PDA

View Full Version : What's that odd sound out of the Williams?

Marbles
21st March 2008, 15:41
With about 21 minutes remaining in the 2nd practise the Speed broadcast went to an in-car of Nakajima's Williams and under braking it sounded as if... well... it sounded as if he was driving over railway tracks? It turned out to be his fastest lap so I don't think anything was broken but it certainly was a curious sound. The commentators were too busy with their schtick to notice but it can be heard when they pause ever so briefly to draw a breath.

Anyone else notice or have any ideas what it it? The car bottoming out is the only thing I can think of but it definitely was the only car making this noise that I picked up on.

ioan
21st March 2008, 17:27
With about 21 minutes remaining in the 2nd practise the Speed broadcast went to an in-car of Nakajima's Williams and under braking it sounded as if... well... it sounded as if he was driving over railway tracks? It turned out to be his fastest lap so I don't think anything was broken but it certainly was a curious sound. The commentators were too busy with their schtick to notice but it can be heard when they pause ever so briefly to draw a breath.

Anyone else notice or have any ideas what it it? The car bottoming out is the only thing I can think of but it definitely was the only car making this noise that I picked up on.

Maybe it was when the car was going over the kerbs?

call_me_andrew
21st March 2008, 19:39
Could have been the curb, could have been bottoming out, could have been downshifting...

wmcot
21st March 2008, 19:42
The results of a bit of bad food??? ;)

Marbles
21st March 2008, 23:31
I cranked the audio on it so beware!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fosL5zgjeRw

I think it's bottoming out. It certainly isn't the curbs. No conspiracy theories here, I just thought it to be an odd sound coming from an F1 car. Never heard it before

Kevincal
21st March 2008, 23:35
Sounds like "tap tap tap tap tap" but it's not loud to me, but audible. Dunno.

71minus2
21st March 2008, 23:43
hmmm, sounds more exhaust based than engine based.

Richard.

Stuartf12007
22nd March 2008, 02:02
its a small child locked inside the engine cover, and tapping morse code.

gloomyDAY
22nd March 2008, 02:27
Backfire from the exhaust?

Valve Bounce
22nd March 2008, 02:35
I cranked the audio on it so beware!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fosL5zgjeRw

I think it's bottoming out. It certainly isn't the curbs. No conspiracy theories here, I just thought it to be an odd sound coming from an F1 car. Never heard it before

It's the noise from Marbles rolling around the floor of the car. :D

Azumanga Davo
22nd March 2008, 08:43
It sounds like there is a bit of fuel going into the exhaust when the RPM comes down.

Might be more noticable with the exhausts nearer the camera and sound pickup, perhaps?

A strange one I noticed from practice in Australia, anyone know why Fisichella had damage to the car immediately behind his head in Practice on Friday?

Zico
22nd March 2008, 10:46
Backfire from the exhaust?

My opinion too...

Can anyone clear up the TAG ECU situation for me, are these totally sealed, ie same ignition timing/fueling maps for all.. or?

If not.. could they be running the engine a tad richer than the norm to aid cooling in such a hot climate? Just a thought...

Azumanga Davo
22nd March 2008, 15:15
My opinion too...

Can anyone clear up the TAG ECU situation for me, are these totally sealed, ie same ignition timing/fueling maps for all.. or?

If not.. could they be running the engine a tad richer than the norm to aid cooling in such a hot climate? Just a thought...

Then again, if the rain does come, that strategy for safety goes out the window...

markabilly
23rd March 2008, 01:13
wonder if they figured out, somehow, how to get around the ECU and do some TC such as dumping fuel into the exhaust if rpms act a certain way, that does not depend on the ECU....maybe they have found out something like what happens if you push certain buttons in a certain sequence....

Valve Bounce
23rd March 2008, 02:14
wonder if they figured out, somehow, how to get around the ECU and do some TC such as dumping fuel into the exhaust if rpms act a certain way, that does not depend on the ECU....maybe they have found out something like what happens if you push certain buttons in a certain sequence....

...........like shifting into reverse?

maxu05
23rd March 2008, 04:25
Its the rats on the conveyor belt bumping their heads on the bodywork as they take the corner :D

Valve Bounce
23rd March 2008, 04:29
Or Barney's feet peddling like mad through the holes in the floor. :p :

maxu05
23rd March 2008, 04:51
I can just imagine Betty and Wilmer being grid girls, and Bam Bam working the pits :laugh:

Valve Bounce
23rd March 2008, 04:51
I can just imagine Betty and Wilmer being grid girls, and Bam Bam working the pits :laugh:

:up:

Azumanga Davo
24th March 2008, 04:23
Its the rats on the conveyor belt bumping their heads on the bodywork as they take the corner :D

This theory is just garbage to be quite honest.

Not once did I hear, "BANG! Ow, sh$%, that hurt!" Nowhere in that video, I tell yas. :D

wmcot
24th March 2008, 07:43
This theory is just garbage to be quite honest.

Not once did I hear, "BANG! Ow, sh$%, that hurt!" Nowhere in that video, I tell yas. :D

Besides, rats leave their own sort of "marbles" on the racing line and would be banned by Charlie Whiting for that! :)