PDA

View Full Version : International TV Package

Crapwagons4Ever
27th March 2008, 12:18
One dissapointing aspect of the merged Indycar series is a poor international TV agreement.

International TV coverage seems to have been reduced for 2007, particularly in European market. In addition, it seems that the online streaming solution from indycar.com does not include a race feed and is designed to only be a suppliment to traditional coverage. Does anyone happen to know if there is work being done on either of these two fronts?

Ronan62
27th March 2008, 12:37
Thank you. I was about to ask the same question. I'm in France and I don't know if I'm gonna be able to watch the race. It's sad for the European fans.

millencolin
27th March 2008, 13:29
anyone heard any news for australian fans?

ozrevhead
27th March 2008, 13:41
If you have Foxtel/Austar its live on ESPN - next race is 11am sydney time I think

Dr. Krogshöj
27th March 2008, 14:30
I heard ESPN International will broadcast the races, which means we may catch the broadcastst via p2p streaming tv. Altough I think Race Control might be a better option if one wants to watch the races on a computer.

For those who still prefer a real TV screen, an armchair and a beer, torrent sites and dvd players will always be there, albeit not live.

joeswfc
27th March 2008, 16:41
does anyone know if Channel 5 or Five US are going to show highlights from ESPN like the last few years?

BobGarage
27th March 2008, 17:46
radiotimes.com lists the following (which they weren't listing earlier this week):

Indy Car

Monday 07 April
4:20am - 5:10am
Five

Motor racing action with the first round of the 2008 Indy Car Series from the Homestead Miami Speedway. With reigning champion Dario Franchitti having migrated to NASCAR, the stage is set for a new champion. Will British competitor Dan Wheldon be able to add to his already impressive trophy cabinet?

VIDEO Plus+: 5664484

joeswfc
27th March 2008, 17:51
Cheers Pal

millencolin
28th March 2008, 00:37
If you have Foxtel/Austar its live on ESPN - next race is 11am sydney time I think

bugger, i have to work then.... any word on a replay? or if channel 7 is taking it over since they had champcar rights

28th March 2008, 17:38
One dissapointing aspect of the merged Indycar series is a poor international TV agreement.

International TV coverage seems to have been reduced for 2007, particularly in European market.

Yes, it doesn't look good for Europe, so far at least. Looks like only UK/Ireland, Germany/Austria and possibly Italy will get decent coverage. Unless they have it on Eurosport or Motors TV in one way or another the perspective looks bleak for fans in other countries.

indycool
28th March 2008, 18:09
The complete worldwide network/channel schedule:

http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/2008_worldwide_tv.pdf

28th March 2008, 18:15
The complete worldwide network/channel schedule:

http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/2008_worldwide_tv.pdf

Yes, but no good news for many of European fans...

LuigiStone
28th March 2008, 18:24
Freaking POS Viasat dropped Indycar. They won't even answer my E-mail.

garyshell
28th March 2008, 18:27
Yes, but no good news for many of European fans...

Define many. I don't understand. I looked through the list and I see:

Austria AFN, Premiere (Germany)
Belgium BeTV; AFN
Croatia AFN

Czech Republic AFN; Galaxie Sport
Cyprus ESPN Middle East (ART); Lumiere TV, AFN
Denmark AFN
Estonia AFN

Finland AFN
France AFN

Georgia AFN
Germany Premiere, AFN
Greenland AFN

Hungary Sport Klub; AFN
Iceland AFN

Ireland BSkyB, AFN
Italy Nuvolari TV; Telecom Italia Media (LA7); AFN

Liechtenstein Premiere (German)
Lithuania AFN
Luxembourg AFN, BeTV, Premiere (Germany)
Montenegro AFN
Netherlands Sport 1; AFN
Norway AFN

Poland Sport Klub; AFN
Portugal AFN
San Marino Nuvoalri TV; Sky Italia; Telecom Italia Media (LA7)
Serbia Sport Klub, AFN

Slovak Republic AFN
Slovenia Sport Klub; AFN
Spain Canal Motor; AFN

Sweden AFN
Switzerland AFN; Premiere (German); Nuvolari TV (Italian)

Ukraine AFN
United Kingdom Sky, Channel 5; AFN
Vatican State AFN

Looks to me like many ARE covered. Or is this an issue with certain cable or satellite providers not making these affiliates available?

Gary

Lousada
28th March 2008, 18:46
What's AFN? Many of these 'non-AFN' broadcasters are paychannels so they only have limited coverage.

Henry Cutts
28th March 2008, 18:48
What's AFN? Many of these 'non-AFN' broadcasters are paychannels so they only have limited coverage.

I think it's American Forces network

BobGarage
28th March 2008, 18:49
Croatia AFN
Denmark AFN
Estonia AFN
Finland AFN
France AFN
Georgia AFN
Greenland AFN
Iceland AFN
Lithuania AFN
Montenegro AFN
Norway AFN
Portugal AFN
Slovak Republic AFN
Sweden AFN
Ukraine AFN
Vatican State AFN

Looks to me like many ARE covered.

looks like many countries are only getting coverage through AFN (american Forces Network or something similar). So unless you are in the US militay in those countries your not going to see it.

I'm fine as the UK is fully live with Sky Sports. However they are a subscription channel and mainly concentrate on football and I know a number of people who will not pay sky extra cash for their football dominated sports channels just to get a few indy car races per year. Channel 5 (free to air tv) do have highlights but it is 50 minutes at 4am on a wednesday morning 10 days after the race, which isn't exactly great, especially when you take the time out for ad breaks!

