PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Coast Motorsports Request

mlj
24th March 2008, 21:48
More fallout from IRL/Champ Car merger More evidence that the Champ Car teams got the short end of the stick with regard to the so-called IRL/Champ Car merger (Merger? Hardly)
AR1 post

"Due to the sudden demise of the Champ Car World Series, Southern California-based Pacific Coast Motorsports would like to announce the availability of their services. We welcome the opportunity to put our exceptionally experienced and highly capable championship winning team to work on your motorsports project. We would like to speak with anyone looking at the IRL, Grand Am, ALMS, Atlantic, IPS and Formula Mazda or any other form of Motorsports. As an ultra professional organization with the facilities, personnel and equipment capable of competing at the highest levels of motorsport on this continent, racing is what we do best, and we would love to take you to the front of your respective field. Please feel free to call or email us with any questions."

Tyler Tadevic, Team Owner: 760-831-0921
Michael Harvey, Team Manager: 805-760-1270

tbyars
24th March 2008, 22:01
Just wondering....how short would the end of that stick have been had the CCWS owners just decided to close up shop totally after Long Beach because they didn't want to spend any more of their money, leaving everyone without anywhere to go, and after the IRL was already well into their season?

Part of the BUSINESS of motorsports is recruiting the sponsorship to run the business. Some can, some can't.

That being said, my hat's off to Tadevic and Harvey for doing their best to make lemonaide out of lemons. I wonder how well they will be able to compete with Forsythe Performance, who is doing basically the same thing.

downtowndeco
24th March 2008, 22:56
Yes, you could say that some CC teams got the short end of the stick. Your opinion and mine might vary as to who handed it to them though.

!!WALDO!!
24th March 2008, 23:05
Yes, you could say that some CC teams got the short end of the stick. Your opinion and mine might vary as to who handed it to them though.

Instability late last year made it impossible for teams to secure money for 2008 since most corporate budgets are done by October 1st.

Didn't help the IRL either.

ezhop7
25th March 2008, 00:12
IRL/Champcar is no different than the NBA /ABA. In a merger or takeover some teams stay while others go out of business. It all comes down to proper money management. PCM may have been another GF puppet team , just as KK support Derrick Walker. If the recession even NASCAR teams such as the Woods Brothers and RYR are having difficult times. In racing just like any other professional sport the owners are in business to make money, the fans are their for entertainment!

bblocker68
25th March 2008, 01:02
It's a "merger"..............just like CanAm and CART.

Sorry to hear PCM wont make it.

!!WALDO!!
25th March 2008, 02:06
It's a "merger"..............just like CanAm and CART.

Sorry to hear PCM wont make it.

CanAm and CART.....Merger......My god I was working for CART when the CanAm failed, I sure do not remember a merger.

!!WALDO!!
25th March 2008, 02:47
Wasn't it more like F5000 that (the teams at least) became CART? The original - real - CanAm was dead before CART. It was the made up replacement with F5000s with fenders that was CanAm 2.

Well here is the history Can Am died at RA in 1974. The F-5000 was already in place. USAC/SCCA ran the F-5000 as a so called feeder, only Danny Ongais moved up.
USAC moved in 1977 to F-V leaving the SCCA to run F-5000 and it failed so they restarted the CanAm based on F-5000 chassis and by 1983 it was dead and sold to Bill Tempero who ran it and the 1985 Can-Am Champ was Rick Miaskiewicz and he came to Indy but DNQ in his 85 March. Tempero, then took the CAN-AM and moved it back to Indy Cars, known as the AIS, the American Indycar Series. A weak series that gave us Buddy Lazier, Jacques Lazier, Johnny Unser and Robbie Unser. The series was sold and died about 6 years ago.
No connection at all to CART.

weeflyonthewall
25th March 2008, 14:34
Just wondering....how short would the end of that stick have been had the CCWS owners just decided to close up shop totally after Long Beach because they didn't want to spend any more of their money, leaving everyone without anywhere to go, and after the IRL was already well into their season?

Were things really as bad as what KK says they were? When is the BK hearing? The truth may then be a matter of public record.

Part of the BUSINESS of motorsports is recruiting the sponsorship to run the business. Some can, some can't.

Not a question of who can or can't get sponsors. PCM had one of the best commercial agents in the industry. What's the benefit to get involved?Circumstances weren't the best since the series principals couldn't agree on what direction to take. Some of the weekend festivals were a good concept but local businesses made it known they saw the races more of an inconvenience.

indycool
25th March 2008, 14:49
The bankruptcy hearing may or may not show how much money each of The Amigos threw into it that is now gone. It's Thursday.

PCM originally said it would be a part of the new series. Now, apparently not, although rumors are that they might merge in some form with Rahal-Letterman.

What was the benefit to get involved before?

bblocker68
25th March 2008, 14:58
CanAm and CART.....Merger......My god I was working for CART when the CanAm failed, I sure do not remember a merger.

You miss the intention. I see this "merger" as being a "merger" as much as CART and CanAm was a "merger". People don't understand that the latest happenings in AWOR is not a merger at all. The staunch CC supporters feel as though they should have equal rights, which I dont see where they have the rights to make any demands. CC was absorbed, people! I followed the series as closely as anyone, but I saw that wholesale changes needed to be made after the DP-01 didn't deliver the goods. I think I may have a more even temper about this stuff becasue this is not the first "merger" I've seen with open wheel cars. I find it tough to log in over at CCF becasue the overt bitterness is hard to read.

Some guys are just finding it really hard to accept.

I'll say it once and I'll say it again. Adapt or become extinct.

!!WALDO!!
25th March 2008, 17:41
You miss the intention. I see this "merger" as being a "merger" as much as CART and CanAm was a "merger". People don't understand that the latest happenings in AWOR is not a merger at all. The staunch CC supporters feel as though they should have equal rights, which I dont see where they have the rights to make any demands. CC was absorbed, people! I followed the series as closely as anyone, but I saw that wholesale changes needed to be made after the DP-01 didn't deliver the goods. I think I may have a more even temper about this stuff becasue this is not the first "merger" I've seen with open wheel cars. I find it tough to log in over at CCF becasue the overt bitterness is hard to read.

Some guys are just finding it really hard to accept.

I'll say it once and I'll say it again. Adapt or become extinct.

True but some came from Can-Am before it shut down because they needed to move up. So it wouldn't be any different for Trueman and Haas if they own Dodges and bought a Porsche, rather than Porsche merging with Dodge and winning the fight and you now forced to buy a Porsche.
They elected to leave the Can-Am to come to CART.

My problem is the so called "historians" have mentioned this for 10 years with nothing to back it up.

SarahFan
25th March 2008, 17:44
PCM was never going to survive a merger...regardless of the size of the stick

weeflyonthewall
26th March 2008, 01:39
What was the benefit to get involved before?

Before or after they crunched the numbers to determine how much it would cost to put together a competitive car out of the rubbish made available to them?

weeflyonthewall
26th March 2008, 01:40
PCM was never going to survive a merger...regardless of the size of the stick

Was Tyler interested in an oval centric series? I think not.

tbyars
26th March 2008, 02:35
Was Tyler interested in an oval centric series? I think not.

And that's fine, weefly, if that is the motivation for not coming over.

There are plenty of options for him in Europe, and a couple of good sportscar series in the US.

But, hopefully, for anyone participating in American Open Wheel racing, its just going to be a fact that, from here forward, they are going to have to participate in oval racing, natural road course racing and street course racing. That means folks will have to adjust or find another series to run. (And, yes, that means folks like A.J. Foyt and John Barnes as well.)

That's the only way the sport will begin to regain it's greatness. Think of it as a growing process.