PDA

View Full Version : March 25, Important Motorsport Date

DanicaFan
25th March 2008, 04:16
Today is a VERY important date in motorsports history..

March 25, 1982 - Danica Patrick was born in Beloit, Wisconsin !http://www.worldracingforum.com/images/smilies/extras/thumbsup.gif

Happy Birthday Danica!http://www.worldracingforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Dr. Krogshöj
25th March 2008, 06:41
Happy birthday, Danica.

BobGarage
25th March 2008, 07:59
who? never heard of her? is she a grid girl?

millencolin
25th March 2008, 10:10
I dont see it as a VERY important date. how is that more important than say... Will Power's birthday... or Dan Wheldon's birthday?

electron
25th March 2008, 11:48
feel free to get the nickname DanFan and start a thread about it ;)

happy BDay!

dataman1
25th March 2008, 12:50
Google "born on March 25th" and you will see names like:

Elton John
Howard Cosell
Gloria Steinem
St. Catherine of Siena

And Danica is there too.

mikiec
25th March 2008, 13:00
who? never heard of her? is she a grid girl?

Didn't you know... she's the saviour of AOWR!!! :rolleyes:

BobGarage
25th March 2008, 13:24
Didn't you know... she's the saviour of AOWR!!! :rolleyes:

still not heard of her, but I guess if she has such a title she has won many races through-out her career in all lower formula before Indy Cars? And must by now have won tens (if not hundreds) of Indy Car races and multiple titles. :p

surely only a person with such a record could be the "saviour of AOWR"? ;)

bblocker68
25th March 2008, 15:09
I remember her. She's the girl that AJ would beat every week in the Atlantics series...........and usually 3 or 4 other drivers.

All kidding aside, she needs to post a win for the best cars in the IRL to get any respect, since we CC folk have "invaded" what is now called the IndyCar forum. Dario won, Wheldon won, TK won, Marco won..................

SoCalPVguy
25th March 2008, 16:28
Per USA Today...

Danica Patrick criticizes new IRL weight rule
By Nate Ryan, USA TODAY

An Indy Racing League rule change has Danica Patrick feeling as if she'll be penalized for being petite — which the popular driver said wouldn't happen in other sports.

Starting this season, the minimum weight for IRL cars will include the driver, and Patrick is the series' lightest at 100 pounds according to the 2007 media guide (which lists other female drivers Milka Duno and Sarah Fisher at 120 pounds apiece; Ed Carpenter is the heaviest at 165).

"If someone's going to take the hit it's going to be me," Patrick said Thursday. "It's disappointing the league decided to do that. In so many other sports, athletes don't get penalized for being too strong, or too tall or too fast.

"(It's) just your God-given stature is being penalized. What am I going to do, though? It's not my decision. That's the people higher up (who) made their bed, and they've got to lay in it."

Patrick said she asked IRL officials about the reason for the change but said "they didn't really have one.

"I just follow the rules," she said. "Maybe I'll get more specific reasons somewhere down the line …"

IRL spokesman John Griffin said the rule was intended to reduce the difference between the lightest and heaviest drivers, which is a gap that can range from 75 to 100 pounds.

"We want to make absolutely clear this is not a Danica rule," Griffin said. "You look at guys like Dan Wheldon and Marco Andretti, and they're light guys."

Griffin wouldn't disclose the cars' minimum weight but said drivers are broken into three weight classifications. The heaviest would have weight reduced from its car while the lightest would have a maximum 35 pounds of ballast added.

"It's something that had been looked at and was in the back of our minds every year," Griffin said.

Patrick admits to having had a slight speed edge from weighing less in a sport where lighter means faster. An Associated Press story in 2005 reported rival teams estimated Patrick might gain nearly 1 mph because of her weight, and Sprint Cup driver Robby Gordon said he wouldn't race Patrick in the IRL until the series equalized weights as NASCAR's premier circuit does.

Patrick hopes to put the issue behind her by winning the season-opening Gainsco 300 at Homestead Miami Speedway on Saturday.

