and Felipe immediately countered by pitting early. I would have though even if they both needed fresh tires that the weight advantage by Feliple staying out would have more than overcome the fresh tires, and that by staying out until at least confirming Kimi was slower would have been more logical.

Either way it worked, it just seemed to not be the first step to take to counter someone that has just added fuel load early.

And for the record, I don't think there was any error in the lights on Kimis stop. They were refueling until just before he left. I think he took extra fuel hoping to pass Feliple on the second stop, and then struggled when the tires started going off.

KUBICA!!!

Tazio
8th April 2008, 01:02
I still don't quite understand the reasoning for the second stops changes. Unless the coverage was off, they said Kimi pitted around 5 laps early, and Felipe immediately countered by pitting early. I would have though even if they both needed fresh tires that the weight advantage by Feliple staying out would have more than overcome the fresh tires, and that by staying out until at least confirming Kimi was slower would have been more logical.

Either way it worked, it just seemed to not be the first step to take to counter someone that has just added fuel load early.

And for the record, I don't think there was any error in the lights on Kimis stop. They were refueling until just before he left. I think he took extra fuel hoping to pass Feliple on the second stop, and then struggled when the tires started going off.

I think Ferrari is playing it very clever. I think they want to get back to where they were before
they were compromised to the tune of 780pages
I think DS, and Dye are the young lions They not only have to fight the strategic and technical prowess of McLaren.
There is also DR Mario, and his contingent that may not quite have the machinery.
But I believe over the last two years they have established themselves as being very savvy in qualifying, and race strategy.
I fully expect Ferrari to address this challenge the only way that you can secrecy!
I would suggest getting used to them doing a few unorthodox maneuvers! They have to
that Theisen (sp) is a sneaky little $#!t ;)

leopard
8th April 2008, 03:42
Fastest laps comparison:
11 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Ferrari 1:35.057
12 6 Nelsinho Piquet Renault 1:35.129
13 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:35.194

:laugh: Oh the irony!!
Fastest lap just doesn't have positive correlation with where the driver finished the race. Strategy determines more. Massa sets fastest laps in many race, but doesn't warrant him winning the race. ;)

ioan
8th April 2008, 08:46

Felipe had the pace to counter every time Kimi tried to get closer.
As a result Kimi might have tried a bit too hard and hammered his tired in the process, thus maybe needing to stop earlier than normal.
As for the first pit stops, Massa stopped 1 lap later and was standing still for 0.8 less seconds than Kimi.
0.8 seconds mean about 8-9 liters of fuel less, that means 3 laps.
This might have given Kimi 2 more laps than Felipe for the 2nd stint if both pitted with the same amount of fuel in the car.
I'm not sure he could have made up for 4 seconds in 2 laps anyway given that at the first round of stops Felipe's out-lap was faster than Kimi's.

As for the refueling lights, I have no idea as I wasn't watching them.

Shalafi
8th April 2008, 09:51
Kimi didnt get the car setup to work like he would of hoped for. Massa was clearly faster for the whole weekend. There was no need to overdrive and try to challenge Massa because that might of lead to errors. Better to drive to second place, take 8 points in a less than perfect weekend and move on. Thats the way to win championships. Very mature thinking by Kimi. Ferrari has a fastest car, no need to take risks at this point.

ioan
8th April 2008, 09:56
Kimi didnt get the car setup to work like he would of hoped for. Massa was clearly faster for the whole weekend. There was no need to overdrive and try to challenge Massa because that might of lead to errors. Better to drive to second place, take 8 points in a less than perfect weekend and move on. Thats the way to win championships. Very mature thinking by Kimi. Ferrari has a fastest car, no need to take risks at this point.

Exactly, he is in a position where he can afford driving a conservative race.

Tazio
8th April 2008, 20:02
I always find it interesting what the drivers have to say
A well deserved victory!

