PDA

View Full Version : Driver's studies

kernel_gdi
3rd April 2008, 00:26
hi

i just was curious about what the drivers have studied (in case they have studied...). For example, Sainz studied economics I think.

COD
3rd April 2008, 04:23
Loeb is an electrician?, Hirvonen a mechanic and Latvala has only barely had time to graduate from High School :laugh: , but with good grades.

tmx
3rd April 2008, 04:25
from what i know:
loeb - acrobat
gronholm - farmer
atkinson - broker
vatenan - parliamentary, after rallying
p.solberg - disco dancer, lol

farquar wrc
3rd April 2008, 08:40
Colin Mcrae was a plumber

Magnus
3rd April 2008, 09:34
Sainz studied law, and I believe he has a degree

BDunnell
3rd April 2008, 11:15
Two older world champions have degrees. Miki Biasion studied architecture, and Hannu Mikkola (if I remember correctly) did mechanical engineering.

Gard
3rd April 2008, 12:47
Petter was a painter

AndyRAC
3rd April 2008, 13:07
Pons was a learner driver........

MrJan
3rd April 2008, 13:10
Pons was a learner driver........

I thought he still was ;) :p : :D

Mihai
3rd April 2008, 18:27
JWRC young sensation Sebastien Ogier is a ski instructor.

Manfred Stohl's codriver Ilka Minor-Petrasko is some sort of civil engineer.

Mickey T
4th April 2008, 01:04
chris has a business degree - and did it on a full academic scholarship.

Glee
4th April 2008, 05:56
Some more info here:
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117755&highlight=daytime

Iskald
4th April 2008, 10:25
Petter was a painter

The Solberg brothers hasn`t exactly excelled in their studies. Petter had a school essay returned from his teacher with the comment "Nice story, but maybe somewhat old-fashioned in writing style". It turned out he had let his grand-mother write the essay!

Henning has been a carglass-fitter among other things. He is however extremely skilled as a mechanic and could possibly end up as a proper rally engineer if he wanted to.

turves
4th April 2008, 12:36
Matt Wilson studied zoology, in particular the pace of snails... :laugh:

Karukera
7th April 2008, 09:26
Had some good laugh here. :)

François Chatriot aka 'le Chat' (the Cat), 1989 and 1990 French Rally Champion with a handful of podiums on the Corsica round is a Doctor in medecine.

WRCfan
12th April 2008, 01:36
Someone mentioned Sainz above, he is a qualified lawyer.

When younger he told his father he wanted to be a Rally driver, his dad said yes no problem however you will go to university and get a degree in something to back you up in life, once this is done you may go and chase your dream of being a rally driver. So he did and had one very sucessful career in WRC and other motorsports.

Interesting story about Carlos.

BDunnell
12th April 2008, 12:42
This is slightly off-topic in the WRC forum, but I like the comment on the website of Stephen Jelley, who now drives for Team RAC in the British Touring Car Championship, and has a degree in Fine Arts. He says of this: 'I feel my creative side gives me a real edge that others can't replicate. An artistic degree teaches you how to articulate and express yourself. This makes a massive difference when describing driving and performance sensations/emotions/nuances to your engineers and mechanics.'

I must say, I've never heard any of that said before!