PDA

View Full Version : Lost internet connection (Linksys WRT54G v8/Modem Motorola 5100)

kobefly
1st April 2008, 14:50
I would appreciate if someone can help me with this issue I am having.

I have cablemodem 1MB internet connection. The modem is a Motorola 5100 and the router a Linksys WRT54G v8.

I have 2 computers connected to the router. One via LAN cable and the other via wireless.

Sometimes, when I am using the connection (doesn't matter if it is for one or both computers) I stop being able to enter websites or, if I am playing some game online, it loses connection. The strangest thing is that if I am using msn messenger it will probably keep working (sending and receiving messages) and TeamSpeak (a software used for conference calls) also keeps working correctly.

I have different antivirus systems in each computer so I don't think it's a question of the machines blocking the connection and I don't think it's a question of the wireless as the problem happens in both computers the same way at the same time.

If I connect modem directly to my PC it works fine, so I know internet connection is coming with no issues to the modem.

I have already upgraded router's firmware but the issue remains the same.

Sometimes I am able to keep navigating by going to router's configuration site and releasing/renewing DHCP for it. However, this does not always solves the issue.

I have already tried disconecting and turning off computer, modem and router for several hours and turn all back again in this order: router, modem and computer waiting for each device to be ready to start the other. It will work but eventually it fails again.

I hope someone can help me with this issue that keeps bothering me.

Thanks,

Daniel
1st April 2008, 14:56
Check to see if you have quality of service enabled on the router. Used to cause issues on my ag241 sometimes when i was playing online games. Only problem is you might get packet loss or choke without QoS being enabled (if it is enabled). What configuration are both pc's? Have you updated all the relevant drivers?

kobefly
1st April 2008, 15:12
Check to see if you have quality of service enabled on the router. Used to cause issues on my ag241 sometimes when i was playing online games. Only problem is you might get packet loss or choke without QoS being enabled (if it is enabled). What configuration are both pc's? Have you updated all the relevant drivers?First of all, thanks for your help, I will check the QoS and see what happens.
About the drivers, yes, all updated.
What do you mean by configurations?
Both computer use Windows XP Professional, what else would you need to know?

Daniel
1st April 2008, 15:15
Do they use the same type of network card?

kobefly
1st April 2008, 16:34
No, one uses a usb wireless card. The other is connected with the original mother LAN connector with a cable to the router. But the problem is the same for both.

Zico
1st April 2008, 18:12
"If I connect modem directly to my PC it works fine, so I know internet connection is coming with no issues to the modem".
But if your speed falls below a certain cap, Ive noticed limited internet access similar to what you've described so could this be an internet traffic problem further confounded by having the traffic split between both machines rather than hardware/software? It may be worthwhile changing your modems channel ID even if only to rule it out.. its also worth knowing for future reference. ;)

Something I found out by chance, by studying the system..
I have a Motorola SB4100, often during during peak internet usage hours I get severely reduced connection speeds and the occasional Disconnect. To change the channel I visit my modems configuration address which for me is.. http://192.168.100.1/config.html Yours will be a different but your service provider should give you it by request.. well mine did !

This address will still work even if you have been Dc'd... On the top of the page click on the "Configuration" tab and change the value of your upstream ID to a number one above or below the current figure. Click on "save changes" and your modem will reset itself (usually takes 5-10 mins) and 9 times out of 10 the speed/disconnect issue will dissapear.

I believe this config pages upstream channel ID is what the Tech dept of your ISP will usually change should you have to call them to report the heavy traffic problem.. It should flag up automatically on their logging systems but it seems they dont have the manpower to keep everyone running smoothly. Saves you the usual half hour wait to have your Helpdesk call answered and having to listen to the crapest "music"? you've ever heard in your life.

kobefly
1st April 2008, 19:03
I have entered my modem's configuration page but did not have the courage to change it.
I haven't experience speed decreasing issue but I will give it a try anyway.