"I was not any more nervous than usual before the start on Sunday. We know the job we have to do and I was not affected by all the comments in the media about me. I knew I was sitting in the cockpit of a good car and would have a good pace, so I was calm and ready to do everything right."

http://www.theprancinghorse.co.uk/news/04_apr/2008/14.html

"One thing that is clear after the three races we have had so far, is that BMW has really made a step forward. But at the moment, it is hard to tell if they might be able to help us by taking points from McLaren or if they now have to be seen as genuine title contenders in their own right. It seems that at the moment McLaren and BMW are at the same level and we will have to watch both of them closely"

janneppi
8th April 2008, 21:55
I always find it interesting what the drivers have to say

"I was not any more nervous than usual before the start on Sunday. We know the job we have to do and I was not affected by all the comments in the media about me. I knew I was sitting in the cockpit of a good car and would have a good pace, so I was calm and ready to do everything right."

http://www.theprancinghorse.co.uk/news/04_apr/2008/14.html

Oddly enough, that's the opposite of what Massa said how he felt during the race in the race press conference where he pretty much said he felt the pressure from the previous bad races.

Or was that just what Ferrari's press guys want to publish. :)

Tazio
8th April 2008, 22:53
Oddly enough, that's the opposite of what Massa said

Or was that just what Ferrari's press guys want to publish. :)
I'm glad you brought that up! BTW it is definitely what the Ferrari press want to publish.
Or maybe upon further reflection he decided that he wasn't sweating bullets before that race ;)

Getting back to the press conference there seemed to be some good spirited
(Kimi was smiling) ribbing about this not being a circuit that Kimi cares for.
This exchange was separate from set up issues. What is your take on that? What is it about that course
that isn't to Kimi's liking?

airshifter
9th April 2008, 00:33
Felipe had the pace to counter every time Kimi tried to get closer.
As a result Kimi might have tried a bit too hard and hammered his tired in the process, thus maybe needing to stop earlier than normal.
As for the first pit stops, Massa stopped 1 lap later and was standing still for 0.8 less seconds than Kimi.
0.8 seconds mean about 8-9 liters of fuel less, that means 3 laps.
This might have given Kimi 2 more laps than Felipe for the 2nd stint if both pitted with the same amount of fuel in the car.
I'm not sure he could have made up for 4 seconds in 2 laps anyway given that at the first round of stops Felipe's out-lap was faster than Kimi's.

As for the refueling lights, I have no idea as I wasn't watching them.

I agree Massa had the better pace, I just don't see what he had to gain by pitting when he had several laps of fuel left. Kimi couldn't catch him on low fuel, surely he couldn't catch him after a stop. ;)

ioan
9th April 2008, 08:09
I agree Massa had the better pace, I just don't see what he had to gain by pitting when he had several laps of fuel left. Kimi couldn't catch him on low fuel, surely he couldn't catch him after a stop. ;)

That's a good question. Maybe after all they had a slight lights problem with Kimi's stop and that's why everyone thought he took more fuel on. We should see if we can get the timing for how long there was fuel going into the car.

Dzeidzei
9th April 2008, 08:41
That's a good question. Maybe after all they had a slight lights problem with Kimi's stop and that's why everyone thought he took more fuel on. We should see if we can get the timing for how long there was fuel going into the car.

Kimi said after the race that Ferrari had problems with their new pit light system (didnt see that, but did they get rid of the old lollipop?) which cost him a few seconds. Anyway, he also said that he could not match Felipe´s pace during the whole weekend. And as Felipe didnt make any mistakes, he never had a real chance.

Kimi has never really liked Bahrain and was satisfied with the 2nd place and the lead in wdc.

ioan
9th April 2008, 08:50
Kimi said after the race that Ferrari had problems with their new pit light system (didnt see that, but did they get rid of the old lollipop?)

Yep, no more lollipop man.

which cost him a few seconds.

