PDA

View Full Version : McRae accident investigation

bryst
26th March 2008, 19:07
Did the accident investigators find out the cause of the crash or is the investigation still ongoing, I know these thing's take time but as far as I'm aware there hasn't been any conclusions to what happened yet.

wwbroe
26th March 2008, 19:16
I think you could start by writing Colin's name right, i think it is McRae.
For the rest i didn't hear anything about the investigation, so i don't know if it is still going on.

N
26th March 2008, 21:13
I was just thinking about it the other day, also M. Park accident, did they ever disclose what actually happened, apart from M.M. entering the corner too fast and hitting the tree sideways. I'm guessing that the new side protection being developed by FIA is the results of M. Park death?

Same with McRae, surely they have some info on what actually happened, it's been half a year.

MJW
26th March 2008, 22:29
With the helicopter crash the Air Accident Investigation branch takes a long time, it was just over a year for the report to be published after the Fisher helicopter accident in 2001.- it is an incredibly detailed and comprehensive report that is published. Available on the intranet if anyone is interested, search Air Accident Investigation Dept of Transport. As for rally accident Michael Park, and others I find that there seems to be a secrecy. No one (I hope) wants to know the sensational details, but as competitors, car builders (amateur) I think we can learn from the results of accidents if the investigation resullts are published. Back in 1994 after Rodger Freeth died there was some info published about anchoring seat belts in a different position. Morally this kind of info shoud be made available, even if it is only in a competitors bulletin for bona fide competition licence holders published by their ASN's.

Daniel
27th March 2008, 17:22
As an air crash it will be investigated and if UK aviation law is anything like Australian aviation law you'll probably find the outcome will be available to the public.

bt52b
28th March 2008, 02:16
Will probably be published in the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) monthly Bulletin at some stage:
http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/home/index.cfm

Zico
28th March 2008, 14:41
There was an article in the Sun newspaper today on the subject, Apparantly the investigation is ongoing, someone was videoing the flight onboard, the video camera was thrown clear, it survived intact and they are studying the footage to determine what went wrong.

They also maintain that Colin hadnt renewed his pilots licence for 2 years as they had reported previously, but lets wait and see what the UK Air Accidents investigations report says before believing what the media tell us.