PDA

View Full Version : Is Wilson's height a problem?

Mad_Hatter
1st April 2008, 23:54
I came across this picture. Clearly Justin Wilson's helmet is obstructing the airbox a bit. Is this going to be a problem in getting performance out of his engine?

http://www.sutton-images.com/previews%5Cdne0828ma117.jpg

Hoop? Anyone else?

DBell
2nd April 2008, 02:11
It was a problem for him in F1 and I'll bet it'll be an issue for him in any N/A open wheel car. Unless a series sets design parameters of the chassis to include taller people.

seppefan
2nd April 2008, 13:14
The Panoz was a wider cockpit and he was comfortable. The Indycar is a tight fit for him.

mikiec
2nd April 2008, 15:24
The Panoz DP-01 was specifically designed with his height in mind.

I can't see that it would 'block' the air intake as there's quite a gap between the back of the helmet and the intake hole. I'm no expert on aerodynamics/air-fluidity, but I would think that the air will probably flow over/around the helmet, but it might cause some turbulence before the intake, particularly, there might be a bigger low-pressure area or vortex behind the helmet than with other drivers. Whether that would reduce the air-pressure in the intake, I don't know.

I would have thought that the more important factor would be safety given that his head is less protected the higher it is out of the cockpit.

garyshell
2nd April 2008, 16:17
The Panoz DP-01 was specifically designed with his height in mind.

I can't see that it would 'block' the air intake as there's quite a gap between the back of the helmet and the intake hole. I'm no expert on aerodynamics/air-fluidity, but I would think that the air will probably flow over/around the helmet, but it might cause some turbulence before the intake, particularly, there might be a bigger low-pressure area or vortex behind the helmet than with other drivers. Whether that would reduce the air-pressure in the intake, I don't know.

I would have thought that the more important factor would be safety given that his head is less protected the higher it is out of the cockpit.

Hoop? Where are you bud? Tamburello, what about you?

Parenthetically, what was the cartoon character from the 60's that would go off on some time travel and then when he got into trouble yell for help from Mister Wizard? We need our Mister Wizard (Hoop or Tamburello) to sort this out. Or maybe even Jon Beekhius!!!

Gary

Hoop-98
2nd April 2008, 16:36
If it's Tuesday I must be in GA. Yes, I think his height is a disadvantage but I don't have any way of quantifying it. We should be bale to tell something at Indy.

rh

nigelred5
2nd April 2008, 16:46
I've seen tech reports in the past about taller drivers helments affecting the airflow into the intake, however I agree the more pressing problem for him is actually fitting inside the car. He can't be very comfortable, but then I'm sure he's used to that by now. GR isn't much shorter than JW, so he may have issues as well.

Hoop-98
2nd April 2008, 20:27
At Indy I think the scoop is worth 20HPand 18 HP is one mile an hour or so. So the worst case scenario I can imagine is 2 or 3 HP or about .1-.16 MPH.

rh

ykiki
2nd April 2008, 21:23
Hoop? Where are you bud? Tamburello, what about you?

Parenthetically, what was the cartoon character from the 60's that would go off on some time travel and then when he got into trouble yell for help from Mister Wizard? We need our Mister Wizard (Hoop or Tamburello) to sort this out. Or maybe even Jon Beekhius!!!

Gary

Mr. Peabody & Sherman?

garyshell
2nd April 2008, 22:03
Mr. Peabody & Sherman?

Nope I know that one very well! Bullwinkle was, and still is, my all time favorite cartoon. Peabody always went WITH Sherman on his travels. No, this one was a wizard who stayed behind and the time traveler went alone. I remember the last part of the wizard's rhyming incantations to bring the character back was "time for this one to come home". I have a vague recollection of the traveler being a turtle???? WOW am I ever taking this WAY off topic. Sorry Starter.

Gary

Hoop-98
2nd April 2008, 22:19
Tooter Turtle

Mild-mannered Tooter Turtle, voiced by Allen Swift, lived out his fantasies through the sorcery of Mr. Wizard, the Lizard of the Great Forest (voiced by Frank Milano).

http://www.toontracker.com/totaltv/tooter.jpg

rh

garyshell
2nd April 2008, 22:46
Tooter Turtle

Mild-mannered Tooter Turtle, voiced by Allen Swift, lived out his fantasies through the sorcery of Mr. Wizard, the Lizard of the Great Forest (voiced by Frank Milano).

http://www.toontracker.com/totaltv/tooter.jpg

rh

Hoop you ARE the man! How on earth did you EVER find that. I scoured the Internet during lunch today trying to find a reference. I went to the website you linked from and found this too:

Assuming many different identities, Tooter went from being a lumberjack to a taxi driver, from pre-historic times to the moon. He always wound up botching the jobs and getting in trouble. Crying out "Help, Mr. Wizard!", Tooter invoked the powers of Mr. Wizard to get him home. Mr. Wizard complied, with his magical chant: "Drizzle, Drazzle, Druzzle, Drome, time for this one to come home!"

It was that incantation that was stuck in my head.

Ok folks henceforth, when any of us need some "technical expertise" from Hoop, we shall don the persona of one Tooter Turtle and beseech "Help, Mr. Wizard!".

Gary

....we now take you back to your regularly scheduled broadcast, er forum...

Hoop-98
2nd April 2008, 22:50
F1 cars take the helmet/air scoop interface very seriously. Even the high nose design plays a role.

rh

dataman1
3rd April 2008, 20:46
Another height issue is his knees. In the Lola he could not stretch his legs fully, meaning they rested on the bulkhead just ahead and to the side of the steering wheel. In the DP01 there was room for leg clearance. I have never seen a tall guy in an IRL car so I can not speak to that.

How about it Hoop? Will his or young Rahal's legs extend fully in the current tub?

Hoop-98
3rd April 2008, 20:47
Another height issue is his knees. In the Lola he could not stretch his legs fully, meaning they rested on the bulkhead just ahead and to the side of the steering wheel. In the DP01 there was room for leg clearance. I have never seen a tall guy in an IRL car so I can not speak to that.

How about it Hoop? Will his or young Rahal's legs extend fully in the current tub?

You know, I just don't know :)

rh

weeflyonthewall
4th April 2008, 17:55
So his performance leading P1 at St.Petes say anything?
http://scoring.indycar.com/2007/

Mad_Hatter
4th April 2008, 18:24
Thanks Hoop.

I'd think it would be less of a problem on a street course, but I must say I am surprised to see any of the transition teams leading anything this early in the season.

Good News.

dataman1
4th April 2008, 18:24
If anyone is in SP take a look at Wilson and Rahal in the car. Do their legs appear to be extended or bent. See earlier post above.

weeflyonthewall
4th April 2008, 23:35
Thanks Hoop.

I'd think it would be less of a problem on a street course, but I must say I am surprised to see any of the transition teams leading anything this early in the season.

Good News.

Why? They have the experience and drivers who can turn right and left. You may in for an even bigger surprise this weekend if they actually put some drivers on the podium. Oh wait, they only honor the race winner over in these quarters, too bad.

Hoop-98
4th April 2008, 23:37
mmmm I think a podium shot is likely, and yes there is a podium...

rh