Maybe a few tenths of a second. His stop was 8.2 seconds. Others did 7.x - 8 seconds.
Not that this would have changed anything, as you pointed it out already.

Storm
9th April 2008, 12:34
I am not a fan of his, but Massa did a excellent job under pressure to win the race ...almost flawless performance and with the Ferrari 1-2 its looking like a race between the teammates now unless BMW can do more.

airshifter
10th April 2008, 01:14
Kimi said after the race that Ferrari had problems with their new pit light system (didnt see that, but did they get rid of the old lollipop?) which cost him a few seconds. Anyway, he also said that he could not match Felipe´s pace during the whole weekend. And as Felipe didnt make any mistakes, he never had a real chance.

Kimi has never really liked Bahrain and was satisfied with the 2nd place and the lead in wdc.

On Speed Channel they almost always time fuel delivery, and then estimate laps. It's very rare they are off by more than a lap or two, and they estimated Kimi had 5 or 6 laps of fuel left, and Massa had 4 or 5 left.

It seemed to me Kimi pulled away as soon as the rig was clear, and there was no delay from the lights. The angle was from behind the light bar setup, but unless they really pushed their luck it seemed a normal stop with no delays.

Their theory was that Felipes tactician just changed right after Kimi to be safe. It just seemed to me it would be safer to widen the gap.

In any case, great drive by Felipe. If he can do that consistently they will be back in the chase for the constructors title, and he should rise to challenge for the WDC as well.

ioan
10th April 2008, 07:10
On Speed Channel they almost always time fuel delivery, and then estimate laps. It's very rare they are off by more than a lap or two, and they estimated Kimi had 5 or 6 laps of fuel left, and Massa had 4 or 5 left.

It seemed to me Kimi pulled away as soon as the rig was clear, and there was no delay from the lights. The angle was from behind the light bar setup, but unless they really pushed their luck it seemed a normal stop with no delays.

Their theory was that Felipes tactician just changed right after Kimi to be safe. It just seemed to me it would be safer to widen the gap.

In any case, great drive by Felipe. If he can do that consistently they will be back in the chase for the constructors title, and he should rise to challenge for the WDC as well.

Maybe they estimated that he was going to have traffic later and decided that as soon as Kimi pits they would do it also. It's the only explanation I can think about.

wmcot
10th April 2008, 07:21
Yep, no more lollipop man.

Why? Can they use the extra man in the pitstop if nobody has to hold the lollipop?

Hawkmoon
10th April 2008, 07:44
Why? Can they use the extra man in the pitstop if nobody has to hold the lollipop?

I don't think there are any restrictions on the number of people allowed to work on the car. The only reason for lights over the lollipop guy that I can see is that Ferrari must feel that there is less chance of the lights letting the car go prematurely than there is of the lollipop guy doing it.

Considering how many times it happens they may be right.

ioan
10th April 2008, 07:53
I don't think there are any restrictions on the number of people allowed to work on the car. The only reason for lights over the lollipop guy that I can see is that Ferrari must feel that there is less chance of the lights letting the car go prematurely than there is of the lollipop guy doing it.

Considering how many times it happens they may be right.

I'm expecting to see the other teams taking the same route in the near future.

PS: I think the lollipop man is still there but all he does is indicate the driver where his pit area is.

Garry Walker
10th April 2008, 12:05

They had a lights problem and Kimi lost 2 seconds due to that.

Maybe a few tenths of a second. His stop was 8.2 seconds. Others did 7.x - 8 seconds.
Not that this would have changed anything, as you pointed it out already.

I think it was 9,2 seconds, not 8,2

Peter windsor and Co again got it all wrong, they are a pathetic bunch.
Kimi simply had to make a pitstop because he had no fuel left and same was the case for Felipe.

Tazio
13th April 2008, 10:00
If you didn't pay attention to the speculation of the commentators,
and simply watched the race, It appears that Massa had a better go than Kimi,
and drove a wining race. What is so hard to accept about that?