Crapwagons4Ever
28th March 2008, 20:11
Define many. I don't understand. I looked through the list and I see:

Gary

The issue is that unless I sign up for the military , I won't be getting "Armed Forces Network", which is 90% of their international coverage

That seems like a bit too much of a commitment to see an indycar race.

Its actually a sneaky trick to even list that one.

millencolin
29th March 2008, 04:45
lame!!! only ESPN Australia... even though i have ESPN, im not happy with that. Indycar can learn a thing or two from Champ Car, sort out its international coverage!

29th March 2008, 09:38
The issue is that unless I sign up for the military , I won't be getting "Armed Forces Network", which is 90% of their international coverage

That seems like a bit too much of a commitment to see an indycar race.

The entire Franco-Prussian war was fought over who had 'lumiere' rights for the Gordon Bennett trophy.

If you really are a fan, you'd sign up!!!!!

jso1985
31st March 2008, 03:32
When I was in Korea last year I got it on my hotel TV.

maybe because Korea has US Army bases?

I'm 100% sure AFN isn't offered on any Bolivian cable/satellite TV company. so probably AFN can only be seen on the US embassy

Rudy Tamasz
31st March 2008, 08:31
I haven't found it on either Eurosport or Eurosport 2 and know of no other option. I think that's the end of my romance with AOWR. It went wrong, sorry baby, I have to let you go.

LuigiStone
31st March 2008, 09:11
Download it.

mikiec
31st March 2008, 09:41
Premiere (Germany/Austria) on satellite has English audio from the International feed - not the same as ESPN, but better than nothing, plus they don't have advert breaks or cut away to the studio all the time during the races like Sky Sports does.

Commentary is nowhere near as good as CCWS's was - I miss Jeremy Shaw. I hope that the IRL can do a deal with Eurosport to get them to show it in the countries that aren't already contracted.... there's still a fair amount of European interest in AOWR.

F1boat
31st March 2008, 10:14
I hope so, too.

Ronan62
31st March 2008, 11:21
Download it.

Give me a link, please.

gm99
31st March 2008, 11:49
Austria AFN, Premiere (Germany)

Quite interesting to see that American Forces Network is supposed to be available in Austria, especially as the last American Forces left Austria in 1955 :D

MAX_THRUST
7th April 2008, 14:52
Two races gone and I have seen none of them!!!!!

Not because I'm a grumpy ex CCWS fan, refusing to watch. I'm busting my nutt to see the races but as Bob said I aint paying sky anymore money, I have to eat occasionally.

Please get Jeremy Shaw and Eurosport sorted out, get Europe properly covered, ditch SKY quick, but Sky got a deal years ago to show the INDY 500 exclusively, even when it was CART and CART was on Eurosport, the 500 was on SKY.

The reason CCWS was so popular in Europe was because we could see it, the IRL right now is way off my radar apart from this forum, thats desperate.

BobGarage
7th April 2008, 15:17
sadly maxy that isn't going to happen any time soon.

a few months ago they extended their contract to televise the who series for a further three years.

all13d
7th April 2008, 15:44
Give me a link, please.

I believe http://www.racing-underground.com/<link removed> has quite a few...resources you might want. You'll have to register, though.

MODS: I looked all over, and I couldn't find any rules prohibiting this. If it runs afoul of regulations, feel free to delete this post.

EDIT: Thanks for the warning, mikiec.

Lousada
7th April 2008, 18:27
Two races gone and I have seen none of them!!!!!

Not because I'm a grumpy ex CCWS fan, refusing to watch. I'm busting my nutt to see the races but as Bob said I aint paying sky anymore money, I have to eat occasionally.

Please get Jeremy Shaw and Eurosport sorted out, get Europe properly covered, ditch SKY quick, but Sky got a deal years ago to show the INDY 500 exclusively, even when it was CART and CART was on Eurosport, the 500 was on SKY.

The reason CCWS was so popular in Europe was because we could see it, the IRL right now is way off my radar apart from this forum, thats desperate.

I'm right there with you :( I hope Motorstv at least gets the rights to full race reruns, like they did with Champcar.

MAX_THRUST
8th April 2008, 09:51
I agree, I have sent an email to Eurosport, and the IRL. Motors TV are next to get one, but one email won't make a difference, but I was very polite.

Thanks to Bob posting the race on here for Monday 7.4.08, the only thing is I mistook that for Monday night Tuesday morning, not Sunday night Monday morning. DOH!!! That won't happen again. I do find watching highlighted races a drag though.

acorn
8th April 2008, 12:15
..... or cut away to the studio all the time during the races like Sky Sports does.

sky has only been showing nascar for just over a month now but fan power has prevailed and instead of cutting back to shots of the uk studio guests during the american breaks, they continue to show the on track action with voice overs (race analysis and answers to viewers emailed/texted questions)from the studio. so it can be done.

BobGarage
8th April 2008, 12:45
the problem is they don't give us an email address or txt number for the irl coverage like they do with nascar.

i have been sending contructive criticism to their nascar address (nascar@skysports.com) but I've never had a reply.

MAX_THRUST
9th April 2008, 14:23
Having dated someone who worked at Sky Sports in a fairly high possition ( now made redundant like many of there sporting staff), she explained how little effort is put into motorsport, especially NASCAR, when Sky first used to show it, half the staff saw it as a time to catch up on some sleep.

I'm sure little has changed. They probably still have no staff, and probably still don't care to much about NASCAR and the IRL.

However When Sky had CART for that one year, 2002 I think, I did subscribe as I had money and didn't mind paying for the IRL and CART/CCWS.

I think next year things may change, and I hope TG is smart enough to release a season review DVD on European format for those of us who have missed out. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. For years I wished CCWS/CART would, they didn't, when they did it was two dull seasons. 06 & 07.