PDA

View Full Version : Betrothed!

slinkster
3rd April 2008, 13:13
I got engaged last week. :)

I was in New York for my birthday and my boyfriend popped the question after a lovely meal in Greenwich Village. I could tell he was actually really nervous because he didn't smile when he said it and his voice went kinda wobbly.

It's funny, he was really against marriage when I first met him. Didn't believe in it and thought it was a waste of time and then four years later he's down on bended knee.

It feels wierd. But nice.

Anyway, my question is, how did you pop the question if you have done? If not... will you ever? Are you bothered at all about marriage or is it the best choice you've ever made?

J4MIE
3rd April 2008, 14:25
Congratulations! :bounce: :up:

veeten
3rd April 2008, 14:27
Yay! :D Here's to the happy couple. :)

Cheers! :beer:

MrJan
3rd April 2008, 14:55
Congratulations. I myself am single but my Dad proposed just as him and my Mum were going on holiday to Barbados. On the way up he just said "I thought we'd get married while we were there" and my Mum having been waiting for bloody years just said "Hmm, that'd be nice". Proper romance ;)

slinkster
3rd April 2008, 15:14
:) Thanks guys! Mr Jan Yeo, that sounds like how my parents got engaged too. Much less planning on both parts... they sorta walked into it too. At least they had a nice barbados setting for it though. :)

Sleeper
3rd April 2008, 16:06
Congratulatins Slinkster.

Honestly, I cant say that I've ever given it much thought.

MrJan
3rd April 2008, 16:38
:) Thanks guys! Mr Jan Yeo, that sounds like how my parents got engaged too. Much less planning on both parts... they sorta walked into it too. At least they had a nice barbados setting for it though. :)

It sounds nice but the reality was a lot less appealing. The whole thing was a thinly veiled excuse for my Dad to have a surfing holiday. In fact about 1 hour before the wedding my Mum was worrying that he'd been eaten by a shark or something when in fact he was just having 'one last wave' ;) Personally I think he's a legend for it but my Mum is not so sure :p :

SOD
3rd April 2008, 16:43
*dusts off the martital magic wand* :D

just kidding

congrats!

GridGirl
3rd April 2008, 17:03
I'm not married or engaged but at New Years quite a few of mine and my partners female friends were asking when we were going to get engaged. Scary thought.

Never been proposed to and definately wasn't going to do it myself on Leap Year day. I like the idea of being married but don't like the idea of a big white wedding. I would definately want to elope. :)

Congratulations Slinky. Will it be a short or a long engagement?

LeonBrooke
3rd April 2008, 21:43
Congrats Slinkster :)

Drew
3rd April 2008, 22:13
Congratulations Slinkster!

Marriage isn't really appealing to me atm, but i'm not head over heels in love with anybody and the whole wedding thing scares me big time!

I wish you both the best of luck!

RichardM
3rd April 2008, 22:42
Given this is a motor sports forum, a short bit about our wedding 20 years ago. We were married in a park. The "aisle" was marked with arrows from rallying. At the head of the aisle where the Justice of the Peace was, was a triple caution. Our rally friends appreciated it. :)

leopard
4th April 2008, 07:45
Married young is nice. :)

schmenke
4th April 2008, 14:58
Congrats Slinky! :up:
When's the big day?

slinkster
4th April 2008, 20:40
gridgirl, schmenke, it will definitely be a long engagement if only for the fact that we have absolutely no money to fund a wedding. Even a little one. Two of my friends are intent on planning it all regardless... with or without my involvement! hehe

Brown, Jon Brow
4th April 2008, 21:55
I'll have to get a new suit!!

:up: :beer:

Eki
5th April 2008, 18:38
Everyone loves a Slinky, but just one can engage her. Congrats!

Erki
6th April 2008, 14:48
I'm unsure about it, maybe when I'm married or something. :dozey:

Congrats, Slinky. :)

jso1985
7th April 2008, 00:06
Congrats slinky :) :up:

I might start thinking about marriage and more serious relationships the day I actually date some woman that isn't a psycho-nutter :p