PDA

View Full Version : Why are some teams so much better than others

colinspooky
1st April 2008, 19:42
I'll start - money.

I know that may be an obvious answer but with all the rules, all the scutineering, all the tests on the cars including engine parts, why is it there is still so much difference between the top and bottom teams. Generally, the racing is the closest in the world, but the same few teams still dominate while others struggle. And sometimes they use the same engine supplier.

I understand why in F1 - that really is cash but even then, they have tight rules but bodywork and aero can be so different.

So, do some NASCAR teams really use second hand engines? Doubt it. Or are some drivers just useless, or maybe have lost their nerve.

Or a combination of lots of these things and others.

Interested in your comments ladies and gents.

:)

wedge
1st April 2008, 23:33
Yep, money helps but like any other racing category good teams have good engineers and so forth.

But why is it the same big teams in NASCAR?

Part of the problem is because of restricted testing and the economies of scale of running a multi-car team. For example, Hendrick had the advantage of running 4 cars and therefore, compared to some teams, they had twice as much data on running the COT.

Mihai
3rd April 2008, 23:24
Due to the lack of interest by our American friends, I'll try to explain the issue as much as I understand NASCAR.

Factory-backed teams get all the new equipment, while others buy used cars from them. Big-budget teams spend a lot in testing and gathering all the best people around in a crew, while others get little or no testing and the best professionals they can afford (including race drivers).

Cars competing in NASCAR are very close to one another in terms of speed, but well-funded teams usually have the upper edge in finding what it takes to win races.

It's too bad that NASCAR completely lost its original purpose, which was to showcase the potential of real stock cars. Today's racing cars are specially built and don't have anything stock in them. But they usually provide good and entretaining racing for everyone (as long as Jr. wins).

JovialJooles
4th April 2008, 09:33
To be honest, this is a bit of an odd thread. It's a bit like asking why the sun comes up in the morning.

Perhaps that is why there has been a lack of response... just a thought. :)

BenRoethig
4th April 2008, 13:04
Business Savvy and an ability to know good people and where they fit. Money doesn't hurt, but as Red Bull will tell you if you don't understand the beast money alone isn't going to get you that far.

Aussie12
4th April 2008, 23:05
Luck comes into play.