"Let's just do that," she said with a laugh, "and then I'll say, 'Why didn't you guys do this years ago?' "

COMMENTS:
"(It's) just your God-given stature is being penalized...." I smell a civil rights lawsuit pending *LOL*

COMMENT #2:
Shut Up and Drive !!!!

Quit whining about your past advantage you lost and still couldn't win with !!!!

LuigiStone
25th March 2008, 16:36
I hope she gets implants from her BF for her birthday.

gerkebi
25th March 2008, 16:59
I hope she gets implants from her BF for her birthday.

Boy will her husband be pissed!

bblocker68
25th March 2008, 19:18
He'll be even more ticked off when she starts eating 2 dozen doughnuts a day to get her weight up :)

JSH
25th March 2008, 19:44
Hey! You KNOW you've MADE IT when they list your birthday in Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_25#Events

Vegasguy
26th March 2008, 06:27
Per USA Today...

Danica Patrick criticizes new IRL weight rule
By Nate Ryan, USA TODAY

An Indy Racing League rule change has Danica Patrick feeling as if she'll be penalized for being petite — which the popular driver said wouldn't happen in other sports.

Starting this season, the minimum weight for IRL cars will include the driver, and Patrick is the series' lightest at 100 pounds according to the 2007 media guide (which lists other female drivers Milka Duno and Sarah Fisher at 120 pounds apiece; Ed Carpenter is the heaviest at 165).

Stop whining little girl..... been this way in other motorsports series for a long time.... the big guys on the block included. This actually takes away the unfair advantage you were given.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/6840/

"In addition to scrutineering, cars are also weighed throughout the Grand Prix weekend to ensure that they comply with minimum weight requirements (currently 600kg including driver, except during qualifying when it is 605kg). During practice and qualifying cars are called in at random to be weighed. After the race every car and driver is weighed."

DanicaFan
26th March 2008, 08:01
Im not sure how my birthday thread got twisted into the new weight rule but Danica wont have any problems with it. She will win this year and hush all the critics that said she had a weight advantage.

BobGarage
26th March 2008, 08:09
She will win this year

hahaha. no she won't.

Danica has not won a single race since her karting days. She failed to win in Formula Ford and Formula Vauxhallin Europe. She failed to win in Barber Dodge. She failed to win in Atlantics and she failed to win in 47 starts in Indy Cars.

She does not have the talent to win and Marty Roth will get an IndyCar victory before she does. (IMO) ;)

Lousada
26th March 2008, 09:52
If you don't like her you don't have to keep bashing her. You don't have a great opinion about her, we get it. Maybe you could start some positive threads about your own drivers instead of taking down others.

SoCalPVguy
26th March 2008, 16:58
Originally Posted by DanicaFan http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/aria/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=449421#post449421)
She will win this year

That's what you've been saying for years now...

I agree that "THE CALL" is imminent, especially since she is now w/ Andretti Green

I met her at Toronto about 5-6 years ago, and she was the most unapproachable, unfriendly, sour, surely sulker I have ever met. When contrasted to the friendly Sea-bass, it was a striking comparison that made her look even worse.
Here is a pic I took of her slinking away on a cart after finishing well back in the pack during the Atlantics race...
http://transfers.mep-llc.com/files/P1010030.JPG

BobGarage
26th March 2008, 18:50
If you don't like her you don't have to keep bashing her.

not once in this thread have I said i dont like her. I've never met her, never listened (or read) an interview with her. I have no opinion of her as a person.

However I have seen her drive. I saw her spin numerous times on pit lane last year alone. She, as a driver, does not deserve a drive with a top team in a top series. She doesn't (based on talent) deserve to be in a top series at all.

She was rushed into IndyCars as a marketing ploy. Yes, she is great for marketing purposes. But that one aspect does not merit a drive in a top team.

This is her second season with one of the best teams in IndyCar and if she does not win this year she should be dumped from the series completely. The newly "unified" series needs to built around drivers with talent.

Paul Dana died because he was not talented enough to be driving at this level. I wouldn't like to see that happen again and now we are unified we can start erradicating these type of drivers from the top level series.