PDA

View Full Version : Help,,Anyone know of a CART/Champ Car sim?

chapparrel
30th March 2008, 21:24
I know there were a few stemmed from the F1 sim. If anyone can direct me that would be awesome

Pawprint
30th March 2008, 22:20
Champcar Challenge seems top of the searches, but no info available at this moment.

philipbain
4th April 2008, 08:38
The closest thing out there right now is the 2006 Champ Car World Series mod for rFactor, which is fabulously done, the cars look spot on and the dynamics of the cars seems to be accurate (I havnt dirven a real life Champ Car but have watched it a lot and it looks right!), you can find the mod here: http://rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=2006%20Champ%20Car%20World%20Series but you'll obviously need rFactor too which you can buy online from here: http://www.rfactor.net/

306 Cosworth
7th April 2008, 19:06
I know there was a Champ Car game for PS2 although might have been Indy Car (aren't they the same anyway!) Was crap any way (well I thought it was!)

woody2goody
10th April 2008, 11:11
Yeah I had IndyCar Series 2005 for PS2. Not bad but the tracks were easy to drive and the racing was hard. I didn't like it that much I preferred the IndyCar license in Toca 3.

xtlm
24th April 2008, 18:52
IndyCar series for the PS2 is mad fun and hard (except for the 2 superspeedways.....the ai aint so great there)

there was a CART game though for the Playstaion 1, and from what i remember it was awesome

also various old Cart games from the 90's on the computer, dunno how good they are though.....(i also think there was a ps2/arcase cart game....that was not a simulaton)

oh and the cart games and indcar games are not the same....indy car series only does ovals....cant wait till they make a new version with the road/street courses included

Shai-Hulud
28th April 2008, 15:52
also various old Cart games from the 90's on the computer, dunno how good they are though.....(i also think there was a ps2/arcase cart game....that was not a simulaton)

You're talking about Indycar Racing 1 and 2 (the latter re-released as CART racing a bit later) from Papyrus? While the first part is a bit primitive, its successor has aged quite well and is still enjoyable to race. Most importantly, there's an enthusiastic modding community that has kept the game up to date (for both Champcar and the IRL) with carsets and tracks that are either converted from other games or built from scratch.

Mixa
29th April 2008, 11:56
yeah there are some great CART mods to computer but I think like the one for Rfactor and its quite much used so I think its good. Also I think that for the grand prix series theres a CART mod,atleast I think Ive seen one.

At the early computers I only have had the Cart precision racing what you was able to get with the computer as your first game :P . It was quite an arcade game and steering was weird but once you get used for it it was an ok game. Ok its so old these days that it doesnt run at many of the computers.

At PS1 there was the one by the same team who done the F1 games for PS1 called Newman Haas Racing. There are the real drivers but only Newman Haas team cars are the only ones in real colours. Arcade game but funny to play :) . Also in PS1 might have had some other ones too but thats the one I remember.

At PS2 there were the Indy Car games and really arcade based CART Fury. I dont know how them were but by videos them looks to be ok. Ok in CART fury seems to some really weird stuff...

So there are some CART,Champ Car and IRL mods and games but Ive hardly played any of those so dont really know. Closest to sim it has to the Rfactor mod.

bblocker68
29th April 2008, 15:26
rFactor has more open wheel mods coming. There will be CCWS 2007 with the Panoz DP-01, CART 1995, CART 1998 and an IRL mod just came on the scene. You can find all of the mods and work in progress projects at rFactor Central.

johnny shell
29th April 2008, 16:15
In CART Fury I remember reading that there was one track with a shortcut - you could cut through the infield. on a dirt road. with jumps. and come out ahead of the competition.

good stuff!

xtlm
30th April 2008, 18:00
Yes, by those 'various 90's computer games' I was talking about Indycar Racing 1 and 2 and the precision racing one.

Anyone ever play "Indianapolis 500 : The Simulation"? The computer game from the 80's made by papryus?? that thing was amazing for its day (i recommend to try it)

Also while on the subject, anyonbe ever play the 'Indy500' game in the arcades made by sega?? I thought that game was great (shame it never took off like their other games daytona usa and virtua racing)

bblocker68
30th April 2008, 20:56
Didn't get to play it in Arcades, but I do remember, "Hi. I'm Paul Page and this is IndyCar Racing".

ICR1 was awesome.

Shai-Hulud
1st May 2008, 12:26
"Indianapolis 500: the Simulation" was what got me interested in indycar racing in the first place. Indeed a great game for its time. Contrary to indycar racing 1 and 2 that game doesn't run on systems with Windows XP though.

xtlm
3rd May 2008, 19:47
this is why there is a program called dosbox baby

it lets you play all the old games through it

Shai-Hulud
6th May 2008, 09:28
You're right; I immediately looked for dosbox and now the game runs perfectly! It's quite amazing how smooth Indy500 runs if you consider that it's nearly twenty years old. Unlike many of its contemporaries it's still playable without feeling ridiculous.

I'm particularly fond of this game because of the way it increased my understanding of the technical side of (indycar) racing; the default setups of my copy had been tampered with by someone to the extent of being completely useless, so to get a competetive car I had to basically start from scratch. Hence I started reading quite a lot about the different aspects of setting up a car and obviously did a lot of trial and error.